PDA

View Full Version : Sox sending Singleton to Texas for Rogers?

Jerry_Manuel
12-09-2001, 09:32 PM
By Phil Rogers
Tribune baseball reporter
December 9, 2001 8:45 PM CST
BOSTON - Gary Glover is 24 years old. Kip Wells has made 47 career starts. They were the oldest and the most experienced pitchers, respectively, in the White Sox's rotation when last season ended.

Even factoring in the return of 26-year-old Jim Parque from shoulder surgery, the rotation would average about 23.5 years and only 35 to 40 career starts, with the other four picked from a group that includes Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland, Dan Wright, Glover and Wells.

While White Sox general manager Ken Williams loves these young starters, it would be bold to enter the season without an innings-eating veteran. With a crowded outfield, extra veteran middle infielders and a wealth of intriguing arms, the Sox could add one this week.

Two winters ago Milwaukee handed them Cal Eldred and Jose Valentin for Jaime Navarro and John Snyder. That deal turned into an AL Central title.

It's hard to predict a trade that significant developing this week. But it could happen between the Sox and the Texas Rangers. According to major-league sources, the Rangers would like to move end-of-the-line lefties Kenny Rogers (5-7, 6.19 ERA) and Darren Oliver (11-11, 6.02) off their payroll and are interested in Sox center fielder Chris Singleton.

For a much higher price, Texas would deal 31-year-old right-hander Rick Helling, who has averaged 15 wins and 217 innings over the last four years. He is positioned to seek $6 million or more in arbitration.

OfficerKarkovice
12-09-2001, 09:36 PM
Helling would be a good pick up for us.

Daver
12-09-2001, 09:39 PM
Kenny Rogers is done,put a fork in him.He has nothing left.

Oliver is close to being the same,but may have another year in him,but will need a lot of help from the bullpen.

Helling is a real possibility depending on what the Sox give up.

But then again what the hell do I know?

WinningUgly!
12-09-2001, 09:59 PM
I wouldn't mind getting Helling, but all Rogers & Oliver are good for is throwing batting practice.

RedPinStripes
12-10-2001, 01:41 AM
Texas wants pitching. Why would they deal helling ? It makes no sense to me. I'd love to have him here though. Oliver and Rogers are usless.

bringbackrobin
12-10-2001, 03:25 AM
All three of those guys are signed to quite hefty contracts, and only Helling is worth anything close to his pay.

MarqSox
12-10-2001, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Texas wants pitching. Why would they deal helling ? It makes no sense to me. I'd love to have him here though. Oliver and Rogers are usless.

Texas needs pitching, that's true, but I imagine they'd much rather move Helling so they can get their young pitchers in for some work... their pitching was so horrid last year that they might just want to wipe the slate clean.

czalgosz
12-10-2001, 09:31 AM
Great - that's what we need - more of the Rangers' useless payroll to clutter up next year's roster. I have no idea why they'd trade Helling (he's the closest thing they have to a decent starter) and like Daver said - Rogers is done, as is Oliver.

I understand the need for a veteran innings-eater for next season - if not a #1 guy, at least a #3 or a #4, but don't waste your time with anyone in the Rangers' rotation.

In any case, they could save money, get a better pitcher, and keep Singleton if they really want to simply be re-signing David Wells. It doesn't take a brain surgeon...

MarqSox
12-10-2001, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

In any case, they could save money, get a better pitcher, and keep Singleton if they really want to simply be re-signing David Wells. It doesn't take a brain surgeon...

I'll toast to that. :gulp:

bringbackrobin
12-10-2001, 01:06 PM
Texas needs pitching, that's true, but I imagine they'd much rather move Helling so they can get their young pitchers in for some work...

I don't believe Texas has any young starters to break in. Myette, Justin Duscherer, and Rob Bell are all 24, but they get schellacked two out of three starts so its not like the Rangers have to find innings for them. KW is making a big mistake if he takes Helling, Oliver, or Rogers. Just give 'em Singleton for free. Actually, we could fix a lot of problems if we trade Singleton and Clayton for Myette and Perry. Then we could just pretend this whole Clayton thing never happened.

Foulke You
12-10-2001, 01:18 PM
Helling is intriguing. He's not a savior by any means but he is a legitimate veteran starter who could take some of the pressure off of Buehrle and the other young arms. I like Singleton but if we could get Helling for him and maybe a minor leaguer, I think it would be worth it. Of course, they should check his labrum REAL closely if they make a deal. No more of this pitching MASH unit next year. I agree with the rest of you though on Rogers and Oliver. I think both of those guys are best suited for long relief at this point in their careers and is not the veteran starter we need.

bringbackrobin
12-10-2001, 04:15 PM
In 215.2 innings last year, Helling had a 5.17 ERA while allowing 256 walks and 63 hits. That's a worse ERA than Lowe, Garland, David Wells, Baldwin, Howry, Barcelo, Kip Wells, Glover, and even Alan Embree had last season. Tell me again why we need this guy? If you're not god enough to pitch for the Rangers, you're not good enough for anybody.

AsInWreck
12-10-2001, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by bringbackrobin

we could fix a lot of problems if we trade Singleton and Clayton for Myette and Perry. Then we could just pretend this whole Clayton thing never happened.

And then we could trade the player to be named
from the perry trade for season tickets at the
Metrodome!

czalgosz
12-10-2001, 05:37 PM
Helling had a 5.17 ERA while allowing 256 walks and 63 hits.

I take it you mean 256 hits and 63 walks? That would be a lot of walks...

FarWestChicago
12-10-2001, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Helling had a 5.17 ERA while allowing 256 walks and 63 hits.

I take it you mean 256 hits and 63 walks? That would be a lot of walks... :walk

I could do it!

AsInWreck
12-10-2001, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
Helling would be a good pick up for us.

Hey, You're going to get me in trouble here at work!

PaleHoseGeorge
12-10-2001, 05:59 PM
Knowing KW, the player to be named later in the Perry trade will be Brian Schmack, the "other" pitcher we gave Texas for inheriting their Royce Clayton problem. KW isn't smart enough to get Aaron Myette back.

As for the rest of the Texas pitchers, why would we want any of them? Better to have no veteran pitcher than to add a lousy, overpaid one.

kermittheefrog
12-10-2001, 08:01 PM
Okay what the hell? I posted a while ago that Rogers has the same qualifications as Wells:

-Old
-Lefty
-Has a ring
-Played for the Yanks
-Tossed a perfect game

I didn't mean for them to take it to heart, damn. I should keep my mouth shut, Kenny listens to me too much :smile:

Daver
12-10-2001, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Okay what the hell? I posted a while ago that Rogers has the same qualifications as Wells:

-Old
-Lefty
-Has a ring
-Played for the Yanks
-Tossed a perfect game

I didn't mean for them to take it to heart, damn. I should keep my mouth shut, Kenny listens to me too much :smile:

Yeah Kermit,shut up.

Damn troublemakers...........

:)

longshot7
12-10-2001, 08:04 PM
I wouldn't mind Helling, but those other guys make me sick. Whio are we, the Devil Rays?

Jerry_Manuel
12-10-2001, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by longshot7
Whio are we, the Devil Rays?

If it wasn't for a last minute stadium deal we would be. :(:

Tragg
12-10-2001, 08:48 PM
Rogers wasn't any good when he was good.

Now he's bad and he's real bad.

Spare us this deal, Kenny Williams.

FarWestChicago
12-10-2001, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Rogers wasn't any good when he was good.LOL!! I like that, Tragg. :D:

Dadawg_77
12-10-2001, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

If it wasn't for a last minute stadium deal we would be. :(:

Come on that has to be the longest minute in the history of humankind. I knew the Big Jim was powerfull but able to stop time, now thats god like.