PDA

View Full Version : Only NEGATIVE = BERMAN!

Pulaski
10-08-2005, 11:31 AM
How brutal was it to listen to Chris Berman yesterday? VERY BRUTAL! I felt like I was listening to Boston's home announcers. I was at Game # 1 and # 2 so I didn't get to hear, but I hope he was better then yesterday.

ESPN should be embarrassed for his over-emphasis on Boston and his excitement when Boston hit their home runs. If he is a fan of Boston that is fine; HOWEVER, do your job an an unbiased play-by-play announcer. DO YOUR JOB THE RIGHT WAY OR GET OUT OF THE BUSINESS!

Cambridge
10-08-2005, 11:36 AM
What's curious is that Red Sox fans, for the most part, hated the job Berman did. Many thought he was pro-White Sox. All in all, Berman (who I believe is a Giants fan) does not call a good baseball game.

One thing Red Sox fans did like: It could have been worse; it could have been McCarver or Morgan, both of whom are perceived as very anti-Red Sox.

Pulaski
10-08-2005, 11:37 AM
What's curious is that Red Sox fans, for the most part, hated the job Berman did. Many thought he was pro-White Sox. All in all, Berman (who I believe is a Giants fan) does not call a good baseball game.

One thing Red Sox fans did like: It could have been worse; it could have been McCarver or Morgan, both of whom are perceived as very anti-Red Sox.

Boston fans didn't like the way he called the game last night? I am shocked. All he did was talk about Boston.

soxjim
10-08-2005, 11:38 AM
Agree. When Manny hit his second homerun I thought I was listening to a rebroadcast of the homerun contest at the All Star Game with the back back back. Also with the cheerleading of the Ortiz flyball that was caught by Rowand. We got the last laugh a trip to the ALCS. What do you have to say about that Berman?

Unregistered
10-08-2005, 11:41 AM
All in all, Berman (who I believe is a Giants fan) does not call a good baseball game. After the game, a sullen Berman was talking about how he was born and raised in New England - and how he used to see the Red Sox play for $1.50, etc.

Make no mistake - the man was rooting for the Red Sox, but I also think he was doing his job of trying to make a national broadcast of the playoffs more dramatic by talking of scenerios that would tie the game and the series up. It's not easy to do when the White Sox have been leading since the first inning of the first game.

Pulaski
10-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Agree. When Manny hit his second homerun I thought I was listening to a rebroadcast of the homerun contest at the All Star Game with the back back back. Also with the cheerleading of the Ortiz flyball that was caught by Rowand. We got the last laugh a trip to the ALCS. What do you have to say about that Berman?

I can't recall who it was, but I believe it was Trot Nixo's lame duck fly ball (after Manny and Ortiz's back to back homers) that Berman went absolutely nuts thinking it was out of the park. HOW PATHETIC!

TomParrish79
10-08-2005, 11:42 AM
We got the last laugh a trip to the ALCS. What do you have to say about that Berman?

Well I think he did a 20 minute tribute to the Red Sox and what they have meant to the country over the last couple of years after the game had ended. He did everything but apologize to the nation on behalf of ESPN for the Red Sox losing.

soxjim
10-08-2005, 11:45 AM
I can't recall who it was, but I believe it was Trot Nixo's lame duck fly ball (after Manny and Ortiz's back to back homers) that Berman went absolutely nuts thinking it was out of the park. HOW PATHETIC!

You are right I think it was Trot Nixon's fly ball. I was just going nuts that it was caught.

dcb33
10-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Berman is such a tool. Another moment that made me want to puke was when Papelbon struck out Rowand to end the top of the 8th and he immediately screamed out something like "Yeah! There you go!" much the same way any of us biased fans would when a White Sox pitcher notches a strikeout.

chaerulez
10-08-2005, 11:49 AM
You are right I think it was Trot Nixon's fly ball. I was just going nuts that it was caught.

Funny thing is, it was just a routine fly ball. Berman was such a Red Sox homer, but what else do you expect from ESPN?

wxkid23
10-08-2005, 11:54 AM
Berman is horrible. I remember him from our 2000 series.. he is hell to listen to. Not only should he stay away from baseball.. he should keep his baseball to NY VS BOS games so he can show his utter love for them.

Also, how about Piazza? That dude looks like a little kid in there with Berman and Sutcliffe.. did Mike go on a weight-loss regimen too? lol

Cambridge
After the game, a sullen Berman was talking about how he was born and raised in New England - and how he used to see the Red Sox play for $1.50, etc.

Make no mistake - the man was rooting for the Red Sox, but I also think he was doing his job of trying to make a national broadcast of the playoffs more dramatic by talking of scenerios that would tie the game and the series up. It's not easy to do when the White Sox have been leading since the first inning of the first game.

Thanks for the info -- I wasn't aware of that. I was at the game last night, so I missed (for lack of a better term) his commentary.

As far as what ESPN and Fox wanted, nothing sells better than 1: drama, 2: Red Sox vs Yankees. I'm not saying it's right, but networks care about ratings. Period. They definitely wanted a five-game sreies, because it would have meant mre advertising revenue.

%$#^@ White Sox screwed it up :wink:

Corlose 15
If you want to see how big of a homer Berman is listen to the disdain in his voice when Duque struck out Damon. Pathetic. I'm glad we don't have to listen to his act anymore.

SaltyPretzel
10-08-2005, 11:56 AM
Ed Sherman of the Trib calls him out in this article:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-051007sherman,1,2430845.column?coll=cs-home-utility

TornLabrum
10-08-2005, 12:00 PM
Ed Sherman of the Trib calls him out in this article:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-051007sherman,1,2430845.column?coll=cs-home-utility

I wonder when Ed is going to call out the Tribune.

SoxFan76
10-08-2005, 12:01 PM
I noticed the BLATANT bias present in the announcing. The first 2 games, as Ed Sherman said, were not "too" bad. But yesterday, boy, that was brutal. I mean it wasn't much different than Hawk calling the game on CSN. Of course Hawk knows a little more about the game than Berman, but I'm talking about the blatant bias, this time towards the Red Sox.

Chicken Dinner
10-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Just wait until you have to listen to Joe Buck and Thom Breneman.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-08-2005, 12:57 PM
It wasn't about the White Sox winning, it was about the Red Sox' dream of back-to-back titles ending, if you listen to "Mr. Brown University".

lumpyspun
10-08-2005, 12:57 PM
I actually thought Sutcliffe was just as bad as Berman. One of his quotes I remember the most was something to this effect:

After Trot Nixon caught Crede's foul ball near the wall, he says, "That is an amazing catch, the white sox right fielder (didn't even say Dye) would not have caught that b/c he doesn't know these tricky angles."
- To say Dye doesn't know the walls would be one thing, but to flat out say that he wouldn't have caught it...c'mon, pack it up.

SOX ADDICT '73
10-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Berman is such a tool. Another moment that made me want to puke was when Papelbon struck out Rowand to end the top of the 8th and he immediately screamed out something like "Yeah! There you go!" much the same way any of us biased fans would when a White Sox pitcher notches a strikeout.
I was too into the game to notice it at the time, but I just watched the videotape of that moment -- what an ass!

All three of the announcers (Piazza being the least guilty, Sutcliffe probably just allowing his Scrubbie-blue to show, and Berman being by FAR the worst) were shamelessly cheerleading for the Red Sox the entire game.

Did anyone else notice, with all the close pitches by Damaso and El Duque in the 6th inning going Boston's way, that ESPN only used their "K-Zone" feature once? It showed that a called ball was actually a strike, and they never used it again, no matter how animated Ozzie got in the dugout.

skobabe8
10-08-2005, 01:05 PM
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4003/701/1600/berman2.jpg

I luuuuuuv google image search!

SOXintheBURGH
10-08-2005, 01:10 PM
My personal favorite was when the put the suicide on:

"There it is. Safe."

my5thbench
10-08-2005, 01:13 PM
what was with his last remark....WGN briefly lost their signal...ESPN

warned them that the sun might effect the satelite, hmmmm

is this the 1960's & I gotta' go up on the roof & turn the antenna

while my ol' man tunes the set & yells at me?

SOX ADDICT '73
10-08-2005, 01:13 PM
Still watching the tape...I would swear Berman had to choke back a sob when they threw the ball away trying to pick off Uribe in the ninth.

SOX ADDICT '73
10-08-2005, 01:45 PM
And the topper - Berman's listless call of the final out, and the first words out of his mouth when the ball hit Paulie's glove: "The Red Sox dream to repeat is over."

Not, "And the White Sox complete the sweep..." or "Chicago moves on to the ALCS..." Nope. As was most of the game, the final out had to be all about the Red Sox.

The Racehorse
10-08-2005, 01:48 PM

I too heard the "Yeah! There you go!" blast... pretty unprofessional.

cheeses_h_rice
10-08-2005, 01:56 PM
In Monk's we all noticed the lack of the "K-Zone" box on all those close calls that went against El Duque. Gee, I wonder why ESPN didn't use them on legitimately close calls?

itsnotrequired
10-08-2005, 03:13 PM
After Trot Nixon caught Crede's foul ball near the wall, he says, "That is an amazing catch, the white sox right fielder (didn't even say Dye) would not have caught that b/c he doesn't know these tricky angles."
- To say Dye doesn't know the walls would be one thing, but to flat out say that he wouldn't have caught it...c'mon, pack it up.

Remember when he also said something like "And look at those Boston fans getting out of the way so he can catch that ball."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2005-10/19860985.jpg

I'm not sure which game he was watching...

harwar
10-08-2005, 03:27 PM

Yea,whats up with breneman anyway.When we played the dbacks this year i was shocked at how he trashed the White Sox.I really liked the guy before that now i want no part of him.

tstrike2000
10-08-2005, 03:31 PM
I must be the only one, but I thought the trio of Berman, Sutcliffe, and Piazza was the most brutal I've heard in a long, long time. I couldn't stand listening to them for any amount of time. Berman and Sutcliffe are horribly annoying and Piazza doesn't have much announcing experience period. At least with Jon Miller, we'd have a classic kind of announcing voice and style that is tolerable.

nebraskasox
10-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Yah, my wife noticed that ESPN quit using the K zone after an obvious replayed strike by El Duque was called a ball. And Berman's constant reference to "the dream". What about OUR dream? (I know, Sox fans don't dare dream. We always get hurt.) Well, right now I'm dreaming of what this team can do.

Also, how about Sutcliffe saying how the Fenway crowd got to Marte causing him to walk two guys? Hello? Been watching Marte this year? When he's not walking guys, he's plunkin them in the back. The expression on Ozzie's face said "I've had enough" when he came out & called for Duque.

Fenway
10-08-2005, 03:46 PM
I must be the only one, but I thought the trio of Berman, Sutcliffe, and Piazza was the most brutal I've heard in a long, long time. I couldn't stand listening to them for any amount of time. Berman and Sutcliffe are horribly annoying and Piazza doesn't have much announcing experience period. At least with Jon Miller, we'd have a classic kind of announcing voice and style that is tolerable.

ESPN has Sean McDonough doing college football (what a waste)

WEEI made Red Sox fans happy as they matched their audio to the Comcast digital feed

What I would like ESPN to do is allow the over the air stations in the home markets to use the local guys ( but keep ESPN Video and commercials ) It wouldn't be that hard to do and local fans would be thrilled.

oh well don't worry Tim McCarver will soon make you want Berman back :?:

beckett21
10-08-2005, 03:50 PM

No he won't.

As much as I can't stand McCarver, at least he's a former player with some knowledge of the game. I can respect that.

Berman is a complete and utter moron who knows nothing about baseball, and arguably nothing about sports in general. His 15 minutes of fame were over 15 years ago.

whitesoxwin
10-08-2005, 03:50 PM
I didn't need to listen to Berman or any of the non-White Sox, pro-Red Cub crap.

Just turned on the radio, turned off the T.V. volume and listened to Rooney and Farmer.......

And that's a White Sox Winner!!!

lumpyspun
10-08-2005, 03:51 PM
ESPN has Sean McDonough doing college football (what a waste)

WEEI made Red Sox fans happy as they matched their audio to the Comcast digital feed

What I would like ESPN to do is allow the over the air stations in the home markets to use the local guys ( but keep ESPN Video and commercials ) It wouldn't be that hard to do and local fans would be thrilled.

No way, if out of town fans have to be subjected to Chris "brutal" Berman and Rick "I was at Harry Caray's Bar before game 1" Sutcliffe...then everyone must be subject to them! :rolleyes:

Mendoza Line
10-08-2005, 04:18 PM
The volume was off at the tavern I caught the game in, so NOTHING spoiled my pure shameless celebration!

When I watched the tape after getting home, some things I really hadn't noticed jumped out.
1. I think the blatant focus on Bobby Jenks as a "rookie against the mighty Boston club" was uncalled for and baffling to anyone who's seen him pitch... A Sportscenter recapper referred to him as Bobby Jenkins later that evening.

2. The recap of the Red Sox 04 WS victory during the 9th inning really seemed like a blatant way to detract from the historic moment for the White Sox..

3. All mentions of 1919. It's dirty and uncalled for, and has nothing to do with the players on the field.

Chisox003
10-08-2005, 04:22 PM
The volume was off at the tavern I caught the game in, so NOTHING spoiled my pure shameless celebration!

When I watched the tape after getting home, some things I really hadn't noticed jumped out.
1. I think the blatant focus on Bobby Jenks as a "rookie against the mighty Boston club" was uncalled for and baffling to anyone who's seen him pitch... A Sportscenter recapper referred to him as Bobby Jenkins later that evening.

2. The recap of the Red Sox 04 WS victory during the 9th inning really seemed like a blatant way to detract from the historic moment for the White Sox..

3. All mentions of 1919. It's dirty and uncalled for, and has nothing to do with the players on the field.
4. Berman pointed out in the pregame "The Curse of Shoeless Joe"

Sweet ESPN, very creative

You would think that they'd realize that if we wanted to make up artificial excuses and turn our team into what the northside is, it would have been done already. But ESPN would actually have to recognize there IS a team on the Southside before that happened.

:rolleyes:

Madvora
10-08-2005, 04:25 PM

Exactly. All the people at the bar I was at were super pissed when that came up.
I just watched the tape again and Berman's thing about being a Boston fan growing up and all of the generations of Red Sox fans who had been waiting forever for a World Series was sickening.
If anyone has the tape, watch the end of the game and listen to Berman almost crying about fans visiting the graves of relatives that never got to see the Red Sox win it all. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Pulaski
10-08-2005, 04:28 PM
I didn't need to listen to Berman or any of the non-White Sox, pro-Red Cub crap.

Just turned on the radio, turned off the T.V. volume and listened to Rooney and Farmer.......

And that's a White Sox Winner!!!

Trust me, I wish I could have done that; however, we were at a bar and they had te ESPN sound on.

batmanZoSo
10-08-2005, 06:59 PM
My personal favorite was when the put the suicide on:

"There it is. Safe."

That was beautiful. Boston was just helpless to do anything about it. We were making sure their season was done.

Jjav829
10-08-2005, 08:20 PM

I can't wait for Buck. I enjoy what Joe Buck does.

As for Berman; good riddance! The bias was so clear. You could tell just by the difference in HR calls. Konerko's HR, which untied the game for the Sox, got a simple, "Gone!" When Manny hit his second home run to make it a one-run game, Berman gave him a "GONE!!!" And the call of the final out was embarrassing. Berman sat there in silence until the out was recorded and then the first words out of his mouth were about the Red Sox losing, not the White Sox winning. Moron. I can't wait for the day when this sack of crap is GONE! from ESPN.

PaulDrake
10-08-2005, 10:13 PM
Boston fans didn't like the way he called the game last night? I am shocked. All he did was talk about Boston. Seriously. I wrote in another thread that I wanted to strangle him and I meant it. So many great announcers of the past put aside their own personal feelings and called a game the way it's supposed to be called. Chris Berman is everything that is wrong in today's sports journalism.

mrs. hendu
10-08-2005, 10:37 PM
How brutal was it to listen to Chris Berman yesterday? VERY BRUTAL! I felt like I was listening to Boston's home announcers. I was at Game # 1 and # 2 so I didn't get to hear, but I hope he was better then yesterday.

ESPN should be embarrassed for his over-emphasis on Boston and his excitement when Boston hit their home runs. If he is a fan of Boston that is fine; HOWEVER, do your job an an unbiased play-by-play announcer. DO YOUR JOB THE RIGHT WAY OR GET OUT OF THE BUSINESS!

I muted my TV after Manny's HR. :mad:

mrs. hendu
10-08-2005, 10:40 PM
I'm talking about the blatant bias, this time towards the Red Sox.

That's so uneccaptable in a national broadcast. :mad:

bahn1225
10-08-2005, 11:44 PM
One can only hope that John Rooney becomes the primary broadcaster for ESPN
and that their other tools (Berman, et al) will be
"designated for assignment."

Pulaski
10-08-2005, 11:57 PM
One can only hope that John Rooney becomes the primary broadcaster for ESPN
and that their other tools (Berman, et al) will be
"designated for assignment."

Amen to that!

Pulaski
10-10-2005, 01:28 PM
As I was driving back in to the City to day, I heard a segment on Dan Patrick's show. The segment was about "homer" calls. It reminded of the poor play-by-play of Berman in Game #3. I decided to send an email to Dan Ptrick's call.

Dan:
I listended to the end of your "no cheering" calls today and it gave me a chuckle. You should have had some of Berman's calls (from the White Sox - Bo-Sox: Game #3 of the ALDS) because they were such "homer" calls from the Boston side. This game was on ESPN 2, a Nationally Televised game and the So-Called Swamy was jumping out of his chair for Boston at every chance he had. ESPN should be embarrassed for letting this occur. His play-by-play was much more suited for the Boston area only. Do you remember hearing him call Trot Nixon's routine fly ball after the back to back (from Manny and Otiz)? If not, please go back and listen and you will understand. As for Berman, stick to Football highlights and do not call any sporting events going forward.
Sincerely,
PULASKI

chopperjc
10-10-2005, 02:35 PM

I am sorry to say but I listened to the radio broadcast of 2 innings on my way home from work on xm and Berman was worse than the hometown Red Sox announcers! So I believe your statement is incorrect.:tongue:

BigKlu59
10-10-2005, 02:44 PM
:gulp: Berman made me want to throw up. As has been stated by others,it was almost as if he was wearing a rally cap from the 6th inning on and not giving a damn about it. Worst bit of play by play I've ever heard in my life..... and that goes back some years rosin heads. What gets me is that East Sports Propaganda Network was still making references to the Sox "almost" choke job as late as yesterday morning. Get over it Mediots !!!! It didnt happen. I'm glad someone from our media picked up on that and called him out for it. All I can say is......"He Gone!!!!!" Amen

BigKlu:

Sad
10-10-2005, 02:46 PM
As I was driving back in to the City to day, I heard a segment on Dan Patrick's show. The segment was about "homer" calls. It reminded of the poor play-by-play of Berman in Game #3. I decided to send an email to Dan Ptrick's call.

Dan:
I listended to the end of your "no cheering" calls today and it gave me a chuckle. You should have had some of Berman's calls (from the White Sox - Bo-Sox: Game #3 of the ALDS) because they were such "homer" calls from the Boston side. This game was on ESPN 2, a Nationally Televised game and the So-Called Swamy was jumping out of his chair for Boston at every chance he had. ESPN should be embarrassed for letting this occur. His play-by-play was much more suited for the Boston area only. Do you remember hearing him call Trot Nixon's routine fly ball after the back to back (from Manny and Otiz)? If not, please go back and listen and you will understand. As for Berman, stick to Football highlights and do not call any sporting events going forward.
Sincerely,
PULASKI

yeah that TROT NIXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXON! call slayed me :angry:

Adios to that blowhole...

fquaye149
10-10-2005, 03:57 PM
I muted my TV after Manny's HR. :mad:

I muted it after the Paulie blast when Berman barely even raised his voice.

It was just music and drinking from then on. I enjoyed the game immensely.

mmmmmbeeer
10-10-2005, 04:24 PM
I muted it after the Paulie blast when Berman barely even raised his voice.

It was just music and drinking from then on. I enjoyed the game immensely.

Carl hit a shot to Olerud at first right after Kong's bomb. Berman was much louder about a nice stop made by Olerud than a tie-breaking HR over the green monster. I could only laugh.