PDA

View Full Version : Where were you when the Sox won?

SoxFan64
10-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Fellow WSIers,

I just got back from the bar where I was watching our beloved Sox clinch the ALCS. It has been raining all day in my new hometown of DC (actually Silver Spring, MD) so the weather is a real downer but the result could not be any brighter. I was watching the game at the local waterhole with another long-time long suffering Sox fan. We were the only two people in a large pool hall / sports bar with two BoSox bartenders for company.

One of the bartenders told us that the Carmines would win because we had more ex-Yankess pitching for us (this as El Duque was coming in with the bags packed). I responded that we would win because they had more ex-Chicago players than we had Yankess. I guess I was right. :redneck

With each El Duque out we got louder and louder, finally someone came up to us and asked if we were "really White Sox fans or just Yankess fans cheering against Boston". He could not believe that there were even Sox fans in DC. This guy was a native Washingtonian who started cheering for the Sox in 1971 when the Senators left town and he did not have a team to cheer for. His favoirte player was Dick Allen. It was wonderful. :wink:

Needless to say, we let out a huge cheer in this pool hall / bar and no one even noticed us. It was as if we were at home watching it on tv. I knew I could write something here and there would be others who like me are thrilled at seeing our first winning series. (I doubt there are too many people on this site that were around for the 1917 win -- maybe :cool:).

I would love to hear from you. I would like to know where you were, who you were with, and what it felt like when the final out was made?

Only a Sox fan can really appreciate this moment. I was not around for the 59 Sox and the air raid siren but it must be great back in Chicago. Share it with us who are many miles from home.

Thanks.

:bandance::bandance::bandance:

eastchicagosoxfan
10-07-2005, 09:19 PM
I had just walked through the door. I was unable to watch any of the first two games, although I followed them online. We had the TV's on at work today, so I caught a pitch here and there. I closed the shop up, and heard the top of the ninth on the radio, and was in the house to catch the final three outs. Jenks made it look easy.

spawn
10-07-2005, 09:21 PM
I was sitting on my couch...and may I say that I love DVR...I was able to rewind the last out over and over and over again. I also got to rewind Berman's disappointment at Damon striking out in the 6th.:D:

doublem23
10-07-2005, 09:21 PM
Sully's, Downtown Peoria.

:)

I immediately called my dad, who was in America for only a few years when the sirens went off in 1959. His words were, "I... I don't even know how to react."

elrod
10-07-2005, 09:22 PM
I was home and I was pacing. A lot. I don't think my 3-year old son has ever seen me jump for joy that much when the WHite Sox got the last out.

KnightSox
10-07-2005, 09:26 PM
I was at home with my long suffering 87 year old grandfather enjoying a great Sox moment.

The Wall
Home... on my couch. Got out of work when the 6th was about to start and got home just in time for Konerko's drive. That inning was like the longest ever I've seen in my life. What was it? an hour or more??

mike squires
I watched the first 4 innings or so with an old co worker at Legends in Champaign. I brought along my 22 month old daughter who did great. I was kind of distracted though. I hurried home and watched the rest of the game while my girl napped. For awhile I sat in this little plastic chair she has so I could be right in front of the TV. When they won it I was sitting on the couch with my wife. We exchanged high fives. I felt relieved that it was over but also want to be able to watch them as much as I can. I stood the entire inning when El Duque came in. Wow, what a last three games this has been...

Foulke You
10-07-2005, 09:29 PM
The Stadium sports bar in Des Plaines. Had a lot of fun, lots of cheering Sox fans there. Can you believe the Cub fan manager tried to turn the TVs near us to Sportscenter, 1 minute after the conclusion of the game??!! I yelled at him to leave it on. He looked at me with a scowl and said "the game is over" and I said, "excuse me, I'd like to watch my team celebrate with champagne!". He left it on after that with an annoyed expression. I guess expecting class from a Cub fan is expecting too much.:mad:

All the Sox fans got in the middle of the bar for a cheers to a White Sox winner! Definitely a moment I'll remember as a fan for the rest of my life.:gulp:

zach23
10-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Watched the whole game at home. I scared the dogs and the kid everytime I jumped up and yelled. I went nuts when the last out was made. I have been waiting for well over 30 years to do this. I don't have much of a voice left after seeing games 1 and 2 in person and yelling like a crazed maniac at both.

CJLove23
10-07-2005, 09:30 PM
In my home, on my couch with my mom and brother. Three of the greatest Sox fans, yelping and cheering, pacing and sweating. I wouldn't have had it any other way. I wouldn't want to sorround myself with stupid Red Cub fans and especially in Chicago dumba$$ Cub fans still thinking they have the right to say anything about their "team", so I was in my safety zone enjoying it the right way!! :redneck:redneck:redneck

Chips
10-07-2005, 09:31 PM
I started watching the game at work and then I went to Durbins around 4:30 to finish it off. The place went nuts.

:supernana:

pczarapa
10-07-2005, 09:31 PM
Sitting (actually standing) in my front room here in Lexington, KY - man this is a cool feeling.

hansgruber
10-07-2005, 09:37 PM
At work with my cell phone in hand checking the score every few minutes.
A couple guys I work with gave me news of the final out while I was helping someone out.

I watched a couple of innings on my lunchbreak but only saw Ortiz and Manny go back-to-back. I wish I couldve been out in a bar at the end of the game. Wouldve been great

swanson24
10-07-2005, 09:38 PM
I was at my fraternity house in Quincy Illinois surrounded by a few Cardinals fans and a couple Cubs fans who have witnessed my obsession with the Chicago White Sox first hand. They all rooted our Southside Boys on with me and laughed as I let out a big Yeeesssss when Renteria grounded out to Iguchi.
:cool:

Bucky F. Dent
10-07-2005, 09:41 PM
Dancing with my fifteen month old daughter.

She had her Sox hat on, and so did Dad!

mccoydp
10-07-2005, 09:53 PM
I was at home, watching from my couch with my wife.

mpshans
10-07-2005, 09:56 PM
I was in a small bar in upstate new york. We had to go to three bars to find one that had espn2. The upstaters were all itching to watch the Syr football game. thankfully it was also on espn2. They were all yankee fans so they were rooting along with us.

NDSox12
10-07-2005, 09:56 PM
Like the original poster, I was at a bar/restaurant in the DC metropolitan area... I was at Damon's in Chantilly, VA. There were three White Sox fans in the joint (myself, my sister and one other random guy) along with a large number of Red Sox fans. If I'm going to be badly outnumbered like that, it is always nice to walk out a winner!

SoxRulecubsdrool
10-07-2005, 10:00 PM
Two spots at once. Boincing back and forth between screenroom and kitchen. Had cold beers in kitchen fridge. Had cold beers in screenroom fridge. When we clinched, ran into family room to high-five my wife and two daughters. They have seen me chew down my fingernails and battled well the last few weeks. They were in celebratory mood. I got to slam all beers with no questions asked.

Shammy Hater
10-07-2005, 10:02 PM
at b-dubs in kalamazoo. there was a handful of sox fans and a handful of red sox fans there. they got REAL quiet late.

MiamiSpartan
10-07-2005, 10:10 PM
Home on my couch. My partner is out of town, which is a good thing, 'cause he would not understand the tears watching us win....I'll have to leave town if we win it all!:redneck

zach074
10-07-2005, 10:10 PM
I was just watching the game at home. Well since we have Dishnetwork our feed is slow so i was listening since i could hear it quicker than i would see it.

halfpricemonday
10-07-2005, 10:16 PM
In the car driving home after pleading my wife to make sure the TiVo caught the last out. When Rooney called the last out, my phone immediately rang, and it was my dad calling from California to congratulate me on the team's big win.

Got home, stopped the TiVo right before Berman's love letter to the Boston fans, and gave the game "Keep Until I Delete" status. I'll be watching the bottom of the 6th a lot tonight. :D:

whitesoxfan1986
10-07-2005, 10:17 PM
At work :angry: :angry: :angry:

scottjanssens
10-07-2005, 11:13 PM
At Monk's chanting Bobby, Bobby and then singing Na Na (Kiss Him Goodbye).

soxjim
10-07-2005, 11:18 PM
At a bar in Genoa watching the game with coworkers. We came back to Rockford listening to the Lets Go Go White Sox song all the way home.

itsnotrequired
10-07-2005, 11:21 PM
Sitting in my apartment with my wife and one month old son (first child). I left work early to watch the game with them. We are on the 2200 block of West Addison Street so we are firmly entrenched in Cubs territory. A great victory and a great way to intoduce junior to the ways of the pale hose!:bandance:

1951Campbell
10-07-2005, 11:32 PM
Carlisle All-Star Cafe. As I walked out, I gave the Nixon victory sign and yelled "I love this team" as my wife hustled me out.

I am deep in Central PA, but the cook there is a die-hard Sox fan. :D:

Dub25
10-07-2005, 11:38 PM
I'm in Springfield for a wedding tomorrow so I went to Hooters. I'm generally not a huge fan of Hooters but for you boys that can't get enough I was really impressed with the staff in Springfield.

Goose
10-07-2005, 11:43 PM
At Monks with a lot of the guys from here...It was an awesome event!

WinOrDyeTrying
10-07-2005, 11:45 PM
I was at the station.... then right after the game we had to go out (and the water was rough!) because we got a tip that there was a drug run. Not much celebrating time for me.

southsidegirl
10-07-2005, 11:48 PM
I was at marching band icing my head because I got hit in the head with a rifle. (It's a long story...wind is not a guard girl's friend) I wish I could have seen them win in person, but that would mean I would have had to watch that 6th inning...I had my mom call me when anything happened and all the Sox fans in the band rejoyced when they heard of the victory.

I can't wait to watch the ALCS.

SoxFan78
10-07-2005, 11:53 PM
I was at North Beach in Downers Grove. I left work right at the top of the sixth and got to North Beach when Damaso got taken out and El Duque got in. Watching him get those three outs was magical.

When the Sox got the final out the bar cheered, and we got free shots.

I still can't believe it.

ChiSox Fan 68
10-07-2005, 11:56 PM
I was at RAM in Schaumburg with my husband and a bunch of friends. After the Sox won, after all the hugs and high-fives, I called my dad. He raised me, in Dolton, as a die-hard Sox fan. I remember his stories of the 1959 Sox. There was no one else I wanted to talk to more than him at that very moment. He was so excited and before we hung up, I said to him, Thank you, Dad, for raising me a Sox fan. I closed my cell phone and cried. This was an incredibly emotional day for me - I don't even know why I was crying so hard - but it was one of the most wonderful days of my life. I can't even imagine what the next couple weeks might hold....

ChiSoxGirl
10-08-2005, 12:04 AM
I headed out to Shoeless Joe's in Rosemont around the 4th inning and celebrated there until 9:30 or so. There were a TON of people in Sox gear out there today and the place was absolutely packed when I got there. Good thing I went out alone or there'd be no place for me to sit, as a singleton was all I could find! BTW- Randar68, I looked for you & your friend, but couldn't find you guys.

The fans in Shoeless Joe's were hanging on every pitch and when El Duque got out of the 6th unscathed, the place absolutely erupted... almost as loudly as we erupted on the suicide squeeze and when the 27th out was made! :bandance:

I was also interviewed by The Daily Herald and it'll be published in tomorrow's paper!!! I was recognized from Hangar18's birthday party a couple weeks ago by the photographer (for those of you who were at the party... the guy with the audacity to show up in a Cub hat) & journalist, so the woman came up to me and started asking me a bunch of questions about being a Sox fan, this year's team, how gratifying this season has been so far, etc. Pretty cool!

I also completely randomly met SOXSINCE70... he was sitting right next to me! Nice to meet ya.

Viva Medias B's
10-08-2005, 12:27 AM
I was sitting in the stands of Marist Stadium and listening to the game on my walkman. When the final out was made, the crowd attending the Marist-Nazareth sophomore game cheered.

chidonez
10-08-2005, 12:38 AM
I was at the Druid and then the Abbey Lounge in Cambridge/Somerville, MA (in beantown). Life IS GOOD!

bridgeportcopper
10-08-2005, 12:49 AM
Bourbon St. - you may have seen me on channel 9's pregame show. Place went crazy - great memory!

SouthSideHitman
10-08-2005, 01:00 AM
I was at the New Trier Season Opener debate tournament in Winnetka, judging debate rounds. My coach walked into my round three times to update the score as the debate was in progress. Then, when it was over I rushed to the coaches lounge and watched the last inning on gamecast over the internet. After it was over we informed all the northside cubs fans and boston fans (there were schools from all over the country there) that the White Sox had swept. It was beautiful.

DaleJRFan
10-08-2005, 01:04 AM
on my couch with my woman watching on my roommate's 60" Sony Vega HD... She (my girlfriend) is my goodluck charm. Every Sox game we went to this season, they won. Every time she watches the games, they win. Hell, on Wednesday when Iguchi hit the game winning HR, I was talking to her on the phone :redneck I told her she is not allowed to miss a game, ever again.

CHISOXFAN13
10-08-2005, 01:05 AM
Bourbon St. - you may have seen me on channel 9's pregame show. Place went crazy - great memory!

I was also there. Great place to watch a game. Music between innings, including "GO GO White Sox" throughout the game.

johnnyg83
10-08-2005, 01:07 AM
KC, in a bar in Brookside with a buddy from NW Indiana. The crowd was decidely pro-Bosox but just b/c I was being an a-hole not b.c they cared. But after El Duque shut them down they were quiet. That was one for the ages -- Viva El Duque!

whitesoxwilkes
10-08-2005, 01:37 AM
I was at the New Trier Season Opener debate tournament in Winnetka, judging debate rounds. My coach walked into my round three times to update the score as the debate was in progress. Then, when it was over I rushed to the coaches lounge and watched the last inning on gamecast over the internet. After it was over we informed all the northside cubs fans and boston fans (there were schools from all over the country there) that the White Sox had swept. It was beautiful.

I was at Monk's, got to meet a whole bunch of my fellow WSIers.

SSH--if you guys ever need debate judges, drop me a line.

Wilkes
1992 and 1993 New York State Extemp Champ (don't ask)

SouthSide_HitMen
10-08-2005, 03:51 AM
Enjoyed the win at Monks (I have left work for a few cocktails during White Sox day games at Monks before but none was better and "the beer never tasted better" than this White Sox win)!!! Nice to meet all of you today and I hope to catch up with you during another road game or a "Core of the Core" down the line.

Go White Sox!!!

StockdaleForVeep
10-08-2005, 03:56 AM
Mollys bar and grille

dekalb, illinois

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-08-2005, 04:08 AM
I was in the WSI chat while watching the game on TV and listening to Ed and John on the radio. I think I blew out my computer speakers due to all of the people doing the *boom* in the chat. :smile:

ferdinandshen
10-08-2005, 05:52 AM
I was sitting in the 24 cafe near my office in San Francisco. (Very close to the SBC park, home of sucky SF Giants. How can they call AJ Pierzynski a "cancer"? I never like them anyway.) As the game goes, I am surrounded by more and more angry Red Sox fans, shouting for every single pitch. I was wearing my cap (bought in 1998, unwashed since then), my Tee and a game-used Von Joshua jersey (obtained at 2001 garage sale). A guy approached me and said he has never seen even a walking White Sox fan in his life. Well, now you know one, I said.

Bottom 6th, loaded, no out. Tell you the truth, I was not panic at all. I donno why. I just feel so confident that El Duque will smoke them all. Bottom 9th, Bobby got them 1-2-3. I was just like :bandance: , raising my arms and walk out of the cafe. I've never feel so proud of myself for my whole life -- so many people in a cafe and I am te only one rooting for the winning team.

The only trouble is: the coffee lady is also a Red Sox fan. I truly donno if I'll be refused service in the future.

voodoochile
10-08-2005, 05:55 AM
Somewhere in Chili's. I had to actually ask for the final just to be sure. Of course I bought the guy a beer who gave it to me...:D:

Just doing my job sort of like the Sox did...:cool:

SOXfnNlansing
10-08-2005, 06:28 AM
I'm working 7 12's at night (I work 4p-4a) at the BP refinery in Whiting IN. I just got done watching the game (Thank you tivo), but I was hiding in a port-o-potty at work refreshing my cell phone link to espn to find out Rentarea grounded out to end the game :bandance: . I'll be working out there until probably the beginning of December. ps. I know I spelled Rentarea (I don't want to look up his name to spell it correctly) wrong, but I'm a little buzzed and a lot tired right now. I have to get to sleep and do it all over again in a few hours.

cbone
10-08-2005, 08:26 AM
T.C.'s on 97th in Cicero. Great place to watch the game. 35 tv's and jammed with Sox fans. My wife, brother, cousin, and I all went nuts! Over to Louie's for a steak to celebrate a little more. That is the most memorable game I have ever seen, hands down.

soxrme
10-08-2005, 09:08 AM
We were the the Thornwood Bar and Lounge in Wood Dale. It is owned by two very loyal cub fans and was always populated with cub fans. It is a good bar and a pretty big place and was filled with roaring SOX fans. That 6th inning almost gave everybody a heart atack. It was great.

mrs. hendu
10-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Well, Mrs. Hendu was at home with her cat who totally didn't care :wink: . I was watching teh game on TV and checking WSI all the time. Unfortunately, Hendu had to work overtime, so we didn't watch this historic game together. :whiner:

SOXSINCE'70
10-08-2005, 09:36 AM
Shoeless Joe's in Rosemont,IL.What a party!

I also met Chisoxgirl.:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

TomBradley72
10-08-2005, 09:49 AM
I was (am) up here in the Upper Peninsula for a wedding of one of my wife's college roomates. My only lifeline to the game (rehearsal dinner was out on the bride's farm....deer drinking out of a river....the whole thing) was a Red Sox fan who could still get cell phone service. About every 20 minutes or so he'd wander off and climb the one little hill where he could get a signal and pick up text messages from his buddy's at the game. He finally comes back....show me the final text message from his friends: CHI WINS.

To the team that gave us:

An astroturf infield with a grass outfield
Chuck Tanner, Dick Allen and Wilbur Wood
The "near great" teams of 1972 and 1977
Bill Veeck and Roland Hemond
Disco Demolition and those ridiculous uniforms
Harry Chappas
"Washington Slept Here"
Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall
Winning Ugly
The Dybber and Tito Landrum
LaRussa, Pudge, Harold and Tom Seaver
The wasteland of the late 80's
The hope of '93...the missed opportunity in '94
The Terry Bevington Era
The great run in 2000....the dissappointment against Seattle
David Wells, Todd Ritchie, Royce Clayton and Billy Koch...ugh.
KW and Ozzieball
Crede, Uribe, Iguchi and Konerko 3rd to 1st
Podsednik, Rowand and Dye Left to Right
AJ behind the plate
Crazy Carl at DH while Frank watches...no justice.
Jose, Mark, Freddy and Jon
Bobby...Bobby....Bobby...out of the pen

It's all been worth it.

8 more to go! :gulp:

Sad
10-08-2005, 10:01 AM
watched at home as well
WOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
even that moron Berman couldn't spoil my mood :mad: :D:
he sure wanted that Nixon flyout to be home run #3... idiot

friends came over around the 7th & we had a fire on patio afterwards & the beer was flowin'... what a party... what great days!

I'm proud of our boys :smile:

grizzbr
10-08-2005, 10:10 AM
Sitting amongst Red Sox (Twins) fans at the VFW Post in Chaska, MN. Amazing how everyone was rooting for Boston, but my wife and I were all decked out in our Black SOX attire and being loud and raucous- especially after the bottom of the 6th (whew!!).Bartenders did buy us a celebration drink. It was an amazing afternoon for a die hard tranplanted SOX fan.

harwar
10-08-2005, 10:20 AM
In my den going crazy with a few other die-hards!

sullythered
10-08-2005, 10:28 AM
I was at TC Pub in Oak Lawn. Great place to watch the Sox. Dave Wills showed up after the game, as he used to tend bar there. I asked him about the open announce position, but he said he didn't have an out clause in his Tampa deal. Oh well. Go Sox!

kevin57
10-08-2005, 10:30 AM
At Monk's.

Actually, I caught only snipets of most of the game...work, you know. Then, I had to catch the CTA Orange Line to have any chance of celebrating the winning moment. At that point, El Duque had just gotten the first of three glorious outs in the 6th. When I arrived and was told, "Only three outs to go!" I was thrilled! The squeeze was amazing. Imagine, sending a catcher on a suicide. Ozzie, at times you're maddening (let's not do a Marte redux), but more often you're wonderful! :smile:

Railsplitter
10-08-2005, 10:36 AM
Watching from my living room.

CHEESESOXER
10-08-2005, 11:31 AM
I was sitting in my private skybox(front row, couch).

I'm in WI and had to suffer through Combover's whining because WGN was blocked out.
I would have loved to have GN on instead of that whiney loser.

Someone in another thread said that Buck will be professional and not show favoritism.
I have to agree with that statement.
He's pretty damn good.
I just wish the motor mouth with him would go away.

supertwangreverb
10-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Watching in the basement, making my girlfriend and all her old highschool friends wait around for me before they went to their highschool's 50th anniversary football game. I still can't get over what El Duque did!! (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051007&content_id=1241391&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

Pulaski
10-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Phil and Lou's in the West Loop!!!!

ThatGuyOnTheL
10-08-2005, 12:58 PM
At work... the TVs on the accounting floor are supposed to stay tuned to CNN/MSNBC/CNBC/Bloomberg, but exceptions are made for baseball games of great importance. I was done with my work by the end of the 7th, but I didn't want to be riding my bike home during the 8th and 9th :smile:

WikdChiSoxFan
10-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Puffers!!!!!

Heck, I Got Interviewed After The Game!!!!

Sweep!!!

RowanDye
10-08-2005, 01:11 PM
I was at the The Airliner in Iowa City drinking $2.00 Black and Tans, sitting in front of a 32 in Samsung flat screen, watching the game in high-definition. I couldn't have asked for a better situation...Priceless

FarWestChicago
10-08-2005, 01:14 PM
The Faultline Brewery in Sunnyvale, CA. It was a going away party for my boss. The Sox game was on the TV's in the bar. I was driving there when Marte was loading the bases. I got inside just as El Duque began his masterpiece. :cool:

mdep524
10-08-2005, 01:19 PM
Unfortunately I work nights, so I was at work paying half-attention to customers watching the game. It's hard for me to take nights off, but I really, really want to hang out at some of these bars with you guys to watch a game!

SoxFan76
10-08-2005, 01:31 PM
You might of seen my thread where I said I went to Six Flags. Well I did, but my buddy brought a radio. We were listening the whole time giving updates to people around us. When the final out was made we went nuts and started yelling "Sox Win!" and "That's a White Sox winner!" and stuff like that. We had everyone around us cheering and clapping, it was pretty incredible.

Also, lots of Sox fans at Six Flags last night. That was nice to see.

oeo
10-08-2005, 01:50 PM
At a wedding reception and went out to my cousin's husband's car to listen to the ninth inning. There was actually a guy right next to us doing the same, as well as others in the parking lot. Wish I could have saw it, but I'm glad I at least got to hear it.

PicktoCLick72
10-08-2005, 05:25 PM
At the frat house screaming my lungs out. I called my dad and we just went crazy.

Frankfan4life
10-08-2005, 05:58 PM
I was at work when the Sox swept the BoSox and clinched the ALCS. My boss is a nice guy but he loves to work and I have to stay as long as he's there. He did turn the game on in his office and I was able to watch the last few innings, but it's nothing like watching with a group of people or even at home where you can really whoop it up.

Nevertheless, I was happy because the Sox won!

FARMEO
10-08-2005, 06:03 PM
At home. It is hard to really watch a game at a bar and I get to listen to John and Ed.

rozic43
10-08-2005, 08:18 PM
Standing in my livingroom in Los Angeles. I called my 85 year old Dad in Chicago who has been waiting his entire life for a White Sox championsip. He was born in 1920 and he grew up in Lawn Manor. His most prized possession is his program from the '59 Series.

krohnjw
10-08-2005, 08:38 PM
BW3's surrounded by Red Sox fans. We had 1 :dtroll: who felt the need to talk to us about how this was the "Must win for the sox, if the red sox win the series is over" and how "nervous we must be as the red sox mounted their *comeback*". It was great to see them quite down (and they were even quite gracious).

GeauxSox
10-08-2005, 09:29 PM
Laying on the bed listening to John and Ed on MLB.com on the cell phone, and following on ESPN gamecast on the notebook. Cable has been out since Katrina. Afterwards for some reason I tried the TV and wouldn't you know, cable was back on. I could have watched the game! Oh well, John and Ed are better over a scratchy stream on a phone than Berman anyway. I'm also a Saints fan. Being a Sox fan for 42 years prepared me very well.

:dinger

Soxzilla
10-08-2005, 10:36 PM
At Monk's with a bunch of the other WSIers. It was an absolute blast and the atmosphere was just amazing. High-fiving Cheeses, Spiffie, Soxofwhite, Southside Hitmen, Kittle and Goose as the last out was recording is something I will remember for quite some time!

Also, walking back to Union station high fiving other random Sox fans and traffic cops was equally as memorable. A couple of girls were also singing Na Na Na Na as I entered the train station... just electric!

chisoxfanatic
10-08-2005, 10:38 PM
I was in my front room with my boyfriend watching the game. I was in tears as our boyz recorded the final out and began celebrating.

We went to the Blackhawks' game right afterwards.

mike squires
10-08-2005, 10:41 PM
I was in my front room with my boyfriend watching the game. I was in tears as our boyz recorded the final out and began celebrating.

We went to the Blackhawks' game right afterwards.

Blackhawks after the clincher. You'd think you would do something good to celebrate!:tongue: I went outside and let out a huge Woooooooooooo!!! Then I went to the store and got me a bottle of something to drink and had about 2 coffee mugs full of it and enjoyed relaxing at home with the fam. Talked to my brother and dad about the great game.

chisoxfanatic
10-08-2005, 10:47 PM
Blackhawks after the clincher. You'd think you would do something good to celebrate!:tongue: I went outside and let out a huge Woooooooooooo!!! Then I went to the store and got me a bottle of something to drink and had about 2 coffee mugs full of it and enjoyed relaxing at home with the fam. Talked to my brother and dad about the great game.

I was with my boyfriend, who's a die-hard Red Sox fan. I didn't feel like rubbing it in too much...He's a class-act and the greatest guy I know. That and we planned on going to this Hawks' game over a month ago.

TheDarkGundam
10-08-2005, 10:48 PM
Where was I?! Sad story:whiner:
I was watching until ozzie put marte in in the 6th, i couldn't take it. Then my cousin came over, I had to baby-sit him. He, of course, doesn't care about baseball so i had to play soul calibur 2 with him. Fortunately, i kept the WSI chatroom on and knew what was going on. I just caught the end of the game, and the celebration (buehrle (sp?) coming out and chasing ozzie with the champagne was one of the funniest moments of the year btw)

Andy T Clown
10-08-2005, 11:01 PM
SkyRide on VanBueren........where's Monks?:gulp:

Soxzilla
10-08-2005, 11:17 PM
SkyRide on VanBueren........where's Monks?:gulp:

Right on the corner of Lake and Wells under the El tracks.

soxfanreggie
10-08-2005, 11:31 PM
At work crowded around a tv with like 10 other guys (including a few Red Sox diehards) then off to a college v-ball game.

Konerkoholic
10-08-2005, 11:55 PM
Minutes after the win, I went down to my local pizza place and ordered an Italian Beef sandwich. While waiting for it to be made, this Mr. tough guy type comes in and asks the old man behind the counter if "his Sox won today." The old Sox fan smiled and nodded his head. The tough guy then said real loudly "SOX SUCK. I'M A CUUUBS FAN." He then sat down and nodded his head assuredly to himself and actually repeated the words "I'm a Cubs fan." I got my sandwich and just laughed to myself, thinking, "Wow, man. That's real pathetic. I'm gonna thank God every day that I don't know you." But there was no need to say it. The guy clearly knew how sad he was.

soxylady
10-09-2005, 08:27 AM
I Was At Fenway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Baby Fisk
10-09-2005, 03:51 PM
At Monk's with a bunch of the other WSIers. It was an absolute blast and the atmosphere was just amazing. High-fiving Cheeses, Spiffie, Soxofwhite, Southside Hitmen, Kittle and Goose as the last out was recording is something I will remember for quite some time!

Also, walking back to Union station high fiving other random Sox fans and traffic cops was equally as memorable. A couple of girls were also singing Na Na Na Na as I entered the train station... just electric!
I was part of the Monk's mob too. Dammit, Zilla, did we get introduced or not? Which one were you? I lost track after meeting my approx. 15th WSIer...

mike squires
10-09-2005, 03:55 PM
I was with my boyfriend, who's a die-hard Red Sox fan. I didn't feel like rubbing it in too much...He's a class-act and the greatest guy I know. That and we planned on going to this Hawks' game over a month ago.

I'm just teasing you. I'm not a huge fan of hockey...but i've been to a few semi-pro in Inday and really enjoyed myself. I'm sure you had a good time...:D:

jhill36
10-09-2005, 04:02 PM
I was in front of the television in San Antonio where I have lived for 5 years. I was running back and forth btwn the TV and the computer (in another room) because I had the chat up and I wanted to share the last out with you all.

I hate the fact i cant be in my hometown of the Chi right now!

TDog
10-09-2005, 04:27 PM
I was working on my computer at my desk at work overlooking the blue waters of the Gastineau Channel at high tide when I checked the score of the game to see the right Sox had won. It was raining, as it always seems to be, but the sun was shining brightly through a break in the clouds.

samram
10-09-2005, 04:41 PM
I raced out of work here as the top of the ninth started. Luckily, the hotel I've been living at for two months is only two minutes away and I got there just in time to see the last two outs- the only two I saw for the entire series.

SweetnesSox
10-09-2005, 05:35 PM
I was at home. Did anyone else's phone explode with like 10 calls as soon as the last out was recorded?

Soxzilla
10-09-2005, 11:08 PM
I was part of the Monk's mob too. Dammit, Zilla, did we get introduced or not? Which one were you? I lost track after meeting my approx. 15th WSIer...

Hahaha yes we did get introduced. I was the young fella with the Blue illini cap on, sitting across from Cheeses.

ChiSoxRowand
10-10-2005, 12:30 AM
I was at work. I started at six so I figured I had a chance of seeing the whole thing, until the 58 minute sixth inning. I saw El Duque get the three outs in the sixth though.

Deuce
10-10-2005, 08:34 AM
I was sitting in the E-Club at Fort McCoy, Wisconsin. The place was relatively empty, except for myself and a table full of Marines cheering on the White Sox. When the game was over, the place broke out in cheers.

Deuce

chopperjc
10-10-2005, 09:39 AM
I started the game at work. My only link was the WSI chat room. Left work about 4:45 (eastern time) listened to the Red Sox announcers on XW and I heard us score the first two runs. Made it home and watched Ortiz and Manny go back to back. I was thinking at this point going back to the truck and put the radio back on. I have been upset before at the Sox but when Marte came in I was becomming suicidel. My 6 year old thinks I am crazy. I received 10 calls after the last out from various Red Sox fans and even a few Cubbie fans congratulating me. I enjoyed the company on the chat room since (and I am convinced of this) I am the only Sox fan in S. Florida. I thank all of the posters on the site for bringing me fellow fans to share the victory and to get a flavor of the city. As a side note although a big sports fan I was really unable to watch much of anything over the weekend. Every football game I turned on or even the balance of the baseball playoffs was just such a step down I could not get into it at all. Let the fun continue!

GoSoxGo
10-10-2005, 10:03 AM
Watching the end of the game at the United Center before the Blackhawks-Sharks game. The UC had the game up on the scoreboard and hallway monitors before switching to pregame stuff. They did have post-game Sox coverage on in the eating areas though. Of course, my section would have to have a bunch of yahoos start chanting "SOX SUCK" several times during the 3rd period. No matter where you go, there THEY are!!!

GO SOX!!!!!!

ode to veeck
10-10-2005, 10:41 AM
I was stuck in traffic in Dublin, CA, trying to get to a friend's wedding rehearsal at Dublin Ranch CC, where I was doing video and photography the following day.

I had stayed at home watching the game much longer than I should have to try to get from the SF peninsula to the east bay, especially late on a Friday afternoon, but I had stayed just until Paulie hit the two run dinger to give them a lead.

En route to Dublin, I took an alternate route over the Dumbarton Bridge to 880/Dublin grade to avoid the Friday 680/Sunol grade backup. It took me a while to find the game with intermittent reception on the upper end of the AM band on an obscure ESPN radio station. In the meantime, my wife called me with the updates during the bottom half of the 6th inning. The silence from Mrs. Ode in the at key points in the "phonecast", like right after the delayed call on Damen's third strike, was torturous.

Listening finally to the radio during the 7th and 8th, I was hoping to get to the country club in time to see the end of the game on the TV in the bar, but I hit the traffic backup at the bottom of the Dublin grade approaching the 580/680 intersection and the weekly "return to central valley" Friday afternoon westbound 580 parking lot through Livermore.

I ended up hearing the last of the game stuck in local traffic cutting across town in Dublin. Other drivers were looking as I was yelling and rocking my van as the Jenks machine mowed down the Boston 9th. ESPN radio stayed on after the win long enough to do interviews with AJ and then Ozzie.

AJ commented on El Duque being the only guy with the huevos to throw sliders on 3-2 counts to consecutive batters with the bags loaded in the ALCS, as AJ said he'd never call for it from behind the plate. Obviously, that was the meat of the discussion on his mound visits there in the 6th.

Ozzie's ESPN radio interview was different from the TV version; he ended one of his streaming responses with "God wants the White Sox to win it!" or something similar. In the meantime, my cell phone was going crazy as family and freinds Sox fans were calling in to talk about the game. The ESPN radio team ended with a brief discussion on "how can you not pick the Sox as favorites in the ALCS, no matter which team they face", before rolling over to the Anaheim coverage.

Fortunately, I have the DirectTV HD Tivo of the game and since Friday I have not only watched the parts I missed, but I think I've watched the 6th inning at least 3 times by itself, which last night beat the heck out of bothering to watch the Bears game I missed Sunday morning.

DoubleO
10-10-2005, 11:03 AM
In the car, stuck in traffic on 88. Thank god for the ed and john.

rdwj
10-10-2005, 11:10 AM
Sitting in my living room with my wife, kids and a couple of friends.

Uncle_Patrick
10-10-2005, 11:40 AM
Camping in WI, just outside the Dells. Unfortunately, I could not pull in ESPN 1000 clearly up there and was stuck listening to the national ESPN feed on ESPN 1070 from Madison.

ferdinandshen
10-10-2005, 04:51 PM
In the car, stuck in traffic on 88. Thank god for the ed and john.

Man, Ed Farmer and John Rooney. Their voice at the "seven days of glory" at 2000 is the sweetest memory at Chicago besides a beautifully snowy afternoon on 57th street with my then-girlfriend (now she's my beloved wife).

FYI, El Duque was totally shelled by Frank and co. during a game in the famous 2000 7-day roadtrip. I remember he was KO'd by Jose Valentin's grand slam. Thank god he does not need to face us again.

fuzzy_patters
10-10-2005, 04:58 PM
I was home and watching the game on ESPN. Berman was absolutely brutal, as I am sure you all have heard. I muted the TV and listened to the call of the final out by John Rooney. It was the one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard, and I was nearly brought to tears. Does that make me a girly man, Franz? Anyway, I love this team, and I feel like we are being repaid for 1994. Thank you, Ozzie.

TheBull
10-10-2005, 06:23 PM
The wife and I caught the game at Vito and Nicks (84th & Pulaski) with my uncle. I think it was the first time I have ever seen Frank the bartender smile.

LongLiveFisk
10-10-2005, 06:33 PM
:tomatoaward

When this thread began, the question pertained to the Sox winning the division...now I guess it pertains to the Sox beating the Red Sox...I was either at work or on my way home from work...not exactly ideal places to be for a clincher, but it is what it is :smile:

RedFoxSoxFan
10-10-2005, 08:48 PM
hey just got back from being at my college alumni weekend. I drove down early friday so i could get to the local tavern and watch the game. The bar was filled to past maximum capacity with yankee fans rooting against the redsox. Marist College is only an hour north of NYC. Very strange baseball atmosphere though, me the only geniue chisox fan wearing my kenny williams jersey and a bunch of yankee jerseys rooting for the whitesox. When Jenks got the final out the bar went nuts. People started chanting "F- the Red Sox" All in All it was great to get drunk with a bunch of temporary sox supporters and watch the whitesox win.

maurice
10-11-2005, 03:20 PM
I was boarding an airplane as Marte loaded the bases with no outs for Duque.
:angry:

When I got off the plane, several random Yankees fans saw my Sox hat, ran up to me, and gladly informed me that Boston choked and the Sox completed the sweep.
:gulp:

Hangar18
10-11-2005, 03:28 PM
I drove thru awful Traffic on I-55, and whooped it up at MONKS with a few other WSI'ers

Iwritecode
10-11-2005, 03:38 PM
When they clinched the division I was sitting right here at my desk at work following the game on mlb gameday. I remember feeling relieved that I could go on my camping trip that weekend not caring whether the Sox won another game. Then of course they swept Cleveland.

For game three of the ALDS I was again sitting at my desk when the game started. I left to head home about the same time Marte was put into the game. By the time I got to my car the bases were loaded and El Duque was being brought in. It took me a minute to finally realize the situation and every time Rooney said "here's the pitch" I froze. I got home just in time to walk into my living room and watch the ninth inning (while pacing around the room).

When the last out was made I let out a yell and even got a little misty-eyed realizing I was watching history being made.