PDA

View Full Version : Ramirez + Sosa?!

Red Barchetta
10-07-2005, 08:47 PM
How about that ***-clown taking off his batting gloves while still in the box admiring his home run! :angry:

I hope you enjoy the replay during the off-season. You looked so good doing it! :tongue:

MushMouth
10-07-2005, 08:49 PM
How about that ***-clown taking off his batting gloves while still in the box admiring his home run! :angry:

I hope you enjoy the replay during the off-season. You looked so good doing it! :tongue:

yeah, typical manny - glad we put them down!

Don't like anything about that team or their fans.

fquaye149
10-07-2005, 10:28 PM
zzz...last I checked - that assclown had 2 HR off us today. If anyone had been on base for him we probably would be playing game 4.

But yeah, hate away at the best RH hitter in baseball. Go ahead.

soltrain21
10-07-2005, 10:31 PM
zzz...last I checked - that assclown had 2 HR off us today. If anyone had been on base for him we probably would be playing game 4.

I wasn't aware being a good hitter had anything to do with being a complete *******.

wdelaney72
10-07-2005, 10:32 PM

Agreed, but he and his teammates are headed to a warm-weathered golf course while a different TEAM is going to the ALCS.

MRKARNO
10-07-2005, 10:42 PM
Horacio Ramirez? Jorge Sosa? What about the Braves? :D:

fquaye149
10-07-2005, 10:49 PM
I wasn't aware being a good hitter had anything to do with being a complete *******.

I'm sorry - is this a miss congeniality competition at the **********ing miss america pageant?

Or is it a contest in which grown men compete to see who can out score the other team?

Manny is doing his job. Let A-Rod complain about comportment. We conduct ourselves with dignity and class and I'm glad about that. But I'm not about to criticize the best RH hitter in the game for whatever he decides to do after hitting the game tying home run in an elimination game.

This is baseball. Babe Ruth is a hero for CALLING HIS ****ING SHOT. Showing up a pitcher in the worst way possible.

Are we not men? Are we not allowed to be *******s in a touch football game when we score the go ahead touchdown?

HotelWhiteSox
10-07-2005, 10:55 PM
Oh, you can do it, but I blame the opposing pitchers who don't buzz one in his ear in his next at bat.
I was praying that we would blow it open just so we could nail him. He did it in the game vs NY as well, the way he stares at it is so obnoxious

Red Barchetta
10-07-2005, 11:39 PM

I don't give a crap what his stats are. It's the idea of showing up the other team, pitcher etc. With the exception of the NHL, most pro sports encourage this type of me-first attitude. If they pulled this crap in hockey they would be spitting teeth out.

There was another RH hitter who played on the other side of town and had great stats. I'd love to have a few more of those guys!

TheArmyOfNeems
10-07-2005, 11:58 PM
i hate manny

fquaye149
10-08-2005, 01:49 AM
I don't give a crap what his stats are. It's the idea of showing up the other team, pitcher etc. With the exception of the NHL, most pro sports encourage this type of me-first attitude. If they pulled this crap in hockey they would be spitting teeth out.

There was another RH hitter who played on the other side of town and had great stats. I'd love to have a few more of those guys!

If we can get him out we will show him up better than anything he could do with his batting glove straps.

But yeah...take your anger out on Manny's batting glove treatment. Or you could admit that what you're really mad about is Garcia giving up a homerun.

That's what pissed me off.

fquaye149
10-08-2005, 01:50 AM

If Sosa could have kept putting up .300/50/100+ it would have been just fine. ****, I would have taken that. Plus Manny doesn't even beat his wife. Notice how it wasn't till Sammy stopped taking steroids and his #'s went down that his behavior became an issue

Nellie_Fox
10-08-2005, 02:26 AM
Are we not men? We are DEVO.

Red Barchetta
10-08-2005, 01:08 PM
If we can get him out we will show him up better than anything he could do with his batting glove straps.

But yeah...take your anger out on Manny's batting glove treatment. Or you could admit that what you're really mad about is Garcia giving up a homerun.

That's what pissed me off.

I don't think so. If Tony Graff would have hit a home run in the same exact situation and simply lowered his head and ran the bases, I wouldn't be that upset. Baseball drama is baseball drama. That's fine. It's the attitude of a few, very few, players that draws this out in me.

I know in the grand scheme of things this is petty crap. However, as I'm passing on the game to my 6-year old son and he even noticed Ramirez didn't run after hitting the ball, I guess I just need to teach him "The Superstar Walk" and that it's OK to show up the other player and team.

As to the comparison to Babe Ruth's debated called shot. The poster is absolutely right. The pitcher should have knocked him down his next at bat.

With all the steroids and body armour the hitters have used over the past 10 years combined with the 9" X 11" strike zone, the only thing the pitchers can do is watch....

Ramirez made a great play, hitting the ball to the opposite field the way he did, however it's his own admiration of himself that comes of cold. I hope he stays in Boston.

Ol' No. 2
10-08-2005, 01:39 PM
I'm sorry - is this a miss congeniality competition at the **********ing miss america pageant?

Or is it a contest in which grown men compete to see who can out score the other team?

Manny is doing his job. Let A-Rod complain about comportment. We conduct ourselves with dignity and class and I'm glad about that. But I'm not about to criticize the best RH hitter in the game for whatever he decides to do after hitting the game tying home run in an elimination game.

This is baseball. Babe Ruth is a hero for CALLING HIS ****ING SHOT. Showing up a pitcher in the worst way possible.

Are we not men? Are we not allowed to be *******s in a touch football game when we score the go ahead touchdown?GMAB. Manny Ramirez can't carry Babe Ruth's jock.

fquaye149
10-08-2005, 08:00 PM
:rolleyes:GMAB. Manny Ramirez can't carry Babe Ruth's jock.

Sure he can. He can carry his jock.

Clearly he doesn't compare to Ruth as a hitter, but no one in baseball does besides Williams, Rajah, Cobb, Musial, and Bonds.

So?

Manny easily ranks among the top 30 right handed hitters of all time and might be worth considering for the top 50 hitters of all time.

Manny WILL make the hall of fame, and he won't be one of those get-me-over picks. Look at his numbers. He almost compares to Frank Thomas in Frank's prime. That puts him in Jimmie Foxx territory and that's something.

So what if he is not Ruth's equal? The point is many great players were *******s. Ruth showboated, ALLEGEDLY. He was either calling his shot or flipping off the Cubs. I'd putt my money on flipping off the Cubs. Carl Everett made the wanking motion when he got hit last night. Good. We're not running for class president. We're trying to win games. Therefore I'd take Ty Cobb in a heartbeat, Ted Williams. This is baseball, not golf.

As O'Hara said, "this country has everything but politesse" and damn, I wouldn't 'have it any other way.

fquaye149
10-08-2005, 08:07 PM
I don't think so. If Tony Graff would have hit a home run in the same exact situation and simply lowered his head and ran the bases, I wouldn't be that upset. Baseball drama is baseball drama. That's fine. It's the attitude of a few, very few, players that draws this out in me.

I know in the grand scheme of things this is petty crap. However, as I'm passing on the game to my 6-year old son and he even noticed Ramirez didn't run after hitting the ball, I guess I just need to teach him "The Superstar Walk" and that it's OK to show up the other player and team.

As to the comparison to Babe Ruth's debated called shot. The poster is absolutely right. The pitcher should have knocked him down his next at bat.

With all the steroids and body armour the hitters have used over the past 10 years combined with the 9" X 11" strike zone, the only thing the pitchers can do is watch....

Ramirez made a great play, hitting the ball to the opposite field the way he did, however it's his own admiration of himself that comes of cold. I hope he stays in Boston.

It's not OK to show up the other player and the team. But the fact is we could hit him if we wanted to. Hell, I wish we'd put him on base intentionally every time he came up. IT sure wouldn't have hurt us. But we didn't...so obviously Ozzie wasn't as mad as you.

AJ stepped on Aaron Boone. Weren't we all laughing about that? I was.

This is baseball. These people are jacked up on adrenaline and they are fired up. That home run was HUGE. Period. That was clutch. I'm mad he did his glove thing and I'm mad he hit it. But I understand it

Manny is an anti-hero, a la the punisher. I'd love to have him on our team.

But first things first: let's do this dancing now with our sweethearts. We shoved it down Manny's throat, celebrated on their field, and we're complaining about him adjusting his batting gloves? Ok...:rolleyes:

SOXPHILE
10-10-2005, 12:24 PM
Can you imagine if he did all that posing after hitting one off of Bob Gibson or Don Drysdale ? His next time up, they would have thrown one right at his head. And if he came up a third time after that, they would do it again too.

Palehose13
10-10-2005, 12:54 PM
I guess no one has a problem with the way AJ flipped his bat in game 1. :rolleyes:

We won. Win with class.

cbrownson13
10-10-2005, 01:21 PM
There are so many hypocritical people. Manny can't celebrate the way he wants to for hitting a big homerun, but everyone raves about how awesome Tadahito's bat flip is when he jacks one. Or how awesome it was when Pierzynski flipped his bat. Sure, Ramirez may be an ass, and the whole "Manny being Manny" thing is rediculous, but he is a hell of a hitter and no one here should praise our players for showboating and bash another for doing the same thing.

Nellie_Fox
10-10-2005, 02:14 PM
There are so many hypocritical people. Manny can't celebrate the way he wants to for hitting a big homerun, but everyone raves about how awesome Tadahito's bat flip is when he jacks one. Or how awesome it was when Pierzynski flipped his bat. Before accusing people of being hypocritical, make sure that they are the same people who rave about bat flips.

I don't like any showboating after hitting homeruns, including bat flipping, including Sox bat flipping. However, standing at home plate admiring your shot is a step beyond bat flipping, and standing there admiring it while removing your batting gloves is yet another step into being a complete jackass.

fquaye149
10-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Can you imagine if he did all that posing after hitting one off of Bob Gibson or Don Drysdale ? His next time up, they would have thrown one right at his head. And if he came up a third time after that, they would do it again too.

Yup that Freddy Garcia is such a wussy....

Face it feller - the game has changed.

Flight #24
10-10-2005, 02:42 PM
Before accusing people of being hypocritical, make sure that they are the same people who rave about bat flips.

I don't like any showboating after hitting homeruns, including bat flipping, including Sox bat flipping. However, standing at home plate admiring your shot is a step beyond bat flipping, and standing there admiring it while removing your batting gloves is yet another step into being a complete jackass.

Given the choice between the guy who watches one of 40 HR while removing his batting gloves and the guy who only hits 15, but runs hard & head down for each one......well, I'll rail at the former's attitude all day long, but still pick him for my team.

PennStater98r
10-10-2005, 02:50 PM

Last time I checked, I think that was BABE RUTH calling the shot - which is a league beyond Manny - and the Babe called the shot - which is a heck of a lot more legendary than peeling off your gloves before running the bases - Big deal. You hit a homerun - not even close to calling the shot in the annuls of sports. It's just childish and selfish really.

You also mentioned in your quotation that they're adults competing. There's something to be said in how you attain your success or how you handle yourself when you are successful. For the most part, those that defend the types of players like Manny when he does something Bonds-like have as much class as William Ligue. But then again, there's no need to mention that. After all, when I've made nearly 3500 posts, maybe I can asterisks out my curse words too and people might defend me or think me classy. I can't wait until I achieve that kind of respect.

fquaye149
10-10-2005, 04:50 PM
Last time I checked, I think that was BABE RUTH calling the shot - which is a league beyond Manny - and the Babe called the shot - which is a heck of a lot more legendary than peeling off your gloves before running the bases - Big deal. You hit a homerun - not even close to calling the shot in the annuls of sports. It's just childish and selfish really.

You also mentioned in your quotation that they're adults competing. There's something to be said in how you attain your success or how you handle yourself when you are successful. For the most part, those that defend the types of players like Manny when he does something Bonds-like have as much class as William Ligue. But then again, there's no need to mention that. After all, when I've made nearly 3500 posts, maybe I can asterisks out my curse words too and people might defend me or think me classy. I can't wait until I achieve that kind of respect.

So wait - Babe Ruth can do it because he's the best ever?

But Manny can't do it even though he's pretty much the best at what he does right now?

You realize you're just proving my point. We make Ruth a hero for showing up a ballclub (he didn't really call his shot, just flipped off the Cubs, by many accounts), but since we don't like Manny, when he hit a HUGE home run he was a jackass for taking off his gloves.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we don't really do that kind of stuff, but it's pretty presumptious to tell one of the greatest hitters in the game today what he can or can't do. Notice how no one really gets pissed at Sosa when he does his little skip because he only hit like 15 home runs this year...seems to show what they were really mad about was the home runs and not the shimmying.

"Parkman doing his little shimmy...it makes the women here in Cleveland PUKE."

Oh and Ligue? You might not want to compare people who didn't attack any innocent people to people who did attack an innocent person. Hyperbole is a lot of fun to play around with but it kind of makes you look like a moron when you start to use it to take yourself too seriously.

PS - I'm not really clear what asterisks have to do with anything, nor my post count, nor the respect you do or do not have.

PennStater98r
10-10-2005, 05:47 PM
So wait - Babe Ruth can do it because he's the best ever?

But Manny can't do it even though he's pretty much the best at what he does right now?

You realize you're just proving my point. We make Ruth a hero for showing up a ballclub (he didn't really call his shot, just flipped off the Cubs, by many accounts), but since we don't like Manny, when he hit a HUGE home run he was a jackass for taking off his gloves.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we don't really do that kind of stuff, but it's pretty presumptious to tell one of the greatest hitters in the game today what he can or can't do. Notice how no one really gets pissed at Sosa when he does his little skip because he only hit like 15 home runs this year...seems to show what they were really mad about was the home runs and not the shimmying.

"Parkman doing his little shimmy...it makes the women here in Cleveland PUKE."

Oh and Ligue? You might not want to compare people who didn't attack any innocent people to people who did attack an innocent person. Hyperbole is a lot of fun to play around with but it kind of makes you look like a moron when you start to use it to take yourself too seriously.

PS - I'm not really clear what asterisks have to do with anything, nor my post count, nor the respect you do or do not have.

Ok - here goes. First of all, Ruth called his shot. He intimidated the pitcher, and then he came through. That's legendary. To showboat after you hit the homerun is just childish. Ruth intimidated the pitcher and used it to his advantage. Manny - Manny was just showing off how great Manny is. There's a big difference. He has a big head and the attitude of a child. #2 said it best when he said that Manny couldn't hold Babe's jock.

Comparing Manny or raving posters to William Ligue has nothing to do with an attack made. It has to do with seeking attention while looking like a horse's rear end. Hey you are right. Hyperbole is fun. Know what else is fun - simile. I think simile is especially fun when the person that did not understand nor have a clue about the comparison being made calls someone else dumb. That's fun too.

The astericks refer to the childish implied cursing which also fits into that whole simile = attention-seeking-child-thing.

Stroker Ace
10-10-2005, 06:04 PM
We are DEVO.HAHAHA! I'm listening to that song now. Back to the subject, I don't like what manny did because it is manny. I have no problem with A.J.'s bat flip because A.J. doesn't purposely show people up and act like a moron. I agree that if the Sox had a 3-4 run lead when Manny came up to bat, someone should have fired one at the earhole.

fquaye149
10-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Ok - here goes. First of all, Ruth called his shot. He intimidated the pitcher, and then he came through. That's legendary. To showboat after you hit the homerun is just childish. Ruth intimidated the pitcher and used it to his advantage. Manny - Manny was just showing off how great Manny is. There's a big difference. He has a big head and the attitude of a child. #2 said it best when he said that Manny couldn't hold Babe's jock.

Comparing Manny or raving posters to William Ligue has nothing to do with an attack made. It has to do with seeking attention while looking like a horse's rear end. Hey you are right. Hyperbole is fun. Know what else is fun - simile. I think simile is especially fun when the person that did not understand nor have a clue about the comparison being made calls someone else dumb. That's fun too.

The astericks refer to the childish implied cursing which also fits into that whole simile = attention-seeking-child-thing.

This is ridiculous. Do you even listen to what you're saying when you talk?

Have fun being the only poster ever to make it on my block list.

To the rest of you, it's your right to criticize Manny for what he did and you're not wrong to do so...but just remember exactly what you're talking about.

"Showing someone up" is something almost entirely unique to sports, especially in the fashion we're discussing here. It doesn't really translate to polite society - very rarely do two people go one on one against each other for something and have the outcome decided immediately. Therefore our opinions on "showing someone up" are based on tradition in the game that we describe it as wrong that Manny did what he did. If you don't like what Manny did or the wear CC Sabathia wears his uniform it's because you respect tradition at a different level than they do. It has nothing to do with either being right or wrong and doesn't necessarily make anyone an *******.

In my opinion the best players in baseball can do what they want on the field as long as it's within the rules of the game. Also opposing pitchers are well within their rights to react to those things the best players in baseball do. No one on the White Sox threw at Manny that game. No one threw him an elbow rounding the bases. Paulie didn't put a hard tag on him on a pickoff move. I would have certainly liked to see that stuff, and I like AJ's batflips and spiking Boone. But then, I'm from the Ty Cobb school of baseball. That's how I played the game and that's how I like to see it played.

That probably explains a lot:redneck