PDA

View Full Version : Rooney & Farmer's 6th Inning Yesterday

Brian26
10-08-2005, 03:49 PM
It was possibly the best inning of broadcasting they have ever done. Unfortunately I had to work a full day yesterday, so I didn't get out of the office until 5pm. I didn't get back into the city until 6:15, so I listened to the radio broadcast from the 6th until the 9th inning on the train.

Marte's theatrics to begin the 6th put Farmer in a total tizzy, and I've never heard a Sox broadcaster so adamant about not wanting a guy on the roster anymore. Farmio didn't hold back one bit. He let his feelings known, and Rooney did the same thing. Rooney mentioned that there is a real problem when you have to think back four weeks to the last time Marte had one effective inning, and Farmer basically said if Marte can't throw strikes, he shouldn't be on the team.

Then, with the bases loaded and Duque in there, Rooney painted the most incredible picture, describing the dire situation. Farmer was conceding one run, and even suggested walking Varitek instead of giving him a chance to hit. Rooney called all of the foul balls in the long at-bats, and kept the suspense up high on each pitch from the stretch, making sure to point out that Duque wasn't giving in. After the third out by Damon, Rooney and Farmer finished off their metaphor that began with Varitek's pop-up. Rooney said get the wand, cape, and hat, because Duque is a magician....Farmer said Duque was ready to pull a rabbit out next.

I think AM 1000 is playing clips from the inning as a promo spot during some of their shows today. It's a shame most people in Chicago didn't get to hear it and were stuck with blowhard Berman instead. This may have been one of the best innings of White Sox radio ever.

ilsox7
10-08-2005, 03:56 PM
This may have been one of the best innings of White Sox radio ever.

It certainly was one of the greatest innings played in recent White Sox history.

34 Inch Stick
10-08-2005, 04:02 PM
I still don't know how he got out of that inning. There was lots of good pitching coupled with overanxious Red Sox hitters.

Imagine a 3-2 count with bases loaded lasting half an hour and you get an idea of what that inning was like. I imagine that if I had to listen to that on the radio I would have been jumping out of my skin with anxiety.

ilsox7
10-08-2005, 04:14 PM
I still don't know how he got out of that inning. There was lots of good pitching coupled with overanxious Red Sox hitters.

Imagine a 3-2 count with bases loaded lasting half an hour and you get an idea of what that inning was like. I imagine that if I had to listen to that on the radio I would have been jumping out of my skin with anxiety.

A good point was made by someone who said that El Duque was so effective in part b/c he was throwing pitches just out of the zone that were too close to take with 2 strikes but too much out of the hitting zone to do much with. Truly an amazing performance that will go down in Chicago history.

4th Gen. Sox Fan
10-08-2005, 04:15 PM
I was listening and did I ever want to jump out of my skin, from the moment they brought in Marte to the moment El Duque stuck out Damon, I must have aged 10 years in those thirty minutes

FARMEO
10-08-2005, 04:20 PM
I have to agree, John and Ed did an amazing job describing that inning, it doesn't get any better. I am going to miss Rooney!!

harwar
10-08-2005, 04:31 PM
Without roones & farmio that game would have been hard to listen too as we all know about berman's total integrity breakdown.
I had both espn1000 and the national radio coverage as well and the guys doing the game on the espn radio side did a darn good job.

JohnBasedowYoda
10-08-2005, 04:31 PM
i'll agree here. i was listening at work and it was great! we have a tv in back but i refused to ruin the moment by listening to berman wheeze his boston kissfest into my eardrums

ja1022
10-08-2005, 04:33 PM
I got in my car when Marte was throwing (I'm not going to call it pitching) to Olerud. You're right, it was great radio. I had to make my way through a bunch of lights, and must have looked like I was nuts to anyone that observed me yelling at the radio (****in' Marte), and then abusing my steering wheel and having conniption fits as I hung on the call of every pitch from Mr.Hernandez. Geez. All those different emotions over a game that we're not even playing. God, ain't it great?

Chips
10-08-2005, 04:45 PM
I wish I could have listened to it. Fortunately, I was at the bar and didn't have to listen to Berman.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Actually I was getting pissed off at Farmer during that inning. Sure, he was going off on Marte but who wouldn't? He was only stating the obvious, Farmer's specialty.

What pissed me off was during El Duque's gutsy performance, Farmer was going on and on about it being okay to walk a guy. Meanwhile Hernandez isn't giving an inch, but Farmer just keeps going on and on -- and we're talking about the tying run here.

Un****ing beleivable... Rooney was fine, but Farmer just couldn't let it go. "A walk wouldn't be bad... not with the bases loaded." I'm guessing he thought he was making a great point, oblivious to the greatest pitching performance we have witnessed all season long happening right under his nose.
:o:

WHAT A ****ING LOSER ED FARMER IS! Is it any wonder the '83 Phillies fell flat on their ass with guy's like that pitching key innings?

:farmer
"What are you talking about, PHG? I was 0-6 with a 6.08 ERA facing the pitcher every ninth hitter. Where do you get off calling me a ****ing loser?"

Droso5
10-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Ja1102, I was in the car at exactly the same time listening to the broadcast. Man, when Marte came in I friggin' lost it, hitting the steering wheel, yelling etc. How frustrating it was, and hearing Rooney and Farmer go nuts was nerve racking too. Although I must say I did look around in between pitches at every stop light and saw a few people doing the same thing too.

SOXSINCE'70
10-08-2005, 06:39 PM
I was listening and did I ever want to jump out of my skin, from the moment they brought in Marte to the moment El Duque stuck out Damon, I must have aged 10 years in those thirty minutes

I went through every emotion from anxiety to "OH MY GOD!"
to 'WHY MARTE,OZZIE,WHY?!?!?" to euphoria when 'Duque
got Varitek to foul out,Graffanino to hit an infield pop up,
and Jesus (I mean Johnny) Damon to commit to a checked
swing strike 3.I was exhausted after the 6th.Couldn't party
too much.Too damn tired after all the anxiety.
I'm glad I don't have to go for a physical in the next few weeks.
My BP might be off the charts.And my food choices at times
might make my cholesterol levels a bit too high for any EMT.

batmanZoSo
10-08-2005, 07:28 PM
I will always remember watching that inning, pacing, standing, sitting, standing and chain-smoking and then being in silent bewilderment when AJ put the tag on Damon to end the frame.

RadioheadRocks
10-08-2005, 07:50 PM
After the third out by Damon, Rooney and Farmer finished off their metaphor that began with Varitek's pop-up. Rooney said get the wand, cape, and hat, because Duque is a magician....Farmer said Duque was ready to pull a rabbit out next.

Hey, do I detect a new song idea for one of our players?

(cueing up The Marvelettes): "My Baby Must Be A Magician, cause he sure got the magic touch!" (boiiiiiiinnnnggg!!!)

Dick Allen
10-08-2005, 08:32 PM
Rooney mentioned that there is a real problem when you have to think back four weeks to the last time Marte had one effective inning, and Farmer basically said if Marte can't throw strikes, he shouldn't be on the team.

Marte actually had a good inning last weekend against Cleveland, 8th inning of game 1. But Ozzie couldn't leave well enough alone and brings him out to start the 9th. Result=extra innings.

na_na_na_na
10-08-2005, 08:41 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/video/mlb_tv.jsp

has this game video synced up with Rooney and Farmers call. It's awesome.

elrod
10-08-2005, 08:45 PM
If you subscribe to MLB Audio you can listen to it archived at the 2:58 mark.

Iron Dragon
10-08-2005, 08:55 PM
We left for our weekend in Ohio yesterday, right about the 5th inning or so. I had Rooney and Farmer, and they were awesome by the way, on the radio in the car and was verbally lambasting Marte to my wife, who looked rather annoyed because I was already angry at the stupid drivers around here. Then after El Duque got the 3rd out, I showed her the goose bumps on my arm, she laughed. THAT, was championship-winning baseball.

bahn1225
10-09-2005, 12:40 AM
One can only hope that John Rooney will be the primary announcer for ESPN
and that some of their present tools (Berman, et al)
will be "designated for assignment."

The Wall
10-09-2005, 01:21 AM
PHG nailed it about Farmer. Its one thing to mention that a bases loaded walk is a good thing sometimes but its totally annoying to talk about the merits of that like 500 times. He did not come around until the count was 2-2 to Damon by which time he was, as PHG said it, stating the obvious by saying Sox fans should get greedy and get out of the inning by giving up nothing. Thank you captain obvious :angry:

Brian26
10-09-2005, 01:29 AM
PHG nailed it about Farmer. Its one thing to mention that a bases loaded walk is a good thing sometimes but its totally annoying to talk about the merits of that like 500 times. He did not come around until the count was 2-2 to Damon by which time he was, as PHG said it, stating the obvious by saying Sox fans should get greedy and get out of the inning by giving up nothing. Thank you captain obvious :angry:

Farmio is riding this because last year during the ALDS between the Angels and Red Sox, Ed supposedly text-messaged Rooney (who was doing radio pbp with Buck Martinez for ESPN) and told him "a walk here is not all that bad." This was when the bases were loaded, and Vlad Guerrero wasn't walked, but instead hit a grand slam.

So now Farmer wants a walk any time a power hitter comes up with the bases loaded.:rolleyes:

LuvSox
10-09-2005, 08:42 AM
I heard most of that inning while on the road. They reminded me why I enjoy listening to baseball on the radio. It was gripping, every pitch. Once I reached my destination I stayed in the car to hear the end. What a game!

BainesHOF
10-09-2005, 09:01 AM
I recorded the radio broadcast and will have it ready to trade hopefully sooner rather than later.

Pasqua's Posers
10-09-2005, 10:38 AM

Agreed! I was watching the game, but had Rooney and Farmer playing in my ears on the headphones. There was a 5 second time lapse from radio to tv, but it was worth it not to hear that fat piece of garbage lambast the Sox.

I felt like I just went 3 five-minute MMA rounds after that game. I must have aged 6 months-but it was worth it!
:smile:

MrRoboto83
10-09-2005, 11:43 AM
I taped both the tv and radio broadcasts and will be combining the radio audio over the tv when I transfer the game to DVD. I hope to do this on all the ALCS and World Series.

Hopefully when we win the WS they will come out with a DVD box set of all the games, just like Boston from last year.

Erik The Red
10-09-2005, 11:44 AM
I recorded the radio broadcast and will have it ready to trade hopefully sooner rather than later.
Awesome.

fusillirob1983
10-09-2005, 02:52 PM
I heard the start of the 6th inning when Dye got on and Konerko homered. My brother and I were talking about how long it took to get home (I was picking up my marathon packet at McCormick place) but how strange it was that not even a full inning passed. I think the inning was meant to be long. I ran in my house just int time to see Graffanino pop out.

flo-B-flo
10-09-2005, 03:11 PM
Friday was my 10th wedding anniversary. My wife works nights so, after work I was making runs getting us something to eat so we could eat together at her place of employ. The whole ride there I was listening to Rooney and Farmer. It kept fading in and out and there is no FM station to go to for better reception. Several FM stations out here will pick up the scl-- games. Gripping gripping action. When Damon struck out for the last out I let out a primal scream at a stop light. The two elderly ladies stopped in the lane next to me rolled up their windows and locked their doors. The kids in the back were laughing their asses off. My wife let me watch the next 2 innings while we ate. I watched the last inning at home. When the game ended she called "to see if I was still breathing". She had watched the rest of the game when I left.

JohnBasedowYoda
10-09-2005, 03:13 PM
I taped both the tv and radio broadcasts and will be combining the radio audio over the tv when I transfer the game to DVD. I hope to do this on all the ALCS and World Series.

Hopefully when we win the WS they will come out with a DVD box set of all the games, just like Boston from last year.

very cool!

LuvSox
10-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Friday was my 10th wedding anniversary. My wife works nights so, after work I was making runs getting us something to eat so we could eat together at her place of employ. The whole ride there I was listening to Rooney and Farmer. It kept fading in and out and there is no FM station to go to for better reception. Several FM stations out here will pick up the scl-- games. Gripping gripping action. When Damon struck out for the last out I let out a primal scream at a stop light. The two elderly ladies stopped in the lane next to me rolled up their windows and locked their doors. The kids in the back were laughing their asses off. My wife let me watch the next 2 innings while we ate. I watched the last inning at home. When the game ended she called "to see if I was still breathing". She had watched the rest of the game when I left.

Great story, congrats on your anniversary. After the inning was over I finally got out of my car and attended a banquet. My wife called me right away to make sure I knew the outcome of the inning because I had left the house just as Marte was pitching to Olerud. She knew I was pissed off.

pczarapa
10-10-2005, 09:47 PM
It was possibly the best inning of broadcasting they have ever done. Unfortunately I had to work a full day yesterday, so I didn't get out of the office until 5pm. I didn't get back into the city until 6:15, so I listened to the radio broadcast from the 6th until the 9th inning on the train.

Marte's theatrics to begin the 6th put Farmer in a total tizzy, and I've never heard a Sox broadcaster so adamant about not wanting a guy on the roster anymore. Farmio didn't hold back one bit. He let his feelings known, and Rooney did the same thing. Rooney mentioned that there is a real problem when you have to think back four weeks to the last time Marte had one effective inning, and Farmer basically said if Marte can't throw strikes, he shouldn't be on the team.

Then, with the bases loaded and Duque in there, Rooney painted the most incredible picture, describing the dire situation. Farmer was conceding one run, and even suggested walking Varitek instead of giving him a chance to hit. Rooney called all of the foul balls in the long at-bats, and kept the suspense up high on each pitch from the stretch, making sure to point out that Duque wasn't giving in. After the third out by Damon, Rooney and Farmer finished off their metaphor that began with Varitek's pop-up. Rooney said get the wand, cape, and hat, because Duque is a magician....Farmer said Duque was ready to pull a rabbit out next.

I think AM 1000 is playing clips from the inning as a promo spot during some of their shows today. It's a shame most people in Chicago didn't get to hear it and were stuck with blowhard Berman instead. This may have been one of the best innings of White Sox radio ever.

I'm really going to miss Rooney next year, he's great, but Farmer is the best.