PDA

View Full Version : The media is cursing us...

Banix12
10-08-2005, 12:59 AM
I'm sure all of you noticed Berman in todays game talking about a "Curse of Shoeless Joe". There have been a couple of stories in newspapers talking about something similar. Sportscenter tonight did a whole bit about the "Curse of Shoeless Joe".

I know we all agree this is all absolute garbage. Just the media looking for an angle to sell the audience. I have been a fan of the white sox my whole life and I have never heard of this curse until a couple weeks ago. I've heard it suggested before but nobody ever gave it any credence. I know it certainly didn't seem to exist the last few sox playoff appearances.

While we know there is no curse, the problem with this is once FOX gets their mitts on this during the ALCS (and you know they will). They are going to hype it to no end and nationally it will create a mythic "curse".

I just get this sick feeling that the national media is trying to turn the white sox into the red sox and cubs and people are going to start believing it.

DaleJRFan
10-08-2005, 01:02 AM
**** the media. Let them beat us down so we can kick it right back in their faces, as we did with 99 wins, a sweep of the Indians, a sweep of the "Defending Champion Red Sox" and our impending World Series title.

MrRoboto83
10-08-2005, 01:04 AM
There were people last year during the series on this site pissed off when the media forgot about us when mentioning longest team with out a title and it became a Red Sox-Flub love fest.

I guess the media will do anything to make a story, it gets annoying, but I'm going to put up with it, cause we are in the lime light finally!

itsnotrequired
10-08-2005, 01:06 AM
The media did the same thing with Boston last year. True fans don't believe in that nonsense, be it the Sox, Boston or even the Cubs.

The "Fever Pitch" audience eats that stuff up with a spoon and the media rakes in the dollars.

JBJas42
10-08-2005, 01:07 AM
I have always been of the firm belief that if anyone has a curse, we do. I mean jeez... throwing a World Series (or at least taking money from gamblers to do it), that is the sort of thing that seems to warrant a curse. I mean a goat kept out of a dump they baseball in? Trading a fat man with little girl legs (thank you Seinfeld)? They don't make a curse.

Personally, I don't mind if a mystique is created by the media for the ChiSox. More fans = More revenue = A better team. Bandwagon jumpers, hop on board. A full Cell is electric.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-08-2005, 01:09 AM
I'm sure all of you noticed Berman in todays game talking about a "Curse of Shoeless Joe". There have been a couple of stories in newspapers talking about something similar. Sportscenter tonight did a whole bit about the "Curse of Shoeless Joe".

Meh. It was just Berman. He'll be back to doing NFL Prime Time long before the World Series starts. Nobody at ESPN has the foggiest idea what Sox Fans believe. They've ignored us and our team all season long. As for Fox, if they're stupid enough to try to invent a curse they will be made to look very foolish because Sox Fans will call them out on it. Nobody flashes more crowd shots than Fox.

No worries. We Sox Fans have this one covered.

:cool:

longshot7
10-08-2005, 01:22 AM
from the AP recap:

"Two years later, Jackson's ``Black Sox'' took payoffs from gamblers to throw the Series. Eight men were out -- banned from baseball for life -- and every White Sox player since has lived with a longer but lesser-known ``curse'' than the supposed one the Red Sox busted when they ended their 86-year drought last season."

Yes, real fans know the score, but this is rediculous. Someone should make a sign for the ALCS that reads "Curse Free since 1901."

elrod
10-08-2005, 01:26 AM
So what? It generates national interest. There is a hard core of White Sox fans who have followed this team most of our adult, adolescent and childhood lives. Others didn't even noticed we existed. Now they do, because we forced ourselves into their television sets. Well, guess what, we will become national media darlings because we haven't won anything since 1917. Get used to it. Get ready for Jay Moronotti and Jeff Brantley calling the White Sox the best team in baseball. That's how it goes, folks.