PDA

View Full Version : Rainout is a good thing

Chicken Dinner
10-08-2005, 02:41 PM
With the rain in NY, this means that the Angles and Yanks will have to possibly play on Monday. That's a lot of jetting back in forth accross the country and they will probably be dragging big time when the get to Chitown. :smile:

jfinsocal
10-08-2005, 02:44 PM
I wonder if the Angels will move Colon up and start this game? Same with Mussina? I suspect it will be Colon vs. Chacon on Sunday.

ilsox7
10-08-2005, 02:46 PM
I wonder if the Angels will move Colon up and start this game? Same with Mussina? I suspect it will be Colon vs. Chacon on Sunday.

With the Angels having the series advantage, I am guessing they will "gamble" and not start Colon until a potential Game 5. That way, if they win Game 4, Colon is set for Game 1 of the ALCS.

Frater Perdurabo
10-08-2005, 02:47 PM
With the rain in NY, this means that the Angles and Yanks will have to possibly play on Monday. That's a lot of jetting back in forth accross the country and they will probably be dragging big time when the get to Chitown. :smile:

The later this other series goes, the more the opposing pitchers will be tired for the ALCS. Let's hope it goes five games and extra innings, too.

Meanwhile, the Sox have three days to rest the entire bullpen, and if the rotation stays the same, Contreras, Buehrle and Garcia each will have had one full week of rest.

Not that it means a thing, but the last time the Sox had a three day break was the All Star game. What happened then? They swept Cleveland!

:supernana:

RKMeibalane
10-08-2005, 02:56 PM
With the Angels having the series advantage, I am guessing they will "gamble" and not start Colon until a potential Game 5. That way, if they win Game 4, Colon is set for Game 1 of the ALCS.

That's fine with me. I'd love to see the Sox pound his fat ass next week.

MUsoxfan
10-08-2005, 03:05 PM
I'm excited at the thought of this somewhat major inconvenience of both these teams. Advantage = Good guys!

johnny bench
10-08-2005, 03:09 PM
After yesterday's game Garcia said that the long layoff between starts effected him negatively. Not sure that long rest is necessarily a good thing.

Simulated games anyone?

JB

Chips
10-08-2005, 03:11 PM
I hope that means Contreras is going to start game 1, even though Ozzie said he is going to go with Garland, this gives him a week to change his mind.

gosox3072
10-08-2005, 04:09 PM
Dont know if anyone posted this yet, but if this series goes to 5 games on monday in LA, will the ALCS be moved back to a Wednesday game 1. If not either team will have traveled from NY to LA to CHI in 24 hours. Nice deal!

UofCSoxFan
10-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Not sure what airports the teams uses but this gives you a rough if not exact idea about how brutal this would be...

All times Chicago time:

Sunday: 6:30 pm Game 4
9:30 pm Game 4 ends
11:00 pm Depart JFK
New York (JFK) to LA (LAX) 2437 miles...about 6hrs
Monday 5:00 am arrive at LAX
600 pm Game 5 (game time is TBA....I'm guessing here)
9:00 pm Game 5 ends.....
11:30 pm Depart LAX
LA (LAX) to CHI (MDW) 1724 miles...about 4 hours
Tuesday 3:00 am arrive at MDW
6:00 pm....face the best team in the AL

not fun: 10 hours of flights, over 4000 miles....all in less than 30 hours.

JET LAG

ChiSoxRowand
10-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Dont know if anyone posted this yet, but if this series goes to 5 games on monday in LA, will the ALCS be moved back to a Wednesday game 1. If not either team will have traveled from NY to LA to CHI in 24 hours. Nice deal!

It would still probably start Tuesday.

StillMissOzzie
10-08-2005, 05:16 PM
The travel arrangements certainly sound brutal if they go to 5 games, but for another reason that may be beneficial to the Sox, neither team can afford to save ANYBODY for tomorrow. For the loser, there is no tomorrow.

SMO
:gulp:

mpshans
10-08-2005, 05:50 PM
I am on vacation in new york (state not the city) and when I heard that the game was pushed back a day I was very excited. The next round will still start on tues. No matter who wins game 5 if there is one will be dead tired on tues. Lets go yanks

FielderJones
10-08-2005, 08:17 PM
Dont know if anyone posted this yet, but if this series goes to 5 games on monday in LA, will the ALCS be moved back to a Wednesday game 1.

Linky?

Kogs35
10-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Not sure what airports the teams uses but this gives you a rough if not exact idea about how brutal this would be...

All times Chicago time:

Sunday: 6:30 pm Game 4
9:30 pm Game 4 ends
11:00 pm Depart JFK
New York (JFK) to LA (LAX) 2437 miles...about 6hrs
Monday 5:00 am arrive at LAX
600 pm Game 5 (game time is TBA....I'm guessing here)
9:00 pm Game 5 ends.....
11:30 pm Depart LAX
LA (LAX) to CHI (MDW) 1724 miles...about 4 hours
Tuesday 3:00 am arrive at MDW
6:00 pm....face the best team in the AL

not fun: 10 hours of flights, over 4000 miles....all in less than 30 hours.

JET LAG

they would arrive at 5am if they left at 11:30 pm at lax or onterio airport

JBJas42
10-08-2005, 09:11 PM
All I saw on mlb.com was this:

MLB's original postseason calendar had Monday as the on-scene workout day prior to Tuesday's start of the ALCS, now guaranteed to open in Chicago's U.S. Cellular Field, where the White Sox compiled the league's best record at 99-63.

Saturday's rainout could deny the winner of this series that opportunity to work out -- unless the Angels are able to close out the Yankees here on Sunday night. In the event of additional postponements and a series that goes the five-game distance, the start of the ALCS would simply have to be pushed back.

As of that moment, it seemed like the ALCS would still start on Tues. unless there was another rainout. They could've changed their minds though and decided to just push the ALCS back to Wed. I don't think that would exactly be fair though... to the Sox or their fans that had planned on Tues. and Wed. for the ALCS in Chicago.