PDA

View Full Version : A.J is one of the greatest...

mike squires
10-07-2005, 11:17 PM
TEAM players I have seen in a long long time. His approach to at bats and situations, giving himself up, moving the runner along etc. etc. The way he handles his pitching staff and take charge...this guy is underrated.

BlackHat91
10-07-2005, 11:20 PM
This "kid" has got to be some of the reason for our pitching staffs sucess this year.

Clubhouse cancer. He has ruined our team.

jabrch
10-07-2005, 11:26 PM
It's clubhouse cancers like him that held the Giants back last year...meanwhile the national media still fawns over Barroids as if he were the king.

Clubhouse cancer...right

HebrewHammer
10-07-2005, 11:31 PM
I just love the attitude he's brought to this pitching staff. His grit and toughness has rubbed off on a lot of our pitchers.

I also dig the fact that he's had one expression for the entire season. Succeed or fail, his expression has never changed. Whether he's hitting walkoffs or slamming his bat in frustration, it's the same.

lostletters
10-07-2005, 11:33 PM
TO this day my dad and I argue which is better for the white sox, Fisk or AJ. I think AJ may have proven that he may be the better guy even though he lacks the hitting numbers of Fisk during the regular season. The biggest tragedy to the white sox is not signing AJ to a long-term contract, because he is not only going to help the pitchers now, he is going to help along all the future pitchers.

Without AJ I do not think Garland or JC would be the same pitchers they are today. We would still be complaining about JC inconsitancy and calling Garland "judy". I think he is a HUGE reason why the Sox are were they are now, him and Pods completely changed the team and its mentality, probably the two best aquisitions KW had as a GM.

jabrch
10-07-2005, 11:40 PM
him and Pods completely changed the team and its mentality, probably the two best aquisitions KW had as a GM.

I don't disagree that those were good pickups...but there are a lot of moves that KW made that were crticized heavily by people here, as well as by the all knowing baseball media.

Loaize for Contreras
Jenks
Hermy
Miles for Uribe
Carl (twice)
Dye
etc...

Right now my vote is for Jenks for best move KW has made - but you could easily convince me to change my mind and AJ or Tadahito would be candidates. Either way, nobody can argue that KW has done a heck of a job putting together a team that is doing well this season and is positioned to do very well in the future. With the extra revenues from at least 5, possibly more, playoff games, I don't think KW will have any problem retaining the core of this team, and possibly making it even better next year.

I'm a big fan of KW.

DieTrying79
10-08-2005, 12:56 AM
AJ! AJ! AJ!

The guy has heart, love 'em.

MUsoxfan
10-08-2005, 12:57 AM
Big $$ extension....quick

fquaye149
10-08-2005, 01:04 AM
TO this day my dad and I argue which is better for the white sox, Fisk or AJ. I think AJ may have proven that he may be the better guy even though he lacks the hitting numbers of Fisk during the regular season. The biggest tragedy to the white sox is not signing AJ to a long-term contract, because he is not only going to help the pitchers now, he is going to help along all the future pitchers.

Without AJ I do not think Garland or JC would be the same pitchers they are today. We would still be complaining about JC inconsitancy and calling Garland "judy". I think he is a HUGE reason why the Sox are were they are now, him and Pods completely changed the team and its mentality, probably the two best aquisitions KW had as a GM.

Let me beat Daver to the punch and say that Fisk's advantages over AJ go far beyond offensive numbers. Fisk was a far superior defensive catcher and captain of the defense.

These are among the reasons Fisk is in the HOF and AJ won't likely sniff Cooperstown.

Having said that, AJ has been very solid for us, offensively, and to a lesser extent defensively. He has handled the staff well and whether you credit Cooper for calling the pitches or not, his no-nonsense approach has had to have helped Contreras emerge as the pitcher he is right now. We also shouldn't underestimate the effect of his loudmouthed antics behind the plate.

AJ was always the kind of guy we hated to play, which means him being on our team is something really nice to have. I like AJ a whole lot and wouldn't trade him for too many catchers in the MLB today.

Yes, he's not signed to a long-term deal...but fortunately we do have an option for him fo rnext year

HotelWhiteSox
10-08-2005, 01:11 AM
I hated him when he was a Twin, and now I can see why, I love him, another one of KW's great acquisitions, another bargain. Decent bat, great attitude/team player, and he has helped to reestablish pitching inside!

Just shows how dumb the media can be and how things can be blown out of context. I bet Carl is really a great guy too

Nellie_Fox
10-08-2005, 02:18 AM
TEAM players I have seen in a long long time. His approach to at bats and situations, giving himself up, moving the runner along etc. etc. The way he handles his pitching staff and take charge...this guy is underrated.Several years ago, I did a position by position comparison of the Sox and Twins here on WSI, in which I said of Twins catcher A.J. Pierzynski that I'd love to see him in a White Sox uniform. He's a hard-nosed, old-school ballplayer.

SweetnesSox
10-08-2005, 02:23 AM
I never truly appreciated how great AJ was til he was in a Sox uniform. He didn't have great stats, but with the Twins he was always a Sox killer. Now I know why: The Sox/Twins games from 2000-2004 were huge. And AJ gets up for big games. He's having a career year IMO, and he just basically gets the team fired up. I can say he's my favorite Sox player who's not injured.

doublem23
10-08-2005, 07:00 AM
I always liked this guy, even when he was on the Twins.

ode to veeck
10-08-2005, 07:10 AM
AJ's great with the bat on the basepaths and fits right into Ozzie's hard nosed baseball style. Piazza was good to point out time and time again in this series how well he handled the pitchers, especially in the critical situations (of which there were many in the last couple of games against baseball's most dangerous lineup)

ode to veeck
10-08-2005, 07:12 AM
One more thing (while trying to avoid the Fisk comparison too much), AJ does have a lot in common with Fisk in terms of style and attitude, nuf said

mrs. hendu
10-08-2005, 08:34 AM
TEAM players I have seen in a long long time. His approach to at bats and situations, giving himself up, moving the runner along etc. etc. The way he handles his pitching staff and take charge...this guy is underrated.

He's such an *******. :cool:

downstairs
10-08-2005, 09:16 AM
TO this day my dad and I argue which is better for the white sox, Fisk or AJ. I think AJ may have proven that he may be the better guy even though he lacks the hitting numbers of Fisk during the regular season.

Hmmmmm... I like 'em both... but your dad wins that argument until AJ does this for his 24th year...

jabrch
10-08-2005, 09:19 AM
I like AJ - but there is not a single thing AJ does better than Fisk in his prime.

DAllen15
10-08-2005, 09:25 AM
He's such an *******. :cool:

There was a similar thread on this in May/June? My posted response there was he is an *******, but now he is our *******!! I said he is the baseball equivalent of Dennis Rodman. He's all heart, and you hate him when he's not on your team, but when you got him you love him.

Manny hits a solo HR and starts taking off his batting gloves yesterday, this bravado is all part of the mind games of sports which we didn't have in years past.....all season, I loved watching AJ run across the pitching mound when he would get thrown out at first on his way back to the dug out to piss of the other teams pitcher; and yesterday, when he scored on the squeeze, did you see him giving the safe sign on the way back to the dug out? (Touche Manny) He's a competetor, and one of the fundamental reasons this team plays with the edge/tenacity that got them this far.

If this is Cancer, we don't need a cure!

delben91
10-08-2005, 09:28 AM
The intangibles AJ has brought to the Sox this season cannot be overstated. He'll never be the player Fisk was, but I wouldn't trade what AJ has brought to the team this year for anything.

tebman
10-08-2005, 09:29 AM
AJ's great with the bat on the basepaths and fits right into Ozzie's hard nosed baseball style. Piazza was good to point out time and time again in this series how well he handled the pitchers, especially in the critical situations (of which there were many in the last couple of games against baseball's most dangerous lineup)
I was thinking the same thing. The word "attitude" is overused, but a catcher really has to have it to be successful. He's the guy that sees every pitch, has the most direct contact with the opposing players, keeps track of his pitcher's progress, and is in the best position to report back to the bench what's really going on out there. The guy who does that has to have the "not on my watch" mentality of a nightclub bouncer.

A. J. has all that. He's not the hitter or defensive catcher that Fisk or Bench was, but they're not available, so it's a moot point. He's the best guy for this team at this time in this place and I'm really glad he's here. :yup:

Nellie_Fox
10-09-2005, 02:20 AM
I said he is the baseball equivalent of Dennis Rodman. He's all heart, and you hate him when he's not on your team, but when you got him you love him.I hated Rodman wherever he was, including when he was on the Bulls.

chisoxfanatic
10-09-2005, 02:36 AM
I think the biggest thing he's done to this team is bring what is known as SWAGGER...that's right! Swagger! In addition, he has allowed Jon to rid himself of the whole "Judy" tag and STAY Jon. He's worked well with the young guys in the bullpen (Cotts and Jenks) and has been offensively aggressive.

I don't think there's much more you could ask of a guy.

Foulke You
10-09-2005, 04:04 AM
I disliked A.J. when he was on the Twins but the reason was that he killed us so often. He is one of those guys you hate when he is against you but love when he is on your team. Bottom line, he is a winner.

kevin57
10-09-2005, 07:48 AM
The arguments for who is the Sox MVP of this terrific season would be interminable, but I think AJ should be right there in the mix. The intangibles, are the reason. Our pitchers, for all their success, can be "head cases" (think Garland). I'm convinced that AJ, with his experience and knowledge, gets their heads out of their nether regions and has made all that potential skill finally a reality.

DAllen15
10-09-2005, 09:57 AM
I hated Rodman wherever he was, including when he was on the Bulls.

Was it the hair thing?

Chips
10-09-2005, 10:11 AM
I like AJ - but there is not a single thing AJ does better than Fisk in his prime.

Fisk is hands down the better catcher, I love AJ, he was a great pickup. Fisk however kicked ass for 24 seasons, maybe 22 season, but I don't think there is any comparison. Maybe in 12 years when AJ is still behind the plate in a Sox uniform, it can be brought up.

vafan
10-09-2005, 11:01 AM
AJ Pierzynski was the best free agent signing of 2005 by any team.

Iguana775
10-09-2005, 11:23 AM
I hope KW gives him an extension this offseason. He's proved his worth to this team and needs to be rewarded.

fquaye149
10-09-2005, 12:43 PM
AJ Pierzynski was the best free agent signing of 2005 by any team.

Between him, Tad Iguchi, Jermaine Dye for 4 million, El Duque, Dustin Hermanson, and Bobby Jenks I think Kenny did all right in the free agent class

flo-B-flo
10-09-2005, 02:17 PM
He's such an *******. :cool: YES! and hats a GREAT thing. IMO he's the Sox MVP. For all he is and does.

Baby Fisk
10-09-2005, 02:56 PM
A lot of the flack A.J. took last season prolly stemmed from the fact that he was a newbie on a team that is DRAMATICALLY older than this year's White Sox. I did a count at the start of the season, and IIRC there were only TWO Giants on the opening day roster who were younger than 30. This would have contributed to A.J. "not fitting in" or being a "cancer" among the Geriatric Giants of 2004.

One of my very first actions upon arriving in Chicago at the start of this week was to purchase a Pierzynski T-Shirt at Grandstand. I love this bastard and hope he stays with the Sox for years to come! :thumbsup:

RockyMtnSoxFan
10-09-2005, 03:57 PM
One of the plays that I think went overlooked was AJ's at bat in the crucial fifth inning of Game 2. Rowand had driven in Carl and was standin on 2nd with none out. AJ was down in the count 1-2, but hit a chopper to the right side. It went down as a fielder's choice with Rowand advancing to third, and was eventually forgotten entirely after Gooch's 3 run HR, but at the time it was a very important play. That set up Crede's bouncer up the middle, which would have scored a run even if one of the fielder's had reached it. Basically, AJ's and Crede's at bats were the type of small ball play that got us here. The 3 run HR helped, and some would say that it was the most important element ("pitching, defense, and three-run homers"), but I think the fundamentals and chipping away at a 4 run lead were very important.

JohnBasedowYoda
10-09-2005, 04:04 PM
I said he is the baseball equivalent of Dennis Rodman. He's all heart, and you hate him when he's not on your team, but when you got him you love him.!

don't ever compare aj to that loudmouth dramaqueen

batmanZoSo
10-09-2005, 04:13 PM
One of the plays that I think went overlooked was AJ's at bat in the crucial fifth inning of Game 2. Rowand had driven in Carl and was standin on 2nd with none out. AJ was down in the count 1-2, but hit a chopper to the right side. It went down as a fielder's choice with Rowand advancing to third, and was eventually forgotten entirely after Gooch's 3 run HR, but at the time it was a very important play. That set up Crede's bouncer up the middle, which would have scored a run even if one of the fielder's had reached it. Basically, AJ's and Crede's at bats were the type of small ball play that got us here. The 3 run HR helped, and some would say that it was the most important element ("pitching, defense, and three-run homers"), but I think the fundamentals and chipping away at a 4 run lead were very important.

I consider Rowand's first inning at bat of Game 1 to be one of the biggest in the entire series. We were one strike away from going back to the dugout up 1-0, but he fouled off a few pitches and made it full, eventually getting a nice base hit on a tough pitch to drive in a run. Next, AJ put the game away for good. But without Rowand extending the inning, we're only up 1-0 and the tension level is still sky high. You never know what could've happened. Even though Clement had nothing that day, we could've went into shut down mode with the bats.

SOX ADDICT '73
10-09-2005, 04:22 PM
...we could've went into shut down mode with the bats.
Shoulda, woulda, coulda - DIDN'T! :wink:

antitwins13
10-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Someone get a clip of AJ doing the Boonewalk on this thread pronto!