PDA

View Full Version : It is designed to break your heart

Fenway
10-07-2005, 10:45 AM
White Sox fans have every reason to feel hopeful this morning as we wait for Game 3. One more win and then you play for the pennant.

I expect the Red Sox to bounce back ( but then a fan never really expects his team to lose ) Just remember in these 5 games series, things can change quick.

Fenway will be a madhouse today as we hope summer can last at least another day. We both know what the Fenway Faithful will be chanting today (besides Yankees S***) "1917" That is what fans do.

The only thing for sure the first two games have done is to insure that at least one more baseball game will be played at 35th and Shields. Who the other team is in your next home game we don't know yet.

But if the White Sox do win this weekend here, Boston will salute you as true baseball fans here really like your team. Red Sox fans will root for you the rest of the way and hope that you will at the end feel like we did 49 weeks ago.

But as the teams take the field today remember these words

"It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, you rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then, just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops." -A. Bartlett Giamatti

Hearts will be broken this weekend but we just don't know where yet.

Hangar18
10-07-2005, 10:49 AM
As long as the SOX lay off the Knuckler ........ and WORK THE COUNT ........
were going to WIN this game. Lets go SOX. Your right though Fenway,
someones going to be brokenhearted tonite

ajtokarz
10-07-2005, 10:52 AM
"It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, you rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then, just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops." -A. Bartlett Giamatti

How true is that......thank god I still have my perscription of Paxil on hand.

Great words fenway, best of luck to you this weekend, and let the best team win.

SportsPg
10-07-2005, 10:56 AM
White Sox fans have every reason to feel hopeful this morning as we wait for Game 3. One more win and then you play for the pennant.

I expect the Red Sox to bounce back ( but then a fan never really expects his team to lose ) Just remember in these 5 games series, things can change quick.

Fenway will be a madhouse today as we hope summer can last at least another day. We both know what the Fenway Faithful will be chanting today (besides Yankees S***) "1917" That is what fans do.

The only thing for sure the first two games have done is to insure that at least one more baseball game will be played at 35th and Shields. Who the other team is in your next home game we don't know yet.

But if the White Sox do win this weekend here, Boston will salute you as true baseball fans here really like your team. Red Sox fans will root for you the rest of the way and hope that you will at the end feel like we did 49 weeks ago.

Fenway, give me a break about the Fenway effect. That level of melodrama belongs on SOSH with the rest of the overly emotional Red Sox fans.

I'm a long time lurker who seldom posts, but as both a diehard lifelong White Sox fan (grew up with the South Side Hitmen), and a graduate of Boston University, I had to post. I've gone to 20 or so Red Sox games at Fenway, so I think I have some credibility here.

The Red Sox have great fans and a fun ballpark to watch games. So do the White Sox. Last time I checked, 40,000+ packed USCF for games one and two. I don't see Graffanino blaming the 40,000 for his error. He blamed himself. Wells....ditto - he blamed himself for the hanging curve that Iguichi nailed.

Last time I checked, the White Sox walked into a packed Fenway about a month ago with a rookie pitcher and walked out a winner. Bottom line, if Garcia throws a good game, the White Sox are probably going to win. If the Red Sox sack up and play at their best - we might go 4 or even 5 games.

The "mystique" of Fenway will have no more to do with it than the "mystique" of USCF had to do with the assbeating Boston took in game one, or the error/3 run HR in game two.

Vernam
10-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Great post, fenway. Of all the effete East Coast baseball romanticists, Giamatti will always have a special place in my heart. No teal . . .

Good luck, and (I really mean this) may the best team win. That would be us. :redneck

Vernam

Domeshot17
10-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Essentially, The White Sox went 2 and 2 in Fenway. They got rained out in the 4th inning, one before it would be official, with a very commanding lead. Came back, and won on memorial day as BMac shut them down and we hit the savior hard. If The Series opened up in Boston, Fenway may have had an effect, they may have been a little initmidated, but not now.

everyone expected our boys to "poop" the bed in the playoffs. They expected us to lay down and die and get smashed by the red sox. We took the first 2, and they say it is only because were at home, despite being one of the best road teams in baseball. So again, because it is baseball, and because a totally different Red Sox team came back on the Yankees last year, and because it is in Fenway Park, which ESPN thinks is the Cathedral of Major League Baseball, and people in Boston are born with a gene that makes them cheer louder then white sox fans,Because of all this, we are the under dog, and thats the way we want it

Fungo
10-07-2005, 11:07 AM
Fenway will be a madhouse today as we hope summer can last at least another day. We both know what the Fenway Faithful will be chanting today (besides Yankees S***) "1917"

This absolutely kills me...Boston has some arrogant fans. They were basically in the same boat as us until last year. Whatever, that's fine, I'll just try to contain my laughter if they do.

voodoochile
10-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Well... um...hmmm...good lu...

goo...

g...

Ah crap... oh well, you wouldn't believe me if I actually could say it and in truth, I really wouldn't mean it.

I'll try to say something nice when the series is over...

Until then...

**** BOSTON!!!

whitesoxruleall
10-07-2005, 11:14 AM
If they chant 1917 it will just piss the White Sox off more and make them want to slaughter the Red Sox even more.

ChiSoxMTR
10-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Homefield advantage means very little in baseball. If Freddy pitches like I expect him to, and the hitters take the proper approach against Wakefield, the Sox will finish their business today.

hawkjt
10-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Sox have really been very solid in Fenway the last few years if memory serves me right. I remember Garland throwing a 2 hitter there a couple of years ago. I really think the crowd effect is on the red sox and does pick them up. Our guys have been playing in front of full houses that are manic in cleveland and soxpark in the last week. Opposing players like the energy in fenway also. At least AJ who has the greatest response to every pressure question. he always says- this is fun and the bigger the game the funner it is.

Take care of business,Sox.

Fenway
10-07-2005, 11:16 AM
If they chant 1917 it will just piss the White Sox off more and make them want to slaughter the Red Sox even more.

Usually when the Fenway crowd does something like this it backfires

1988 Steroids chant to Jose
1986 chanting Strawberry in Series

ChiWavDave
10-07-2005, 11:17 AM
Thanks Fenway... May the Best Team Win. As Fenway said, RedSox Fans will be rooting for the WhiteSox when we win this series. I have a few freindly wagers (Lobsters vs. Prime Midwest Steaks) with some BeanTown friends and they all have been very enthusiatic about the WhiteSox all year, and have already stated the victor of this series should win it all... Lets hope its us!

soxfan26
10-07-2005, 11:25 AM

:roflmao:What would Red Cub fans know about being "true baseball fans"?

Here is something for you Red Cub fans to think about while we ponder Giamatti's quote:

Wakefield

ERA in ALDS play: 9.92

ERA vs. White Sox (2005): 6.57

ERA vs. RHB (2005): 4.62

No one is counting the Red Cubs out, but please spare us the melodrama.

cleanwsox
10-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Thanks Fenway... May the Best Team Win. As Fenway said, RedSox Fans will be rooting for the WhiteSox when we win this series. I have a few freindly wagers (Lobsters vs. Prime Midwest Steaks) with some BeanTown friends and they all have been very enthusiatic about the WhiteSox all year, and have already stated the victor of this series should win it all... Lets hope its us!

Well, I can't see them rooting for the Yankees so they have no choice to root for us. If the Yankees lose to the Angels though, they may root for the Angels just to spite us.

On the other hand, who gives a crap about who the Red Sox fans root for after we hand them their asses tonight.

ode to veeck
10-07-2005, 11:31 AM
I still don't get the 1917 chant; 1919 would be so much more demeaning as a chant :?:

I can do better than Voodoo, good luck Boston fans, you'll need it to get home in one piece after a good Irish wake style drinking bout at the Rat after the White Sox clinch tonight

maurice
10-07-2005, 11:49 AM
Believe me when I tell you that absolutely nobody on the Sox roster will give a crap if you chant "1917." Most of them probably won't even know what you mean. Obviously, the "Fenway mystique" and Wakefield's knuckler don't affect them either. The only way the Red Cubs have any chance in this game is if they somehow manage to get to Garcia early. Even then, the Sox will just beat the Red Cubs ass in Game 4. Either way, the Red Cubs are done.

harwar
10-07-2005, 11:51 AM

I have a woodcut of that quote over my fireplace.It sums of baseball to me so completely.
I'm not much for any of the other team sports but anyone who loves baseball is ok in my book.I'm not one who hates the other teams,i like the banter between fans as long as it stay civil.Looking forward to more fun when we play the yankees next round.
Good luck and have fun today(not too much).
Since Wakefield is pitching today this one caught my eye.
"A knuckleball is a curveball that doesn't give a damn" -Jimmy Cannon.

Iwritecode
10-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Usually when the Fenway crowd does something like this it backfires

1988 Steroids chant to Jose
1986 chanting Strawberry in Series

Up until last year, anything the Fenway crowd did backfired...

voodoochile
10-07-2005, 11:55 AM
Up until last year, EVERYTHING the Fenway crowd did backfired...

fixed your post...:D:

Oh and BTW, LOL!

Paulwny
10-07-2005, 11:55 AM
Believe me when I tell you that absolutely nobody on the Sox roster will give a crap if you chant "1917." Most of them probably won't even know what you mean. Obviously, the "Fenway mystique" and Wakefield's knuckler don't affect them either. The only way the Red Cubs have any chance in this game is if they somehow manage to get to Garcia early. Even then, the Sox will just beat the Red Cubs ass in Game 4. Either way, the Red Cubs are done.

Agree, a "1917" chant would only affect some sox fans, but have no affect on the players.

10-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Fenway as a Church Elder, you have been a loyal member of this Web Site and I've always enjoyed your posts and I love that you spend time here just because you love the fans and love the game....I know you will be back here win or lose and not talking s***! Now that being saidLETS GO WHITE SOX

:gulp:

Unregistered
10-07-2005, 12:45 PM
best of luck to you this weekend...
:tsk:

Good luck...
Good luck...

34 Inch Stick
10-07-2005, 12:47 PM
It seems that Boston fans are relying on past performance, location and weather rather than players to win this series.

It will end today. That will give the poets plenty of time to pen an obituary for the Monday morning edition.

It really is for the best, as the Red Sox, much like the Cubs, obtain an identity by losing. The past year this team has been walking around like a psych ward patient with memory loss deseperately trying to remember who it is. Today we will treat you to a remarkable breakthrough in your therapy.

Did anyone see Otis around here in the past week?

Fenway
10-07-2005, 12:50 PM
Up until last year, anything the Fenway crowd did backfired...

touche

Brian26
10-07-2005, 12:54 PM

We don't? :?:

Make sure you guys get Schilling up in the pen early today, Fenway. After we light up Wakefield, I want to see us get a few licks on Schilling too. This is going to be fun.

LuvSox
10-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Well... um...hmmm...good lu...

goo...

g...

Ah crap... oh well, you wouldn't believe me if I actually could say it and in truth, I really wouldn't mean it.

I'll try to say something nice when the series is over...

Until then...

**** BOSTON!!!

:kneeslap:

voodoochile
10-07-2005, 01:31 PM
Fenway as a Church Elder, you have been a loyal member of this Web Site and I've always enjoyed your posts and I love that you spend time here just because you love the fans and love the game....I know you will be back here win or lose and not talking s***! Now that being saidLETS GO WHITE SOX

3-hours before game time and someone decides to get around the language filters...

See you in a week.

*voodoo shakes his head*

Get a clue people... we aren't letting people off the hook simply because it's the playoffs...:rolleyes:

Iwritecode
10-07-2005, 01:35 PM
3-hours before game time and someone decides to get around the language filters...

See you in a week.

*voodoo shakes his head*

Get a clue people... we aren't letting people off the hook simply because it's the playoffs...:rolleyes:

When is attendance talk allowed again?

chisox117
10-07-2005, 01:52 PM
I expect the Red Sox to bounce back ( but then a fan never really expects his team to lose )

Memo to you Fenway: Expect your Red Cubs to lose this weekend.

voodoochile
10-07-2005, 01:55 PM
When is attendance talk allowed again?

That would be never. What's the point? :dunno:

Iwritecode
10-07-2005, 02:03 PM
That would be never. What's the point? :dunno:

I just wanted to mention how unbelievable close my prediction at the beginning of the season was to the actual number. :cool:

It's just a topic that comes up once in a while and as long as it didn't deteriorate into an arguement over it, I figured it would be allowed again.

Either way, not a big deal to me.

Cutter
10-07-2005, 02:05 PM
I'm a long time lurker who seldom posts, but as both a diehard White Sox fan and a graduate of Boston University.

Ditto.

Go Sox.

The Pale Hose Are Coming...The Pale Hose Are Coming!!!
(So yelled a certain silversmith on horseback riding around Boston last night)

DaleJRFan
10-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Fenway, give me a break about the Fenway effect. That level of melodrama belongs on SOSH with the rest of the overly emotional Red Sox fans.

I'm a long time lurker who seldom posts, but as both a diehard lifelong White Sox fan (grew up with the South Side Hitmen), and a graduate of Boston University, I had to post. I've gone to 20 or so Red Sox games at Fenway, so I think I have some credibility here.

The Red Sox have great fans and a fun ballpark to watch games. So do the White Sox. Last time I checked, 40,000+ packed USCF for games one and two. I don't see Graffanino blaming the 40,000 for his error. He blamed himself. Wells....ditto - he blamed himself for the hanging curve that Iguichi nailed.

Last time I checked, the White Sox walked into a packed Fenway about a month ago with a rookie pitcher and walked out a winner. Bottom line, if Garcia throws a good game, the White Sox are probably going to win. If the Red Sox sack up and play at their best - we might go 4 or even 5 games.

The "mystique" of Fenway will have no more to do with it than the "mystique" of USCF had to do with the @ssbeating Boston took in game one, or the error/3 run HR in game two.

You need to post more often.

BNLSox
10-07-2005, 02:12 PM

You're a class act Fenway!

Now go Get em White Sox.

Fenway
10-07-2005, 03:00 PM
I just saw a beautiful sight in Kenmore Sq

A scalper with a fistfull of tickets saw them blow out of his hand when we had a nice gust :smile:

people were picking them up like they were $100 bills

Fenway
10-07-2005, 03:01 PM
You're a class act Fenway!

Now go Get em White Sox.

merci

going out on a limb

Sox will win today :gulp: :tongue:

GregoryEtc
10-07-2005, 03:38 PM
I still don't get the 1917 chant; 1919 would be so much more demeaning as a chant :?:

I remember a quote from one of our guys this pre-season where he was asked if he knew how long its been since the Right Sox won a series. His response was, "I dunno but I know its been a long time."

Does anyone really think that a chant of 1917 or 1919 would really get to this team? Unless its something the players can personally relate to (i.e. "Who's your daddy!?") fan heckling isn't going to work.

I'd venture to guess that none of them (with the possible exception of Neal Cotts who is from the area) were Sox fans before getting to the team and you really have to be a fan of a team to be that into their history. Most of these guys were too busy playing baseball to memorize baseball encyclopedias like us fans. A chant of 1917 or 1919 would really only be aimed at the FANS. And there aren't going to be many of us there.

Bottom line. They'll have to do better than that.

jackbrohamer
10-07-2005, 03:43 PM
Does anyone really think that a chant of 1917 or 1919 would really get to this team?

No, it's idiotic. Yankees fans could effectively taunt the Red Sox with the "1918" chant because the Yankees had won 27 (or whatever) World Series' since Boston's last one. And the teams were rivals.

Boston's 1 crown in 87 years is only marginally better than the Sox's 1 crown in 88 years so the chant's pointless.

longshot7
10-07-2005, 03:58 PM
Sox will win today :gulp: :tongue:

Yes we will.

Fenway
10-07-2005, 09:20 PM
Yes we will.

and indeed the White Sox did win :gulp:

funny

With my friends there has been a running joke that when the Red Sox are eliminated, I take a sad walk around the ballpark.

I did that tonight but it wasn't the same and it took us losing for me to understand why

I'm 55 and I was getting to the point I really thought I would never see the Red Sox win....and as the seasons poured on my walk would get sadder. Then came 2004 :smile:

Don't get me wrong.......I am sad tonight but also know we lost to a better team but it wasn't the same feeling in the gut as it had been.

I had seen my team win it all and now from the bottom of my heart I hope the White Sox can do the same.

DC Sox Fan
10-07-2005, 09:29 PM
fenway, I know you caught a lot of grief this year. And I know that this series was your worst nightmare. I may be in the minority..... but I appreciate all your info and insight. I formally welcome you aboard the sox bandwagon.... and may your luck from last year transfer over to this year :gulp:

voodoochile
10-08-2005, 02:10 AM
and indeed the White Sox did win :gulp:

funny

With my friends there has been a running joke that when the Red Sox are eliminated, I take a sad walk around the ballpark.

I did that tonight but it wasn't the same and it took us losing for me to understand why

I'm 55 and I was getting to the point I really thought I would never see the Red Sox win....and as the seasons poured on my walk would get sadder. Then came 2004 :smile:

Don't get me wrong.......I am sad tonight but also know we lost to a better team but it wasn't the same feeling in the gut as it had been.

I had seen my team win it all and now from the bottom of my heart I hope the White Sox can do the same.

Thanks Fenway. You're alright in my book.

I'm obviously WAY happy with the outcome of this series, but your boys acquitted themselves well this series. They could have folded up and gone home after the first game, but they fought long and hard and gave my Sox everything they could handle. I got respect for that.

I also understand some of what you are talking about with regards to the walk not being as meaningful. I am the same way now about the Bears. Yeah, they've had a miserable decade and a half for the most part, but I got my season tickets in 1985 and that was enough for one lifetime. Yes, I'd like more, but now I won't have to wonder if it will ever happen.

Hopefully this is the Sox year. I already got my Bears, Bulls and Buckeyes trophys. It's time to bring one home for the south side.

Good luck next year and man I hope the Patriots don't win it all again. That would be truly boring...:tongue:

Fenway
10-08-2005, 11:58 AM
Good luck next year and man I hope the Patriots don't win it all again. That would be truly boring...:tongue:

Losing Rodney Harrison probably ended their chances :(:

The game is designed to break your heart.

The key moment yesterday didn't come in the hour long 6th, it was the inning before.

Ortiz CRUSHED a ball that died in death valley. The wind helped on his first homer but on this ball this time the flag was blowing straight in. The baseball gods do stuff like that. :?:

34 Inch Stick
10-08-2005, 12:56 PM
I think we can all sympathize with you today fenway. Treat it as an Irish funeral though. Shed your tear then have a few drinks and relive the memory.