PDA

View Full Version : Post season TV

Railsplitter
10-08-2005, 10:44 AM
Any body agree with me that MLB should have a TV deal similar to the NFL? With two Networks broadcasting EVERY saturday of the regular season and No playoff games on cable?

TornLabrum
10-08-2005, 10:48 AM
Any body agree with me that MLB should have a TV deal similar to the NFL? With two Networks broadcasting EVERY saturday of the regular season and No playoff games on cable?

The problem nowadays is getting two broadcast networks to shell out that kind of money. They used to do it that way, but then ratings started to drop (coincidentally with the rise in cable subscriptions). So now the best MLB can do with their product is a broadcast network and a cable network.

With the much shorter season the NFL is able to command the type of ratings in which they can involve two broadcast networks and a cable network.

ChiSoxRowand
10-08-2005, 05:22 PM
It kind of sucks that so many playoff games are on cable (even though I do have cable). Fox didn't even show a game wednesday or Friday because they probably wanted to show one of their stupid tv shows. I also don't know why they are showing playoff games on ESPN2. Some people who have cable don't get ESPN2, I'm glad I have it. At least WGN showed the games for the people who don't have cable.

whtsx1959
10-08-2005, 05:44 PM
I also don't know why they are showing playoff games on ESPN2. Some people who have cable don't get ESPN2, I'm glad I have it. At least WGN showed the games for the people who don't have cable.

Correct, ESPN has 70 million viewers while ESPN2 has only 60 million.

StockdaleForVeep
10-08-2005, 05:49 PM
I remember back in the day that playoffs were on ppv, just like the infamous "hawkvision" for playoff games

be grateful we can watch the games and not pay extra

buehrle4cy05
10-08-2005, 07:14 PM
I remember back in the day that playoffs were on ppv, just like the infamous "hawkvision" for playoff games

be grateful we can watch the games and not pay extra

That reminds me, I would actually like to see Hawk call games on PPV. I would pay money to not have to listen to those brutal ESPN and FOX announcers.

SOXSINCE'70
10-08-2005, 07:26 PM
That reminds me, I would actually like to see Hawk call games on PPV. I would pay money to not have to listen to those brutal ESPN and FOX announcers.

I'd listen to Rooney and Farmer,but the radio delay is shorter than the
TV delay.For example,Paul Konerko hits a home run.You'd hear Rooney
(or Farmer) start the call before you see the image of Konerko
swinging the bat.

lumpyspun
10-08-2005, 09:00 PM

The only problem I see with that is that out of town people still get screwed if that was the case. I missed about 5 sox saturday games this year b/c Fox decided to air them, but not where I live. I would get some terrible Padres game or something. I wish the national networks laid off saturday baseball all together so people could just watch them on local broadcasts, mlb.tv, or extra innings package like they do every other day of the week.

CallMeNuts
10-08-2005, 10:30 PM
I'd listen to Rooney and Farmer,but the radio delay is shorter than the
TV delay.For example,Paul Konerko hits a home run.You'd hear Rooney
(or Farmer) start the call before you see the image of Konerko
swinging the bat.

Why haven't the powers at AM 1000 figured this out:
Increase the radio delay so that it is equal to the TV delay.
Make sure the Sox fans know this.
And you increase your radio ratings dramatically.

And even better: Add Hawk to the radio booth for the playoffs.

Railsplitter
10-10-2005, 01:54 PM
The problem nowadays is getting two broadcast networks to shell out that kind of money. They used to do it that way, but then ratings started to drop (coincidentally with the rise in cable subscriptions). So now the best MLB can do with their product is a broadcast network and a cable network.

With the much shorter season the NFL is able to command the type of ratings in which they can involve two broadcast networks and a cable network.

Perhaps. But two networks shelling out $750 million each is more money than just one network paying $1 billion.