PDA

View Full Version : Yanks or Angels?

A. Cavatica
10-07-2005, 09:19 PM
The players won't admit to a preference, but would you rather see the Angels or the Yankees in the ALCS?

It would surely be sweeter to beat the Yankees and their gargantuan payroll, but I think Anaheim would be easier. They won fewer games, they don't have the mystique, they don't have RJ and Rivera, and their hitting is far weaker.

Many have noticed the similarities to our Sox, and I like watching this kind of baseball!

I couldn't stand being beaten by the Yankees. I wish they hadn't made the playoffs. The sooner they exit the national scene, the better.

I suppose I couldn't stand being beaten by the Angels either, but I'd be able to wish them luck in the Series.

jfinsocal
10-07-2005, 09:21 PM
I'd much rather play the Angels. No way I want to see Johnson and Chacon twice in a series with those bats.

It doesn't hurt that it's a 90 min drive from my crib to Anaheim.

markopat
10-07-2005, 09:31 PM
I am 5 minutes from Angel Stadium...Scalpers...I need scalpers!! I went to all 4 games there earlier this year and welcome our Southside STUDS back to Anaheim!!!

Rock on!

KnightSox
10-07-2005, 09:33 PM
Yankees, 2nd city no more!!

Bucky F. Dent
10-07-2005, 09:39 PM
I'd rather beat the Yanks, but I don't think I could take the announcers damn near ignoring the fact that our team was on the field while they talked about their tragic hero, Joe Torre.

Lets play the angels!

Daver
10-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Bring on the Yankees, good pitching shuts them down even worse than the vaunted Red Sawx.

shes
10-07-2005, 09:41 PM
I think the Angels would give us nothing but fits. I'd much rather face New York.

SoxFan64
10-07-2005, 09:46 PM
Bring on the Yankees, good pitching shuts them down even worse than the vaunted Red Sawx.

I agree. Also it would be nice to see us knock off the Yanks and shut down ESPN.

Then again this is only if we win the ALCS. (Sorry, I may be knocked off for thinking like that.) But I could not stand the thought of listening to all the announcers wax on about Torre, and the last games of Bernie Williams, and hearing all about the rest of the Ancient Mariners (I mean Shanks).

So let's knock off New York and put ESPN out of business. :redneck

Chips
10-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Johnson, Chacon, and Mussina or Colon, Lachey, and Byrd. I'll take the Yankees hands down.

SoxEd
10-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Man, I so want it to be the Yanks in the ALCS, assorted reasons below:

We are, ahem, 'not at our best' against AL West teams;

We have a better record against NYY than LAAAAAA this season;

If we advance to the WS at their expense, we'll never have to listen to any 'you only got there because you never had to face the Yankees' baloney;

Can you imagine the media reaction if we're playing them?

It'd be this series all over again - experts saying how 'America's winningest and favouritest franchise' are facing off against some unheralded United Nations of Baseball managed by a crazy Latino guy;

We'd be as far Under The Radar as we can now get;

Every non-Yankee baseball fan in the country (world?) will be rooting for us if we play the Yankees, no-one will be watching if we play the Angels;

Imagine the feelings at ESPN if we play against their other team, and beat them too!

Let's Go White Sox!

CJLove23
10-07-2005, 10:24 PM
The Yankees, but at this point it doesn't really matter...

Bring 'em on!!!

PaleHoseGeorge
10-07-2005, 10:52 PM
I'm on the record for several weeks now saying it doesn't make any difference. Too much can happen in a short playoff series that lays waste to the very best "plans" for winning.

Anaheim caught the Sox lucky twice. The first time the umpires were sticking it to Ozzie. The second time the Sox were playing tight because they finally began believing all the Dark Cloud idiocy that claimed losing a 15-game lead to a ballclub winning 90 percent of their games was a "choke." Anaheim doesn't scare me.

The Yankees are improved, but the Sox throttled them earlier this season. I must say I relish the thought of Contreras and El Duque sticking it hard to those thankless jerks in the Bronx. They are peaking at just the right time.

For strictly selfish reasons, I pick New York. The media will NEVER pay attention to the Sox until they personally strangle the Yankees playoff hopes, thus gaining the attention of the NYC media for beating their darlings.

But frankly, I don't give a ****. Beating either of them will be awfully sweet.

JB98
10-07-2005, 10:56 PM
Bring me the Yankees. We've gone through Boston. After we go through New York, our critics will be forced to acknowledge that we are the best team in the American League.

The_Floridian
10-07-2005, 10:57 PM
The Yankees are essentially the same team as Boston, only with more pop top to bottom in the lineup. Rivera and Gordon are awesome, but beyond that their bullpen sucks. Two of their starters are highly untested. They use walks as an offensive weapon, but they won't get many of those from our pitching staff.

The Angels, on the other hand, are very similar to the Pale Hose. They do the little things but can hit the longball. Their starters are strong and their bullpen is tough. They play great defense and don't quit.

I think we match up better with the Yankees. But I think we're better than the Angels too.

Bring it.

A. Cavatica
10-07-2005, 11:30 PM
The Yankees have enough starting pitching for a playoff series. RJ and Moose are dependable, and they should be OK with Chacon/Small/Wang with the odd man out in long relief. They're certainly better than what we saw in Boston.

Plus, they've been the hotter team lately, playing in a tighter race.

I'd like to beat the Yankees, but the goal is to get to the World Series and win that. I thought we outplayed the Angels in Anaheim this year and they caught us at a good time (for them) in Chicago. I can actually imagine us sweeping them; not so the Yanks.

batmanZoSo
10-07-2005, 11:58 PM

I'm thinking the same thing. They're one-dimensional like Boston.

ode to veeck
10-08-2005, 12:01 AM
please fix the poll, there really needs to be a who cares option

Ol' No. 2
10-08-2005, 12:02 AM
All the reasons you want to play the Yankees are the same reasons it won't happen. The Angels are a better team. Get ready for them.

elrod
10-08-2005, 12:05 AM
How bad was Bengie Molina hurt tonight? He got nailed with a pitch on the elbow and had to leave the game. If he's out, the Angels will really be missing a clutch bat.

I know the Angels give us fits, especially out west, but the Yankees have a gargantuan lineup and their pitching staff has done well lately. I would actually prefer to see the Sox exorcise their West Coast demons in the playoffs more than beat the Yankees. The national media, and the non-Sox Chicago fans, may want a Sox-Yankees series. But as a White Sox fan, I'm more interested in beating the Angels.

Also, I hope the series goes five games so Colon is unavailable until Game Three.

tifosiv122
10-08-2005, 12:45 AM
Yankees, without a doubt. We split the series against them, did terrible against the Angles.

The Yankee bullpen is showing how weak it is, they are playing a tough series...if they win, we have a great chance to sweep again...and beating Boston and NY, nobody can say anything about us not being the best.

Erik

santo=dorf
10-08-2005, 12:46 AM
Last time I checked the Angels still played on the west coast where the Sox are like 9-68 in their last 77 games.

chaerulez
10-08-2005, 12:56 AM
It doesn't matter to me who the Sox face, because all that matters to me is we made it. But why is everyone assuming the Yankees are going to win? That sign at the Cell that said Sox 3 Boston 0, Sox 4 Yanks 0... and on other forums it seems like Sox fans just assume we are playing the Yankees. Right now I'd say the series is at a real toss up.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-08-2005, 12:58 AM
Wow. On the night we choke the last breath out of the defending world champions, some of you sound like tiny dick wonders running away from your own shadow with pee-soaked shorts over the prospect of playing Anaheim.

:o:

Guess what? The Sox are going to play whichever team wins the other ALDS whether you're crapping your pants or not. Understand?

Sheesh... after all this team has been through the Doubting Thomases still appear. I'm guessing Anaheim would move all their home games to Oakland, too, just to scare you further?

:?:

chidonez
10-08-2005, 01:00 AM
I tried to explain, to the best of my ability, why the Yankees needed to win tonight, to BoSox fans! They didn't get it. But since they want the ChiSox to win it all (if anyone is going to win it, why not they team that beat us), I had to explain that we like Chi vs. NYC better than against LA (or whatever). But it's true, I'd rather see the Big Apple.

batmanZoSo
10-08-2005, 01:01 AM
Yankees, without a doubt. We split the series against them, did terrible against the Angles.

The Yankee bullpen is showing how weak it is, they are playing a tough series...if they win, we have a great chance to sweep again...and beating Boston and NY, nobody can say anything about us not being the best.

Erik

We won 4 of the first 7 against the Angels, then we played them again when we couldn't have beaten a little league team. They'll be a lot tougher than Boston, but we didn't have too much trouble with them.

slobes
10-08-2005, 01:03 AM
Another reason i want the Yanks to win is that I would rather not have the Sox playing at 9 pm.

batmanZoSo
10-08-2005, 01:04 AM
Last time I checked the Angels still played on the west coast where the Sox are like 9-68 in their last 77 games.

We've done better lately out there and we only really need to win one out of three if we dominate at home. Technically we don't need to win any road games in any series in which we have homefield advantage.

HotelWhiteSox
10-08-2005, 01:06 AM
I'm guessing Anaheim would move all their home games to Oakland, too, just to scare you further?

:tool
We're working on it

Banix12
10-08-2005, 01:13 AM
I like the idea of facing the Yankees one-dementional offense and that soft middle relief corp. They would be my preference, also the cache of potentially knocking off both the Red Sox and Yankees in the playoffs sounds real fun.

Contreras absolutely owns them too.

I'm not frightened of the Angels though because the white sox have played them awfully well and before tonight the offense had not looked strong. I just think they are a stronger team than the Yankees.

Either way I want the current series to go 5 games and I want game 5 to 18 innings.

gbergman
10-10-2005, 04:14 AM
Even though we all dislike the yankees, and angels whom do you guys want to see win Mondays important game. Even though i live in Fullerton, which is 5 minutes from angel stadium and would love to see the Sox in postseason play in person i want the yankees to win cause we match up better i think. whats your opinion

ATXBMX
10-10-2005, 04:30 AM
Yankees for two reasons:

1) We match up better.
2) I want to really stick it to ESPN.

Chrisaway
10-10-2005, 04:31 AM
Id like to see us beat the yankees cause it'd really stick it to the ESPNY guys. But honestly I dont care who we get. Heres to them beating the crap outta each other game 5:gulp:.

TDog
10-10-2005, 11:44 AM
There are reasons why I don't care. Whichever team wins tonight is out of my control -- be it the co-champion of the AL East or the champion of the AL West. The White Sox, having beaten the other co-champions of the AL East, which finished with the same record as the champions of the AL West, will play the team that survives. It is out of my control. Worrying about the White Sox can be stressful enough for one postseason.

I'm not even concerned with the Angels -- that California team against which the Sox didn't play as well. When the Angels swept the Sox in Chicago, the Sox weren't playing good baseball. Games on the West Coast have been tough for the Sox, but I think that has had to do in part with the rigors of travel. In a series that begins in Chicago, both teams will face the same travel schedule to the coast. In fact, looking at that other ALDS series, the Angels would be the team with the more rigorous travel schedule this October.

Both teams are using their No. 1 starters tonight just to get a chance to face the Sox.

asindc
10-10-2005, 12:08 PM
Yanks, because I live on the East Coast and I might be able to go to a game in NY. Also, I will have bragging rights in my office for at least a year over both Boston and NY fans.

Consider this: No team has ever beaten both Boston and NY in the same playoffs. We might as well be the first.

tlebar318
10-10-2005, 12:13 PM
Yankees--nothing sweeter than beating them...I know some New Yorkers down here that say we can't hold the Yankees jock so for personal reasons I want the Yankees--Go Sox!:D:

Church Turtle
10-10-2005, 12:16 PM
I think we match up better against NY.

I believe we can beat either of them, however.

And for those that hope for both teams playing hard and all-out in game five tonight - sounds good to me, too.

Sad
10-10-2005, 12:51 PM
the Angels left handed bats hit SOX pitching pretty good this year... bring on the Yankees...

wouldn't it be sweet to look back on it all and have taken out Boston and NY?

ChicagoHoosier
10-10-2005, 12:53 PM
Although the Yankees seem a better matchup, not sure I want to face their experience and RJ twice. Either way, I feel we're the better team with better pitching depth and if we don't make dumb fielding errors or baserunning mistakes, we should beat either team in 6 or less games.

DAllen15
10-10-2005, 01:01 PM
Yanks all the way. The pressure will be on them as the globe will still perceive the White Sox as huge underdogs. Also we know what we're going to be dealing with facing the Yanks-Big Bats, potentially 2 stellar pitchers if they show up (not including Rivera). I think our strong rotation will be an big advantage in the long series. I am concerned that the Angels match up too closely to the WSox and can give us fits a number of different and unpredictable ways. Either way, we're in position to beat either of them.

kitekrazy
10-10-2005, 01:31 PM
Wow. On the night we choke the last breath out of the defending world champions, some of you sound like tiny dick wonders running away from your own shadow with pee-soaked shorts over the prospect of playing Anaheim.

:o:

Guess what? The Sox are going to play whichever team wins the other ALDS whether you're crapping your pants or not. Understand?

Sheesh... after all this team has been through the Doubting Thomases still appear. I'm guessing Anaheim would move all their home games to Oakland, too, just to scare you further?

:?:

LOL! The Sox won both home games with sellout crowds so I guess playing against the West Coast won't matter either, plus those games will be played earlier anyway.

Either team won't be a cakewalk.

Stroker Ace
10-10-2005, 01:34 PM
Yanks. Our pitching can shut them down, and I live 30 min. from Yankmee stadium. I HAVE TO SEE A SOX PLAYOFF GAME!!!!!

jerry myers
10-10-2005, 04:59 PM
boston fans will support the white sox in new york, they hate the yanks!

Number 9
10-10-2005, 05:09 PM
I have to cheer for the Angels tonight. My brother has 3 season tickets to the Angels and promised me one for games 3, 4 & 5. Just have to book a flight from NH. Too good to be true, which means the Sox will be playing the Yanks.