PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox do want Konerko

Fenway
10-08-2005, 02:10 PM
Sean McAdam, Peter Gammons have been on the WEEI wake of the Red Sox this afternoon and of course #1 topic is Manny.

McAdam who is pretty plugged in with Red Sox baseball operations said the Red Sox would be willing to take Carlos Beltran in a trade for Manny. The Red Sox would then overbid for Konerko (12-13 M) in the hope that JR would choke on that figure. Gammons added that a lot depends on how far the White Sox go in the post-season.

SOXintheBURGH
10-08-2005, 02:12 PM
We can worry about this kind of stuff when OUR season is over.

TimoPerez
10-08-2005, 02:13 PM
The Mets would never give Carlito for Manny. Even if they do, Carlito has a full no trade clause and said that he wants to stay in New York to prove that he can play well.

Fenway
10-08-2005, 02:16 PM

Our biggest problem right now is we may not have a GM after October 31st. The team and Theo way apart on salary. Epstein is currently making 350K

Epstein said the big downside of going deep in the post-season is you lose so much time planning for the next season.

Konerko would solve our 1B problem....

MRKARNO
10-08-2005, 02:16 PM
I bet the Red Sox don't even get the opportunity to sign him. I could easily see Pauly re-signing with the White Sox before he even goes on the open market at about 11-12 mil a year, especially if the White Sox make the World Series. If they dont get out of the ALCS, it might be a different story though...

ChiSoxKB83
10-08-2005, 02:20 PM
I thought I recently read somewhere that Paulie said he didn't have any interest in going to the Red Sox, that he didn't like the city of Boston as much as Chicago ...

Brian26
10-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Our biggest problem right now is we may not have a GM after October 31st. The team and Theo way apart on salary. Epstein is currently making 350K

Epstein said the big downside of going deep in the post-season is you lose so much time planning for the next season.

Konerko would solve our 1B problem....

Does this thread belong in either Talking Baseball or What's the Score?

Fenway- I don't care about this. Why would you post this in the White Sox clubhouse a day after we swept your team? Maybe this speculation belongs on SOSH.

I'm just trying to put myself in your shoes....last year, a day after the Red Sox beat the Yankees, I could never imagine myself logging onto SOSH and posting that the White Sox wanting to acquire <insert Red Sox player here>.
It just seems in appropriate given that a.) we are celebrating right now and b.) the season isn't over yet for us.

Don't mean to come down on you, because I generally like your posts. This seems like you're trying to stir the pot a little though.

Chips
10-08-2005, 02:23 PM
I bet the Red Sox don't even get the opportunity to sign him. I could easily see Pauly re-signing with the White Sox before he even goes on the open market at about 11-12 mil a year, especially if the White Sox make the World Series. If they dont get out of the ALCS, it might be a different story though...

I think he resigns with US for about 10 million plus incentives.

Fenway
10-08-2005, 02:29 PM
I put it in Sox Clubhouse only because Gammons and McAdam spent 15 minutes on it. The Manny part of the equation will happen quickly, they don't want that time bomb ticking and when it does they HAVE to somebody to take his place.

Fenway- I don't care about this. Why would you post this in the White Sox clubhouse a day after we swept your team? Maybe this speculation belongs on SOSH.

I'm just trying to put myself in your shoes....last year, a day after the Red Sox beat the Yankees, I could never imagine myself logging onto SOSH and posting that the White Sox wanting to acquire <insert Red Sox player here>.
It just seems in appropriate given that a.) we are celebrating right now and b.) the season isn't over yet for us.

Don't mean to come down on you, because I generally like your posts. This seems like you're trying to stir the pot a little though.

Brian26
10-08-2005, 02:32 PM
I put it in Sox Clubhouse only because Gammons and McAdam spent 15 minutes on it. The Manny part of the equation will happen quickly, they don't want that time bomb ticking and when it does they HAVE to somebody to take his place.

I guess I have a problem with the New England/Boston Red Sox mentality that you guys own the world and you can come cherry-pick anyone off our team you desire to fix your problems and make everything right with the world.

**** Gammons.

MUsoxfan
10-08-2005, 02:32 PM

I wonder why he doesn't give himself a raise and an extension like a certain football GM in this city

MUsoxfan
10-08-2005, 02:33 PM
I guess I have a problem with the New England/Boston Red Sox mentality that you guys own the world and you can come cherry-pick anyone off our team you desire to fix your problems and make everything right with the world.

**** Gammons.

Also the northside mentality

Chips
10-08-2005, 02:33 PM
I wonder why he doesn't give himself a raise and an extension like a certain football GM in this city

Ted Phillips gave him that extension

34 Inch Stick
10-08-2005, 02:34 PM
Sean McAdam, Peter Gammons have been on the WEEI wake of the Red Sox this afternoon and of course #1 topic is Manny.

McAdam who is pretty plugged in with Red Sox baseball operations said the Red Sox would be willing to take Carlos Beltran in a trade for Manny. The Red Sox would then overbid for Konerko (12-13 M) in the hope that JR would choke on that figure. Gammons added that a lot depends on how far the White Sox go in the post-season.

Is Paulie going to be in the starting rotation or in relief. If he is not in one of those holes then the Red Sox are not focusing on their real problem.

beckett21
10-08-2005, 02:34 PM

:kneeslap:

:roflmao: :rolling:

beckett21
10-08-2005, 02:35 PM
Ted Phillips gave him that extension

Same thing.

Two peas in a pod. :hug:

voodoochile
10-08-2005, 02:38 PM

I moved it to WTS because this thread is a timebomb ticking...

Please hold off on posting post season rumor stuff until after the season is over. I really don't need more headaches right now and this has "fight thread" written all over it.

We're still in the playoffs, Fenway.

34 Inch Stick
10-08-2005, 02:39 PM
Rule #1- Don't tell anyone about Fight Thread

SOXSINCE'70
10-08-2005, 02:42 PM

Exactly.Who cares if the Blow Sawx want Konerko??He's even gone
on record as saying he's not interested in playing in Bah-ston.He may
change his mind,but I doubt it.I hope he stays,but Uncle Jerry's gonna
have to have the cajones to tell his partners that if they expect to
make the Post season year after year,that $72 Mil payroll is going to have
to bumped into the mid 80's-low 90's,IMHO.

Fenway
10-08-2005, 02:44 PM

**** Gammons.

He is a "free agent" and maybe one of the best names out there. Gammons says a lot of teams are flush with cash this off-season and there are very few big names out there so there will be a lot of silly money being spent.

As much as Boston would like to cut payroll they can't if they expect fans to keep paying 80-85 a seat. Getting rid of Manny will be a PR nightmare unless they get a bat to protect Ortiz. Konerko is one of the few names out there that fans will accept.

The system stinks, but with no salary cap or true revenue sharing it will keep happening.

Chisox003
10-08-2005, 02:45 PM

It belongs in the ****house, that's where.

We're going to the ALCS and all the East Coast mediots can talk about is stealing our guys because they have billion dollar payrolls?

**** off Gammons ... Sox fans, let's worry about this during OUR offseason when WE are talking about how important PK is to OUR Sox repeating in 2006

Fenway
10-08-2005, 02:48 PM
I moved it to WTS because this thread is a timebomb ticking...

Please hold off on posting post season rumor stuff until after the season is over. I really don't need more headaches right now and this has "fight thread" written all over it.

We're still in the playoffs, Fenway.

I understand

I was just passing on what was being said here.

jabrch
10-08-2005, 02:52 PM
I understand

I missed the part where anyone cares.

Brian26
10-08-2005, 02:54 PM
He is a "free agent" and maybe one of the best names out there.

He's a free agent after the ****ing season is over and we're done negotiating with him in our non-compete period. As of right now, he's the property of the Chicago White Sox, who are four wins away from the World Series. :angry:

Chisox003
10-08-2005, 03:02 PM
I understand
Fenway, I dont think anyone is mad at you directly (I'm not anyway), you've been pretty classy, as have a lot of Boston fans, in defeat. My opinion of you guys has changed greatly since yesterday, to be honest.

However, WE are still playing, and being White Sox fans, it is EXTREMELY frustrating to read how the best team a lot of us have ever seen is going to be dismantled after this season is all said and done.

I just wish these jackasses would give us a little respect, especially since we just swept them right out of the damn postseason, and wait until November to speculate how many/which players they'll need to buy another championship.

/Rant

Fenway
10-08-2005, 03:07 PM
The real culprit here is Manny who starts talking about changing agents to help him get traded before our season ended.

Boras ( and other agents ) drive this talk. It will only get worse when the Yankees go bye bye

Selig COULD put an end to it but he won't

Fenway, I dont think anyone is mad at you directly (I'm not anyway), you've been pretty classy, as have a lot of Boston fans, in defeat. My opinion of you guys has changed greatly since yesterday, to be honest.

However, WE are still playing, and being White Sox fans, it is EXTREMELY frustrating to read how the best team a lot of us have ever seen is going to be dismantled after this season is all said and done.

I just wish these jackasses would give us a little respect, especially since we just swept them right out of the damn postseason, and wait until November to speculate how many/which players they'll need to buy another championship.

/Rant

ilsox7
10-08-2005, 03:17 PM
The real culprit here is Manny who starts talking about changing agents to help him get traded before our season ended.

Boras ( and other agents ) drive this talk. It will only get worse when the Yankees go bye bye

Selig COULD put an end to it but he won't

I wonder if ESPN will ditch all coverage of the ALCS and just go with Hot Stove news instead if the Yankees are also eliminated. And this is a serious question.

Fenway
10-08-2005, 03:49 PM
I wonder if ESPN will ditch all coverage of the ALCS and just go with Hot Stove news instead if the Yankees are also eliminated. And this is a serious question.

Gammons said he would be in Chicago Tuesday night and then would cover St Louis/Houston...

But he said "it will be great for baseball if the White Sox can make Chicago a 2 team city again in the national eye"

beckett21
10-08-2005, 03:54 PM
But he said "it will be great for baseball if the White Sox can make Chicago a 2 team city again in the national eye"

...despite the best efforts of his colleagues and employers...

How gracious of you Pete! Thanks a lot buddy! :thumbsup:

:rolleyes:

Chips
10-08-2005, 04:18 PM
...despite the best efforts of his colleagues and employers...

How gracious of you Pete! Thanks a lot buddy! :thumbsup:

:rolleyes:

...and the rest of the national sports media that forgets our team exists.

jabrch
10-08-2005, 04:18 PM
The "national eye" can kiss my a$$. The Bandwaggon jumping national media, who fawned all over the Cubs a few years ago, fawned all over the Red Sox last year, loves Billy Beane, wants to make millions more by broadcasting Yanks/RedSox, rather than actually get the best teams, and can't wait for a shot to slam our boys can go and bite me.

I'm in it for us - the Sox fans.

gf2020
10-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Or so Phil Rogers would have you believe...

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/12852152.htm

According to major-league sources, the Twins and Tigers were watching Konerko in September with an eye on entering the bidding to sign him. It is not as clear whether the Indians will have interest but their first baseman, Ben Broussard, drove in only 68 runs in 142 games and was among the biggest reasons for their losing six of their last seven games.
I'll eat my beautiful looking Division champions hat if the Twins outbid Paulie. Rogers points to the revenue from the Nationals sale, but we get the same exact share they do. If they can't afford Jacques Jones and might have to trade Hunter, why would Paulie sign there and how could they afford him?

As for the Tigers, we can thank Maggs for serving as an example. Why go to that craphole to lose 90 games? (The city and the team)

Vernam
10-08-2005, 10:18 PM
This isn't based on any media report, but my biggest fear for the off-season is that an East Coast team with deep pockets will lure Don Cooper away. Our pitching staff is dominant, but it's not really full of dominant guys -- several are reclamation projects of the first order. The same way Yankee fans started sizing up Aaron after his catches in NYC, I guarantee the Boss has noticed how Coop did what Stottlemyre could not do with Contreras.

Losing Konerko would bother me, too, obviously. But it might be unavoidable, because if they could pick up three Pierzynski-type players for the price of Paulee's new contract, I know what would (probably should) happen. On the other hand, losing Coop may be quite avoidable, even though he's a native New Yorker. It would be the best few-hundred-thousand bucks KW ever spends.

Vernam

Fenway
10-09-2005, 02:36 PM
Last line by Bill Madden in the NY Daily News....hot stove is cooking

We will also find out how far White Sox board chairman Jerry Reinsdorf will go to retain Paul Konerko, the best power hitter on the market, and what the Padres do with their 38-year-old franchise closer, Trevor Hoffman.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/353975p-301808c.html

Ol' No. 2
10-09-2005, 02:58 PM
Last line by Bill Madden in the NY Daily News....hot stove is cooking

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/353975p-301808c.htmlMaybe your season is over, but I'd like to finish THIS SEASON first before we start worrying about who's leaving and who's coming.

Fenway
10-09-2005, 03:02 PM
Maybe your season is over, but I'd like to finish THIS SEASON first before we start worrying about who's leaving and who's coming.

I agree with you 100%

But we all know how this works

agents call the writers ( especially Gammons ) to find out what the GM's are thinking GM's do likewise about the agents. They can't talk directly, that would be tampering.

Back in 1996 Clemens agents lied to Gammons about where Clemens was going as they wanted to keep Toronto off the radar.

Ol' No. 2
10-09-2005, 03:18 PM
I agree with you 100%

But we all know how this works

agents call the writers ( especially Gammons ) to find out what the GM's are thinking GM's do likewise about the agents. They can't talk directly, that would be tampering.

Back in 1996 Clemens agents lied to Gammons about where Clemens was going as they wanted to keep Toronto off the radar.I know exactly how it works. It's an elaborate kabuki dance designed to avoid the tampering rules. Which is exactly why none of it should be listened to. It's 99.44% BS.