PDA

View Full Version : To Ya'll Who Want Manny Ramirez...

BRDSR
10-08-2005, 01:18 AM
No way do I want him on the Chicago White Sox, and heres why.

He hit two homeruns tonight. One tied the Red Sox in an elimination game and one put them down by one in an elimination game. Instead of trotting around the bases and recognizing that his team still has to make something happen just for the chance to play again tomorrow, he stands at the plate, watches his home run and, get this, takes off his batting gloves, before beginning to round the bases.

Manny Ramirez can go **** himself, and I hope he continues ****ing himself for the next five months while he watches a classy team battle for a title. I don't see him coming to the White Sox next season, but if he did I'd have a serious **** fit. He's a bush league player and he should stay on a bush league team, not the White Sox.

MushMouth
10-08-2005, 01:19 AM
I don't want that Sammy Sosa clone... **** him.

soxfanreggie
10-08-2005, 01:38 AM
Sammy Sosa will probably end up in Japan...do you think anyone will take him. If he signs for like a mil or two he might stick around but I don't know if anyone would overpay for him now though.

FarWestChicago
10-08-2005, 01:50 AM
If you're going to use a contraction, learn how to spell it. :rolleyes:

The Critic
10-08-2005, 08:26 AM
Man-ME Ramirez is exactly opposite to the type of player the Sox need.

He can't field, can't run, shows up the opposition, makes too much bank for the one dimension he brings.

The Red Cubs can keep him.

tebman
10-08-2005, 08:47 AM
If you're going to use a contraction, learn how to spell it. :rolleyes:
:rolling: I'ts our turn, eh? :tongue:

But back to the matter at hand: the Sox wisely got rid of a guy just like Ramirez about a dozen years ago when they traded Sosa. MLB history and the Sox' success this year proves beyond any doubt that me-first showboats like that don't win championships.

Keep Ramirez the El away from here.

The_Floridian
10-08-2005, 09:08 AM
Manny won't be here.

One of the major issues involved when Kenny's been picking players is how they fit into the overall team dynamic. The White Sox don't have the money or the desire to have a one-dimensional player (incredible as that one dimension might be) with a bad attitude on this team.

The funny thing is that people in Boston seem to think dumping Manny is a bad idea. I'm getting a lot of "Team Chemistry is overrated" and "you can't replace that bat" kind of stuff in my e-mail box. The thing is, if they weren't paying so much for Ramirez, they might be able to start building a decent pitching staff.

My guess, the Red Sox will hang on to Manny and then wonder again why their pitching wasn't good enough to get them to the series.

But if anyone is dumb enough to actually take that contract, I gaurantee you it'll be the New York Mets.

SOXSINCE'70
10-08-2005, 09:10 AM
2 words can express my feelings towards "Hammy" Ramirez
(watch how he barely jogs to first after hitting a homer) in a
"Right Sox" uniform:

NO THANKS!!

tstrike2000
10-08-2005, 09:16 AM
Man-ME Ramirez is exactly opposite to the type of player the Sox need.

He can't field, can't run, shows up the opposition, makes too much bank for the one dimension he brings.

You forgot an attitude overall that ranks among the worst as well. I'm always in aww of how someone like him can demand mistreatment and trades with the amount of money and butt kissing he gets in that town. It's ridiculous. Besides, for 57 million remaining over the last 3 years of his contract, teams can get 2 or 3 difference making players for that cost.

jabrch
10-08-2005, 09:24 AM
I gotta admit - I wouldn't mind having him DH for us next year in Crazy Carl's spot. I wouldn't do it at the expense of any of the key pieces, and certainly not at the expense of a McCarthy. But it would certainly make our offense better.

Jjav829
10-08-2005, 10:10 AM
BOSTON -- If seeing high-priced Manny Ramirez in a White Sox uniform next season sounds far-fetched, consider that the Boston Red Sox outfielder has said he would like it to happen.

According to a source, Ramirez told multiple White Sox players earlier this season that he wanted to play on the South Side and suit up for manager Ozzie Guillen.

Manny wants to play for the Sox? :thud:

This could be an interesting offseason. Not that I care about the offseason right now...

Link (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-soxnt08.html)

Fredsox
10-08-2005, 10:15 AM
I gotta admit - I wouldn't mind having him DH for us next year in Crazy Carl's spot. I wouldn't do it at the expense of any of the key pieces, and certainly not at the expense of a McCarthy. But it would certainly make our offense better.

We're gonna be spending an awful lot of money next year to keep the pitching staff and core position player roster intact. I don't think we'd be able to drop any kind of dollars on a guy like him. Seriously, if all the guy could do on our team is DH he isn't worth what it would take to sign him.

fquaye149
10-08-2005, 10:27 AM
We're gonna be spending an awful lot of money next year to keep the pitching staff and core position player roster intact. I don't think we'd be able to drop any kind of dollars on a guy like him. Seriously, if all the guy could do on our team is DH he isn't worth what it would take to sign him.

a.) He's already signed. Yes he's expensive, but if we could pick him up at DH without sacrificing any part of our team it would be an INCREDIBLE upgrade over Carl

b.) jeez in heaven folks - do you think his attitude might have anything to do with being an overscrutinized player in a sensationalist, arguably racist town? Ask Carl Everett about that.

But yeah, he had an attitude when he HIT THE GAME TYING HOME RUN IN AN ELIMINATION GAME. He's an evil human being

samram
10-08-2005, 10:36 AM
Manny wants to play for the Sox? :thud:

This could be an interesting offseason. Not that I care about the offseason right now...

Link (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-soxnt08.html)

Yeah, it's not exactly a priority right now, but I found it interesting that he would seek a new agent to facilitate a trade. I'm not sure who his agent is now, but if he hires Arn Tellem, this could get very interesting. For the record, I would take him in a second (if they could make the financial side work). This team has several guys with checkered pasts, but also has a manager who seems very capable of dealing with different personalities.

However, that's all in an offseason which won't be starting for several weeks. There's business to take care of the rest of this month.

The_Floridian
10-08-2005, 10:39 AM
b.) jeez in heaven folks - do you think his attitude might have anything to do with being an overscrutinized player in a sensationalist, arguably racist town? Ask Carl Everett about that.

This is a very legitimate point.

Nevertheless, I don't think spending all of that money for a one-dimensional player necessarily helps us. I'd rather spend that money on keeping as much of this team together as possible, rather than put it in to an upgrade at DH. Plus, I'm nervous about how much we'd have to give up to get him.

As Paul Newman said to George C. Scott in The Hustler: "Too high, Burt. The price is too high."

chicago cuz
10-08-2005, 10:58 AM
When I was a kid A guy like him would be called a hot dog.I sure don't want to see him on the White Sox, our DH for next year should be Frank. Frank didn't play a lot this year but you saw what he can do. Manny just doesn''''t fit

hawkjt
10-08-2005, 11:44 AM
No way kenny goes for his salary but the red sox would be nuts to dump him as they can afford him and what about 45hrs and 150 rbis do people not like? The guy is in the top 5 hitters in baseball.

Fredsox
10-08-2005, 11:46 AM
a.) He's already signed. Yes he's expensive, but if we could pick him up at DH without sacrificing any part of our team it would be an INCREDIBLE upgrade over Carl

But yeah, he had an attitude when he HIT THE GAME TYING HOME RUN IN AN ELIMINATION GAME. He's an evil human being

Nothing against Ramirez, I just don't want to pay one player when I can pay 5 or 6 players. All I'm suggesting is that the money might be better spent elsewhere. Ya know how we took the $15 million that we were gonna pay Ordonez and the whatever million we were gonna pay Lee and turned it into the team we have now? That's what I'd like to do.

jabrch
10-08-2005, 12:12 PM
The question isn't really do we want Manny. I can't imagine too many people, if given the opportunity to have him DH for them wouldn't take him. The question is what would the cost be.

If Boston wants McCarthy for him - the answer is no.

If Boston will take Borchard for him, and pay a chunk of his salary - then we'd be CRAZY to not want that bat in the middle of the order.

Ol' No. 2
10-08-2005, 12:27 PM
If Boston will take Borchard for him, and pay a chunk of his salary - then we'd be CRAZY to not want that bat in the middle of the order.Fine. But if they want Jon Adkins, too, the deal's off.:redneck

Chips
10-08-2005, 12:40 PM
When I was a kid A guy like him would be called a hot dog.I sure don't want to see him on the White Sox, our DH for next year should be Frank. Frank didn't play a lot this year but you saw what he can do. Manny just doesn''''t fit

I think Frank will back next year so getting Manny won't do much because I would never want to see him playing leftfield, he is way too lazy out there. But if Frank doesn't come back and Boston will pay a good chunk of his contract he'd be a much better DH than Everett. But I don't expect to see Everett in a Sox uniform regardless of what happens.

TornLabrum
10-08-2005, 01:34 PM
I think Frank will back next year so getting Manny won't do much because I would never want to see him playing leftfield, he is way too lazy out there. But if Frank doesn't come back and Boston will pay a good chunk of his contract he'd be a much better DH than Everett. But I don't expect to see Everett in a Sox uniform regardless of what happens.

I have strong doubts about Frank returning. Two stress fractures in a year means something is wrong down there.

beckett21
10-08-2005, 01:53 PM
I have strong doubts about Frank returning. Two stress fractures in a year means something is wrong down there.

Theoretically he could be back, but I would question his long-term effectiveness.

If he does come back, he most likely would be playing in some degree of pain and would be at risk for further injury at any point in time. He has an arthritic ankle to begin with, which would cause him to put additional stress on the other bones and joints in his foot--i.e. the navicular.

The stress fracture in the foot could heal with no further sequelae, assuming it is extra-articular (not involving the joint). Given the wear and tear already present in that ankle though, he is always going to be prone to problems. While the stress fracture can heal without consequence, the arthritis in the ankle is progressive. It will only get worse with time--wear and tear. Fusion surgery would most likely end his career IMO.

I wouldn't completely rule him out from coming back from a physical standpoint, nor do I feel it appropriate for me to give odds. But I would certainly plan for him not to be back, and if he does indeed return that would be a pleasant bonus. The financials are a different story, but thankfully that isn't my decision to make.

From a fan standpoint, I'm hoping to see him come back. :smile:

PAPChiSox729
10-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Fine. But if they want Jon Adkins, too, the deal's off.:redneck

Looking at that bullpen, I would say Adkins would be that final piece they are missing!
:redneck

SOXSINCE'70
10-08-2005, 03:00 PM
Fine. But if they want Jon Adkins, too, the deal's off.:redneck

I would have used teal,but hey,that's me.:D: :D:

:tealtutor: :tealpolice:
"Step away from the keyboard,Sir.":D:

soxwon
10-08-2005, 03:08 PM
No way do I want him on the Chicago White Sox, and heres why.

He hit two homeruns tonight. One tied the Red Sox in an elimination game and one put them down by one in an elimination game. Instead of trotting around the bases and recognizing that his team still has to make something happen just for the chance to play again tomorrow, he stands at the plate, watches his home run and, get this, takes off his batting gloves, before beginning to round the bases.

Manny Ramirez can go **** himself, and I hope he continues ****ing himself for the next five months while he watches a classy team battle for a title. I don't see him coming to the White Sox next season, but if he did I'd have a serious **** fit. He's a bush league player and he should stay on a bush league team, not the White Sox.

Id love manny on the sox, After we win this years series.
im not worried about chemistry next year, we would have won one series.
I doubt we would win two in a row.
With manny we have a bonified star, a HOF, If konerko leaves, we would need another stud bat.
I see Rowand as Gone, put Pods in CF and get Manny for LF, or Dh him, if we keep Rowand.
Right now iut's all speculation.
Lets just enjoy this year.

jabrch
10-08-2005, 03:31 PM
Looking at that bullpen, I would say Adkins would be that final piece they are missing!
:redneck

Bullpen? Hell, Adkins could probably have started for them.

Jjav829
10-08-2005, 03:44 PM
Nothing against Ramirez, I just don't want to pay one player when I can pay 5 or 6 players. All I'm suggesting is that the money might be better spent elsewhere. Ya know how we took the $15 million that we were gonna pay Ordonez and the whatever million we were gonna pay Lee and turned it into the team we have now? That's what I'd like to do.

But this is a different team than last year. I'm not gonna go too far into this because we'll have all offseason to discuss this stuff (though IMO it is never too early to look to the future). This offseason will be based largely on what happens in the ALCS and a possible World Series. That will determine how much money we spend, who stays/goes, etc. But look at this team right now. Our pitching staff is set. We have 6 starters under contract: Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras, Garland, McCarthy and El Duque. One of those (likely El Duque) figures to go. Our bullpen has Cotts, Marte, Jenks, Hermanson and likely Politte (his option should be picked up) all locked up. With the exception of trading Marte and possibly a starter, and maybe adding another lefty reliever, there isn't much to be done with the pitching staff. Offensively, we're probably going to see 6 or 7 of the current starters back: likely Pods, Dye, Iguchi, Uribe and/or Crede, Pierzynski and possibly Konerko. That doesn't leave many holes left to be filled. Add a DH and an OF and that's about all unless a big deal to upgrade another position comes along.

This won't be like last years offseason where we added 4 new starting position players, 1 new starting pitcher and 2 new relievers. Last year was more about quantity than quality. This offseason figures to be more about quality than quantity since there aren't as many holes to be filled. Who exactly could fill those holes, and exactly what holes we have will be discussed after the season. But I think it's safe to say we won't be saying as many moves this upcoming offseason.

gf2020
10-08-2005, 04:22 PM
Offensively, we're probably going to see 6 or 7 of the current starters back: likely Pods, Dye, Iguchi, Uribe and/or Crede, Pierzynski and possibly Konerko. That doesn't leave many holes left to be filled. Add a DH and an OF and that's about all unless a big deal to upgrade another position comes along.

You don't think Rowand will be back? Do you think he will be sacrificed for more firepower on offense? Are is this just a guess based on average roster turnover for any team?

I'd like to see the whole team back with El Duque replacing Viz in the bullpen (probably makes too much to do so, but he gives us depth in case of injury) and BJ Ryan replacing Marte.

It's nice that I am only thinking about this stuff because we are three days away from a playoff game and not because are five months from spring training.

soxwon
10-08-2005, 06:25 PM
You don't think Rowand will be back? Do you think he will be sacrificed for more firepower on offense? Are is this just a guess based on average roster turnover for any team?

I'd like to see the whole team back with El Duque replacing Viz in the bullpen (probably makes too much to do so, but he gives us depth in case of injury) and BJ Ryan replacing Marte.

It's nice that I am only thinking about this stuff because we are three days away from a playoff game and not because are six five months from spring training.

I think rowand will be traded, he really didn't have a great year.
Defensively he had Some of his finest moments ever, but on offense, he was missing something.
I do think we will try to get a power hitting CF, or if we get Manny, put pods in CF.
But next year is NOW.

jabrch
10-08-2005, 06:36 PM
I do think we will try to get a power hitting CF, or if we get Manny, put pods in CF. But next year is NOW.

Manny would only DH for us. This organization would never put him in LF. Pods will only play LF. He's not a good enough defender to play CF. And Rowand aint going anywhere. He's staying.

Jjav829
10-08-2005, 08:10 PM

It's nice that I am only thinking about this stuff because we are three days away from a playoff game and not because are six five months from spring training.

I think it's very possible Rowand could be traded. His defense is fine but the OF hitting is very light with both Pods and Rowand. We're probably not going to be able to acquire anyone who is a better leadoff hitter than Pods. That means Rowand is the odd man out. For as good as Rowand's defense was, his hitting just didn't cut it.

2004: .310/.361/.544/.905 24 HR, 69 RBI, 17 SB
2005: .270/.329/.407/.736 13 HR, 69 RBI, 16 SB

The RBI and SB numbers are the same, but his power was way down this year. We'd be OK with the 2004 Rowand. The 2005 Rowand; not so much. I'm not saying Rowand will definitely be traded or that he has to be replaced. I love the way Rowand plays. If I was creating my own team of favorite players, I'd definitely want Rowand on that team. But the reality is that Rowand did not hit the way we expected him to and because of that centerfield is a position where we could fine an offensive upgrade.

Ol' No. 2
10-08-2005, 08:44 PM
I think it's very possible Rowand could be traded. His defense is fine but the OF hitting is very light with both Pods and Rowand. We're probably not going to be able to acquire anyone who is a better leadoff hitter than Pods. That means Rowand is the odd man out. For as good as Rowand's defense was, his hitting just didn't cut it.

2004: .310/.361/.544/.905 24 HR, 69 RBI, 17 SB
2005: .270/.329/.407/.736 13 HR, 69 RBI, 16 SB

The RBI and SB numbers are the same, but his power was way down this year. We'd be OK with the 2004 Rowand. The 2005 Rowand; not so much. I'm not saying Rowand will definitely be traded or that he has to be replaced. I love the way Rowand plays. If I was creating my own team of favorite players, I'd definitely want Rowand on that team. But the reality is that Rowand did not hit the way we expected him to and because of that centerfield is a position where we could fine an offensive upgrade.Except this is Rowand's worst year since 2002. He's below his career averages, so the odds are he'll come back up next year. I can live with .280-.290 with the kind of defense he brings to the table. You can count on one hand the number of CF who are better, and few, if any, of them are available.

Nellie_Fox
10-09-2005, 01:56 AM
Manny couldn't play outfield for the White Sox. He has absolutely no defensive instincts at all; he gets a terrible jump on the ball. This is somewhat covered up by playing at Fenway; if the ball is hit over his head, he can just turn around and wait for the carom off the wall. He also has a weak throwing arm, also covered up by being at Fenway, where he is only a few feet behind third base.

I just don't see him as being Ozzie's kind of player, or fitting in with what the Sox are trying to do.

white sox bill
10-09-2005, 07:27 AM
I thought we learned our lesson from another ex Indian--Albert Belle