PDA

View Full Version : Running on Wakefield

bludupree
10-07-2005, 09:01 AM
I believe we faced Wakefield twice this year, but I don't remember if scottie was playing during these games. If he gets on base he should really be able to either run all over Wakefield or really get him to throw his fastball frequently. Does anyone remember if Pods was playing and on base against him before?

DumpJerry
10-07-2005, 09:03 AM
I agree. I remember when we had Charlie Hough, I would go get a beer and hot dog between the time the ball left his hand and when it crossed the plate.......

I was too young to drink beer when we had Wilbur Wood.

ode to veeck
10-07-2005, 09:04 AM
This is even a better idea than bunting to get Boomer off the mound, especially if they leave Veritek in the lineup for his hot bat tonight, cause he's generally not the best at catching all those knuckleballs ... send 'em all (well maybe be a little judicious with Paulie)

eriqjaffe
10-07-2005, 09:15 AM
The Sox hit 5 homers off of Wakefield in 12 1/3 innings this year, and Wakefield has given up 1.7 HRs per 9 innings in Boston this season...Freddy Garcia has yet to pitch against Boston this year.

Just some food for thought.

harwar
10-07-2005, 09:24 AM
It all depends on if Wakefield has his really good knuckleball working.
If not we will hit him hard.If he has it jumping it could be a difficult time of it.
I think they have to be patient at first to see if its hopping and if he can throw stikes with it.

Ol' No. 2
10-07-2005, 09:25 AM
It's all or nothing with Wakefield. Generally the Sox have hit him pretty well, but they're either going to beat the snot out of him or they won't touch him.

Jul 22: 5.2 IP, 9 H, 7 ER, 3 HR
Aug 13: 6.2 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 2 HR

Podsednik didn't reach base against Wakefield in the first game and he didn't play in the Aug 13 game.

cleanwsox
10-07-2005, 09:30 AM
I think somewhere between 2 and 7 runs is where they will fall today. If Freddy can hold them to 4 runs or less, we should have an easy W.

1951Campbell
10-07-2005, 09:32 AM
This is even a better idea than bunting to get Boomer off the mound, especially if they leave Veritek in the lineup for his hot bat tonight, cause he's generally not the best at catching all those knuckleballs ... send 'em all (well maybe be a little judicious with Paulie)

I can't remember Varitek ever starting with Wakefield on the mound.

bludupree
10-07-2005, 09:40 AM
I think somewhere between 2 and 7 runs is where they will fall today. If Freddy can hold them to 4 runs or less, we should have an easy W.

That's a pretty wide margin....I'll guess 5 or 6

mjmcend
10-07-2005, 09:42 AM
More food for thought:

Wakefield
WHIP BAA
vs. Lefties 1.02 .202
vs, Righties 1.40 .278

This a one pitcher that our right-handed heavy lineup comes in handy for.

Chez
10-07-2005, 09:45 AM
I recall having problems with Wakefield the first time through the line-up and then solving him the second time through. Freddy needs to hold the fort for the first two innings and we'll be fine.

Paulwny
10-07-2005, 09:59 AM
Weather conditions affect knuckle balls. The least amount of wind resistance the better for the sox. Hope for low humidity and the wind blowing in toward home plate.

PatK
10-07-2005, 10:12 AM
The only way Varitek plays today is if a relief pitcher comes in, or if Ortiz plays first, so he could DH.

chopperjc
10-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Just a thought..... didn't Greg Walker hit the hell out on the knuckleball? I seem to remeber that. Maybe that is why we have some guys that kill Wakefield. Also I hope we hire the same guy the yanks did to throw batting practice.

peeonwrigley
10-07-2005, 10:52 AM
The only way Varitek plays today is if a relief pitcher comes in, or if Ortiz plays first, so he could DH.

I would love a Varitek free game... but I think they'll find a way to work him in there. He has played too well against the Sox to keep him on the bench with their backs against the wall.

Ol' No. 2
10-07-2005, 11:00 AM
The only way Varitek plays today is if a relief pitcher comes in, or if Ortiz plays first, so he could DH.If I were in Francona's shoes, I'd seriously consider this. They have to pull out all the stops.

10-07-2005, 11:07 AM
Scotty didn't play in the game in Boston, where Wakefiled won, that was the start of his 15 day DL...in the game in Chicago, when we pounded him, he got his 50th steal that night.

Norberto7
10-07-2005, 11:28 AM
I recall having problems with Wakefield the first time through the line-up and then solving him the second time through.

That's nice. How many hits did you end up with?

ode to veeck
10-07-2005, 11:32 AM
That's nice. How many hits did you end up with?

LOL! and send Ozzie an email on your secrets while you're at it!

ode to veeck
10-07-2005, 11:33 AM
If I were in Francona's shoes, I'd seriously consider this. They have to pull out all the stops.

It could be an interesting lineup, cause they have to respect Freddie's prowess

bigdommer
10-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Any word on if the Sox brought in a knuckleballer to throw BP? Apparently the Yankee$ did that before they face him last weekend and they pounded Wakefield.

Flight #24
10-07-2005, 11:40 AM
Any word on if the Sox brought in a knuckleballer to throw BP? Apparently the Yankee$ did that before they face him last weekend and they pounded Wakefield.

Papers today said no, they didn't want to do any long-term damage to guys swings. Not sure why 1 BP session would be that much worse than just facing him in the game tho.

The_Floridian
10-07-2005, 11:47 AM
For what it's worth, as far as running goes, 28 steals were attempted on Mirabelli this season. He caught 8 of them.

That's a far cry from last year when he only threw out 8 of 54, but still pretty good numbers in favor of our runners.

soxfanreggie
10-07-2005, 11:51 AM
My prediction...if Scotty Pods can get on a few times, he'll have 2 SB's...

Perfect thing would be for him to get on, steal 2nd, Gooch bunt him over and force them to either walk our 3 hole and face Paulie or pitch to our 3 guy with Pods on 3rd. Would be a great start to the game, but Scotty Pods can't steal unless he gets on base.

bludupree
10-07-2005, 11:55 AM
Papers today said no, they didn't want to do any long-term damage to guys swings. Not sure why 1 BP session would be that much worse than just facing him in the game tho.

1 Thing about bringing in one for BP that would worry me would be if they then decided to start schilling or something.

Ol' No. 2
10-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Scotty didn't play in the game in Boston, where Wakefiled won, that was the start of his 15 day DL...in the game in Chicago, when we pounded him, he got his 50th steal that night.The steal was off Gonzalez. Podsednik didn't reach base against Wakefield.

Mickster
10-07-2005, 12:17 PM

Yes. Kevin Hickey was flown in and threw patting practice yesterday. Apparently he can throw a servicable knuckler....

Mickster
10-07-2005, 12:18 PM

CSN and NBC news this morning indicated that they flew in Kevin Hickey who threw BP yesterday.

Madvora
10-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Yes. Kevin Hickey was flown in and threw patting practice yesterday. Apparently he can throw a servicable knuckler....
Hawk aways said that Frank Thomas could throw an awesome knuckler. That would have been funny watching the Big Hurt throwing batting practice.