PDA

View Full Version : Air Raid Siren? Mayor Daley hints at it

Baby Fisk
10-07-2005, 11:33 AM
CBS (?) morning show showed Mayor Daley and some other local pols hamming it up with White Sox hats and rally towels in the council chamber. They mentioned that the Mayor had hinted he would sound the air raid siren if the Sox win the ALCS. That would be awesome. Another south side tradition! :bandance:

Did anyone else hear anything on this?

The Dude
10-07-2005, 11:37 AM
the only thing I heard was on CLTV after the Sox clinched...he said he wouldnt do it because of homeland security blah blah.

downstairs
10-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Its never going to happen. The Feds would never allow that nowadays...

CaptainBallz
10-07-2005, 11:48 AM
That would be sweet. I do doubt it though, considering the ramifications.

But when the Sox clinched, somebody had posted a link to an air raid siren mp3 that I sent to everybody in my contact list. At the office I work at, I heard three of them go off at once as people opened the email. I highly recommend EVERYBODY doing this, repeatedly if you have to. We could send the sirens all over the world.

GO GO GO WHITE SOX!! Raise Hades Tonight!!!

Tekijawa
10-07-2005, 11:51 AM

You mean like they wouldn't allow the tearing up of an airport in the middle of the night with out prior notice? If they win the ALCS I could see it happening.

XplodingScorbord
10-07-2005, 11:51 AM

But when the Sox clinched, somebody had posted a link to an air raid siren mp3 that I sent to everybody in my contact list. At the office I work at, I heard three of them go off at once as people opened the email. I highly recommend EVERYBODY doing this, repeatedly if you have to. We could send the sirens all over the world.

Can that link magically appear again, please?

Hitmen77
10-07-2005, 11:52 AM

Would you be so kind, sir, as to share that link with your friends at WSI?

gobears1987
10-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Its never going to happen. The Feds would never allow that nowadays...Yeah and the Feds wouldn't like tearing up airports, and that didn't stop Dailey.

Baby Fisk
10-07-2005, 11:55 AM
Everyone click this at around 6:00pm tonight...

http://www.airraidsirens.com/mp3/airraid101.mp3

I_Liked_Manuel
10-07-2005, 11:58 AM

i'm sure he's got 75 people on the city payroll that their only responsibility is to sound the air rade sirens....and they haven't done anything in almost 50 years

Baby Fisk
10-07-2005, 11:59 AM
i'm sure he's got 75 people on the city payroll that their only responsibility is to sound the air rade sirens....and they haven't done anything in almost 50 years
What an awesome city. :cool:

CaptainBallz
10-07-2005, 12:00 PM

Thanks Baby Fisk---I was looking for the post with that link.
I'll be saving it this time.

Brian26
10-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Daley rules.

:hizzoner:

"That'a Boy!"

kevingrt
10-07-2005, 12:27 PM

So why not start tonight obviously!

34 Inch Stick
10-07-2005, 12:52 PM
A siren salute for anything less than a World Series victory would change the nickname from The City Of Big Shoulders to The City Of Low Expectations.

mweflen
10-07-2005, 01:06 PM
A siren salute for anything less than a World Series victory would change the nickname from The City Of Big Shoulders to The City Of Low Expectations.

Blowing the air raid siren for an AL pennant is the tradition - it comes from a city ordinance fromt he 50's, that said if the Sox with the pennant, there should be a "loud clatter of bells and whistles" or something like that. So Daley Sr. sounded off the air raid sirens after they clinched in 59.

And if Daddy Daley could do it then, when there was an ACTUAL ENEMY THREAT OF AIR RAIDS, why can't Baby Daley do it this year?

SALUKIS15
10-07-2005, 01:14 PM
I would love to see Da Mayor do this. My Dad always tells me about when they did it in '59 and it would be great to do it again...but ONLY if we go to the World Series, not before. Don't want to cheapen a tradition like this.

CaptainBallz
10-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Blowing the air raid siren for an AL pennant is the tradition - it comes from a city ordinance fromt he 50's, that said if the Sox with the pennant, there should be a "loud clatter of bells and whistles" or something like that. So Daley Sr. sounded off the air raid sirens after they clinched in 59.

And if Daddy Daley could do it then, when there was an ACTUAL ENEMY THREAT OF AIR RAIDS, why can't Baby Daley do it this year?

Didn't it cause some confusion and panic, though. As ridiculous as it is to think there's actually gonna be an air raid, I don't think certain people are any less excitable than they were back then. And also, I know it's hard to believe, some people might not actually be following the Sox playoff run.

I can already picture grandma rounding up the cats and holing up in her basement for weeks.

I won't be offended if he does sound them, I just don't see it.

mweflen
10-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Didn't it cause some confusion and panic, though. As ridiculous as it is to think there's actually gonna be an air raid, I don't think certain people are any less excitable than they were back then. And also, I know it's hard to believe, some people might not actually be following the Sox playoff run.

I can already picture grandma rounding up the cats and holing up in her basement for weeks.

I won't be offended if he does sound them, I just don't see it.

Yeah, apparently some poeple thought the Soviets were bombing in 59. It was the height of the cold war.

There is absolutely no comparison between the Cold War and the relatively mild terror hysteria of today. The cold war was no trumped up republican campaign strategy - it was the real, constant threat of global annihlation. And the Sox winning the pennant was more important than that. So I don't see how Daley CAN'T sound them this year if it happens.

If Daley doesn't blow the air raid sirens, the terrorists win!

34 Inch Stick
10-07-2005, 01:45 PM

Is there really an ordinance or are you just pulling my leg? I would think we would see the papers quouting it if it were on the books.

mweflen
10-07-2005, 02:35 PM
Is there really an ordinance or are you just pulling my leg? I would think we would see the papers quouting it if it were on the books.

There was really an ordinance in 59, passed by the city council. I don't know if there is one this year, I doubt it.

TheOldRoman
10-07-2005, 05:25 PM
Yeah, apparently some poeple thought the Soviets were bombing in 59. It was the height of the cold war.

There is absolutely no comparison between the Cold War and the relatively mild terror hysteria of today. The cold war was no trumped up republican campaign strategy - it was the real, constant threat of global annihlation. And the Sox winning the pennant was more important than that. So I don't see how Daley CAN'T sound them this year if it happens.

If Daley doesn't blow the air raid sirens, the terrorists win!
You are a moron, and you are also headed towards the Roadhouse.

mweflen
10-07-2005, 07:33 PM

I know you are, but what am I.

Do your research before you spout off.

I didn't know you were elected pope of the roadhouse, either. Seeing as how you resort to name calling, which is not allowed by the rules of WSI.

bludupree
10-07-2005, 08:18 PM

I'm still trying to figure out how the comment could possibly be roadhouse material.

Stroker Ace
10-07-2005, 08:18 PM

http://www.airraidsirens.com/mp3/airraid101.mp3 How bout a louder siren, like the tornado sirens, or the ones on a stuka. Pure intimidation.

The Racehorse
10-07-2005, 08:25 PM
The comments in this thread are cracking me up... just blow the damn siren after making a public announcement that it's gonna happen so the old folks in nursing homes and the kids in schools don't get riled up... it's Chicago not Mayberry.

CLR01
10-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Repeat after me Mayor Daley

"We were just checking to see if they work, no really we were."

Chips
10-07-2005, 08:31 PM

Got anything louder?

jabrch
10-07-2005, 08:35 PM

I want to see who is watching the button at that point in time. The Feds, or Da Mayor.

whtsx1959
10-07-2005, 08:42 PM
I just played that air siren and some German people are staying at my house this week to run the marathon, they thought the sirens were real, but I explained to them I was just celebrating and I explained to the about 1959, which was my pleasure.

CLR01
10-07-2005, 08:46 PM
I want to see who is watching the button at that point in time. The Feds, or Da Mayor.

Da Mayor has some chowder to eat so he will be busy.

bestkosher
10-07-2005, 09:03 PM
the air raids will be tough but since the southside is more known for its churches than anything, I would love to hear all the church bells ring on the southside if the sox did win the ALCS.

pczarapa
10-07-2005, 09:15 PM

That's cool, and weird at the same time. A site dedicated to air raid siren enthusiasts!

Buon Pasqua
10-08-2005, 05:04 AM
Do people these days, people under say, 30, at least, even know what air raid sirens are? I don't think they would cause a panic -- everyone is so connected these days to the media, the internet, etc., that anyone not living underneath a wacker drive bridge would know what to expect. Besides, when i was a kid, the air raid sirens went off every tuesday at 1030a.m., and we knew it wasn't an actual attack. My question is, would they even work if turned on???

JorgeFabregas
10-08-2005, 10:44 AM
I believe they still go off...first Tuesday of the month at 10:00 am.