PDA

View Full Version : CONGRATS!!!!! now win the damn pennant

Fenway
10-07-2005, 09:32 PM
or as we say in Boston "gonfolon" :smile:

I find myself now in a strange position. I want the Yankees to beat Anaheim.

Believe me I don't want NYY to win the pennant but I have severe doubts about the White Sox beating Anaheim. ( just look at 4 weeks ago )

I for personal reasons want the White Sox to win it all now because of some close friends I have been to White Sox games with

before the Boston series started I posted the following but nobody followed up, I hope someone now can at least point me back to that area mentioned.

Ya beat us every which way from Sunday and what El Duque did in the 6th inning will live forever in Boston baseball lore. He didn't get the win...he didn't get the save, but he got the biggest H in Chicago baseball history.

Congrats :gulp:

Even though I am a native Bostonian keep in mind I have seen more MLB games at 35th and Shields than any other ballpark save Fenway. I really hope for a great series and I have no idea how it will play out, if I did I would be wiring the $$$$ to Costa Rica right now :cool:

But for my old friends Bill in Oak Park, Steve in Evanston, Irv in Rogers Park, Jake in Buffalo and all of you at WSI, I wish a great and memorable series.

Funny I am thinking now of 2 guys I met at Comiskey in 1981 when I went to a Good Friday game between the two Sox teams. They invited me back to their neighborhood and I wound up crashing on their couch. I lost their phone number and never saw them again. What I remember was they lived near a bowling alley and a pinball manufacturer (Bally or Midway) But they loved their White Sox and treated this Bostonian like a long lost friend. I hope they are at the Cell today cheering their beloved Sox on.

Enjoy the playoffs

Chips
10-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Don't worry, WE WILL:D:

Bucky F. Dent
10-07-2005, 09:37 PM
YEP! Lets keep our eyes on the prize boys!

elrod
10-07-2005, 09:38 PM
Thanks Fenway. I'm incredibly excited for the ALCS. The CW around these parts is that the Angels are tougher than the Yanks. But I'm not so certain. The Angel lineup is very unimpressive. After watching Ortiz and Manny, I just don't fear Vladimir Guerrero the same way. I suppose the rest of the Angel lineup is more potent than the non-Manny/Ortiz portion of the Red Sox lineup these days. But compare it to Jeter-ARod-Giambi-Matsui-Sheffield? And with Mussina and Chacon looking sharp again? With Aaron Small looking like Cy Young? And who knows if Randy Johnson will return to form? I'd rather face the Angels than the Yankees.

Rikirk
10-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Thanks Fenway...

Most gracious of you.

Hopefully more good times are in wait for the White Sox.

And Boston has nothing to be unhappy about, they played well and made it fun.
They will do better next year.

Until then..

GO WHITE SOX!

Fenway
10-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Thanks Fenway. I'm incredibly excited for the ALCS. The CW around these parts is that the Angels are tougher than the Yanks. But I'm not so certain. The Angel lineup is very unimpressive. After watching Ortiz and Manny, I just don't fear Vladimir Guerrero the same way. I suppose the rest of the Angel lineup is more potent than the non-Manny/Ortiz portion of the Red Sox lineup these days. But compare it to Jeter-ARod-Giambi-Matsui-Sheffield? And with Mussina and Chacon looking sharp again? With Aaron Small looking like Cy Young? And who knows if Randy Johnson will return to form? I'd rather face the Angels than the Yankees.

I have no doubt the White Sox can beat the Yankees.
BUT
I also remember how easily the Los Angeles Angels of Orange County in the City of Anaheim of the State of California handled the WS in September at USCF.

swanson24
10-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Fenway you're a classy guy and I think arguably one of the best posters on this site. Thanks for showing sportsmanship and talking to us.:cool:

JohnBasedowYoda
10-07-2005, 09:43 PM
i'm glad we got to beat wrong sox 1st. i hope that shaughnessy jerk is crying in his used manny jock strap

MarySwiss
10-07-2005, 09:44 PM
or as we say in Boston "gonfolon" :smile:

I find myself now in a strange position. I want the Yankees to beat Anaheim.

Believe me I don't want NYY to win the pennant but I have severe doubts about the White Sox beating Anaheim. ( just look at 4 weeks ago )

I for personal reasons want the White Sox to win it all now because of some close friends I have been to White Sox games with

before the Boston series started I posted the following but nobody followed up, I hope someone now can at least point me back to that area mentioned.

Ya beat us every which way from Sunday and what El Duque did in the 6th inning will live forever in Boston baseball lore. He didn't get the win...he didn't get the save, but he got the biggest H in Chicago baseball history.

Congrats :gulp:

Thanks, Fenway! I want the Yankees too, but not because I fear the LAA of A. I want the Yankees for the same reason I wanted them as a resident of Phoenix in 2001: It just means SO MUCH more when you beat the Yankees. As it did for the D'Backs in 2001. And as it will--even more so!--for my beloved Sox in 2005.

Meanwhile Sox fans, let's just sit back and watch the Yanks and the LAA of A kick each other's asses for the next few games!

Fenway
10-07-2005, 09:50 PM
i'm glad we got to beat wrong sox 1st. i hope that shaughnessy jerk is crying in his used manny jock strap

I'm sure he has a book planned already :angry:

The Boston column to watch for tomorrow will be from Bob Ryan. I am betting it will be all in the White Sox favor.

I am still stunned by what El Duque did in the 6th he was the reason you have a "White Sox Winner" :smile:

skobabe8
10-07-2005, 09:53 PM

When the Sox were choking? When they couldnt beat the Indians or the Royals? When they dropped the first 2 "must win" games at Comerica?

I'd rather look ahead and see this team for what it is.....very good all year and getting hot at the right time. Bring on whoever.

Fenway
10-07-2005, 09:57 PM
When the Sox were choking? When they couldnt beat the Indians or the Royals? When they dropped the first 2 "must win" games at Comerica?

I'd rather look ahead and see this team for what it is.....very good all year and getting hot at the right time. Bring on whoever.

It is more than that

The White Sox and California don't get along. Their record out west the past 5 years has been terrible and I don't get it. It isn't like you have to fly 6 hours to get there.

elrod
10-07-2005, 10:00 PM
The Yankees just stormed back from a 5-0 deficit to tie the Angels.

32nd&Wallace
10-07-2005, 10:07 PM
Fenway, you are a good friend to this website...i am a little humbled watching the news coverage and seeing all the red sox fan who are wishing the sox well...i am even thinking of renting fever pitch tonight

Vernam
10-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Fenway, you're a good sport. I want the Yanks, too, but not because the Angels worry me. We owe NY payback for the 50s and several other decades, and I'd like to see the Sox get the attention that would go with a defeat of the Yanks. Even though we'd have to live a few games longer with national announcers who rhapsodize over teams -- even losing ones -- that come from a certain part of the country.:cool:

Sorry we put a dent in your team's mystique. I have a feeling Epstein will do something about that pitching staff next year.

Vernam

MRKARNO
10-07-2005, 10:10 PM
Fenway,

Thank you for staying with us despite some of the trollish behavior of some posters that have been here for a far shorter time than you have been here. Also, thank you for the congratulations despite your team (I get the sense that the White Sox are really a close second :D:) having lost.

DickAllen72
10-07-2005, 10:13 PM
Fenway you're a classy guy and I think arguably one of the best posters on this site. Thanks for showing sportsmanship and talking to us.:cool:
Ditto that.

skobabe8
10-07-2005, 10:32 PM
It is more than that

The White Sox and California don't get along. Their record out west the past 5 years has been terrible and I don't get it. It isn't like you have to fly 6 hours to get there.

Fens, I hear ya. But 4 weeks ago, the Sox couldnt beat anyone. Today, its like they cant lose. But they ALWAYS have trouble on the west coast, no matter how well they are playing. But I still want whoever. Things are just different now.

On a side note, I've always been interested in your posts and rspected your opinions, even moreso than other people on WSI.

Iwritecode
10-08-2005, 03:23 AM
It is more than that

That's fine. They'll just have to win the 4 games in Chicago then... :wink:

SweetnesSox
10-08-2005, 03:29 AM
I'd PREFER the Yankees to the Angels, but I don't care too much. I don't think either team will make a marked difference. They don't scare me. Maybe I'm being naive, but it's better than being paranoid, and remember "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you".

SOXfnNlansing
10-08-2005, 06:38 AM
Fenway you're a classy guy and I think arguably one of the best posters on this site. Thanks for showing sportsmanship and talking to us.:cool: :tealpolice:

SOXfnNlansing
10-08-2005, 06:44 AM
I have no doubt the White Sox can beat the Yankees.
BUT
I also remember how easily the Los Angeles Angels of Orange County in the City of Anaheim of the State of California handled the WS in September at USCF. :darkclouds: you have plenty of time to cheer on your Patriots now:dtroll:

Johnny Mostil
10-08-2005, 10:50 AM
Fens, I hear ya. But 4 weeks ago, the Sox couldnt beat anyone. Today, its like they cant lose. But they ALWAYS have trouble on the west coast, no matter how well they are playing. But I still want whoever.

Me too, sort of. Bring on the best, whoever that may be. To be the best you should beat the best (of the rest), no?

hawkjt
10-08-2005, 10:59 AM
Fenway- I have to say the red sox fans are classy. And Bob Ryan( the great american sportwriter) has always been my favorite. He is an awesome wordsmith and I just wish we had one columnist in this town that was close. Will he move?

Bottom line is that the Red Sox had their moment and now hopefully it can be the Sox time. I want the Yanks for many reasons including their lack of pitching,defense and the national spotlight. Also the tradition of the rivalry.

the angels can pitch. I think that would be much tougher.

Thank you Sox.

delben91
10-08-2005, 11:09 AM
Thanks Fenway. You've always been a quality poster here, and I never expected anything less than sportsmanship this series (from both you, and now Cambridge, who is also a class act from what I've seen).

My thanks for being a stand-up guy, and give my regards to Boston...I may not be a fan of their sports teams, but it's still one heck of a city.

Fenway
10-08-2005, 11:16 AM
Fenway,

Thank you for staying with us despite some of the trollish behavior of some posters that have been here for a far shorter time than you have been here. Also, thank you for the congratulations despite your team (I get the sense that the White Sox are really a close second :D:) having lost.

Mr K put it this way. On my left wrist is my Sox Pride band ( I never took it off during this series )

Back in June I tried to "convert" some Cub fans. It was a Tuesday night game with Arizona and I finally convinced Curt, Josh and Martin to go to a White Sox game.

Martin is about as North Side as you get, he is 55 and I'm not sure he had ever stepped foot on pavement south of Jackson. He grew up in Logan Square and now lives in Rogers Park.

It was a Pepsi night so we sat in the upper deck behind third. It wasn't a good night for the Pale Hose as Arizona won easily. Around the 4th inning Martin vanished for an hour and I thought he left. But he came back around the 7th inning and told me he had spent the last hour looking at all the murals on White Sox and Chicago history. "very nice he said"

At the end of the game he floored me by buying a White Sox hat at one of the trailers and last night he called and said "we beat ya" He has been back several times since.

harwar
10-08-2005, 11:20 AM
I would prefer to play the yankees but their pitching is woeful.
A White Sox - angel ALCS is not what the east coast media machine wants to see but too bad.

tstrike2000
10-08-2005, 11:28 AM
It's always cool to see classy people. We can and will win this pennant whether we're playing LAAAAA or N.Y.