PDA

View Full Version : Glover: Starter or Reliever

beausox
07-27-2001, 01:43 PM
Glover did well yesterday, is his future as a starter or a reliever. I think with all the arms we have his real value lies as a reliever any thoughts?

doublem23
07-27-2001, 02:08 PM
With the arms we have, Glover really has 2 career paths:

A) He becomes the next Sean Lowe for the Sox. He's destined to bullpen duty, but can spot start for you and fill a hole in the rotation.

B) Someone else notices him, and is intrigued. Somehow (whether it be by trade of free agency, the former being more likely than the latter, in my opinion) Glover goes somewhere else were he gets the chance to start.

Soxboyrob
07-27-2001, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by beausox
Glover did well yesterday, is his future as a starter or a reliever. I think with all the arms we have his real value lies as a reliever any thoughts?

Why not try him as a starter for a while. It seems foolish not to explore the possibility. His stuff is "all good" and he's had a history of starting as a professional. It's not as if it would be a major stretch. My sneaking suspicion is that Glover is a diamond in the rough just waiting for a chance to flourish.

Iguana775
07-27-2001, 03:33 PM
i say let him start a few games and see how he does. what do we have to lose???? give garland some more time in the pen.

or maybe JM is thinking of using glove as the started while wright is in the pen and the switch them after a few weeks.

Soxboyrob
07-27-2001, 03:37 PM
What I've heard and read is that Wright will start and Glover will go back to being a reliever, which goes completely against my belief that rookie pitchers ought to sow their oats as relievers and earn the right to start. It works wonders for eliminating the jitters that young starters often exhibit on the mound. Look at what the bullpen seems to have done for Kip Wells and Garland. I guess the Sox are predestined to make the same mistakes w/ Wright, instead of putting the more experienced and savvy Glover in for some starts. Too bad.