PDA

View Full Version : Wakefield's comments on Sportscenter...

tifosiv122
10-08-2005, 12:21 AM
Something to the effect of...I always said its not the best team that wins its the team that gets the hottest, and they caught all the breaks.

GIVE ME A #@$@#$ BREAK

Take the loss like a man, not a baby. I'm so mad at him right now.

Erik

JB98
10-08-2005, 12:21 AM
Something to the effect of...I always said its not the best team that wins its the team that gets the hottest, and they caught all the breaks.

GIVE ME A #@$@#$ BREAK

Erik

Screw him. He's going home. The Sox are moving on.

SoxFan64
10-08-2005, 12:22 AM
I just saw that too. He should take a lead from his fans.

kaufsox
10-08-2005, 12:23 AM

GIVE ME A #@$@#$ BREAK

Erik

I just saw his comments too, but you know what? Nothing is going to upset me tonight :cool: I hope the Sox stay hot and beat the "better" teams all month!

jabrch
10-08-2005, 12:25 AM
We did catch all the breaks. I mean if the wall in LF were 30 feet higher and 20 ft deeper, Iguchi never would have hit that HR in game 2. That was luck. And if Wakefield only would have put that ball to PK about 6 inches lower, PK would have struck out. That was a major break we got. And in game 1, if it only would have rained, there'd have been no way we'd have put 14 runs on the board. We really got a break there. And Jenks, if his curve wasn't so nasty and his heater were 20 mph slower, he'd be as bad as Jeremi Gonzalez. That's another major break we got. Ya see, the breaks all went our way...

SoxFan78
10-08-2005, 12:26 AM
Hey Wakefield, when is your next start?

Oh yeah, in April.

CaptainBallz
10-08-2005, 12:26 AM
That is low and childish. And BTW--WHAT FLIPPIN BREAKS!??? They got beat!

I now use the shift key: ! $@^#*#% @^@*#^ Him---

PaleHoseGeorge
10-08-2005, 12:27 AM
We did catch all the breaks. I mean if the wall in LF were 30 feet higher and 20 ft deeper, Iguchi never would have hit that HR in game 2. That was luck. And if Wakefield only would have put that ball to PK about 6 inches lower, PK would have struck out. That was a major break we got. And in game 1, if it only would have rained, there'd have been no way we'd have put 14 runs on the board. We really got a break there. And Jenks, if his curve wasn't so nasty and his heater were 20 mph slower, he'd be as bad as Jeremi Gonzalez. That's another major break we got. Ya see, the breaks all went our way...

:hawk
"I luv it when you analyze."

tifosiv122
Ya see, the breaks all went our way...

You're right, I never thought of it that way. Our offense is much stronger with Thomas on the bench...and that was a physical break.

Erik

Brian26
Just saw it too. "Sometimes the best teams don't always win." LOL. Give me a ****ing break, duechebag. In this case, that wouldn't apply. The best team won. Period.

:hawk

"We hit better than them. We pitch better than them. We steal more bases that them. We catch the ball better than them. We can drink more beer than them. We get better looking women than them..."

HotelWhiteSox
10-08-2005, 12:28 AM
Saw this as well, at least the fans can recognize that the White Sox were a better team. Instead, Wakefield says 'it's not always the better team that wins, it's the one that's hotter, and they caught all the breaks'. I really lost a lot of respect for him after hearing this, as he is always displayed by the national media as a classy guy who gives it his all.

I was wondering what he thought of the breaks he got when any knuckleball that was close was called a strike and every White Sox pitcher had to throw it in a cup to get a strike called. Plus, the only thing he can refer to as a "break" was the Graffanino errror, and that was his **** up, not some bad bounce or any luck. The White Sox didn't get breaks, they executed, including Tad's HR right after that play. So Mr. Wakefield, take your one pitch that opposing hitters love to play long ball with and shove it

PaleHoseGeorge
10-08-2005, 12:30 AM
Yeah, we lost our best all-around hitter for all but six weeks of the season. What a bunch of lucky ****ing bastards we are!

:roflmao:

mjharrison72
10-08-2005, 12:30 AM
I never do this, but...
:tealpolice:

"Step away from the sarcasm!"

batmanZoSo
10-08-2005, 12:32 AM
Anyone who thinks the better team didn't win is straight-up delusional.

santo=dorf
10-08-2005, 12:38 AM
I suppose the Sox always "catch the breaks" when Wake pitches (career ERA 5+ WHIP 1.50) :rolleyes:

Wakefield and the rest of the Boston :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: -------> :violin:

Hendu
10-08-2005, 12:44 AM
Hey, Wakefield, here's the break for ya: We swept the Indians and you guys didn't have to throw Clement in a 1-game playoff with the Yanks.

1951Campbell
"Sometimes the best teams don't always win"

Yeah, but the worst teams usually get swept, bitch.

elrod
I think he was referring to all the hard hit balls by the Red Sox that went right at the White Sox. But there were a lot of hard hit balls by the White Sox that went right at the Red Sox too. Think of Konerko's line out to RF with 2 out and runners on 1st and 3rd in the 4th inning. The only "break" we caught was Graffy's error. Otherwise, it was just good, hardnosed baseball.

jabrch
10-08-2005, 12:45 AM
Think of Konerko's line out to RF with 2 out and runners on 1st and 3rd in the 4th inning. The only "break" we caught was Graffy's error. Otherwise, it was just good, hardnosed baseball.

Carl hit a ball that Olerud grabbed that would have been extra bases also... That's baseball.

1951Campbell
10-08-2005, 12:47 AM
Hey, Wakefield, here's the break for ya: We swept the Indians and you guys didn't have to throw Clement in a 1-game playoff with the Yanks.

Oh, and that's one of the best things about the post-season. We got them in, and they couldn't move themselves on.

DaleJRFan
10-08-2005, 12:51 AM
Wakefield should have listened to his manager during his postgame press conference.

Verbatim:

"We lost to the team who played better baseball"
"They out-pitched us"
"They out-hit us"
"They ran the bases better"
"They played better defense"
"They got the clutch hits"

Hey Tim, go work on your short game or maybe learn how to hit a 1 iron.

Wakefield = Smug Loser.

Flight #24
10-08-2005, 01:10 AM
By better team, he must mean....

The team with the lower BA, OBP, SLG, HR, SB, R, RBI.....

Or maybe the team with the higher ERA, WHIP, fewer K

Or just maybe, the team with the lower fielding %/higher Es

Guess not, guess he's just talking about the team that lost 3 while winning 0.

Tim Wakefield, you win the Patrick Ewing "moronic sore loser" award. So named when Ewing, after yet another trouncing by the Bulls, proclaimed that "the better team lost". The presentation will be made this coming Tuesday evening, when we know you'll be free.
:dtroll:

johnnyg83
10-08-2005, 01:10 AM
No crap. We hit just as many lasers as they did.

I'm in awe of the brass f'n balsh of Ozzie on that suicide squeeze, brilliant. Not being played up enough in the media.

bruce1
10-08-2005, 01:11 AM
wakefield ...... he is just a *****! (sissy)

nebraskasox
10-08-2005, 01:15 AM
Wakefield should have listened to his manager during his postgame press conference.

Verbatim:

"We lost to the team who played better baseball"
"They out-pitched us"
"They out-hit us"
"They ran the bases better"
"They played better defense"
"They got the clutch hits"

Hey Tim, go work on your short game or maybe learn how to hit a 1 iron.

Wakefield = Smug Loser.

Or as Johnny Damon said, "they overpowered us."

fuzzy_patters
10-08-2005, 01:20 AM
We outscored them 24-9. Case closed.

RadioheadRocks
10-08-2005, 01:24 AM
In light of those comments... Tim Wakefield, this one's for you...

http://www.sallad.net/blog/loser-thumb.jpg (http://www.sallad.net/blog/loser.jpg)

"LOSER!!!"

NWSox
10-08-2005, 02:16 AM
The funny thing is that Wakefield wouldn't even be in the starting rotation on this team.

kitekrazy
10-08-2005, 02:47 AM

GIVE ME A #@$@#$ BREAK

Erik

Funny how much of the baseball world focused on the Sox possibility of choking down the stretch and forgot that Boston pissed away a 5 1/2 game lead.

HotelWhiteSox
10-08-2005, 02:51 AM
Reifort also picked up on this on the blog (great posting today, btw):

Huh?
"It's not always the best team that wins, it's the team that gets the hottest." -- Tim Wakefield.

Tim must have missed those 99 victories (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/standings/index.jsp) and the combined 102-63 record. We're just hot right now.

Here's an unrelated but funny part of his posting:

Best Press Box Quote of the Night

From a national reporter:

"Do you think Jay Mariotti will rip the White Sox in his column tomorrow for choking and not winning this series in two games?"

StockdaleForVeep
10-08-2005, 03:00 AM
We were the better team, we out pitched them and caught every break we could, thats how teams win games

gbergman
10-08-2005, 05:04 AM
does anyone have a transcript copy of this

Maximo
10-08-2005, 07:13 AM

GIVE ME A #@$@#$ BREAK

Erik

Yeah..........Dimitri Young probably still feels the same way, too.

WinOrDyeTrying
10-08-2005, 07:30 AM
Yeah..........Dimitri Young probably still feels the same way, too.

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_124693.jpg
"My fantasy team is the team to beat in the Central"

Cambridge
10-08-2005, 08:29 AM
I know it's hard to look objectively at comments made by a player you seldom (if ever) hear talk about the game. But if Wakefield played in Chicago and you saw and heard him a regular basis, 90% of the comments in this thread wouldn't be made. There are few players in the game of baseball with as much class as Tim Wakefield. He's easily the most respected, and possibly the most intelligent, player on the team. Anything a player says should be taken objectively and in context.

The same, of course, goes for what is posted on message boards. :cool:

Vernam
10-08-2005, 09:30 AM
I know it's hard to look objectively at comments made by a player you seldom (if ever) hear talk about the game. But if Wakefield played in Chicago and you saw and heard him a regular basis, 90% of the comments in this thread wouldn't be made. There are few players in the game of baseball with as much class as Tim Wakefield. He's easily the most respected, and possibly the most intelligent, player on the team. Anything a player says should be taken objectively and in context.

The same, of course, goes for what is posted on message boards. :cool:We're in big trouble if you're going to hold us to that standard!

So, in fairness, Wakefield did say toward the end of the clip that he had to tip his cap to the White Sox. Though his very next remark was to reiterate that they had taken advantage of the lucky breaks that fate had given them . . . Mainly, he looked stunned and wasn't speaking petulantly or anything. The Sox are just the kind of team that gives the impression they're over-achieving -- he's not the first person to think it, obviously. When you throw guys like Ramirez and Ortiz up there, I can understand why you'd be baffled by our success. And that's half the fun of it for me right now.

Vernam

WSoxFanForever
10-08-2005, 09:37 AM
I guess Boston won the WS last year because they were "lucky" and "caught the breaks." Oh, well. Glad it didn't happen again..haha.

TornLabrum
10-08-2005, 09:47 AM
We're in big trouble if you're going to hold us to that standard!

So, in fairness, Wakefield did say toward the end of the clip that he had to tip his cap to the White Sox. Though his very next remark was to reiterate that they had taken advantage of the lucky breaks that fate had given them . . . Mainly, he looked stunned and wasn't speaking petulantly or anything. The Sox are just the kind of team that gives the impression they're over-achieving -- he's not the first person to think it, obviously. When you throw guys like Ramirez and Ortiz up there, I can understand why you'd be baffled by our success. And that's half the fun of it for me right now.

Vernam

Two comments:

1) Taking advantage of lucky breaks is what good teams do. Bad teams don't.

2) If you take a look at individual stats, particularly on offense, the Sox don't equal the other playoff teams. The 2005 Sox are a perfect example of "the whole being greater than the sum of its parts."

cbone
10-08-2005, 09:49 AM
There are few players in the game of baseball with as much class as Tim Wakefield.

He must have had a bad day yesterday. :cool:

Realist
10-08-2005, 09:50 AM
Wakefield's comments don't seem nearly as stupid as Manny Ramirez deciding it would be a good idea to "undress" before the ball even cleared the wall after his first homerun. Somebody needs to tell that lazy oaf that he can continue to undress because he won't be needing a uniform until next March now.

CallMeNuts
10-08-2005, 09:59 AM

GIVE ME A #@$@#$ BREAK

Erik

Tim -- When a Wild Card wins the World Series, how can you say the best team has one? When the team with the best record in the league sweeps away the Wild Card team, how can you say the best team didn't win? Good teams capitalize on the breaks that normally occur in the course of a game. Bad teams can't. When a good team makes an error, somebody else steps up. With a bad team, somebody else will compound the problem.

tstrike2000
10-08-2005, 10:10 AM
That's what overexposure and hype do to a man's ego. Wakefield needs to wake up, take the chip off of his shoulder and be thankful that he even has a job pitching in major league baseball. Knuckleballer's, the dinosaur of the MLB.

Wsoxmike59
10-08-2005, 10:12 AM
The break the Red Sox DIDN'T capitalize on was the one where Ozzie put Damaso Marte in to the freaking game!!! I'm still pissed about that move.

wassagstdu
10-08-2005, 10:19 AM
He was talking about the 2004 World Series. What he was saying was, "sure, it looks bad for the defending World Champs to get humiliated and swept 3-and-out in the postseason, but we were only champs because it's not always the best team (Cards) that wins but the hottest." Gotta agree with him.

Cambridge
10-08-2005, 10:22 AM
The 2005 Sox are a perfect example of "the whole being greater than the sum of its parts."

Interesting that you said that. Steven Goldman of Baseball Prospectus had the same opinion in an interview just posted this morning (link below). He was responding to me asking his opinion of the White Sox philosophy.

http://www.redsoxnation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=18520&

TornLabrum
10-08-2005, 10:34 AM
Interesting that you said that. Steven Goldman of Baseball Prospectus had the same opinion in an interview just posted this morning (link below). He was responding to me asking his opinion of the White Sox philosophy.

The problem is that he still doesn't get it. We haven't just won by Konerko jacking the ball. We've won a number of games by pitchers making mistakes after being rattled by Podsednik. We've won plenty of games by manufacturing runs.

What he doesn't get is that "the whole being greater than the sum of its parts" really means that you have a team and not a collection of nine individuals. Ozzie has imbued this club with the whole concept of team. Everybody does his job. What can you say when even a Carl Everett show bunt on occasion? These guys will do whatever it takes to win.

And guess what? Statheads can't find anything that measures that.

CHEESESOXER
10-08-2005, 11:10 AM
I understand that Weakfield was just reading what Boomless Berndman wrote for him.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-08-2005, 11:27 AM

Ah yes, the Baseball Prospectus. If Baseball Prospectus thinks the Sox as a team are better than the sum of the parts, then clearly that theory is 100 percent bull****.
:cool:

The Sox have BETTER pitching. The sixth inning of Game 3 proves it. Boston had every advantage in that inning, including a homeplate umpire looking to stick it to Ozzie. Yet the Sox had a starting pitcher available to pitch lights out from the bullpen. The Sox score two runs in the inning, but the mighty Red Sox only managed one. Final score 4-3. And defense had nothing to do with it. It was all about the pitchers.

Game. Set. Match.

Boston sucks because their pitching sucks. Tim Wakefield never starts a game for the Chicago White Sox. He's not good enough to start for the Sox.

You think you and Baseball Prospectus finally got it?

:o:

fquaye149
10-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Yeah, we lost our best all-around hitter for all but six weeks of the season. What a bunch of lucky ****ing bastards we are!

Even that was a break - see we win because of small ball. All Frank would have done would be distract from the small ball our team plays. Because the White Sox are a small ball team. We don't even like to hit home runs

Cambridge
10-08-2005, 11:37 AM
You think you and Baseball Prospectus finally got it?

:o:

If you can show where either Steven Goldman or I opined that the Red Sox are better than the White Sox, I'll be happy to respond. Otherwise, I'll assume you're just trying to start an argument for the sake of starting an argument.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-08-2005, 11:39 AM
If you can show where either Steven Goldman or I opined that the Red Sox are better than the White Sox, I'll be happy to respond. Otherwise, I'll assume you're just trying to start an argument for the sake of starting an argument.

My opinion is that Baseball Prospectus weakens your argument, not strengthens it.

And there is no arguing about it.

Cambridge
10-08-2005, 12:11 PM
My opinion is that Baseball Prospectus weakens your argument, not strengthens it.

Weakens what argument? I'm not even aware that I offered an opinion. I shared the perspective of a prominent baseball writer (who happens to be a Yankee fan, BTW) on how the White Sox are constructed and how their image is branded. I thought that would be of great interest here.

I enjoy the passion of fans, and I enjoy reading most of the opinions shared on this site. However, I get the impression that it's next to impossible for a non-White Sox fan to say anything that's not construed as critical. Whether you want to belive it or not, your team isn't universally disrespected or disliked.

SOXintheBURGH
10-08-2005, 12:18 PM
Weakens what argument? I'm not even aware that I offered an opinion. I shared the perspective of a prominent baseball writer (who happens to be a Yankee fan, BTW) on how the White Sox are constructed and how their image is branded. I thought that would be of great interest here.

I enjoy the passion of fans, and I enjoy reading most of the opinions shared on this site. However, I get the impression that it's next to impossible for a non-White Sox fan to say anything that's not construed as critical. Whether you want to belive it or not, your team isn't universally disrespected or disliked.

I just finished reading it, and thanks for sharing.

hawkjt
10-08-2005, 12:39 PM
Back to the original point cambridge, do you think that the Red Sox are a better team as wakefield clearly points out in his quote?

Labeling teams is so trendy but irrelevant. The sox have a great 1-2 leadoff duo just as most WS winners have had. Then they have power to back that up and down in the order they have guys that give themselves up to move runners.

They have the best rotation in the league and a bullpen whose stats do not reflect the Jenks addition late in the year. And they play defense which is hard to quantify.

The bottom line on hitting for a higher average like the red sox (.281) to sox (.261) over the season is that in a series like this where both teams got 100 ABs that is only two hits!!!! And that can be offset by two walks. So throw out the notion that the Red sox were the better team,Mr Wakefield. You may be intelligent and classy normally but just take a cue from Paulie who said the sox know that they could lose to the red sox next week if they played again. Now that is classy. Otherwise I thought the red sox and fans were very classy and liked that they did not hammer TonyG. Just wish our fans would remember that when Damaso comes in to the game next week.

jabrch
10-08-2005, 12:58 PM
I know it's hard to look objectively at comments made by a player you seldom (if ever) hear talk about the game. But if Wakefield played in Chicago and you saw and heard him a regular basis, 90% of the comments in this thread wouldn't be made.

If Wakefield was here, we'd never see him. How often does your 7th starter ever take the hill?

jabrch
10-08-2005, 01:05 PM
I shared the perspective of a prominent baseball writer

Prominent? I don't think so. Steve Goldman? Who Steve Goldman? I think I went to hebrew school with him or was that David Goldman?

Citing the thoughts of the overly biased nimrods at BP loses you credibility - not gains it. You want to share the merits of BP, try some website that gives a damn.

I enjoy the passion of fans, and I enjoy reading most of the opinions shared on this site. However, I get the impression that it's next to impossible for a non-White Sox fan to say anything that's not construed as critical.

We just don't care what you have to say. While I won't speak on behalf of PHG, it is my opinion that this is not a place started so that the world of baseball fans could talk ABOUT the White Sox, rather a place for White Sox fans to talk about their team. Me personally, I don't give a rats a$$ what someone thinks who is named Fenway, Cambridge, Bronx, HollywoodandVine, BayBridge or any other freaking monument to some other city/team that I don't give a damn about.

Unregistered
10-08-2005, 01:26 PM
The Sox are just the kind of team that gives the impression they're over-achieving -- he's not the first person to think it, obviously. When you throw guys like Ramirez and Ortiz up there, I can understand why you'd be baffled by our success. And that's half the fun of it for me right now.That's absolutely right. I can't remember how many times I'd see another team's message board or player quotes where we swept the series or took 2 of 3 and they're all going "The Sox got some breaks, but it could have been US sweeping. They didn't look that great out there, but we flat-out stunk."

That's what the White Sox do when they're playing their best ball. They play to your weaknesses and make it look like YOU played crappy instead of the Sox playing great. That's how they won 99 games this season, and that's how they swept this series. It's not smoke and mirrors, it's Smartball.
:D:

VenturaSoxFan23
10-08-2005, 01:36 PM
If Wakefield was here, we'd never see him. How often does your 7th starter ever take the hill?

I'd sooner start Luis Vizcaino than Wakefield. Neal Cotts over Wakefield. Cliff Politte over Wakefield.

Now, Wakefield would get a start over Marte. Shoot, I'd take McCarthy and drop "Amoco" Marte (Mr. Throw Gas On The Fire") in a heartbeat. They better do it, too.

Cambridge
10-08-2005, 01:46 PM
I'd sooner start Luis Vizcaino than Wakefield. Neal Cotts over Wakefield. Cliff Politte over Wakefield. too.

In the last 10 years, Wakefield has been below league average in ERA 8 times, at it once, and below it (by .001) once. He eats a lot of innings, has contributed in different roles when needed, and has won some big games.

Please give me reasons why you would start Vizcaino, Cotts and Politte over him. I'm curious as to what the real reasons are behind your opinion.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-08-2005, 01:51 PM
It's called humor. Wakefield's not gonna be here so why get all riled up about where he'd start on our roster. We can compare him to the Cubs' roster if it makes you happy.

I'd sooner start Ed Walsh than Wakefield and he's been dead for many years.

Daver
10-08-2005, 02:01 PM
In the last 10 years, Wakefield has been below league average in ERA 8 times, at it once, and below it (by .001) once. He eats a lot of innings, has contributed in different roles when needed, and has won some big games.

Please give me reasons why you would start Vizcaino, Cotts and Politte over him. I'm curious as to what the real reasons are behind your opinion.

I can give you an answer to that, in a win or go home situation, I would never put my faith in a junkball pitcher, ever.

SOXintheBURGH
10-08-2005, 02:04 PM
I can give you an answer to that, in a win or go home situation, I would never put my faith in a junkball pitcher, ever.

Bingo.

beckett21
10-08-2005, 02:05 PM
Hey Tim Wakefield:

:violin:

Thanks for playing! :redneck

PaleHoseGeorge
10-08-2005, 02:06 PM
I find it rather pathetic that somebody from the classy Red Sox thinks the better team doesn't always win after they got swept three-straight.

I don't recall anyone from the '00 Sox saying anything that stupid after Seattle broomed our team 3-straight in the ALDS. As I remember it was our underappreciated pitching that did great and our vaunted offense that let us down.

Silly me... I guess I need Baseball Prospectus to make sense of it all for me. Maybe Boston really is better than us...

Are they still calculating the odds the Sox don't make the post-season?

VenturaSoxFan23
10-08-2005, 02:16 PM
I'm still laughing about the one guy who said Mariotti's gonna rip into the Sox for not winning it in 2.

mccoydp
10-08-2005, 02:16 PM

The same, of course, goes for what is posted on message boards.

Are you Fenway's little brother?:cool:

JackParkman
10-08-2005, 02:30 PM
Well, if this week's result was more a case of the "hot" team winning rather than the "better" team, what exactly does Mr. Wakefield think that says about the 2004 Red Sox?

JorgeFabregas
10-08-2005, 02:42 PM
He was talking about the 2004 World Series. What he was saying was, "sure, it looks bad for the defending World Champs to get humiliated and swept 3-and-out in the postseason, but we were only champs because it's not always the best team (Cards) that wins but the hottest." Gotta agree with him.

No he wasn't. He was quoted in today's Tribune saying that he still thought Boston was the better team (than the White Sox).

RKMeibalane
10-08-2005, 02:45 PM

What are you talking about? Frank Thomas is nothing but an overweight, overpaid, steroid-using, wife-beating, clubhouse cancer. How do I know that? Jay Mariotti said so.

RKMeibalane
10-08-2005, 02:47 PM

:rolling: