PDA

View Full Version : Another ESPN guy on the White Sox bandwagon

elrod
10-07-2005, 09:24 AM
First there was Eric Neel. Now there is David Schoenfield.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=second/guessing/2005

He admits he doubted the White Sox down the stretch, for good and for stupid reasons. But now he's beyond those doubts. It's funny reading articles like this about the White Sox.

SweetnesSox
10-07-2005, 09:28 AM
I dunno if any of you guys ever go to the yahoo sports site, but they have these videos you watch where "sports guys" make their picks and predictions about stuff. I was watching the one about the White Sox/Red Sox ALDS, and they had the host, Ryne Sandberg and some loser, and at the end the host was like "ok random guy, red sox in how many?" and he was like "four" and then the host was like "Ryno, red sox in how many?" and hes like "actually (moron) I like the White Sox in this one (obviously) because pitching wins playoff games (anyone who's seen a baseball playoff series knows that)." I was laughing so hard because I love when people write us off.

P.S. looks like Red Sox in four was the wrong pick :)

bennyw41
10-07-2005, 09:43 AM
At least he's admitting his mistake.

Iguana775
10-07-2005, 09:46 AM
I dunno if any of you guys ever go to the yahoo sports site, but they have these videos you watch where "sports guys" make their picks and predictions about stuff. I was watching the one about the White Sox/Red Sox ALDS, and they had the host, Ryne Sandberg and some loser, and at the end the host was like "ok random guy, red sox in how many?" and he was like "four" and then the host was like "Ryno, red sox in how many?" and hes like "actually (moron) I like the White Sox in this one (obviously) because pitching wins playoff games (anyone who's seen a baseball playoff series knows that)." I was laughing so hard because I love when people write us off.

P.S. looks like Red Sox in four was the wrong pick :)

Good job, Ryno! keep it real. lol. even though you're an ex-cub.... :bandance:

oeo
10-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Kiss of death.

kevingrt
10-07-2005, 11:25 AM
At least he's admitting his mistake.

That's the best part of watching these national media people. They are actually admitting to their mistakes about their predictions of the White Sox. I can't wait till we clinch the ALDS (knock on wood). I want to hear what Berman says about us ousting the BoSox.

Flight #24
10-07-2005, 11:44 AM
Intersting note on Manny & Ortiz hitting a significant percentage of their HRs off of the pretty bad pitchers in Tampa & Texas. Apparently against all teams not named "Devil Rays" and "Rangers", the BoSox only averaged 5 runs/game. That's still more than the White Sox, but it's a significant dropoff from their overall average.

credefan24
10-07-2005, 11:45 AM
I saw, screw all these ESPN talking heads. They weren't with us in April, they aren't with us now!

Only 4 hours, I'm so excited/nervous/anxious/hungry... (it's almost lunch!)

Lets go WHITE SOX!!!

SweetnesSox
10-07-2005, 12:40 PM
I think Ryno was good in getting behind us. He said something about the fans in Chicago deserving a winning team. Which is very true. The Cub fans shoulda jumped ship a long time ago. TOO LATE NOW! :whiner:

my5thbench
10-07-2005, 01:21 PM
Ryno has shown on several occassions that he has alot of class

regardless of what team he once played for...I've read some of

his yahoo stuff this season & it has been quite informative...he

knows what good pitching can mean

DaleJRFan
10-07-2005, 01:28 PM
Intersting note on Manny & Ortiz hitting a significant percentage of their HRs off of the pretty bad pitchers in Tampa & Texas. Apparently against all teams not named "Devil Rays" and "Rangers", the BoSox only averaged 5 runs/game. That's still more than the White Sox, but it's a significant dropoff from their overall average.

Exactly. close to 20% of Ortiz's homers are off of the Devil Rays' staff.

Their offense is great, but not super-duper, we'll-just-outslug-you-no-matter-what great. They led the AL with 900 runs (5.6 per game), but -- and this is a but the size of David Ortiz (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5909)'s rear end -- take away their 19 games against the Devil Rays (6.7 runs per game) and their nine games against the Rangers (7.9 runs per game) and they averaged 5.2 runs per game. Big Papi hit 10 of his 47 HRs against Tampa pitching, Manny hit eight against the Rays. You get the picture.

The only guy in their line-up that really scares me is Veritek. Whenever he has come to the dish with guys on against the Sox, he HURTS us.

SoxRulecubsdrool
10-07-2005, 01:42 PM
I saw, screw all these ESPN talking heads. They weren't with us in April, they aren't with us now!

Only 4 hours, I'm so excited/nervous/anxious/hungry... (it's almost lunch!)

Lets go WHITE SOX!!!

I agree 100%. I just caught John "cookie monster" Kruk saying earlier today about the Astros/Braves series that pitching, defense and speed is what wins it in the playoffs. But on the other hand, Boston is by no means out of this.

Anything can happen but you would think that some of these guys would get off the White Sox bashing by now. I know a few have but not many.

skottyj242
10-07-2005, 01:57 PM
I can't believe all it took was two convincing wins for ESPN "experts" to hop on the bandwagon. Seriously, someone said it earlier they weren't talking about us in April or even July, screw 'em.

ATXBMX
10-07-2005, 03:06 PM
This was on Page 2, trust me, they didn't mean it.

elrod
10-07-2005, 03:07 PM
Exactly. close to 20% of Ortiz's homers are off of the Devil Rays' staff.

The only guy in their line-up that really scares me is Veritek. Whenever he has come to the dish with guys on against the Sox, he HURTS us.

Varitek is not starting today. Mirabelli catches Wakefield. Mirabelli's not a bad hitter either, but he isn't Varitek.