9th our man Ozzie brashly called a squeeze with our slow footed gutsy
catcher on third & Uribe got her done.

We loved Ozzie as a player while he talked off the ears of the opponents
on the bases. Now we must respect him as a manager as he is a man
like few others we have known.

go go Ozzie & go go SOXXXXXXXXXXX

A world championship would be wonderful for all of us.....it would be real
darned good for baseball also!

I also give Ozzie a lot of credit for chewing the ear off the plate umpire about his strike zone. At one point he almost came out of the dugout he was so POed. Ozzie has been all over bad umpiring from the start, and I think it paid off yesterday when our pitchers started getting calls later in the game that apparently (since I had to listen on the car radio to the first half or so of the game) weren't getting early on.

tebman
10-08-2005, 10:52 AM
I also give Ozzie a lot of credit for chewing the ear off the plate umpire about his strike zone. At one point he almost came out of the dugout he was so POed. Ozzie has been all over bad umpiring from the start, and I think it paid off yesterday when our pitchers started getting calls later in the game that apparently (since I had to listen on the car radio to the first half or so of the game) weren't getting early on.
Oh, they were bad calls all right! Ozzie was right to be POed. Umpires are human too, but just like the players they've got to stay focused and consistent in the big games. The strike zone was elastic and mysteriously shrinking that inning.

But then Ozzie knew where the line was that he couldn't cross. He said in the postgame remarks that he does his team no good if he gets tossed. He said just enough to make his point, and almost certainly helped his pitchers for the rest of the game.

That's not the mark of a hothead. That's a good manager. :yup:

34 Inch Stick
10-08-2005, 12:42 PM
I do not want to bash one of the components that has brought the Sox farther than any team in my lifetime. However, before you praise him, also understand that he also played a role in putting the Sox in that 6th inning situation by letting Garcia start the inning and following him up with Marte.

TomBradley72
10-08-2005, 12:49 PM
#1 thing Ozzie has brought to the White Sox is pride and "stones".

He doesn't take any bs from anyone and refuses to allow the White Sox to take a back seat to any other team...whether it's the Yankees/Red Sox nationally or the Cubbies locally. All of the other stuff he brings to the table is huge....but bringing pride and "attitude" to this franchise has created a complete shift in the franchise.

TheOldRoman
10-08-2005, 12:56 PM
I don't care what Daver says about you Ozzie,
We would NOT be here without you.

ode to veeck
10-08-2005, 01:01 PM
or having Crede bunt to move him over, great bunt by a guy who's none too good at it

or giving AJ the green light to get his 1st SB of the year

or or or too many to mention

watching the Tivo replay I was really surprized he didn't get tossed for arguing the strike zone so voraciously

Ol' No. 2
10-08-2005, 01:03 PM
I do not want to bash one of the components that has brought the Sox farther than any team in my lifetime. However, before you praise him, also understand that he also played a role in putting the Sox in that 6th inning situation by letting Garcia start the inning and following him up with Marte.Congratulations. You've been accepted into the 20/20 hindsight club.

Kilroy
10-08-2005, 01:09 PM
I do not want to bash one of the components that has brought the Sox farther than any team in my lifetime. However, before you praise him, also understand that he also played a role in putting the Sox in that 6th inning situation by letting Garcia start the inning and following him up with Marte.

You must be 12 years old or less since the Sox played in the league championship series in 1993.

As for your last comment, I didn't mind seeing Freddy come back out for the 6th, and didn't mind seeing Marte come in. But after giving up the hit right away, then a walk, he should never have faced a third batter. That was a mistake on Ozzie's part. However, not even the best manager makes NO mistakes.

Ol' No. 2
10-08-2005, 01:17 PM
Game strategy is always analyzed by "experts" the next day. If it works, you're a genius. If it doesn't, you're a dope. No one gets them all right.

Here's my opinion on Ozzie: Forget the game strategy, roster decisions, etc. He's the unquestioned leader. And like all leaders, his first job is to get the group to buy into forgoing their individual success for team success. Ozzie has done a masterful job at accomplishing that. And IMO, that, more than anything, is responsible for the team's success. You can have great pitching, great hitting and great defense, and all those are necessary. But they're not sufficient. If you don't play as a team, you're not going to get to the highest level.

wassagstdu
10-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Oh, they were bad calls all right! Ozzie was right to be POed. Umpires are human too, but just like the players they've got to stay focused and consistent in the big games. The strike zone was elastic and mysteriously shrinking that inning.

But then Ozzie knew where the line was that he couldn't cross. He said in the postgame remarks that he does his team no good if he gets tossed. He said just enough to make his point, and almost certainly helped his pitchers for the rest of the game.

That's not the mark of a hothead. That's a good manager. :yup:

I think it is part of the Manager's job description that he should be the one who gets angry about things like that and does the griping for the team so they can stay focused on their job. Contrast with the way Tony Larussa let the team lose focus in the '83 playoffs when the Zeros were throwing at them.

MILTMAY5
10-08-2005, 02:33 PM
Ozzie does leave you scratching your head with some of his game decisions (ie: bringing in the right handed Jenks to face 5 or 6 straight left handed hitting Red Sox, or bringing in the shakey Marte instead of the steady Cotts....), but he's the spark plug that fires this team! That is exactly what this team lacked from the manager in '03 & '00! Ozzie is the first real MANAGER the Sox have had since Torborg was here.

wassagstdu
10-08-2005, 02:37 PM
Game strategy is always analyzed by "experts" the next day. If it works, you're a genius. If it doesn't, you're a dope. No one gets them all right.

Here's my opinion on Ozzie: Forget the game strategy, roster decisions, etc. He's the unquestioned leader. And like all leaders, his first job is to get the group to buy into forgoing their individual success for team success. Ozzie has done a masterful job at accomplishing that. And IMO, that, more than anything, is responsible for the team's success. You can have great pitching, great hitting and great defense, and all those are necessary. But they're not sufficient. If you don't play as a team, you're not going to get to the highest level.

Dead on. And you know I wonder how important meeting with the '59 team was in reinforcing Ozzie's message. For many of those guys, playing on that pennant team was the high point of their lives, and 46 years later, it was still a thrill to get together with guys they shared that experience with. You could see it in their faces. If I were one of the current team I might have stopped to think how much more important that will be in the long run than having a rec room full of personal trophies.

asindc
10-08-2005, 02:50 PM
Ozzie does leave you scratching your head with some of his game decisions (ie: bringing in the right handed Jenks to face 5 or 6 straight left handed hitting Red Sox, or bringing in the shakey Marte instead of the steady Cotts....), but he's the spark plug that fires this team! That is exactly what this team lacked from the manager in '03 & '00! Ozzie is the first real MANAGER the Sox have had since Torborg was here.

I definitely agree with this statement, and I have been thinking it all season. I've always thought '93 would have been different if we had a top-flight manager running things then.

Ozzie's leadership and fearlessness are his best assets. I imagine trying to manage against him is a challenge, since you can't be sure what he's going to do, and even after he's done it, you're not sure how to counteract it. Throw away your book, it's no good here.

34 Inch Stick
10-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Congratulations. You've been accepted into the 20/20 hindsight club.

Check the game day thread my friend. At that time I said I would'nt let Freddy pitch even to Ortiz to end the inning before. I did this several batters before either Ortiz or Ramirez were due up.

I'm sure you won't look and i don't really care as I'm caught up in the euphoria...but you are wrong.