PDA

View Full Version : Initial Reactions (Honest Posters Only!)

gosox83
10-07-2005, 09:39 AM
This question is regarding your initial reaction to putting this team together.

1st. How did you find out about the signing/trade

2nd. What was the first thing that went through your mind?

3rd. What do you think about it now???

Pods----My wife told me while I was taking a shower that Lee was traded for a guy she couldn't pronounce his last name, and I was TICKED!
But then I read more about it online and realized that all the money we were saving we might do something with it. And now I miss the power of Lee, but Love the speed of Pods.

A.J.-----I heard that there was no chance we would sign him and then two days later I hear on the news that we signed him and I was ecstatic. Now I am even more ecstatic cause this guy has tons of heart. Definitely my favorite catcher since "The Commander" #72

Iguchi-----I asked KW about Iguchi at Soxfest and he responded in a manner that led us all to believe the deal was close, but he couldn't say much about it. A week later I read online that we sign him and I am also happy. This time I was cautiously optimistic as I had never seen him play. Now I believe he is a HUGE reason we are where we are!

KENNY WILLIAMS .....for all the crap you have taken and putting this team together,,,my hat is off to you!

Hangar18
10-07-2005, 09:43 AM

Pods----My wife told me while I was taking a shower that Lee was traded for a guy she couldn't pronounce his last name, and I was TICKED!
But then I read more about it online and realized that all the money we were saving we might do something with it. And now I miss the power of Lee, but Love the speed of Pods.

A.J.-----I heard that there was no chance we would sign him and then two days later I hear on the news that we signed him and I was ecstatic. Now I am even more ecstatic cause this guy has tons of heart. Definitely my favorite catcher since "The Commander" #72

Iguchi-----I asked KW about Iguchi at Soxfest and he responded in a manner that led us all to believe the deal was close, but he couldn't say much about it. A week later I read online that we sign him and I am also happy. This time I was cautiously optimistic as I had never seen him play. Now I believe he is a HUGE reason we are where we are!

KENNY WILLIAMS .....for all the crap you have taken and putting this team together,,,my hat is off to you!

1: The Trade. I was furious about the Lee for Pods trade. I thought we were giving up too much offense, and that we shouldve gotten a Pods type back in 03, 04, 02. A buddy of mine, Bill who lurks here, calmed me down, and guaranteed me that I would Love Pods by midsummer (he was right) He also said dont worry, the SOX are probably gonna get a big bat to offset losing Maggs, Lee .......... (was wrong)

thepaulbowski
10-07-2005, 09:48 AM
1: The Trade. I was furious about the Lee for Pods trade. I thought we were giving up too much offense, and that we shouldve gotten a Pods type back in 03, 04, 02. A buddy of mine, Bill who lurks here, calmed me down, and guaranteed me that I would Love Pods by midsummer (he was right) He also said dont worry, the SOX are probably gonna get a big bat to offset losing Maggs, Lee .......... (was wrong)

Dye has done a good job offsetting some of the offense lost.

scottjanssens
10-07-2005, 09:53 AM
1) Found out about the trade on espn.com
2) I thought it was a good move (I also approved of the white flag trade at the time). I figured the Sox for 93 wins and an easy division championship. Both the Sox and Indians were better than I expected them to be. I figured the Twins would fall off, but not as much as they did.
3) My opinion hasn't changed.

Sxy Mofo
10-07-2005, 09:53 AM
My initial, later, and current reaction to the trades/moves (all the same):

Pitching wins championships. It's about damn time this team figured that out. I loved the smart ball approach of moving runners over, getting speed, etc. I hated seeing that old huge lineup losing 6-2 all the time, and once in a while squeek in a 15-3 game.

Loved the AJP signing from day one, he's a dennis rodman like player... guy you hate on the other team, wouldn't do without on your team.

Iguchi... a little indifferent because... hell... our gm didn't know that much about him.

chaotic8512
10-07-2005, 09:55 AM

Pods: I was watching ESPNEWS when I got off of work at like 4 or 5 in the morning, and they were speaking of the big trade. I was certainly pissed at first (big time C. Lee fan), but like everyone has said, getting a closer look at its purpose (freeing up the extra money) and knowing what a change of pace could do for the team really turned me around.

Iguchi: I began following this immediately after the possibility arose... about two weeks of anxious waiting. Definitely was excited about the move.

AJ: I didn't have any doubt this guy would be an indescribable asset to our team considering the weaknesses we've had behind the plate in the past years. Looks like I underestimated a bit! :tongue:

Dye: When I had heard he turned down an offer for more money from the Yanks, I began having a special feeling about this team... players who do things like that are what leads to a team like these Sox.

skobabe8
10-07-2005, 09:57 AM

1) and 2) I kept telling myself the following: "What we had been doing simply WAS NOT WORKING. A change is needed."

I kept telling myself that over and over and that single thought kept me grounded and excited about the upcoming season.

1951Campbell
10-07-2005, 09:58 AM
When all was said and done before the season started, I thought this team would win about 90-92 games, which I thought would give us about a 50/50 chance to win the division.

Ol' No. 2
10-07-2005, 09:59 AM
I was never a big CLee fan, and they needed a leadoff hitter, so I was OK with the trade. Of course, we all had questions about whether we'd get the 2003 Podsednik or the 2004 Podsednik. It was a big gamble, but Kenny has never been afraid to gamble. I'd also hoped for a lot more out of Vizcaino.:(:

I had serious doubts about Pierzynski. All have been dispelled. I give him a lot of the credit for the way the pitching staff has come together.

Like a lot of people, I thought it would take several months for Iguchi to adjust. He proved us wrong. What a find. And the ultimate irony: He worked out for the Red Sox and they passed on him.

skobabe8
10-07-2005, 10:00 AM
I was never a big CLee fan, and they needed a leadoff hitter, so I was OK with the trade. Of course, we all had questions about whether we'd get the 2003 Podsednik or the 2004 Podsednik. It was a big gamble, but Kenny has never been afraid to gamble. I'd also hoped for a lot more out of Vizcaino.:(:

I had serious doubts about Pierzynski. All have been dispelled. I give him a lot of the credit for the way the pitching staff has come together.

Like a lot of people, I thought it would take several months for Iguchi to adjust. He proved us wrong. What a find. And the ultimate irony: He worked out for the Red Sox and they passed on him.

Really!? I had no idea! :D:

pdimas
10-07-2005, 10:01 AM
1. The Lee trade I only sort of liked at first. If we would not have gotten another pitcher with the money saved I would have been ticked. I liked the idea of having another veteran in the bullpen but really liked the idea of having Pods as our leadoff guy. A lot of my buddies didn't like it at all but I told them if he reverted back to his rookie season other teams better watch out. Lee had started getting on my nerves the last season. Too many times i felt he was too busy girl watching and would get a late jump.

2. I loved picking up AJ. After that Hunter incident i just felt like we had no guts. We needed a guy with some cojones that wouldn't take anybody's crap. Someone with a chip on his shoulder.

I was shocked we werent ranked higher in preseason rankings. I for sure thought we were gonna take the division. After i saw the rankings i knew we were gonna surprise a lot of people. But I had no idea we would do what we have done so far. I still have a great feeling about this team and I know the best is yet to come!:gulp:

hawkjt
10-07-2005, 10:09 AM
I was a huge CLee fan and I was pissed at getting a guy that hit .243 with on-base of .314 for a run producer like Carlos. I was doom and gloom for the first time since 2000. I always looked at our subsequent seasons after 2000 as mainly an injury deal or we would have won like 5 straight.

2001- traded for wells and he got hurt along with all our pitching and most importantly frank.

2002- frank slow to recover and ritchie got hurt and sucked anyway.

2003- frank was great again but more injuries to pitching.

2004- maggs and frank went down or we win.

I really thought we had no shot this year with no run production. I am happy to eat crow . I have a new respect for the value of a true leadoff guy. Also pitching. That is why I think we have a chance for a good run with our pitchers signed and all with healthy arm history. No Sirotkas or Eldred in the group, hopefully. And with bad bobby we have a goose gossage type power closer that we need. Go sox.

TommyJohn
10-07-2005, 10:13 AM
As the deals were taking place I wrote that the White Sox with Ozzie Guillen
at the helm were in good shape to equal the franchise record of 56-106 set
in 1970. If you visit the preseason predictions, I picked them to go 74-88
and finish just ahead of the Royals. So there goes my credibility on the
subject.

Dark Cloud? Who? Me?:redface:

gosox83
10-07-2005, 10:17 AM
As the deals were taking place I wrote that the White Sox with Ozzie Guillen
at the helm were in good shape to equal the franchise record of 56-106 set
in 1970. If you visit the preseason predictions, I picked them to go 74-88
and finish just ahead of the Royals. So there goes my credibility on the
subject.

Dark Cloud? Who? Me?:redface:

I said honest only. Love it Tommy John ,,,that is HONEST...but

DON'T YOU LOVE BEING WRONG??

MisterB
10-07-2005, 10:18 AM
My reactions, in chronological order:

Hermanson - Then: Was shaky as Giants closer, but he won't be closing for the Sox because of Shingo. Nice BP upgrade. Now: Excellent signing, handled closing well.

Dye - Then: If he stays healthy, will offset a lot of losing Maggs. Now: Pretty much what I expected.

Pods/Viz for Lee - Then: Whoa. KW's serious about this overhaul. Gives us a leadoff man and improves the BP, but let's see how KW spends the money he freed up. Now: Pods' spark has helped stabilize and diversify the offense, but Vizcaino has been a letdown. See the next 3 for the money saved part...

El Duque - Then: A legitimate starter and NO MORE DANNY WRIGHT! Health may be a problem, though. Now: Not as good or as healthy as I'd hoped, but NO MORE DANNY WRIGHT!

Pierzynski - Then: Uhh...interesting. Should be decent offensively, but the guy's a total dick. Not so sure about this... Now: KW, sorry I doubted you on this one.

Iguchi - Then: Put up some good numbers in Japan, and he couldn't be worse than Wee Willie, can he? Now: EXCELLECT acquisition. Solid #2 hitter that does whatever's asked of him.

Madvora
10-07-2005, 10:19 AM
Pods---- Pods was one of the guys I heard of the year before because of all the stolen bases. He was definitely a guy I wanted on this team. I wasn't too happy about losing Lee, but I knew this team needed drastic changes and I accepted any change, as long as it wasn't the same team as the last 3 years. The more changes the better.

A.J. ----- I was happy when we first got him. Of course we were prepared because the rumors about him were circulating for about a month. I hated him before, but I thought he would be good for this team.

Iguchi ----- My heart was broken when the Sox missed the chance at getting David Eckstein at SS. I was super pissed when the Cardinals signed him. Once I heard about Iguchi, I was pulling for him more than anybody. This is the exact type of player I knew the Sox needed. They couldn't go into another season with Willie Harris as the starting 2nd baseman.

TommyJohn
10-07-2005, 10:23 AM
I said honest only. Love it Tommy John ,,,that is HONEST...but

DON'T YOU LOVE BEING WRONG??

Love it? To say I'm delighted would be an understatement. I predicted that
they would come close to equalling the team record for losses and they go
out and come close to equalling the team record for wins. I love it!

That being said, I am now strongly considering submitting my resume to
ESPN.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-07-2005, 10:27 AM
I'll just use the Lee trade for simplicity's sake.

1st. "How did you find out about the signing/trade." One of the local news stations, I think WBBM Channel 2.

2nd. "What was the first thing that went through your mind?" We'll miss the bat, but if they're going for speed and defense, this is the way to go. If it wasn't for Jose Valentin, Lee was the worst defensive player. He hot dogs too many fly balls. And who the hell is Luis Vizcaino?

3rd. "What do you think about it now???" I'm all in favor of it. Vizcaino was a nice toss-in. He's been reliable and is a great middle reliever that can chew up innings. I think it worked out for both sides.

batmanZoSo
10-07-2005, 10:41 AM

I liked every move we made over the winter, with increasing like for every move made untiul the season began. I knew we were putting together a winner.

maurice
10-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Podsednik -- I said "that's interesting," hoped that he could get his AVE back up, wondered who the PTBNL was, and wondered what KW would do with all the money he saved.

Pierzynski -- Not very optimistic, though he was a definite upgrade over Ben Davis. I hated Pierzynski when he was with the Twins, but I quickly changed my tune when I saw what a great job he did with the pitching staff, especially Garland.

Iguchi -- I wanted Polanco. Initially, I didn't know anything about Iguchi, but was very pleased when somebody dug up a Japanese highlight video. His opposite-field stroke and power were apparent on the video and very impressive.

Dye / Hermanson / Hernandez -- I didn't feel too strongly either way but was glad that KW had enough payroll space to add veteran depth. Obviously, that depth has paid off big time.

BeviBall!
10-07-2005, 10:44 AM
I was confused by the trade at first, but adopted a wait and see approach, since I figured KW would sign more players with the money saved. After the dust cleared, I was excited and optimistic for a wild card run.

I thought the signing of Herm was the best move of the off season.

Gooch... my thoughts were "it's not Willie... and that's a good thing".

Ol' No. 2
10-07-2005, 10:46 AM
How did I learn about the Podsednik/Lee trade? No one who was on WSI that day will ever forget it.:D:

soxfan26
10-07-2005, 10:48 AM
Pods/Vizcaino - :(:

AJ - :thumbsup:

Iguchi - :smile:

mdep524
10-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Pods- I was OK with trading Lee, but was hoping and expecting we could get a lot more back in return at the time. Pods intrigued me, but I didn't like Vizcaino. Acquiring Dye, Duque, AJ and Iguchi certainly took a lot of sting out of the "I wish we got more for Lee" sentiment.

AJ- At first I was against the signing (I wanted Mike Matheny.) But when the Sox passed on AJ for the first time some WSIers made great points about how AJ would give this team toughness, character and a good bat. So when he was eventually signed I was happy.

Iguchi- I was downright giddy about this move from day one. I just really really liked the prospect of a smart, talented, versatile infielder joining the Sox, and I had a great feeling he would excel in the States.

So, even at the time I was very happy and excited about the Sox offseason, though in my wildest dreams I don't know if I could have expected what we got!

wdelaney72
10-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Honestly, I was cautiosly optimistic. I was relieved that Kenny was trying a new approach. I wasn't convinced of the division championship, but I thought, "it's worth a try".

I do recall arguing with some before the season started that we looked to have one of the better starting pitching staffs in the AL (SP and bullpen).

Areas I was wrong:
1) I was a believer in Shingo. The league did catch up with him and he ended up not working out. Thank God for Hermanson and Jenks.

2) I wanted Matt Clement. I'm glad we didn't overpay for him, and I thought el Duque was a nice back-up plan. He's struggled at times, but still been an upgrade in the #5 hole. Garland's improvement helped offset some of that, as well.

3) Juan Uribe: He improved this year and is very underrated defensively. I'm now a big fan.

Kenny did a good job. He focused on Pitching, defense, and contact hitting as opposed to Power. It's proven to be a better approach. This team is setup to be a good contender next year as well.

TommyJohn
10-07-2005, 11:40 AM
I don't know why I'm putting this up here but

I seriously think that with Ozzie Guillen helming the club and guiding Williams in the trade mart, the White Sox' all-time one season nadir of 56-106
is in sight. :angry: :whiner: :angry: :whiner:

I posted that on December 14, 2004.

Dark Cloud? Who? Me?:?:

NWSox
10-07-2005, 01:14 PM
I was very supportive of the CLee trade but did not think it would pay immediate dividends. I thought the transformation of the team would take longer. I was not overly excited about the Dye signing - I thought he was barely adequate in RF. The AJP signing happened late and I remember being excited about it because catcher was a huge hole and this was a great risk to take. I thought the Iguchi signing was hit or miss but another reasonable risk to take. Same with El Duque.

I recall being disappointed by the Baseball Prospectus prediction of fourth place but I could easily imagine it happening. I was most concerned about run production. I knew the Sox would have a solid rotation. The interesting thing is that run production wasn't great and the pitching was better than expected but certainly within the realm of the possible. All the credit to KW and Ozzie. This formula was a huge success and I don't think this surprised them like it did the rest of us.

dividedsk717
10-07-2005, 01:28 PM
[QUOTE=gosox83]This question is regarding your initial reaction to putting this team together.

[QUOTE=gosox83]

Contreras Trade

1. Radio

2. "They're giving up on Loaiza already??"

3. Obviously, KW made the right call here. The fact that it panned out the way it did with Loaiza struggling in NY and being okay in Wash., along with Contreras becoming the number 1 Chicago has made it look like highway robbery.

Pods Trade

1. I think right here on WSI

2. The Sox didn't win anything WITH Carlos, so why not? Let's try something different and see what happens.

3. I'm glad KW took the chance! To me, this deal set the table for the entire season. It freed up the money, changed the mind set and put the focus squarely where it needs to be: pitching, defense and speed. Mashing didn't work for the Sox ... pitching, defense and speed has. And they still got 200 homeruns.

KW looks like a flippin' genius right now, that's all there is to it. :cool:

voodoochile
10-07-2005, 01:30 PM
I didn't love or hate the Pods trade. I thought it had big potential if the money saved went back into the team. It did so a few weeks later, I was very happy.

AJ was a bolt out of nowhere. I was ecstatic. I thought his bat alone would make him a huge addition to a team that looked to be needing an offensive boost. His handling of the pitching staff and tough guy attitude has made him a favorite.

Iguchi I was cautiously optimistic. I figured he couldn't be worse than Harris and his upside was huge. He exceeded my expectations and his defense has been simply the cherry on the sundae.

I thought the Sox were going to have a solid year and that finally having 5 quality starters would make them a playoff contender. Obviously the team has exceeded even those expectations and that makes me :D:

mweflen
10-07-2005, 01:32 PM

Found out on WSI and Whitesox.com.

First thing that went through my mind: They'd better get a catcher and a 5th starter with the leftover money. I had been hoping for Varitek and Lieber, but was pleased if a bit cautious with AJ/Duque.

Of course I like it now. But I liked it then, too, when it was revealed that we'd be getting Iguchi, AJ and El Duque with the leftover money.

Dan H
10-07-2005, 01:54 PM
I certainly was for a change in direction, but had doubts that these players were the ones to do it. I was wrong and am happy to be wrong. It is so rare a group of new players can contribute like Pods, Dye, Iguchi, and AJ. Kenny Williams did a great job.

kaufsox
10-07-2005, 01:56 PM
What a great thread and it's great to see such honesty. Not a lot of "oh I saw it the whole time" hard to believe anyone saw this much success. So in the tradition of full disclosure:

The trade: I liked it. Honestly, I thought either Paulie or CLee would be traded and I was hoping it would be Paulie. I just felt CLee was a little more consistent, Paulie seems much more streaky. Anyway, Pods seemed ok. I actually hope they move a little further to the speed/OBP vein of offense.

AJ: loved it from day one. He reminds me of Bill Lambeer(sp) Hate the guy on the opposing team, love him on yours. He seemed and proved to be an upgrade at catcher. Also a little love for Chris Widger. Man talk about a out of the blue move that really worked.

Dye: I thought, if he stays healthy, great. But honestly, I thought he was going to play 50-60 games tops and be on the DL for the rest of the year. So glad to be wrong.

Guch: Loved it as well. I really wish MLB would look more to the Asian leagues for talent. It really seems like an untapped market. I thought that it was a safe bet.

Overall: I thought it looked like a .500 or so team, with luck might get to 90-93 wins which for the most part is near the top of the division and in the race. I thought it was a three horse race Min, Sox, Cle. Detroit was not going to have it. I figured the luckiest team of those three (less injuries, breaks etc.) would win the division. So 1, 2, or 3 seemed very realistic for this team. So glad to be wrong :rolleyes:

kitekrazy
10-07-2005, 02:10 PM
I was bothered about what happened in the off season until I heard some baseball experts comment what a great job Kenny Williams did in the offseason.

I had to look on the bright side. For a few years we watched overpriced mediocrity. When you looked at the Sox on paper, you just kept wondering why the Twins kept winning the division. The other positive was not resigning Jose V.-the poster boy for overpriced mediocrity.

Plus getting a decent starter so Garland would truly be the 5th man gave me hopes. What is interesting is part of the Sox success this season is our so called 5th starter became an 18 game winner. When that happens to any club it's the difference between finishing 3rd or 1st.

I didn't like Lee being traded but we got 2 guys out of it and once again experts were talking about the bullpen for the Sox before the Spring training ever started. I figured some of that would be trade bait, but it didn't happen that way.

Getting Dye, I didn't know what to think. It's interesting that many injured guys who sign with the Sox actually become healthy. I think the Sox have the best rainer in baseball.

A.J. Well we needed a catcher. He's a former Twin so he's probably got some fundamentals down. I think his attitude was overhyped.

DaleJRFan
10-07-2005, 02:27 PM
Iguchi -- I wanted Polanco. Initially, I didn't know anything about Iguchi, but was very pleased when somebody dug up a Japanese highlight video. His opposite-field stroke and power were apparent on the video and very impressive.

I wanted Polanco as well. I thought to myself, "oh no... another Kaz Matsui." Thank God I was dead wrong.

As for the CLee/ScoPo trade, I was never a Carlos Lee fan, but I was sad to see him go. But we needed a leadoff man and salary to go out and make more moves. I was rellay excited about Luis Vizcaino. The more bullpen arms, the better. We got a great leadoff man with Pods and he has been a BIG part of this magic season. A lot of fans have really taken to him, one of those fans being me. Remember the All-Star voting???

As for Hermanson, same as above. More quality bullpen arms = more playoff chances. I had no idea he would be as important to the team as he has been. AWESOME pickup.

AJ - I was a little disapointed simply because I thought he was a tool before the season and was afraid he would rub his teammates the wrong way. He did the exact opposite. WOW. Some say PK is the team leader in the clubhouse. Its obvious by watching games that AJ is the ON-FIELD leader.

Dye - Anything would have been better than Timo/LTP in 2004. I was excited to see that he came here over other teams offering him more $$$. This was the one trade/move that I was pretty confident about.

El Duque - WOW, a real #5 starter, awesome. I knew he'd have a few visits to the DL, but so what... anything's better than what we ran out there every fifth day last year. Plus, I knew having him around Contreras would be HUGE.

All in all a SOLID off season blowing up the team and seemingly starting over. 99 wins later, no one is questioning KW. Can't wait for the KENNY - KENNY chants at Sox fest! :redneck

WSoxFanForever
10-07-2005, 02:53 PM
I also thought we gave up too much power, but decided to give it a chance before flipping out. Since I'm also quite a big Brewer fan with ties to Wisconsin, I had a chance to watch both this season. Milwaukee had a very good year and finally went .500, but not because of Carlos. I think it was a better trade for the W Sox, in the end. Carlos is very streaky and doesn't always look like he's putting out his best effort. He loves to stare at his homeruns. I think MIlwaukee may let him go and be an even better team next year, with all their young talent. Pods CAN'T go!!!

Chisox003
10-07-2005, 03:32 PM

I had a friend of mine call me about the Caballo for Pods trade...Quite simply, I was PISSED! I ranted for days on how it's impossible to turn this team into a defensive/speed oriented club because we play 81 games at one of the best hitters parks in the A.L.

After a few weeks though, and rumors of Gooch, AJ, and Duque all coming true (all signed with that $$ from the CLee trade, no less) I began to realize where KW was going with this team and what he and Ozzie actually had in mind with "Grinder baseball"

Needless to say, although I thought they'd be good, I don't think any of us could have predicted this team coming together like this (without Hurt!) and being SO good.

I love the way this team plays, and I couldn't be happier for them and us...It's only just begun, me thinks

Hagan
10-07-2005, 03:49 PM

1. when I first saw the trade for pods I thought that it was a horrid trade and I thought that kenny was a horrible gm for about a day then I realized how much money we were saving and then I didnt think it was that bad of a deal but I still thought we could have gotten more at the time. Now I think the trade was a good one for both teams. We needed a good base stealer who could lead off.

2. I loved the signing of AJ and Iguichi from day one! We got a good defensive and hitting catcher, something the sox have not had for awhile. Same deal with 2nd base. Since Ray was traded to the As we have not really had a good 2ndbaseman, so I was really excited about these two moves. Even if Iguichi doesnt do well we had willie to play 2nd who we would have settled for anyway. I loved the 2 signings then and I love them now!

bafiarocks03
10-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Pods: I heard it from on here..I was pisted!! Omg! cuz you know i love Carlos and I couldn't believe Kenny would do something like that. And to be honest, I absolutly hated Scotty. I even booed him at SoxFest when they announced him. I feel bad about that! I love ya Scotty! lol

Iguchi: Again White Sox.com! I hated him, I hated the trade! I was furious cuz Willie was supposed to be the started. Ya'll know that story. So i still hate Iguchi all up till Game 2. He hit that homer, he gained my respect.

A.J: On here. THe A.J. trade I was fine with! Even though I knew that ment Ben or Jamie would go down. THat was fine. ANd i love A.J! So ya.

goofymsfan
10-07-2005, 05:29 PM
I was happy to see Scotty move back to the AL so I'd get more chances to see him play when they faced the Mariners. Unfortunately, he was injuried and on a rehab assignment during the one and only trip to Safeco. I was happy to see how quickly the White Sox fans took to him. I know that losing Lee was a bit of a blow, but after watching the homerun derby live at Safeco, I got so I knew why the casual fan would think baseball was boring. Sitting and waiting for the 3-run homers is not exciting. Sure when they happen they are nice, but waiting for them isn't. I love the cat and mouse games a runner and pitcher can play not to mention the mind games and trying to break up the timing at the plate. The type of baseball the Sox have played this year has been fun and exciting to watch.

pudge
10-07-2005, 07:35 PM
I personally loved the off-season moves and the philosophy shift. My feeling was, "We weren't winning jack with power, so why not try something else."

I was in a training class when I checked WSI and saw the monster CLee/Pods thread. I was excited, mainly because I thought Vizcaino was a sleeper in that deal (turned out to be not so true, but hey the trade worked anyway!).

I was at the library surfing the net when we got El Duque - loved adding depth to the rotation.

I wish I still had the email, but I told some friends, "Let's get AJ and Iguchi to round out this team and we're set."

KW did it, and here we are baby!!

Stroker Ace
10-07-2005, 07:38 PM
Exactly what I told people in the offseason, " We're starting to look like the 2003 Marlins with McKeon."

Red Barchetta
10-07-2005, 07:44 PM
I was very excited with the make-over. All elements. I had grown tired of the previous all-or-nothing team and knew we had to break it up and start over. I never in my wildest dreams thought the new core and philosophy would mesh this fast.

I know we give the SOX brass a hard time, however sometimes they do deserve credit. This is one of those times. Whenever they move a player that I like, it usually turns out for the best within a year. Remember Josh Fogg? What happended to Alex Fernandez and Wilson Alvarez?

I was the first to cheer when we broke up the Lee, Valentin, Ordonez, Alomar led team. The way Minnesota played that group like a fiddle the past three years was tough to watch. The current team has way more mental toughness!

JB98
10-07-2005, 07:52 PM
I didn't like the Lee trade. I confess. I didn't like giving up all that run production. I did think Vizcaino would bring some depth to our bullpen. Really, he had a mediocre year, so I was wrong on all counts.

Loved the move to get AJ.

Loved the move to get Hermanson.

El Duque, I was OK with. I figured he'd help us this year, although I questioned the decision to give him a two-year deal. Still though, I was pleased that the days of Felix Diaz and Danny Wright were over.

I was skeptical on Iguchi, but I was willing to give him a chance. I already knew Willie Harris could not get the job done. I was in the "anybody but Willie" camp.

Dye: I thought, "If he could just stay healthy, he'll hit 30 HRs in our park." He stayed healthy, and he hit 30 HRs.

eastchicagosoxfan
10-07-2005, 07:53 PM

I was thrilled with the deal for Pods. We had too many Carlos Lee players on the team.
I was happy with the El Duque signing, although I thought he might be more effective out of the pen, as a closer.
I didn't want AJ, as I viewed him as trouble. Turns out trouble is spelled G-R-I-N-D-E-R.
I don't recall my reaction to Gooch.

KW put together a great roster, and Ozzie has demonstrated an uncanny knack to find solid bench players. Last year Burke and Gload, this year it's Pablo and Widger.

boiker
10-07-2005, 07:58 PM
1. Dye - I was very happy knowing how he always seemed to be clutch or have a hot bat against the sox. I felt he could fill mag's position nicely.

2. AJ - worried about his "history", but loved the fact we we're getting a gamer.

3. Pods - Actually, quite happy. I was hearing a lot of rumours about C.Lee's clubhouse attitude and have always wanted to see a return to speed. I miss watching lead-off hitters like vince coleman.

4. Hermanson - sounded like an adequate bullpen pickup, he outperformed my expectations.

5. El Duque - although injured alot and questions of his age. I thought this was the difference maker trade. I was thrilled with this pickup.

6. The Gooch - Very excited of this prospect. Japaneese players seem to fit the mold I want for my White Sox. Grinder..

Back in early march I called the Sox winning their division by two over the twins with the Indians a close third. 94 wins was my call. This team has surpassed all that I could have expected and look stronger and stronger every day.

flo-B-flo
10-07-2005, 08:29 PM
C Lee for WHO?

Dye? Injured list

AJ! To me, the biggest thing KW did. Awesome job with the pitchers. Good stick. Tough guy who'll LEAD. Every good team has a great catcher.

Guch: Lotsa good baseball players in Japan. There was a good buzz going about him. The guy can flat play. I'm guessing the best is yet to come.

KW gets Jenks. First time I saw him I said where the hell did they get this guy? What an arm!

A. Cavatica
10-07-2005, 08:43 PM
1st. I guess I found out online. Don't remember much except WSI was hopping.

2nd. I approved, but I thought it was a pretty big gamble. I had been calling for a PK or Lee trade for over a year, and using the money to fill other holes. I would've preferred to trade PK, but I thought we'd get more for Lee, so I was fine with what we gave up. I was not sure Podsednik would hit, but I knew that if he did it would be a great trade. I was also pretty excited about getting Viz.

Of course, I didn't know who we'd be getting for the money we saved at the time.

3rd. Must be one of the two or three best trades in Sox history. PK had a better year than Lee, without question. I'm still not sure exactly who Lee's salary paid for (vs. Magglio's and the payroll increase), but when Pods gets on base, we win. Viz has been really good since June or so. Iguchi, AJ, and Duque were all huge in this series. I don't think Harris, Davis, and Grilli would've done as well.

SoxEd
10-07-2005, 09:01 PM

Oh man, how do they feel now?

Optipessimism
10-07-2005, 09:18 PM
With the trade I thought we lost a lot of valuable power, but I was very excited to see this team in one move bolster the bullpen, improve the defense, add a true leadoff man, and save salary. The Lee-Pods/Viz trade was a little snowball that just got larger and larger as it rolled towards the pitchers and catchers report, picking up Hermanson, AJ, Dye, Pierzynski, Iguchi, and El Duque along the way. I have never ever been so thrilled with the one single offseason as KW finally addressed every one of our largest holes and put together a team that Ozzie would be able to do a good job with.

As for expectations, I didn't think we'd be this good at all. I expected us to be a much improved team but still be one more offseason away from having a chance to win it all. But, to my surprise, Garland picked it up, Contreras (even though I thought he was going to be good) picked it up, Jenks (who scared me at first) was a godsend, and Cotts and Politte made this bullpen nasty.

That said, this season could have been shot dead early if there were significant injuries with our pitching staff, so I think a TON of credit is due to Herm Schneider, Ozzie, and the rest of the crew for keeping this team for the most part healthy and rested. I think the combined effort of KW, Ozzie, Brooks Boyer, the coaching staff, Dave Wilder, and everyone else on down the line has been phenomenal. Now are the Sox not only primed for much success in the postseason here in 2005, but they are left with a team full of smart baseball players who give it their all and play a solid fundamental game. From moves beginning with the acquistions of Politte and Uribe in 2004 preseason all the way through 2005, a core has been established that will give this team a real chance in the playoffs for years to come.

Congrulations all!!!

A. Cavatica
10-07-2005, 09:22 PM
Now that I've read the whole thread I realize I was supposed to comment on more than just the Lee trade. So here goes...

Ozzie - hated it. I've written enough about this elsewhere. Am willing to forgive the man's disregard for the odds as long as he has the loaded dice. Was almost ready to use the Fire Ozzie tag after the Marte incident tonight.

Contreras - hated it. Thought he was a head case, too expensive, too wild. Was not ready to give up on Loaiza. :redface:

Garcia - loved getting Garcia, lamented giving up so much but accepted that KW had to do it. Glad we re-signed him. Wished we could've given up Borchard instead of Reed. Still think Reed & Olivo have bright futures, but as it stands now this was lopsided in our favor. :redface:

Hermanson - hated it. Thought Hermanson was long relief material, thought he was overpaid for that role, was worried he'd be the #5 starter, and was worried that it would be our one big offseason move. Didn't really trust Shingo his second time around, but didn't think Hermanson had what it took to close. :redface:

Dye - liked it. Thought it was cost effective, liked the experience and the Gold Glove. Still like it, though Dye had a couple of cold streaks this season that kept him from really having a monster year.

AJ, Hernandez, Iguchi - loved these signings. Didn't see much down side at all.

Ozuna - not much of an opinion when he was a non-roster invitee, but after he scorched the Cactus League, I was delighted to have him aboard.

Widger - not much of an opinion either way. I wasn't a big fan of Davis or Burke, but I didn't think Widger could hit. He made a good impression early.

Blum - was not impressed. Still not impressed.

Jenks - hated it, and I'm just talking about the minor league signing, not bringing him up to close. I knew very little about Jenks except that he threw 100, was wild, and had a lot of growing up to do. Right now I love him, but is he going to implode next year? Could be Rivera II, could be Koch II.