PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on bandwagon fans.

Harry Chappas
10-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Personally, I'm not too upset about the inevitable bandwagon jumping that is going on. Most of my friends are fans of the other team and they have actually asked my permission to cheer on the Sox. I say, welcome aboard. Maybe they'll be excorcised of their demons.

What bothers me is that when I was at the game on Wednesday, I was seated in front of at least six "Sox" fans that were absolutely clueless. At one point, a guy shouted for Ozzie to put in "Damato." The guy in front of me wheeled around and said "it's Damaso and the only people who want to see him are Red Sox and Cub fans." The Sox sudden popularity has probably caused a good number of die-hards to get hosed on post-season tickets. Oh well...I guess that's inevitable.

A_ROW33
10-08-2005, 11:13 AM
Yeah, I'm fine with bandwagoners if they appreciate the game of baseball, particularly the style that the white sox play. I got pretty ticked when a bandwagoner I know was upset at the bunt by Crede yesterday.

harwar
10-08-2005, 11:22 AM
Anything that gets the White Sox some positive pr is ok with me.The more the merrier.

greenpeach
10-08-2005, 11:47 AM
Personally, I'm not too upset about the inevitable bandwagon jumping that is going on. Most of my friends are fans of the other team and they have actually asked my permission to cheer on the Sox. I say, welcome aboard. Maybe they'll be excorcised of their demons.

What bothers me is that when I was at the game on Wednesday, I was seated in front of at least six "Sox" fans that were absolutely clueless. At one point, a guy shouted for Ozzie to put in "Damato." The guy in front of me wheeled around and said "it's Damaso and the only people who want to see him are Red Sox and Cub fans." The Sox sudden popularity has probably caused a good number of die-hards to get hosed on post-season tickets. Oh well...I guess that's inevitable.

Relax, it comes with the territory. These are the same people that root for the Dallas Cowboys, Florida State Seminoles & the Duke Blue Devils(basketball). Of course, their loyalty only extends as far as the last winning season.

kevin57
10-08-2005, 11:51 AM
I welcome them to the club. It just needs to be understood that with the first disappointment,

He Gone!

whtsx1959
10-08-2005, 12:43 PM
When Boston scored the two runs in Game 1, the people behind me yelled, 'Take him out Ozzie.' I don't know the official scoring but atleast one of those runs was unearned and you dont take a pitcher out for giving up two runs in the 4th.

These people also didn't know what the fundamentals deck was. They couldn't even figure out what it was called, Fundamentals is at the top.

I'm pretty sure it was their first time at the park in a long while.

TornLabrum
10-08-2005, 12:45 PM
When Boston scored the two runs in Game 1, the people behind me yelled, 'Take him out Ozzie.' I don't know the official scoring but atleast one of those runs was unearned and you dont take a pitcher out for giving up two runs in the 4th.

These people also didn't know what the fundamentals deck was. They couldn't even figure out what it was called, Fundamentals is at the top.

I'm pretty sure it was their first time at the park in a long while.

If ever. Sounds like it may have been their first time south of Madison St. (which they probably think is Madison Ave.).

SOXFAN_in_WI
10-08-2005, 12:46 PM
We sure could use some good PR, especially nationally. But if tools like Dan Patrick and such, start saying, "this is a great team and have been all year", even though they rooted against and showed no respect, then they can stay on the East Coast. And I especially don't want ESPN and FOX to start making $$$$$$ off of our history the way they did Boston. Don't try and act like you have wanted this all along! You are just jumping on to make $$$

Cat Thief
10-08-2005, 12:48 PM
I have no use for them and listening to some of their thoughts gets really annoying.

SOXFAN_in_WI
10-08-2005, 12:51 PM
also, don't give me the band wagon people who sit at the games and don't cheer, etc... During game 2 I saw two chicks sitting behind home plate while Jenks was pitching the final out. SITTING, and they were FRONT ROW!!! I don't know about you guys, but I'd give up my first born (sarcasm) to have those seats, and these chicks sat there, like nothing was going on, just a nice evening at the ball park. They wouldn't deserve those seats against K.C. I just wish the true fans, who work for there $$$ would get to enjoy the games.

goofymsfan
10-08-2005, 12:52 PM
Bandwagon fans are okay as long as the team is winning. Unfortunately, many of them you have to look out for if something not so great happens. Some of those bandwagon fans, could become die hard fans. After all, new fans have to come from some where.

I admit, I'm not a die hard Sox fan, but I do like their style of play. Relying on the fundementals of get 'um on, get 'um over, get 'um in. I am a Mariners fan that loves baseball and loves the running game.

BASEBALL 101

1) Hit the Ball Hard
2) Run Fast
3) Turn Left
4)Slide

34 Inch Stick
10-08-2005, 01:10 PM
I say the more the merrier. Sure I may not get my playoff tickets but if it means more presale for next year, that is good. At one point yesterday KW thanked the PR/ticket departments for getting him a little more revenue so that he could acquire Iguichi. If we could acquire a player next year that will have Iguichi's impact simply because of the additional fans, welcome aboard.

Brian26
10-08-2005, 01:35 PM

In a bizarre way, I almost accept these "converts" over the bandwagon jumping Sox fans that I see now. I'm talking about the people who haven't been to a Sox game since 1993, but all of a sudden they are the biggest Sox fans in the world. For some reason, that annoys me more than a Cubs fan who asks permission to root for the Sox from their heart. Call me crazy.

Brian26
10-08-2005, 01:37 PM
also, don't give me the band wagon people who sit at the games and don't cheer, etc... During game 2 I saw two chicks sitting behind home plate while Jenks was pitching the final out. SITTING, and they were FRONT ROW!!! I don't know about you guys, but I'd give up my first born (sarcasm) to have those seats, and these chicks sat there, like nothing was going on, just a nice evening at the ball park. They wouldn't deserve those seats against K.C. I just wish the true fans, who work for there $$$ would get to enjoy the games.

There were two women in the upper deck, a couple of rows in front of me, for Game 2. They had their thundersticks, their fake tans, and their 16 oz beers. They talked on their cell phones for the first two innings, and then they got up and left, never coming back to their seats. What's the point? I guess Wrigley is closed down for the season and this is the "hip" place to be. Two bad a couple of real Sox fans weren't able to use those seats.

Domeshot17
10-08-2005, 01:40 PM
What I find more funny then the jumpers for us, are the jump-jump-jump-jumpers against us

So many of my freinds, cubs fans put this order into effect

August: LETS GO CUBS WE ARE STILL IN THIS THING
middle september: WHOOOOO LETS GO TRIBE BIGGEST CHOKE EVER GOING ON IN THE SOUTH SIDE
OCTOBER 2: GET USED TO THIS WHITE SOX FANS, LETS GO RED SOX LETS GO RED SOX LETS GO RED SOX
October 8: LETS GO YANKEES OR ANGELS, FINISH UP AND WHOOP THE SOUTH SLIDERS

then they get offended when I say, pick a bandwagon, and stay on it

gobears1987
10-08-2005, 01:41 PM
Who cares, I like them for 1 reason. They buy merchandise and tickets which = $$$ for the team so we can get good free agents and keep. players like Frank, Garland, and Paulie

kitekrazy
10-08-2005, 01:45 PM
It demonstrates how many people are basically stupid about the game of baseball. This is been going on over at least a decade.

It was obvious when many people thought Maddux 3000 K was more important than 300 wins.

Just think eventually some of these stupid people will become sports writers who will put unworthy players in the hall of fame someday.

A lot of this I blame on Bud Selig for turning his head during the steroid era.

I almost became totally turned off to baseball because the lack of purity in today's game.

CHI_SOX_4_LIFE
10-08-2005, 01:50 PM
bandwagoners are alright to have to get us some extra money, but they are annoying to listen to. its basically like listening to a cubs fan, they dont know baseball and dont know what they're talking about. but if they give the white sox more revenue to help this team out more, then welcome aboard

SomebodyToldMe
10-08-2005, 02:17 PM
I don't like them at all. I've been dealing with a cubs fan who was all "Let's go cubbies! Beat those yankees!!!", "Stop this skid cubbies! You're making go crazy!" and went to "Sox win. Cuz they're just that good" in a matter of days.

I'm about ready to start throwin' down.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-08-2005, 02:30 PM
Who's that guy on the Snore who said, "Let's just put the hate aside and hope for a Chicago win? It's time to get behind the city as a whole and not separate by team." More than likely a Cub fan.

Try that in New York, Junior.

mrs. hendu
10-08-2005, 02:40 PM

:angry: :angry: :angry: Unfreakingbelievable. Do they even know any names of the players??

Harry Chappas
10-08-2005, 02:53 PM
I may be in the minority, but I have a much greater respect for the Cubs fan (provided they're the rare educated Cubs fan) that says, "I'm not rooting against you, but I'm sure as hell not rooting for you either" than the wind-sock fan that makes the "Hey, we're all Chicagoans" argument. When the Cubs made their run in '03, I didn't suddenly begin rooting for them. I basically tried to ignore them although I have to admit to taking some pleasure in their demise.

Good points made about the extra revenue. I watched the Comcast post game interview with Kenny and he thanked the marketing dept. for enabling them to get Iguchi. The bottomline is we need the sales if we want to hang on to our guys. At the same time, our new-found popularity has a price and that is a much tougher to get ticket. I went down to the park on Tuesday confident that I might be able to find a scalper. I was prepared to pay $200 for a seat...any seat. I was surprised to find almost zero scalpers and a few hundred people also looking for scalpers.

I was at the game Wednesday with my Dad and we couldn't believe how many people would get up in the middle of an at-bat to go get food or whatever. If you HAVE to get that tenth beer, at least wait until between batters! There's no way these people were Sox fans or even baseball fans.

asindc
10-08-2005, 02:55 PM
Yeah, I'm fine with bandwagoners if they appreciate the game of baseball, particularly the style that the white sox play. I got pretty ticked when a bandwagoner I know was upset at the bunt by Crede yesterday.

Speaking of which, I read an ESPN.com columnist (don't remember the name, one of the C-list guys) who said Ozzie didn't know what he was doing having Gooch sacrifice Pods over in the 1st inning of game 1. He said Ozzie gives up too many outs. I wonder what he was thinking when they executed that squeeze last night. It's one thing for fans of other teams or recent bandwagon jumpers to be so ignorant, but someone who gets paid to write about the game should know better.

RKMeibalane
10-08-2005, 02:59 PM
In a bizarre way, I almost accept these "converts" over the bandwagon jumping Sox fans that I see now. I'm talking about the people who haven't been to a Sox game since 1993, but all of a sudden they are the biggest Sox fans in the world. For some reason, that annoys me more than a Cubs fan who asks permission to root for the Sox from their heart. Call me crazy.

I see where you're coming from. I think it has to do with the honesty of the fan support. I have no problem with another team's fans asking permission to cheer along with the rest of us, because in doing so, they admit that they haven't been here all along. They're not hiding anything.

johnny bench
10-08-2005, 03:25 PM
The bandwangoneers by and large are unchurched rather than heathen. :wink:

alohafri
10-08-2005, 03:38 PM
I'm happy to welcome all the bandwagon jumpers--some of them will stay on as new Sox fans..and lord knows, we need more fans! I feel bad for our Sox who get so little respect but now people are starting to notice...looking at some of the footage from the past regular season makes me sad to see so many empty seats.

These guys are a fun team to watch and pity those who couldn't find the time to go to the park in 05 and see what they're all about. Funny how some of those same people suddenly have found the time to go to the playoffs.

--Mrs. Aloha

Cat Thief
10-08-2005, 03:48 PM
I'm happy to welcome all the bandwagon jumpers--some of them will stay on as new Sox fans..and lord knows, we need more fans!

They wont be back unless the Sox have the same kind of season. All they are doing now is taking our playoff tickets.

jdm2662
10-08-2005, 06:17 PM
I HATE BANDWAGON JUMPERS! It's one thing to be indifferent or not wanting the Sox to lose, but please don't pretend you are some big Sox fan when you are not. Stay on the North side! Tell me how cool it is to be at Wrigley and how wonderful life as a Cub fan is. I had nothing against Illinois and I wasn't rooting against them to lose during the hoops tourny. However, I refused to jump on the bandwagon per say. I'm not going to pretend to be a big Illini fan when I'm not. I didn't cheer when they did well when I was at the bar watching them, but I also didn't root against them. I felt it was an insult to the real fans of the team that have followed them over the years. The only thing I knew about that team was Dee Brown. The reason why I knew who he was because he went to Proviso East. I pretty much tell Cub fans to stay off. This is my team!

TornLabrum
10-08-2005, 06:38 PM
I'm happy to welcome all the bandwagon jumpers--some of them will stay on as new Sox fans..and lord knows, we need more fans! I feel bad for our Sox who get so little respect but now people are starting to notice...looking at some of the footage from the past regular season makes me sad to see so many empty seats.

These guys are a fun team to watch and pity those who couldn't find the time to go to the park in 05 and see what they're all about. Funny how some of those same people suddenly have found the time to go to the playoffs.

--Mrs. Aloha

Just remember, the last ones to jump on the bandwagon will be the first to jump off. Still, I go on the side of those who welcome as many fans as possible into the fold, albeit many of them will be temporary, depending on how next year goes (and we all know how the Sox have done following their great years) - especially if they go to games. That's more money for salaries for next year.

Chips
10-08-2005, 07:05 PM
Just remember, the last ones to jump on the bandwagon will be the first to jump off. Still, I go on the side of those who welcome as many fans as possible into the fold, albeit many of them will be temporary, depending on how next year goes (and we all know how the Sox have done following their great years) - especially if they go to games. That's more money for salaries for next year.

Yeah, but I would much rather have that ticket, or have that ticket in the hand of another real fan.