PDA

View Full Version : "Curse of Shoeless Joe"? *****

WinOrDyeTrying
10-08-2005, 06:05 PM
Has anyone knowticed that ESPN has been playing up the curse that the Sox have? During the game 3 intro, Berman says something along the lines of "Can Chicago break the curse of shoeless joe". Attn ESPN: WE ARE NOT THE CUBS! From now on, just to throw people off, anyone who asks me about the curse (Im in detroit) Im just going to tell them the real one is the curse of Royce Clayton. Im just hoping this died in the ALDS.

ShoelessJoeS
10-08-2005, 06:06 PM
Time to cue Hal's signature....

buehrle4cy05
10-08-2005, 06:08 PM
Curses are used when a team doesn't play well for years and years, and can't admit that they were a bad team. They form an excuse that is in the form of a curse.

Chips
10-08-2005, 06:08 PM
Curses? I have never heard any Sox fan blame any our losing or failure to win a championship because of a curse. What a bunch of ****ing idiots.

Daver
10-08-2005, 06:09 PM
Curses are used when a team doesn't play well for years and years, and can't admit that they were a bad team. They form an excuse that is in the form of a curse.

:iron

The past is for cowards and losers.

SOXSINCE'70
10-08-2005, 06:10 PM
I was at Shoeless Joe's Friday afternoon.There were no curses.:D: :D:
At least not after the 6th inning.:D: :D:Oops.That should be cursing,
not curses!

RKMeibalane
10-08-2005, 06:37 PM
<Insert incredibly overused chunks tag>

JB98
10-08-2005, 06:49 PM
The only "curse" the White Sox have had through the years is bad ownership, bad management and bad play. ESPN can stick it where the sun doesn't shine. How dare they patronize us with that bull****?

WinOrDyeTrying
10-08-2005, 06:52 PM
The only "curse" the White Sox have had through the years is bad ownership, bad management and bad play. ESPN can stick it where the sun doesn't shine. How dare they patronize us with that bull****?

But what about the curse of Royce Clayton!

JB98
10-08-2005, 06:55 PM
But what about the curse of Royce Clayton!

Like I said, if you consider bad play a "curse"......
:D:

SoxSpeed22
10-08-2005, 07:01 PM
Like I said, if you consider bad play a "curse"......
:D::graff"Worked for me."

JBJas42
10-08-2005, 07:38 PM
I don't know, I'd rather hear Berman talk about any curse than his childhood in New England and how the Red Sox carry the hearts of the whole Northeast with them everytime they play. Thankfully, I only had to watch Game 3 (and only the last few innings since I had to work), but seriously, I felt like wretching when he couldn't stop talking about the freaking Red Sox after they lost the series. :angry:

In the future though, it doesn't bother me if espn or fox puts on some cutesie story about Shoeless Joe, Buck Weaver, et al. If it makes a few kids get mystified by White Sox history and come out to the ballpark, all the better in my book,

longshot7
10-08-2005, 08:30 PM
The past is for cowards and losers.

And time travellers!!

Corlose 15
10-08-2005, 08:36 PM
What's interesting about the "curse" of Shoeless Joe is that the blacksox incident actually had a tangible effect on the franchise. That scandal practically destroyed the franchise and they didn't recover for 40 years. If the Sox win the 1919 WS they possibly win quite a few more, we never see the Yankees win their 26 championships and no one gives a rats ass about the Cubs in Chicago.

Daver
10-08-2005, 08:38 PM
What's interesting about the "curse" of Shoeless Joe is that the blacksox incident actually had a tangible effect on the franchise. That scandal practically destroyed the franchise and they didn't recover for 40 years. If the Sox win the 1919 WS they possibly win quite a few more, we never see the Yankees win their 26 championships and no one gives a rats ass about the Cubs in Chicago.

Charles Comiskey disagrees with you.

He would have traded what he could to improve his bottom line.

Corlose 15
10-08-2005, 08:41 PM
Charles Comiskey disagrees with you.

He would have traded what he could to improve his bottom line.

Good Point. I'm kind of conflicted on the Old Roman because he started the franchise but if he wasn't such a cheap SOB the scandal probably never would have happened.

TDog
10-08-2005, 08:54 PM

Add playing in the American League during the Yankees dynasty. The Sox were a strong, competitive, even winning team throughout the '50s and into the mid-'60s, just before I came of age as a fan. They have only one World Series to show for it. With no playoff system in place and no free agent draft, the Yankees shut every AL team out of the postseason in the '50s, except for Cleveland in '54 and the Sox in '59. In 1964, the Sox had one of the best seasons in the history of the franchise with nothing to show for it. There was some bad baseball to follow, for sure, but for a very long time the Yankees never gave other teams a chance to win.

SoxandtheCityTee
10-08-2005, 09:29 PM
We don't have a curse: we have a Jenks.
:wink:

LongLiveFisk
10-08-2005, 09:38 PM

I agree. If you don't win, it's because you weren't good enough from top to bottom. Front office personnel to players. There is a whole lot that has to click for you to win. And for a long time, we just haven't had that here. Using some curse as an excuse is just that: an EXCUSE.

Stroker Ace
10-08-2005, 09:48 PM
The only "curse" the White Sox have had through the years is bad ownership, bad management and bad play. That's exactly what I say.

Banix12
10-08-2005, 10:14 PM
We don't have a curse: we have a Jenks.
:wink:
My god, that's bad. However it's funny in that "worst thread ever" kind of way. :D:

TornLabrum
10-08-2005, 11:07 PM
See below.