PDA

View Full Version : Rich Daley Knows How the Trib Operates

tebman
10-07-2005, 09:25 AM
I haven't seen this posted anywhere yet, but in Friday's Sun-Times there's a story (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-nws-resolve07.html) about yesterday's City Council meeting. Some laughs, a resolution supporting the Sox, rally towels passed out, etc. But here's the most significant quote:
But the mayor later acknowledged that Chicago is still a Cubs town. "How can you compete with the Chicago Tribune? Give me a break. They own the Cubs. They own WGN radio, TV, CLTV, Tribune. It's hard to compete. . . . You think you're gonna get any publicity -- for the White Sox? You can't," he said.

jackbrohamer
10-07-2005, 09:46 AM
:knue

"The Mayor's obviously another conspiracy freak."

maurice
10-07-2005, 09:54 AM
The Trib put on the full-court press in response to the Mayor's obviously true comment, assigning attack dog Gary Washburn to the article (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-0510070321oct07,1,1386619.story?coll=cs-home-headlines). As usual, Gary acts the stooge and toes the party line without any analysis:
George de Lama, the Chicago Tribune's deputy managing editor for news, disagreed with Daley about the newspaper's coverage of his team. "With all due respect to the mayor, the White Sox's great run this season is the biggest sports story of the year in Chicago, and we are enthusiastically playing it on Page One and in the sports section," de Lama said.

See, the problem here, George, is that "the White Sox's great run" has been "the biggest sports story" all year, yet you only began emphasizing it after a vastly inferior Cub team was eliminated from contention. Indeed, you reported that the Cubs were going to the playoffs long after every non-Trib owned media outlet reasonably determined that they had no chance. Your example of page-1 Sox coverage several days after the Cub season has ended is spectacularly unconvincing.

Moreover, your editors ensured that the Sox amazingly successful season was covered in the most negative light possible, including a series of headlines using the word "choke" -- notwithstanding the fact that the Sox won 99 games, won their division by 6 games, clinched the division with 3 games left, and clinched home field throughout the playoffs. You also insisted on comparing the Sox to famous "chokers" throughout history, including today's article about the 1984 Cubs. You also take every opportunity to dig up old, irrelevant stories re. current Sox players, including today's Everett story which simply regurgitated the Everett story you printed yesterday.

The evidence compiled on this site is irrefutable. The Trib media empire actively promotes an inferior Cub team and actively trashes a Sox team with the best record in the AL. The Chicago Tribune is the worst offender of all. Daley is 100% correct, and any statements to the contrary are lies designed to protect your own financial interests.

Mr. Washburn also included this interesting snippet:
"I feel that there's been a concentrated effort to give the White Sox increased recognition," Roland Hemond, a former White Sox general manager, said of the Tribune's handling of the team's run for the American League crown. "It has been inspired for me to come to town this week and see the coverage, which has benefited the White Sox greatly," said Hemond, who now serves as executive advisor to the current GM, Ken Williams.

Yes, there currently is increased coverage of the White Sox. There are two reasons for this development: (1) the Sox are the only game in town now that the Cubs literally have stopped playing any games; and (2) the typical coverage of the Sox was so obviously inadequate that the Trib needed to make a "concentrated effort" to provide even marginally adequate coverage of the playoffs. You expect to be lauded for this? *****.

I'll give you one of these instead:
:giantsnail

cheeses_h_rice
10-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Don't be silly. There is no difference in the way the Tribune treats the Cubs and Sox.

In fact, next time the Sox are 7th or 8th in line for the Wild Card, playing below .500 with 3 weeks left to play, I'm absolutely 100% positive the Tribune will include the White Sox in their AL Wild Card standings, just like they did with the Cubs this year.

:rolleyes: (no teal necessary, is there?)

tebman
10-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Don't be silly. There is no difference in the way the Tribune treats the Cubs and Sox.

In fact, next time the Sox are 7th or 8th in line for the Wild Card, playing below .500 with 3 weeks left to play, I'm absolutely 100% positive the Tribune will include the White Sox in their AL Wild Card standings, just like they did with the Cubs this year.

:rolleyes: (no teal necessary, is there?)
For which statement? :D:

Vernam
10-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Yes, there currently is increased coverage of the White Sox. There are two reasons for this development: (1) the Sox are the only game in town now that the Cubs literally have stopped playing any games; and (2) the typical coverage of the Sox was so obviously inadequate that the Trib needed to make a "concentrated effort" to provide even marginally adequate coverage of the playoffs. You expect to be lauded for this? *****.I luuv when you guys go off on the Trib . . . For some reason, that rag's treatment of the Sox is a source of endless fascination to me.

Did you see Chicago Tonight yesterday, where Dan Bernstein took the opportunity -- with McGrath seated right next to him -- to rip the Trib for that enormous "CHOKE HOLD" headline during the last week of the season? Bernstein asked McGrath if they'd used the c-word even once in a headline during the Cubs' 2004 collapse. McGrath had a one-word answer: "No."

The fact that the Trib is covering the Sox intensely right now does not negate the crap they've pulled in the past or will no doubt pull again. They know the national media are paying attention now, and for their East Coast brethren, they're making a show of how "fair" they are to the Sox.

If anything, the bias will only get worse once the Sox win a title. The Trib has basically treated us the way Bill Gates has treated Apple -- Steve Jobs was useful as a prop to show that Microsoft doesn't have 100-percent monopoly power in that particular arena. But when Apple starts stepping beyond its meagre share of the market by, for example, selling the world's most popular MP3 player, then Gates takes off the gloves.

We haven't seen anything yet. And somehow, I'm looking forward to it, partly because the Sox have hired people who understand the team's place in Chicago but aren't satisfied with that place.

Vernam

Ol' No. 2
10-07-2005, 12:21 PM
I luuv when you guys go off on the Trib . . . For some reason, that rag's treatment of the Sox is a source of endless fascination to me.

Did you see Chicago Tonight yesterday, where Dan Bernstein took the opportunity -- with McGrath seated right next to him -- to rip the Trib for that enormous "CHOKE HOLD" headline during the last week of the season? Bernstein asked McGrath if they'd used the c-word even once in a headline during the Cubs' 2004 collapse. McGrath had a one-word answer: "No."

The fact that the Trib is covering the Sox intensely right now does not negate the crap they've pulled in the past or will no doubt pull again. They know the national media are paying attention now, and for their East Coast brethren, they're making a show of how "fair" they are to the Sox.

If anything, the bias will only get worse once the Sox win a title. The Trib has basically treated us the way Bill Gates has treated Apple -- Steve Jobs was useful as a prop to show that Microsoft doesn't have 100-percent monopoly power in that particular arena. But when Apple starts stepping beyond its meagre share of the market by, for example, selling the world's most popular MP3 player, then Gates takes off the gloves.

We haven't seen anything yet. And somehow, I'm looking forward to it, partly because the Sox have hired people who understand the team's place in Chicago but aren't satisfied with that place.

VernamRipping the Trib has become almost too easy. The deeper the Sox go into the playoffs the more desperately the Trib tries to spin. The Sox making the World Series would be their worst nightmare. And I'm loving every minute of it.:smile:

maurice
10-07-2005, 01:06 PM
Dan Bernstein took the opportunity -- with McGrath seated right next to him -- to rip the Trib for that enormous "CHOKE HOLD" headline during the last week of the season [and] asked McGrath if they'd used the c-word even once in a headline during the Cubs' 2004 collapse. McGrath had a one-word answer: "No."

Nice work, Dan. Keep it up.

StillMissOzzie
10-07-2005, 06:46 PM
Ripping the Trib has become almost too easy. The deeper the Sox go into the playoffs the more desperately the Trib tries to spin. The Sox making the World Series would be their worst nightmare. And I'm loving every minute of it.:smile:

No ****. Ever notice how big those "You write the Cubune headline?" (I, II, & III, too!!) threads get now? And yes, I am LOVIN' IT too!

SMO
:D:

SOXSINCE'70
10-08-2005, 09:05 AM
Hizzoner forgot about how the Cub-Une has a holding in
Comcast.At least they give the Sox their due.Their pre and post
game shows are in depth and second to none (at least on TV).

I am loving watching every sCrUBS fan at work squirm over the
Sox success thus far.And it's all that much sweeter watching my
brother in law and all his sCrUBbie friends sweat out this post season.
:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

fusillirob1983
10-09-2005, 02:47 PM
Hizzoner forgot about how the Cub-Une has a holding in
Comcast.At least they give the Sox their due.Their pre and post
game shows are in depth and second to none (at least on TV).

I am loving watching every sCrUBS fan at work squirm over the
Sox success thus far.And it's all that much sweeter watching my
brother in law and all his sCrUBbie friends sweat out this post season.
:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

I think the 5 major sports teams in Chicago have some holding in Comcast, so the Sox obviously do too. But I agree, Comcast has pretty solid coverage.