PDA

View Full Version : Game 1 starter

Hokiesox
10-07-2005, 08:59 PM
So, looking ahead. Who starts game 1? I think Garland should, we need him to stay fresh.

boiker
10-07-2005, 09:00 PM
So, looking ahead. Who starts game 1? I think Garland should, we need him to stay fresh.

Oz has time to set the rotation.. Jose has been unstoppable.. I want to start him again.. but fear what the long rest would do to JGar

JB98
10-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Contreras.

Garland in Game 2.

MRKARNO
10-07-2005, 09:02 PM

:contreras:

"I didn't fail you in Game 1 of the ALDS. I won't fail you in game 1 of the ALCS"

gobears1987
Ozzie said Garland a few days ago.

The Racehorse
Gotta go with who's hot right now; Jose Contreras.

Hokiesox
10-07-2005, 09:14 PM
But, if Garland starts game 1, and jose game 2, wouldn't that set up Jose for game 7 (though I hope there won't be a game 7)?

The Dude
10-07-2005, 09:16 PM
contreras! Garland game 4

EDIT: I LOVE HAVING THIS PROBLEM!!!!!

antitwins13
10-07-2005, 10:14 PM
didn't I already make this thread?
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59210
Contreras game 1 Garland game 2

SoxFan64
10-07-2005, 10:14 PM
As was mentioned earlier, Ozzie has already said Garland. Besides I like the way the rotation would set up.

Game 1 (Home) Garland
Game 2 (Home) Contreras
Game 3 (Away) Buehrle
Game 4 (Away) Garcia
Game 5 (Away) Garland
Game 6 (Home) Contreras
Game 7 (Home) Buehrle

I like that Contreras and Buerhle get games 6 & 7 (if needed).

I like that Garcia gets an away start. And Garland gets to start at home (to begin) if Garland struggles in Game 1 then we could substitute BMac in Game 5.

So that's my rotation and I am sticking to it. :D:

gf2020
10-09-2005, 12:46 AM
I agree with Soxfan64. I think Game one might be the easiest game for the White Sox in this series (not that any ALCS game is easy) with the Angels/Yankees hopefully having to play a game five and travel very late to get to Chicago. We might as well throw what is our weakest starting pitcher out there and see if we can get a win.

If Jose starts game one and we lose, can you imagine the pressure on Jon if he were the game two starter? Suddenly, it becomes a must win game for a guy who hasn't pitched in more than 10 or 11 days. (I'm also against holding him for game 4 for similiar reasons, you can't expect him to be sharp after 14 days between starts.)

Also, if Jon pulls a Clement (I doubt it), we know what we have and can adjust to use El Duque or McCarthy in Game 5

So I like a rotation of Jon, Jose, Mark and Freddie for this next series. I understand the urgency and wanting to start with Jose given the win streak and momentum, but Jon earned the chance to start and we might as well put him and the team in the best posisition to succeed in a seven game series.

Soxzilla
10-09-2005, 01:10 AM
I wasn't opposed to Garland starting game 1, until I looked at his splits versus the Angel this year. He has done fairly poorly against their lineup. On the other hand, Contreras, Buehrle and Garcia have thrown the ball extremely well against the Angels.

I say you have to go with Contreras and Buehrle for games 1 and 2.

Go for the juggular.

HotelWhiteSox
10-09-2005, 01:17 AM
It's Garland, but who cares either way? They're both going to pitch, unless it's Anaheim and they start Colon game 1 (not likely if there's a game 5), then I don't see with having Contreras shut them down Wed

nodiggity59
10-09-2005, 01:20 AM
Our starters won't be going on 3 days rest this postseason. So, Garland has to start. If he starts in game 4, that may be tantamount to forfeit b/c of the incredible layoff. As was mentioned, Game 1 may be the easiest start b/c it's at home and the otehr teams will ahve used their aces in the ALDS. The only problem w/ this is that means Garland would start 2 times, or his turn would come up twice. Then again, I'm not sure we want Freddy going twice either.

I just hate the idea of a 2 week layoff. Plus, I love having Jose and Mark to end it at the Cell.

All in all I'm glad I don't have to make this call :redface:

Ekwall
10-09-2005, 01:21 AM
As long as Contreras and Buehrle are set up to get two starts (so they'd be two of your first three), I'd be fine with anything. I'd much rather be debating this then Chacon vs. Wang in any case.

slobes
10-09-2005, 01:22 AM
I'm pretty sure that today in the Tribune Ozzie said it was definitely Garland. He said that Garland's worked his butt off all year, and it wouldn't be fair to keep bumping him farther and farther back, when throughout the season he proved that he could pitch in big pressure situations. Give him a chance.

Banix12
10-09-2005, 01:29 AM
I think if it's the Angels I don't have a problem with Jon going #1. However if it is the Yankees I want to go Contreras game 1. Just because the Yankees have absolutely not touched him in his two starts this season. I believe his ERA is 0.60 against the Yanks and by pitching game #1 it probably guarantees him 2 starts unless there is a sweep. Even in an Angels series I might go contreras #1 just because he's the hot hand and you want him pitching at least twice.

Buehrle game 2 regardless of who starts #1, he's always at his best pitching at home and by pitching game 2 it sets him up for 2 starts at the Cell.

If Contreras goes #1, I probably pitch Jon game 3 and let Garcia go 4. I know it's been a big layoff for Jon but that's just how it works.

NWSox
10-09-2005, 01:29 AM
I'm pretty sure that today in the Tribune Ozzie said it was definitely Garland.

Actually this article (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051007soxbits,1,3478314.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines) says Ozzie is undecided. A few days ago, Ozzie said he would pitch Garland on the assumption that the ALDS would take longer. But now that he knows he can line up his rotation again, I think he is taking another look.

goodsy72
10-09-2005, 01:40 AM
Ozzie could just be saying he's going to start Garland for John's benefit, he's that kind of manager, respectful of his players when they are deserving. Jose has got to start game 1. It's the post season the rotation means nothing. Yes, John has earned a spot, but you have to try to get off on a good start, and that's why I'd start Jose. His stuff is absolutely fifthly right now, best pitcher in the league. How pumped would he be to start the ALCS against his old pal the Yanks. John has turned a corner but I don't think he's ready for game 1 of the ALCS.

Vince
10-09-2005, 02:10 AM
I think you gotta go with Contreras and Buehrle as #1 and #2. Contreras was lights out in game 1, and once Buehrle got over his 1st posteason start nerves through the first 3 innings, he retired the next 13 of 14 batters or something?

Garland's great and definitely a big reason why we are in the ALCS, but you gotta go with the hot hand and that's Contreras. I don't see 13 days rest affecting Garland anymore than 9 days probably already has.

johnny bench
10-09-2005, 07:43 AM
Ozzie ain't losing sleep over this one. 3 man rotation is the only way forward:

Contreras: games 1,4 and 7
Buerhle: 2 and 5
Garcia 3 and 6.

If we win ALCS in 6, Contreras starts WS game 1.

Garland goes to the bullpen.

Screw being fair to the players who got us here. Its the flipping playoffs.
You know the old story about not getting beat with your second best pitch? In the playoffs it applies to pitchers as well.

If Garland gets to start more than 1 game in the next two series, I'll be shocked.

Parrothead
10-09-2005, 07:51 AM
:contreras:

"I didn't fail you in Game 1 of the ALDS. I won't fail you in game 1 of the ALCS"

Contreras: games 1,4 and 7
Buerhle: 2 and 5
Garcia 3 and 6.

If we win ALCS in 6, Contreras starts WS game 1.

Garland goes to the bullpen.

Screw being fair to the players who got us here. Its the flipping playoffs.
You know the old story about not getting beat with your second best pitch? In the playoffs it applies to pitchers as well.

Agreed!

PaleHoseGeorge
10-09-2005, 10:06 AM
I don't think Ozzie has to make up his mind until Monday at the earliest. I know he wants to get Garland a quick start, but pitching Game 2 works as well as Game 1 for that purpose. Ozzie doesn't even know who the opponent is yet, forget about pitching match-ups. Get a clue!
:o:

Ozzie is a ****ing idiot if he starts anyone besides Contreras in Game 1. He is -- by far -- the hottest pitcher on the staff right now and needs to be as fresh as possible for Game 7 if needed. It should also be noted that travel dates in the playoffs make all sorts of possibilities available to both managers, not just Ozzie. All the pitchers should be available on any given date when the entire season is on the line. NONE of our pitchers will have pitched in four days by next Tuesday for Game 1 of the ALCS! This is a GOOD problem to have!
:?:

It would be the supreme act of stupidity for Ozzie to hold back his best players just to be fair to the rest of the team. I don't have to tell you who's idiotic thinking that would smack of.
:o:

:jerry
"I'm holding back Buehrle for tomorrow's game in Detroit. That team plays us tough."

Konerkoholic
10-09-2005, 12:35 PM
I don't see the problem with starting Garland in Game 1. What's the harm in it? If he wins, Jose's on the mound with the possibility to go up 2-0. If he loses, Jose's on the mound with the possibility to even the series. Game 2 is a very important game, maybe more so than Game 1.

Ol' No. 2
10-09-2005, 12:48 PM
Contreras has to start games 1 and 5. Buehrle game 2 and 6. This is a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned. After that, I'd go Garland and then Garcia. Remember the game 3 starter would be in line to pitch game 7 at home. I'd rather have Garland than Garcia in that role.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-09-2005, 12:54 PM
Contreras has to start games 1 and 5. Buehrle game 2 and 6. This is a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned. After that, I'd go Garland and then Garcia. Remember the game 3 starter would be in line to pitch game 7 at home. I'd rather have Garland than Garcia in that role.

I completely agree. However I know others here have a hard time comprehending your point.
:cool:

:jerry
"See we already won the series in Boston, so I'm saving Contreras for Game 2. I'm also starting Cotts in Game 3. He's from around Anaheim. And Dye has really looked good hitting #3. Imagine what he could do if I slotted him #8. The other team won't be expecting it, that's for sure!"

:versatile
"Be still my heart!"

CYGarland20
10-09-2005, 02:21 PM
If it's the Yankees I'd go...Contreras, Garland, Buehrle, Garcia. If it's the Angels I'd go Contreras, Buehrle, Garcia, Garland....... Either way, JC should start game 1 no matter what, and if he doesn't, Oz is nuts. :o: Of course, we all know he is anyways :tongue:

slobes
10-09-2005, 02:32 PM
On the Score this morning, they said Contreras game 1, Buehrle game 2, Garland 3, and Garcia 4.

Garland is pitching a simulated game today to stay sharp.