PDA

View Full Version : Bud Selig once again doesnt live up to his word

JimEdmonds15
10-08-2005, 12:25 PM
Late start a problem
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
10/07/2005

http://images.stltoday.com/stltoday/resources/selig08big.jpg

Sen. Christopher "Kit" Bond, R-Mo., called baseball Commissioner Bud Selig on Friday to talk about the decision to start Game 3 of the series between the Cardinals and Padres at 10:09 p.m. today (St. Louis time).

Selig indicated he had no choice because of television commitments, but Bond said baseball could have done better - and in fact had promised three years ago in a similar situation to do so. In the 2002 postseason, when the Cards had a similar start against the Arizona Diamondbacks, Selig said he was sorry at the time and that, "I told our people, no more 10 p.m. starts. That's the end of it."

In an interview Friday, Selig said today's situation is unusual.

"It's one of those rare days in the playoffs where we have four games (scheduled) and it's just very, very difficult," he said. "The networks have a lot of football commitments. We've done what we could do. It was the only date where we have a chance for this to happen, and it did."

Selig characterized the call with Bond as "a very friendly, very constructive discussion."

[Blah.. Blah..] (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/5D379D7FCA9F7D09862570940018F54B?OpenDocument)

Not that I really care anymore.. I'm still watching them although I dont like the late start times especially when he said we wouldnt have another game at 10 pm..

SOXintheBURGH
10-08-2005, 01:29 PM
"Proud to Be Your" Bud at it again. Drillrod.

MRKARNO
10-08-2005, 01:44 PM
Football games routinely start at very late times like that, especially many college football games. I understand that this is a playoff game for baseball and they are only regular season games for the college football world, but ESPN has to fulfil both contractual obligations. It simply cannot have two games going on at once and up until 7 PM last night, there was nothing certain about there being no game at 12 PM today.

Football games end late all the time and no one says a damn thing. There is clearly a double standard applied to baseball and honestly Bud Selig needs to be more vocal about that instead of retreating and yelling "Sorry, Sorry, Sorry!" MNF starts at, what, 9 PM ET? It ends probably around 12:30 am? It's a fricken regular season game and no one complains about that. But when the World Series games end at a similar time, everyone gets really pissed off.

samram
10-08-2005, 02:25 PM
Football games routinely start at very late times like that, especially many college football games. I understand that this is a playoff game for baseball and they are only regular season games for the college football world, but ESPN has to fulfil both contractual obligations. It simply cannot have two games going on at once and up until 7 PM last night, there was nothing certain about there being no game at 12 PM today.

Football games end late all the time and no one says a damn thing. There is clearly a double standard applied to baseball and honestly Bud Selig needs to be more vocal about that instead of retreating and yelling "Sorry, Sorry, Sorry!" MNF starts at, what, 9 PM ET? It ends probably around 12:30 am? It's a fricken regular season game and no one complains about that. But when the World Series games end at a similar time, everyone gets really pissed off.

I completely agree about the double standard. Football gets a free pass on a lot of things that baseball for which baseball is criticized, but that's a discussion for another thread.

As for this game time issue, I would be more upset if I were a Padres' fan since game 1 started at 10 AM local time. There was no reason Atlanta and Houston shouldn't have played in that slot.

Fenway
10-08-2005, 02:32 PM
2 years ago Boston played Oakland in a late start and the game ended at 2:45 AM in the East. (on a Wednesday)

10 PM Central on a Saturday night however isn't that bad ( tho it stinks for the kids )

But this is the clown that also promised that he would ask FOX to televise at least one World Series game with a 6 PM Eastern start on weekends.

Late start a problem
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
10/07/2005

http://images.stltoday.com/stltoday/resources/selig08big.jpg

Sen. Christopher "Kit" Bond, R-Mo., called baseball Commissioner Bud Selig on Friday to talk about the decision to start Game 3 of the series between the Cardinals and Padres at 10:09 p.m. today (St. Louis time).

Selig indicated he had no choice because of television commitments, but Bond said baseball could have done better - and in fact had promised three years ago in a similar situation to do so. In the 2002 postseason, when the Cards had a similar start against the Arizona Diamondbacks, Selig said he was sorry at the time and that, "I told our people, no more 10 p.m. starts. That's the end of it."

In an interview Friday, Selig said today's situation is unusual.

"It's one of those rare days in the playoffs where we have four games (scheduled) and it's just very, very difficult," he said. "The networks have a lot of football commitments. We've done what we could do. It was the only date where we have a chance for this to happen, and it did."

Selig characterized the call with Bond as "a very friendly, very constructive discussion."

[Blah.. Blah..] (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/5D379D7FCA9F7D09862570940018F54B?OpenDocument)

Not that I really care anymore.. I'm still watching them although I dont like the late start times especially when he said we wouldnt have another game at 10 pm..

SOXSINCE'70
10-08-2005, 03:19 PM
Never trust a former used car salesman.:angry: :angry:

No teal needed.

Chips
10-08-2005, 04:01 PM
I don't blame Bud as much the networks who already have contracts for other sports, like the college football games that are being played every night of the week. But the guy is still a tool.

tebman
10-08-2005, 04:12 PM
Never trust a former used car salesman.:angry: :angry:

No teal needed.
I was thinking the same thing. There are a lot of synonyms for Selig, many of which wouldn't make it past the language filters here.

A historical note: if you read the epilogue of "Veeck As In Wreck," in which Bill describes his group's purchase of the White Sox in 1975, you learn that Selig was in the lead to prevent Veeck from coming back into the game. Selig and Ted Bonda of Cleveland were the "advisory committee on expansion and realignment," and told Veeck that his investor group was underfinanced. All nonsense, of course, and Veeck knew it. When he pressed Selig and Bonda for the real reason, they told him that he was too "old and beat-up."

At that time MLB was facing a lawsuit from the Seattle for taking the Pilots in 1970 and moving them to (Selig's) Milwaukee to become the Brewers. MLB's plan, which Selig was heading up, was to move the White Sox to Seattle and eliminate the lawsuit. Veeck wouldn't have it, and you know the rest of the story.

Thirty years later we're celebrating a postseason series win. If Selig says he's happy about it, check to be sure you still have your wallet.

SOXSINCE'70
10-08-2005, 06:20 PM
I was thinking the same thing. There are a lot of synonyms for Selig, many of which wouldn't make it past the language filters here.

A historical note: if you read the epilogue of "Veeck As In Wreck," in which Bill describes his group's purchase of the White Sox in 1975, you learn that Selig was in the lead to prevent Veeck from coming back into the game. Selig and Ted Bonda of Cleveland were the "advisory committee on expansion and realignment," and told Veeck that his investor group was underfinanced. All nonsense, of course, and Veeck knew it. When he pressed Selig and Bonda for the real reason, they told him that he was too "old and beat-up."

At that time MLB was facing a lawsuit from the Seattle for taking the Pilots in 1970 and moving them to (Selig's) Milwaukee to become the Brewers. MLB's plan, which Selig was heading up, was to move the White Sox to Seattle and eliminate the lawsuit. Veeck wouldn't have it, and you know the rest of the story.

Thirty years later we're celebrating a postseason series win. If Selig says he's happy about it, check to be sure you still have your wallet.

Thanks,Tebman.For the record,I still believe Alan "Pud" Selig and
Uncle Jerry helped get Fay Vincent tossed out of the Commisioner's
Office in 1992 because they saw the '94 impasse coming a mile away.
But hey,that's just me.

buehrle4cy05
10-08-2005, 06:25 PM
I feel for you, man. That's really a rip-off that they start the game at 10:00 Central, which means you will be staying up until about 1:00. Plus, if the Cards win, then you want to watch postgame coverage, which could keep you up until 2:00 a.m. Good thing it's a weekend.

SOXSINCE'70
10-08-2005, 06:30 PM
Good thing it's a weekend.

I don't know about your body clock,but my Sunday is shot
after a night like that.I'll be napping on the couch all day,
making it impossible to sleep Sunday night.

buehrle4cy05
10-08-2005, 06:36 PM
I don't know about your body clock,but my Sunday is shot
after a night like that.I'll be napping on the couch all day,
making it impossible to sleep Sunday night.

Beats watching the Bears.:rolleyes:

SOXSINCE'70
10-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Beats watching the Bears.:rolleyes:

Yes,depending on the offense,that might put me to sleep.:D:

SouthSide_HitMen
10-08-2005, 09:54 PM

The Cardinal game doesn't start until 11:09 EDT. It will end around 2:30 AM Sunday EDT. That is unacceptible.

The schedule for the weekend should be (all times Eastern Noon, 3, 6 and 9 (or each start puched one hour forward meaning the final game starts at 10 pm)). Outside of midnight college basketball brought to you by the pimps at ESPN no sport starts games at 11:09 PM Eastern.

No excuse. Lies from Bud par for the course. He will never be anything more than a lying used car salesman and he should be banned for life.

http://www.dvdbreakdown.com/pix/11_screenshots/Fargo1.jpgGUSTAFSON OLDS GARAGE

Jerry is sitting in his glassed-in salesman's cubicle just off the showroom floor. On the other side of his desk sit an irate customer and his wife.

CUSTOMER - We sat here right in this room and went over this and over this!

JERRY - Yah, but that TruCoat -

CUSTOMER - I sat right here and said I didn't want no TruCoat!

JERRY - Yah, but I'm sayin', that TruCoat, you don't get it and you get
oxidization problems. It'll cost you a heck of lot more'n five hunnert -

CUSTOMER - You're sittin' here, you're talkin' in circles! You're talkin' like
we didn't go over this already!

JERRY - Yah, but this TruCoat -

CUSTOMER - We had us a deal here for nine-teen-five. You sat there and
darned if you didn't tell me you'd get this car, these options, WITHOUT THE SEALANT, for nine-teen-five!

JERRY - Okay, I'm not sayin' I didn't -

CUSTOMER - You called me twenty minutes ago and said you had it! Ready to make delivery, ya says! Come on down and get it! And here ya are and you're wastin' my time and you're wastin' my wife's time and I'm payin' nineteen-five for this vehicle here!

JERRY - Well, okay, I'll talk to my boss...

He rises, and, as he leaves:

JERRY - See, they install that TruCoat at the factory, there's nothin' we
can do, but I'll talk to my boss.

The couple watch him go to a nearby cubicle.

CUSTOMER - These guys here - these guys! It's always the same! It's always
more! He's a liar!

WIFE - Please, dear.

CUSTOMER - We went over this and over this -

NEARBY CUBICLE

Jerry sits perched on the desk of another salesman who is eating lunch as he watches a hockey game on a small portable TV.

JERRY - So you're goin' to the Gophers on Sunday?

SALESMAN - You betcha.

JERRY - You wouldn't have an extra ticket there?

SALESMAN - They're playin' the Buckeyes!

JERRY - Yah.

SALESMAN - Ya kiddin'!

JERRY'S CUBICLE

Jerry re-enters.

JERRY - Well, he never done this before, but seein' as it's special circumstances and all, he says I can knock one hunnert off that
TruCoat.

CUSTOMER - One hundred! You lied to me, Mr. Lundegaard. You're a bald-faced liar!

Jerry sits staring at his lap.

CUSTOMER - ... A ****ing liar -

WIFE - Bucky, please!

Jerry mumbles into his lap:

JERRY - One hunnert's the best we can do here.

CUSTOMER - Oh, for Christ's sake, where's my goddamn checkbook. Let's get this over with.

Brian26
10-08-2005, 11:17 PM
Wow. It's 11:15 here now, and they're only in the 4th inning. That is nuts. I don't mind staying up late to watch, but what about all the kids in St. Louis who are Cardinals fans? Should they need to stay up until 1am to see their team clinch? One way to make sure another generation of baseball fans doesn't lose interest in the game is to move these start times to earlier in the day.

samram
10-09-2005, 12:46 AM
1:44 now in the DC area and they're going to the bottom of the eighth.

Hangar18
10-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Thanks,Tebman.For the record,I still believe Alan "Pud" Selig and
Uncle Jerry helped get Fay Vincent tossed out of the Commisioner's
Office in 1992 because they saw the '94 impasse coming a mile away.
But hey,that's just me.

Hey .....the reason you "believe" it, is because ....ITS TRUE. Selig is nothing more than a YES man to the real people running the MLB. Selig is Jerry Lewis to Reinsdorfs Dean Martin or Costello to Uncle Jerrys Abbott. Fay Vincent knew what Uncle Jerry and his cohorts were up to, and took a pre-emptive strike back by saying he was going to BLOCK any strike or lock-out. Uncle Jerry didnt like this, and headed the group to run him out. They used the weak argument that he was "abusing" the "best interests of baseball" clause. The Cubs helped a great deal in the beginning of this mess .............remember when they said they feared losing their fanbase if they were put into the Western Division? What a bunch of bs, everyone (except the media-surprise,surprise) saw thru that, and knew WGN was getting away with financial-murder by having a majority of their games on during Prime Time, and would lose that windfall money if they had to play a couple of extra games vs West Coast teams.

jfinsocal
10-09-2005, 07:54 PM
This works both ways. East coast games regularly start at 10 AM PT and this isn't real convenient for many on the west coast either. You just deal with it but remember EDT isn't the nation's only time zone. Granted it would have been better to start the game at 7 or 7:30 instead of 8 but folks complaining about 11 PM starts need to realize that the country has four time zones. It made for good pre-game atmosphere here in SD and got over at about 11 o'clock right in time for bed.