PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Angels vs. Yankees, Next Opponent Thread

koch44
10-07-2005, 09:02 PM
Yankees tie the game at 5 in the bottom of the fifth. Cano on 3b with no outs.

Yankees now lead 6-5 on a sacrifice fly by Bernie Williams.

MRKARNO
10-07-2005, 09:16 PM
Now the game is retied at 6 after Erstad's RBI single.

gobears1987
10-07-2005, 10:30 PM
Go Yankees. I want to kill them in the ALCS.

Ol' No. 2
10-07-2005, 10:56 PM
Go Yankees. I want to kill them in the ALCS.Not gonna happen. The Angels are a better team. They're actually a lot like the White Sox.

FarWestChicago
10-07-2005, 10:59 PM
Not gonna happen. The Angels are a better team. They're actually a lot like the White Sox.It's almost like the Wrong Sox and Skanks watched way too much ESPN The Tabloid and decided they were all that mattered and only looked at each other. In the meantime the Sox and Rally Monkeys passed them up. :redneck

itsnotrequired
10-07-2005, 11:02 PM
I'm amazed at how few fans are left in the stands. The place is over half empty!

HotelWhiteSox
10-07-2005, 11:44 PM
I'm worried about Anaheim because they are so similar to us. We have better pitching, and I'd say they have an offensive edge, but I think they balance out. The offense is similar however, with Figgins (sp?) being similar to Pods, they can play small ball and hit the long ball, and there are plenty of guys who can get a big hit or get on base, a very balanced offense. I think we can still beat them though, it all comes back to the pitching, if it's on its game, you may want to get ready for the "TM screwed up my chance for ***** ****** tix!" threads.

I'd rather have NY since we'd have a better chance of beating them, get more attention while we beat them, and I can fued with some family from NY, and possibly crash with them with a possibility of a road trip for the road games :redneck

ilsox7
10-07-2005, 11:48 PM
I feel pretty confident that the Yankees will win tomorrow. Say whatever you want about them, but I don't see them lying down. This will go to a Game 5 and that's a toss up. But we should all be rooting for the Yankees tomorrow b/c that ensures whoever we play Tuesday will have flown across the country and back just a day or two prior to Game 1.

HotelWhiteSox
10-07-2005, 11:54 PM
Well, I think we all hope for it to go 5 games with both bullpen to be completely used up??

Then again, it'd be nice for scouting purposes to know who you're facing, but who cares, BRING EM ON! :cuss:

ilsox7
10-08-2005, 12:16 AM
Well, I think we all hope for it to go 5 games with both bullpen to be completely used up??

Then again, it'd be nice for scouting purposes to know who you're facing, but who cares, BRING EM ON! :cuss:

They have had scouts all over both of these teams for well over a month.

MUsoxfan
10-08-2005, 12:41 AM
Not gonna happen. The Angels are a better team. They're actually a lot like the White Sox.

That's a big part of the reason I'm dirtying myself by rooting for the Evil Empire in this round:(:

FarWestChicago
10-08-2005, 12:43 AM
That's a big part of the reason I'm dirtying myself by rooting for the Evil Empire in this round:(::darkclouds:

fquaye149
10-08-2005, 12:54 AM
:darkclouds:

Oh come on West - you know I love you, but I'm rooting for NYY here. Don't get me wrong, I'm just as confident we'd beat the Angels as beat the Yankees. However, wouldn't we all like to see us get an easier opponent.

Don't get me wrong - I'd like us to play the toughest teams we can if we're going to win. However, i'm more concerned with the ultimate goal of winning the WS than beating the "toughest" teams.

Trust me: I'm not ****ting the bed about any teams in the playoffs (Cards or Astros included) and to be honest, after the way we handled Boston they should be ****ting the bed at the thought of facing us. But what's wrong with hoping for the easiest road there possilbe?

FarWestChicago
10-08-2005, 01:20 AM
Oh come on West - you know I love you, but I'm rooting for NYY here. Don't get me wrong, I'm just as confident we'd beat the Angels as beat the Yankees. However, wouldn't we all like to see us get an easier opponent.Fear is the mind killer.

Just beat whoever the hell is in front of you. I'm so ****ing sick of people brownlegging over the goddamned A's, etc. If we aren't good enough to beat the damned Halo's, so be it. I think the Sox are.

TornLabrum
10-08-2005, 09:24 AM
I'll repeat here what I said in another thread. I prefer to face the Yankees next because:

1) I like the match-ups better.

2) I'm sure we'll be the underdog in the eyes of all the mediots one more time, and I like what we've done so far being in that position.

SOXSINCE'70
10-08-2005, 09:25 AM
Fear is the mind killer.

Just beat whoever the hell is in front of you. I'm so ****ing sick of people brownlegging over the goddamned A's, etc. If we aren't good enough to beat the damned Halo's, so be it. I think the Sox are.

Here's a Paul Konerko quote from the Saturday Cub-Une:

"I know guys on this team who are talking that we can do
this (winning a series) 2 more times".

I like confidence.But Ozzie will make sure the word "over"
does not come before "confident".

Ol' No. 2
10-08-2005, 09:48 AM
It's almost like the Wrong Sox and Skanks watched way too much ESPN The Tabloid and decided they were all that mattered and only looked at each other. In the meantime the Sox and Rally Monkeys passed them up. :redneckThe Angels won in 2002 with the same basic philosophy: solid pitching, and team play. They haven't changed. I'm surprised other teams haven't copied it, but I'll bet it's going to catch on after this year.

harwar
10-08-2005, 10:31 AM
The yankees are not going any further with the pitching that they have.
I think the White Sox -angels matchup would be a great series as both teams are so similar.
But we have one thing that they don't.They don't have Ozzie.Hes' the Captain of this pirate ship.

Fenway
10-08-2005, 11:07 AM
NY tabloids just love Randy :D:

http://www.nypost.com/img/front100805.gif (http://www.nypost.com/news/news.htm)http://www.nydailynews.com/ips_rich_content/515-BACK_BIG.jpg

HotelWhiteSox
10-08-2005, 12:24 PM
Today's game has already been postponed, no game today

Unregistered
10-08-2005, 12:44 PM
With today being postponed 'til tomorrow, if it goes to 5, is the ALCS pushed back?

NDSox12
10-08-2005, 01:27 PM
With today being postponed 'til tomorrow, if it goes to 5, is the ALCS pushed back?

I sure hope not considering I already bought my plane tickets to go to Game One. I'm due to fly back to DC Wednesday morning.

ilsox7
10-08-2005, 01:29 PM

Pretty sure it is not, mostly for television reasons. And tomorrow's game is scheduled for 6:30 Central time, meaning if the Yankees win, both teams fly overnight to L.A., play a night game, then the winner takes a red eye to Chicago to play us in a night game. Just an added advantage of sweeping and the Sox will need to take advantage of it!

Madvora
10-08-2005, 01:42 PM
Pretty sure it is not, mostly for television reasons. And tomorrow's game is scheduled for 6:30 Central time, meaning if the Yankees win, both teams fly overnight to L.A., play a night game, then the winner takes a red eye to Chicago to play us in a night game. Just an added advantage of sweeping and the Sox will need to take advantage of it!
Yeah, I think that extra day is built in there to keep on schedule too.
It looks like rain all day tomorrow in New York. Who know's if they'll even get that one in. I would love the Yankees to have to play a 15 inning game in Anaheim on Monday and then come back to Chicago on Tuesday for the game.

JRIG
10-09-2005, 03:51 PM
Per Fox TV, during the football game. Throat infection of some sort. John Lackey will pitch on short rest.

anewman35
10-09-2005, 03:59 PM
Per Fox TV, during the football game. Throat infection of some sort. John Lackey will pitch on short rest.

Good. Game 5 here we come!

knocko94
10-09-2005, 04:12 PM
why the heck wouldn't they start colon? he started game 1 would be on more rest than lackey.

Jjav829
10-09-2005, 04:13 PM
That's tough for the Angels. Colon could start on normal rest, but there's one problem, he's already back in Anaheim! Oops! So now they have to turn to Lackey on short rest. I wouldn't be surprised if Lackey steps it up. He's done a good job in big games so far in his career.

ilsox7
10-09-2005, 04:21 PM
I highly doubt they'd start Colon today under any circumstance. They just need to win 1 out of 2 games. You hold off on Colon in hopes you don't need him and he can start Game 1 of the ALCS. If you lose today, it's no big deal and you have your ace to bring it home.

Huisj
10-09-2005, 04:21 PM
Why in the world is a team's ace pitcher leaving the team during a crucial game in the playoffs? Doesn't that strike anyone else as strange. Would Guillen let Buerhle stay in Chicago last week when the team went to Boston? That's ridiculous.

Jjav829
10-09-2005, 04:23 PM
Why in the world is a team's ace pitcher leaving the team during a crucial game in the playoffs? Doesn't that strike anyone else as strange. Would Guillen let Buerhle stay in Chicago last week when the team went to Boston? That's ridiculous.

They sent him back to Anaheim to be ready for a game 5 tomorrow. It's a very common move to send the starting pitcher back early so he doesn't have to take the late night flight with everyone else. Obviously they were not anticipating Washburn coming down with a throat infection.

ilsox7
10-09-2005, 04:26 PM
They sent him back to Anaheim to be ready for a game 5 tomorrow. It's a very common move to send the starting pitcher back early so he doesn't have to take the late night flight with everyone else. Obviously they were not anticipating Washburn coming down with a throat infection.

Moose was also left in Anaheim and didn't even make the trip with the team back to NYC. It's quite common and very smart, especially when your team has the advantage in the series.

SOXSINCE'70
10-09-2005, 05:36 PM
Sadly,I must say this once again:

"Let's go,Yankmees!"
(clap-clap,clap-clap-clap)

MRKARNO
10-09-2005, 07:36 PM
I thought I'd revive this thread. Middle of the third and game 4 is tied at zero.

RadioheadRocks
10-09-2005, 08:37 PM
Angels draw first blood... 2-0, going to the bottom of the 6th.

ilsox7
10-09-2005, 08:37 PM
Is there any word on whether or not they'd push back the ALCS due to the West Coast time zone and a night game tomorrow? I too am going to Game 1 and will be flying out Tuesday, coming back Wednesday.

Speculation if this series goes 5 games the ALCS and NLCS will swap, with the ALCS starting Wednesday night.

JRIG
10-09-2005, 08:40 PM
I'm crossing my fingers the Angels hold on. That keeps us on schedule. Plus, Lackey's now burnt until Game 3 at the earliest, and Colon is still battling injuries too. And the Angels lineup, though dangerous, is nowhere near as potent as the Yanks.

Hang on Halos, hang on.

ilsox7
10-09-2005, 08:43 PM
I'm crossing my fingers the Angels hold on. That keeps us on schedule. Plus, Lackey's now burnt until Game 3 at the earliest, and Colon is still battling injuries too. And the Angels lineup, though dangerous, is nowhere near as potent as the Yanks.

Hang on Halos, hang on.

Yea, there are pros and cons to playing either team. Either way, it's gonna be a great series. And I just want it to get started.

goofymsfan
10-09-2005, 08:51 PM
Yea, there are pros and cons to playing either team. Either way, it's gonna be a great series. And I just want it to get started.

Agreed there are definately pros and cons of playing either team but not having to hear "Let's go Yankees" until next year would be wonderful! I definately would like to see this series over so the ALCS can get started.

Going to the 7th 2-1 Angels

Brian26
10-09-2005, 09:20 PM
Bad throw and bad tag. Sorry, Benji. Spankmees take the lead.

PAPChiSox729
10-09-2005, 09:21 PM
Bad throw and bad tag. Sorry, Benji. Spankmees take the lead.
Nice call by the ump. I thought he was out, but the replay showed otherwise.

FJA
10-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Nice call by the ump. I thought he was out, but the replay showed otherwise.

That was an excellent call ... what a horrible throw from Figgins.

slavko
10-09-2005, 09:26 PM
Either team's catcher shuts down our running game. We can't shut down the Angels running game. Yankees starting pitching scares me less than Angels. We've played the Yankees better this year than the Angels....Go Yankees(gasp)

Brian26
10-09-2005, 09:29 PM
Yankees starting pitching scares me less than Angels.

The only pitcher on NYY that scares me slightly is Rivera. We can and will own their starting staff if we play them, and Rivera won't mean a damn.

MRKARNO
10-09-2005, 09:33 PM
Either way, I really hope it goes 5. I think we match up better against New York, but we'll miss Colon if LAA loses tonight and wins tomorrow. I don't see how there can be a bad scenario, given that FOX has basically announced that the rumor of the later ALCS start is untrue, if the Yankees win tonight.

ilsox7
10-09-2005, 09:35 PM
Either way, I really hope it goes 5. I think we match up better against New York, but we'll miss Colon if LAA loses tonight and wins tomorrow. I don't see how there can be a bad scenario, given that FOX has basically announced that the rumor of the later ALCS start is untrue, if the Yankees win tonight.

OK, good. I have been half paying attention ot the game so I did not hear they announced this.

PAPChiSox729
10-09-2005, 09:38 PM
Rivera is out there in the 8th to try to pull of a Bobby Jenks.

:wink:

HotelWhiteSox
10-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Weird, I didn't know that if you put the DH in the field that you lose the spot and the pitcher must hit, I'm too young I guess.

Interesting move, as Rivera is now hitting 3rd. With slow Bernie out there, I may have taken my chances with Womack instead

FJA
10-09-2005, 09:42 PM
Either team's catcher shuts down our running game. We can't shut down the Angels running game. Yankees starting pitching scares me less than Angels. We've played the Yankees better this year than the Angels....Go Yankees(gasp)

I think you're mostly right. Yankees lineup scares me a bit more, but they often shut down against good pitching. Then you look toward the bullpen and the one thing they have that scares me to death is Rivera. The rest of the bullpen is very mediocre (I guess you have Flash), but Rivera basically forces you to press and try to win the game in eight innings. If we play close games - and this is the ALCS, not a cakewalk - that's a worry.

But I think the Sox are ready for anyone. My Yankee cheering is for tonight only, so that the Angels have to use Bartolo, and the Yankees have to use Mussina.

Against some of my better instincts, go Yanks.

MRKARNO
10-09-2005, 09:44 PM
OK, good. I have been half paying attention ot the game so I did not hear they announced this.

It was implied by FOX announcing multiple times that the ALCS would start Tuesday Night. I think that's confirmation enough that there are no plans to flip the start times around.

ilsox7
10-09-2005, 09:47 PM
It was implied by FOX announcing multiple times that the ALCS would start Tuesday Night. I think that's confirmation enough that there are no plans to flip the start times around.

Gotchya. Yea, I think they'd hold back on announcing it if they thought there was a chance things would change. Maybe Uncle Bud realized how incredibly unfair it'd be the both teams in the NLCS and the White Sox to accommodate for a team that had to go 5 games to get out of the ALDS.

elrod
10-09-2005, 09:57 PM
If we play the Yanks, I'd be more worried about the games here in Chicago than in New York. The Yankees are actually a much better road post-season team than a home post-season team.

Dan1972
10-09-2005, 10:07 PM

ESPN radio was just saying that MLB will have a decision on this after the game, and they might flip the NLCS and ALCS start dates.

ilsox7
10-09-2005, 10:10 PM
ESPN radio was just saying that MLB will have a decision on this after the game, and they might flip the NLCS and ALCS start dates.

I just have a feeling they are going to do it, even though it makes zero sense. I guess I won't be convinced otherwise til the idiot in charge has his say.

Brian26
10-09-2005, 10:11 PM
You know....I hope the Yankees win this thing. I want to beat this smug organization so badly in the ALCS on the big stage.

cheeses_h_rice
10-09-2005, 10:12 PM
Sweet. Colon has to be used in Game 5, so even if the Sox do face the Angels, we'll be starting with someone other than Lackey or Colon.

Still rooting "for" the Yanks, just so we can say we beat them, and so that the White Sox can become the sentimental favorite around the country, other than NYC.

Brian26
10-09-2005, 10:13 PM
Wow, what a riveting postgame interview with The Sheff. :rolleyes:

Get the marbles out of your mouth, bitch.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-09-2005, 10:13 PM
Sweet. Colon has to be used in Game 5, so even if the Sox do face the Angels, we'll be starting with someone other than Lackey or Colon.

Still rooting "for" the Yanks, just so we can say we beat them, and so that the White Sox can become the sentimental favorite around the country, other than NYC.

:hawk
"I luv it when you analyze."

Dan1972
10-09-2005, 10:14 PM
Wow, what a riveting postgame interview with The Sheff. :rolleyes:

Get the marbles out of your mouth, bitch.

No kidding! And English is his first language!

voodoochile
10-09-2005, 10:23 PM

Yep and they both have to travel cross country and play tomorrow night, so the winning team will have traveled 2000+ miles and played 2 games the two days before they arrive in chicago around 4 AM local time (if they are lucky)...

That's not all bad for us...

LuvSox
10-09-2005, 10:26 PM
Yanks win, no days off for our opponent. :)

Flight #24
10-09-2005, 11:00 PM
ALCS opening day starter: either a recovering Washburn or Paul Byrd on short rest, or for the Spankees, Wang or Randy J on short rest coming off of a beating. Meanwhile we counter with a rested Contreras.....not too shabby.

StillMissOzzie
10-09-2005, 11:16 PM
That was an excellent call ... what a horrible throw from Figgins.

No ****, 2-3 steps in on the grass by the time he makes the throw and he can't get it to the catcher on a fly. What's that, like 80 feet by then? Pathetic.

On the bright side, with Colon going in Game 5, even if the Angels win, he won't be ready to pitch again until next Saturday, so the Sox would likely only face their ace one time.

Same applies to Mussina if the Yanks win Game 5.

SMO
:gulp:

Chips
10-09-2005, 11:23 PM
Yanks win, no days off for our opponent. :)

Thats great, they travel from New York to LA to Chicago between now and Tuesday night, and they have to play a baseball game in between and sleep and get ready. I really like us in Game 1 especially with Contreras on the mound, knowing that Colon and Mussina will both be starting tomorrow (I think).
:)

PeteWard
10-09-2005, 11:36 PM
Sorry if this has been posted before, but why on earth did Sciosia give the hook to Lackey so early? I know he was on three-days' but that cost them the game.
Can anyone picture Ozzie doing that to one of the Sox starters?

elrod
10-09-2005, 11:41 PM
I think the Yankees are going to win tomorrow because they own Colon. And if we play the Yankees, the city of Chicago is going to be electric. I personally know 3 Cub fans who vowed to me that they will only root for the White Sox if they play the Yankees. And they are hardcores. The city will go crazy over a chance to knock off the $205 million payroll arrogant Yankees.

jfinsocal
10-09-2005, 11:53 PM
I suspect that Colon will be -160 over Mussina in Anaheim, translating to a ~60% chance of winning the series.

I think the LAA are a better matchup for the Sox for one primary reason; I wan't absolutely no part of Rivera in the 9th inning, the guy is a monster.

jfinsocal
10-09-2005, 11:56 PM
We'll I'm wrong, Vegas Insider has LAA -115 or -120 meaning they are a very slight favorite. If I were a betting man I'd lay some cash on the Halos.

batmanZoSo
10-10-2005, 12:51 AM
I hope it's Wednesday for us. I skipped class last Tuesday at 7 because I wanted to party after the game. I can't miss it two weeks in a row. Damn, I should've planned better.

HotelWhiteSox
10-10-2005, 12:16 PM
Oh man, if NY would win, their rookie, Wang, would start game 1 against Contreras. Are you kidding, this may be easier than the DS, the sad thing is that him and Chacon are proabably their best pitchers. Mussina is going tonight. Go Yankees!

SoxSpeed22
10-10-2005, 01:17 PM
Oh man, if NY would win, their rookie, Wang, would start game 1 against Contreras. Are you kidding, this may be easier than the DS, the sad thing is that him and Chacon are proabably their best pitchers. Mussina is going tonight. Go Yankees!Chacon definitely scares me the most out of all the Yankee starters. Lackey and Colon may give us problems because of our aggressiveness. We can beat either team.