PDA

View Full Version : Tribune Praying for Misery Loves Company: compares Sox to '84 Flubs

Banix12
10-07-2005, 01:44 AM
I've kinda gotten used to the crud that they're shoveling over there at the Tribune, but todays was the absolute worst.

All season we've been blighted with these stupid "history lessons" about teams that won a lot and lost in the playoffs or won a lot and choked down the stretch and numerous others. So far I think we've had the 2001 Mariners, the 1995 Angels, that Phillies team in the 60's (I forget the year), and I'm sure a few others I'm missing.

But now we get the 1984 cubs. Who (I'm paraphrasing) "got overconfident and blew a 2-0 lead against the Padres". So don't get overconfident or you'll end up like the cubs.

Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051006soxfeech,1,5251224.story?page=2&coll=cs-home-headlines)

My god I want the Sox to make it to the ALCS and go up 3 games to 0 against either team just so we can read the Trib's article "Careful Sox: Remember the 04 Yankees!"

Hey Trib, how about some articles about teams that won a ton of games and went on to win it all. How about some 1990 Reds or 1984 Tigers or here's a novel idea...

Stick to articles from the present instead of giving us this history garbage that has absolutely no relevance to any games being played in the 2005 playoffs!

Sorry, had to vent. Man this is irritating.

CLR01
10-07-2005, 01:47 AM
Before this season is over the will compare the Sox to every team that has lost in the post season. If they win it all they will say we told you they could do it.

CluelessJoe1919
10-07-2005, 05:48 AM
You guys are a bit rough on the Tribune. If the Sox haven't won a postseason series since 1917, shouldn't the Trib post the facts and results (even though it has nothing to do with the current roster)?

Wouldn't the Tribune want Sox fans to, also, buy the paper?

SOXPHILE
10-07-2005, 10:24 AM
I was just about to start a thread about this too. Yeah Trib, thank you for the continuing history lessons, and stories about all the famous chokes and blown leads througout the entire history of organized sports since the beggining of time. Now please, for gods sake, ENOUGH ! We know that it sticks in your craw that the Cubs didn't make the playoffs (again), and in fact, finished under .500 (Shocking ! They've NEVER done that !) Another thing that pisses me off is that they couldn't let more than a few days go by without having a big story involving the Cubs, could they ?

chopperjc
10-07-2005, 10:53 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-051006soxfeech,1,4933838.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

Read this article and talk about trying to lump us in with the Cubs. Why does everything have to be about them. I am sorry but this is about us not some other team.:angry: :angry: :angry:

jackbrohamer
10-07-2005, 10:58 AM
I expect no fairness from the Cubune, but I'm still amazed at how relentlessly & tirelessly the Cubune pumps the crappy product of its "sister" company

PaleHoseGeorge
10-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Yep. Somebody here predicted earlier this week that the Cubune would write a piece comparing the Sox to the '84 Cubs. Another accurate prediction the Cubune apologists simply can't explain away. "It's all about the Cubs... even when it's supposed to be about the Sox."

veeter
10-07-2005, 11:05 AM
It's as if they wanted the Sox to go 2-0, instead of 1-1 so they could write this crap. Also, Rogers had to bring up today signing Konerko will be "very difficult". Nice timing jerk. He's assuming the Sox payroll will stay the same. I feel JR will reward Sox fans by raising the payroll and keeping nearly everybody.

Hangar18
10-07-2005, 11:05 AM
Yep. Somebody here predicted earlier this week that the Cubune would write a piece comparing the Sox to the '84 Cubs. Another accurate prediction the Cubune apologists simply can't explain away. "It's all about the Cubs... even when it's supposed to be about the Sox."

And I predicted in one of the "you write tomorrows cubune headline" that the MEDIA would talk about how much $$$$$ the SOX being in the playoffs is costing businesses. It was a fluff piece about ALL the teams costing businesses in their home cities money, and Dave Navarro of FOX rightly said what about the Tourism and Restaurant business.....isnt that going up, to which Dr J, the stocks expert, said "well your right, it does go up" then added nothing else to the segment. Was a time wasting piece that they shouldve just interviewed some fans in California or something

Let me be the FIRST right now however, to give a full KUDOS to FOX, for the superb coverage theyre giving the WHite Sox right now. They are BLOWING EVERYONE else out of the water. Excellent Excellent Job.
I recommend everyone start watching FOX in the AM and see the difference

Hangar18
10-07-2005, 11:12 AM
.......Also, Rogers had to bring up today signing Konerko will be "very difficult". Nice timing jerk. He's assuming the Sox payroll will stay the same. I feel JR will reward Sox fans by raising the payroll and keeping nearly everybody.

Well, the SOX shouldve locked him up EARLY, before the season, they knew full well there would be no decent 1B available next year. The SOX gambled, and now will have to pay up seeing they came up SnakeEyes. Pay Konerko because if you think our offense can handle no Paulie in the lineup ........tsk tsk.

:reinsy "Raising the Payroll? whoah whoah! Hangar hangar, everyone lets all take a deeeeeeeeeep breath and lets not jump the gun here.
Look at all the money we saved this year by not letting the payroll jump to $95 Million! Cmon everyone ........ lets not get crazy here ........money doesnt grow on trees you know"

Brewski
10-07-2005, 11:15 AM
And I predicted in one of the "you write tomorrows cubune headline" that the MEDIA would talk about how much $$$$$ the SOX being in the playoffs is costing businesses. It was a fluff piece about ALL the teams costing businesses in their home cities money, and Dave Navarro of FOX rightly said what about the Tourism and Restaurant business.....isnt that going up, to which Dr J, the stocks expert, said "well your right, it does go up" then added nothing else to the segment. Was a time wasting piece that they shouldve just interviewed some fans in California or something

If you want a stocks expert, I advise you to look elsewhere than Dr. J. Of course, that is true of any stocks expert you see on TV (or anywhere else). You can find "experts" with contrary views on any topic dealing with stocks, but I find Dr. J to be mostly interested in promoting Dr. J.

Rocky Soprano
10-07-2005, 11:29 AM
FOX has been AWESOME. I suggest we all send them e-mails to thank them. Let them know we are out there and are watching them and appreciate their effort!

http://www.foxchicago.com/contact/programming.shtml

TDog
10-07-2005, 11:47 AM
... Why does everything have to be about them. I am sorry but this is about us not some other team....

It isn't limited to the Chicago media. The Associated Press yesterday offered a "postseason glance" of teams that came back from 2-0 deficits. I don't think that had anything to do with the buzz surrounding the Padres.

As everyone knows, or at least has heard or read, the Red Sox don't get serious about winning until they face elimination. They have that tradition of not being eliminated at all last year. In truth, I won't be comfortable with this Red Sox series until the White Sox get that third win. But that has nothing to do with the Red Sox tradition, or even with the fact that the Cubs area losers.

I am used to the Cubs comparisons by now. When the Sox had a big lead going into August, they were compared to the '69 Cubs. People have been talking about the possibility of Cubs-like collapse for this team for months. Beat the Red Sox (in three, four or five games) and watch what would happen if the White Sox went up 3-1 in the ALCS. There's more Cubs losing tradition to draw from.

The last I checked, no one on the current Sox roster played for the 1984 Cubs. Many weren't even born in 1969. I would think Cubs fans would be upset if while the White Sox are winning the Chicago media insisted on focusing on what losers the Cubs have been. Unless Cubs fans are so proud of losing that they want to be reminded of their failures constantly.

jackbrohamer
10-07-2005, 11:53 AM
IIRC the Cubune earlier this season said that the Sox would have to win the world series 2 or 3 times to be as "popular" as the Cubs. Look for them to beat that talking point to death if the Sox get there. (I know, I should say "when" they get there but I don't want to jinx!)

Max Power
10-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Frey blamed the lack of lights at Wrigley Field for the final three games being played at Jack Murphy Stadium, where they could be televised in prime time.

Here we go again. No matter how many times you say it, it's NOT true.

But, in reality, an old rule established in 1969 dictated that in even years the Western Division team would enjoy home-field advantage.

My jaw hit the floor when I read this. Finally, the truth!

Whatever the cause, the '84 collapse contributed to a Chicago baseball culture...

Whatever the cause!! Unbelievable.

TDog
10-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Maybe the Tribune could do a story about all the teams that were up 2-0 in five-game series and didn't lose the next three.

tebman
10-07-2005, 01:10 PM
You guys are a bit rough on the Tribune. If the Sox haven't won a postseason series since 1917, shouldn't the Trib post the facts and results (even though it has nothing to do with the current roster)?

Wouldn't the Tribune want Sox fans to, also, buy the paper?
A reasonable question, but one whose answer proves not so easy when faced with the Tribune's history. In this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56238&highlight=wycliff), the there's a discussion about the Tribune's public editor's acknowledgement that there's a legitimate question about the paper's objectivity and its motives. However, he concluded breezily that it's the Sox fans' problem to deal with.

Read PaleHoseGeorge's column (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=1&id=2947)about this for a good summary.

dcb33
10-07-2005, 01:11 PM
I wonder what kind of story the Cubune will print if the Sox go up 3-1 in the ALCS... :rolleyes:

DaleJRFan
10-07-2005, 02:04 PM
I wonder what kind of story the Cubune will print if the Sox go up 3-1 in the ALCS... :rolleyes:

3-1 in the ALCS?? That's assuming they lose a game...

Dan H
10-07-2005, 03:01 PM
I didn't take offense to this article by itself. However, when you lump it in with the Phillies story and the "Choke Hold" headline, it is obvious that the Tribune isn't just writing about a possible collapse, they want it. We know the Sox cannot take Boston for granted. The Red Sox are world champions and no one can act like they won anything until that final out is made. And getting that final out is extremely difficult. But the conflict of interest is more than obvious. Why, at this point, should anyone care about the '84 Cubs?

MRKARNO
10-07-2005, 08:19 PM

Or up 3-0 in the ALCS...

MRKARNO
10-07-2005, 08:20 PM
I didn't take offense to this article by itself. However, when you lump it in with the Phillies story and the "Choke Hold" headline, it is obvious that the Tribune isn't just writing about a possible collapse, they want it. We know the Sox cannot take Boston for granted. The Red Sox are world champions and no one can act like they won anything until that final out is made. And getting that final out is extremely difficult. But the conflict of interest is more than obvious. Why, at this point, should anyone care about the '84 Cubs?

Don't forget about the article about that Giants team that won 100+ and failed to make the postseason that Mark Gonzalez wrote earlier...

SOXSINCE'70
10-08-2005, 09:57 AM
Just wait;It gets better.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Now we'll hear about how the sCrUBS took a 3 games to 1 lead
in the 2003 NLCS and CHOKED IN 7!! :angry: :angry:

TommyJohn
10-08-2005, 10:04 AM
Here's an interesting fact that they never touched upon: No postseason
series involving the White Sox has ever gone down to a do-or-die game.
(Excluding the exhibition "City Series" vs. the Cubs.) Now you could add
the series with Boston to the list. Now why not write about that? It is as
I wrote during the season, if you MUST compare the 2005 White Sox with
teams from the past, why not make it past WHITE SOX teams? I mean, is
that asking too much? Well, they want badly for the White Sox to choke,
and the Sox have never choked in the fashion that the Cubs have. So I
guess I am asking too much.