PDA

View Full Version : For all the Anti-Konerkos and the Konerkoholics

Domeshot17
10-07-2005, 10:21 PM
I Personally, am a Konerkoholic. After his play in the series, some big defensive plays and a HUGE home run off Wakefield, plus 3 balls hit very hard off Wells, 2 or 3 to the wall, is it time to ink him up and bring him back now?

I dont think there is anyway we can let Paulie Go, and after Tonight, as long as he does not take it as a slap in the face, Next Year B Mac goes to the rotation, and El Duque becomes a very important middle-long reliever

veeter
10-07-2005, 10:34 PM
Paulie is worth the money because he's become consistent. You may over pay some but it'll be worth it. His importance goes beyond the numbers as well.

SoxFan64
10-07-2005, 10:40 PM
Paulie is worth the money because he's become consistent. You may over pay some but it'll be worth it. His importance goes beyond the numbers as well.

Yup. But if he costs us so much that we can't re-sign others needed then we are in a bind.

I like Paulie both for what he does on AND off the field. But I don't know what the fair price is for him. We ran into this problem with Maggs and Frank. The main differences are two: we are winning with him as our lead dog and the winning means more fans which translates into more money to spend.

So I am going to trust KW to make the right choice. He has so far -- with a few glitches along the way. But overall I will defer to a winning GM.

gosox3072
10-07-2005, 10:43 PM
I put give him 9 to 11, but more hoping for 9 rather than 11! IDK if his slow behind is worth 11. Even tho tonite he was awesome. If we did lose him...we need something BIG

rdwj
10-07-2005, 10:45 PM
I always liked Paulie, but never considered him a big game guy - I do now!

Frater Perdurabo
10-07-2005, 10:45 PM
I have a well-deserved reputation as a Konerko Kritic. However, if he continues his stellar, clutch play into the ALCS and even the World Series, I want him back in a Sox uniform in 2006. He has been awesome since June 1. His bat has carried the Sox offense for long stretches of the season. No one could be happier than me that he's performing well, because he's a big part of why the Sox are winning.
:bandance:

Unfortunately for the White Sox, I believe Konerko will receive several overoffers from other teams, especially the Yankees and Red Cubs. Both teams will want more power from first base, and Konerko will be the best free agent first baseman. (The archaic Tino Martinez, the fossilized John Olerud and the exceedingly average Kevin Millar are inadequate for the egos of owners of teams with quarter-billion dollar payrolls.) I do not think Kenny Williams will get himself into a bidding war with the Yankees and Red Sox. Even a World Series win will not get the White Sox a $150 million payroll. :(:

So, IMHO the only way Konerko stays is if he wants to take less money to stay with the World Champions. Therefore, if he stays, he probably won't hamstring the payroll. If he goes, the Sox will have tons of payroll flexibilty and/or chips to trade to bring in two left-handed hitters like Brian Giles, Carlos Delagdo, Todd Helton or Rafael Furcal (switch hitter) to replace him. No matter if he stays or goes, the Sox are in a great position to repeat in 2006. :smile:
:supernana:

Iguana775
10-07-2005, 11:08 PM
KW needs to do whatever he can to keep Kone. He carried the offense in the second half.

Optipessimism
10-07-2005, 11:25 PM
What about the 'we have no other choice but Ross Gload' option?

Konerkoholic
10-09-2005, 12:05 AM
Yes! My name's been dropped. Obviously, I think Paulie needs to stay. Pitching and defense have carried the Sox a long way, but you gotta have SOME offense. Konerko's been the steady power man all year and I think you must hold onto him.

voodoochile
10-09-2005, 12:14 AM
What about the 'we have no other choice but Ross Gload' option?

What? You mean the $8M that goes to PK this season cannot be put into another player?

I think PK had a very good season. I think he is a solid #4/5 hitter, but feel the Sox need a truly big bat ala Ramirez. The team has no #3 hitter. That's a LOT more important than a #4/5 hitter. The Sox could sign any number of guys to put up slightly worse numbers than Konerko for about half his price (Dye is an excellent example of this and DH/1B types get cheaper as they age).

I still feel the same way, though I'm probably willing to see the team spend as much as $10M on PK as his numbers are more in that range than a true $8M player. Heck, they could probably even go to $11, but I don't see him being worth more than that and it's such a huge part of the budget that it makes it tough to fill in the other holes. If Hunter is truly leavin the Twins, I'd rather have him and try to package Rowand/Hernandez and prospects for either Delgado or Rameriz or another big bat. Dye is fine in RF for another season, so the only spots that truly are available are DH and CF (Rowand is okay, but a better bat would be nice - since we have Pods in LF).

I don't view PK as an "at any cost" type of player. He's a solid player and he plays hard, but he's just not a superstar...

ChiSoxKB83
10-09-2005, 12:15 AM
I've been a Konerko fan since I first saw him play in spring training games back in 99. People always asked me why and I always said, "'Cause he's my diamond in the rough." I hope we keep him -- he seems happy here and I think more fans than not love watching him play here.

Does anyone remember the commercials from I think 2000 for These Kids Can Play? Our Paulie standing on first base with all the little kids running inbetween his legs, and then he just shrugs his shoulders ... I LOVED that commercial :D: It was also great to recently see the replays of him rounding the bases with a beer in his hand after winning the ALCS back in 2000.

Sorry, just had to reminisce ... much love for PK

CleeFan101
10-09-2005, 12:20 AM
I havent been Konerko's biggest fan but after this season I think he has earned a big contract.

Although the biggest contract I offer is 10 million a year for 3 years.... with an option for a 4th and 5th year. If he is going to get anything like 12 million a year he just isnt worth it.

nodiggity59
10-09-2005, 12:47 AM
What? You mean the $8M that goes to PK this season cannot be put into another player?

I think PK had a very good season. I think he is a solid #4/5 hitter, but feel the Sox need a truly big bat ala Ramirez. The team has no #3 hitter. That's a LOT more important than a #4/5 hitter. The Sox could sign any number of guys to put up slightly worse numbers than Konerko for about half his price (Dye is an excellent example of this and DH/1B types get cheaper as they age).

I still feel the same way, though I'm probably willing to see the team spend as much as $10M on PK as his numbers are more in that range than a true $8M player. Heck, they could probably even go to $11, but I don't see him being worth more than that and it's such a huge part of the budget that it makes it tough to fill in the other holes. If Hunter is truly leavin the Twins, I'd rather have him and try to package Rowand/Hernandez and prospects for either Delgado or Rameriz or another big bat. Dye is fine in RF for another season, so the only spots that truly are available are DH and CF (Rowand is okay, but a better bat would be nice - since we have Pods in LF).

I don't view PK as an "at any cost" type of player. He's a solid player and he plays hard, but he's just not a superstar...

Hunter makes $10mil next year......Konerko is a clearly a superior offensive 3-4 hitter AND he doesn't cost us talent to get back.

To me, that's why you resign Paulie: because he only set you back $11mil. You don't have to give up McCarthy/Young or any vital part of the team.

More than 11mil and I think he starts to outweigh his worth.

slobes
10-09-2005, 01:17 AM
I think the Sox should do whatever it takes to keep Konerko. He's been really consistent, being only one of the 5 guys to hit 40 HRs in the past two seasons. As much as I love the small ball/ozzie ball style of play, you still need someone to drive in some runs. His personality also seems to fit the team well.

johnny bench
10-09-2005, 08:05 AM
I would guess that the WS will be in the PK race in terms of per-year salary in the $8MM to $10MM range.

Where the WS will lose will be in the length of contract. KW will offer 3 years, option 4th, but PK will sign with another team offering guaranteed 4 (or more) years.

Hope I'm wrong.

JB

kevin57
10-09-2005, 08:41 AM
Up until the All-Star break, I was in the "Get Pop-Up Paulie out of town" crowd. As clean-up hitter he was not filling the bill.

Not only has he finally broken a major "slump," but his defense at 1st base over time has become more than respectable. Give him what he's been asking for. I hope that he doesn't get too greedy in the light of his recent success.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-09-2005, 09:55 AM
I think I have absolutely no opinion about this until after the '05 Sox win the world championship and the time is appropriate to discuss who should stay, who should go, and who we can afford to keep and/or get.

Keep your eyes on the prize, folks. You want to write bull**** about stupid and non-productive topics? I'm sure Dan McGrath is taking resumes over at Cubune sports.

:knue
"Not that we're biased or anything..."

voodoochile
10-09-2005, 11:42 AM
Hunter makes $10mil next year......Konerko is a clearly a superior offensive 3-4 hitter AND he doesn't cost us talent to get back.

To me, that's why you resign Paulie: because he only set you back $11mil. You don't have to give up McCarthy/Young or any vital part of the team.

More than 11mil and I think he starts to outweigh his worth.

Hunter also plays CF, but you are right about the rest of it.

Chips
10-09-2005, 11:47 AM
Up until the All-Star break, I was in the "Get Pop-Up Paulie out of town" crowd. As clean-up hitter he was not filling the bill.

Not only has he finally broken a major "slump," but his defense at 1st base over time has become more than respectable. Give him what he's been asking for. I hope that he doesn't get too greedy in the light of his recent success.

Even when "pop-up" Paulie was hitting .191 earlier in the season, he still won some games for us with his bat. I want him back.

EdHerman12
10-09-2005, 12:00 PM
I sure hope he stays. I admire his leadership, he plays a solid 1st base, hits awesome HR's...besides my Wife just bought me the home and road jerseys with 14 Konerko on the back.....

GO SOX!

Konerkoholic
10-09-2005, 12:25 PM
I think I have absolutely no opinion about this until after the '05 Sox win the world championship and the time is appropriate to discuss who should stay, who should go, and who we can afford to keep and/or get.

Keep your eyes on the prize, folks. You want to write bull**** about stupid and non-productive topics? I'm sure Dan McGrath is taking resumes over at Cubune sports.

:knue
"Not that we're biased or anything..."

Jeez, calm down, man. There's not going to be another Sox game for a few days, so we're gonna talk about other things for a little while. Besides, seeing as how Paulie made two huge plays in game 3 and is playing well on a national stage, this is a relevant topic.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-09-2005, 12:58 PM
....Besides, seeing as how Paulie made two huge plays in game 3 and is playing well on a national stage, this is a relevant topic.

It will be more relevant at the end of October.
:cool:

Let's wait to see how the last two acts of the play turn out before we start writing our critic's review, shall we?

:wink:

SOXSINCE'70
10-09-2005, 01:29 PM
Coming into 2005,my favorite Konerko memory went back to
a steamy June Sunday afternoon game against the Tiggers.

Steve Sparks (what a name from the past!) was throwing a 3 hitter.
Bottom of the 8th,Tiggers-6,SOX-0.I told my friend I wanted to leave.
The Sox weren't going to win this game.He laughed and told me,
"I drove to the park,and you're stuck with me.I want to see the
9th inning".
Long story short: The Sox score 4 in the 8th,2 in the 9th to tie it,
and win in the 10th on a 2 out,3 run bomb by Konerko that barely
missed the left field concourse.

Konerko is no superstar (yet),but he is important.
Hopefully,the Sox can reach an agreement with him.