PDA

View Full Version : Trib Column: ESPN East Coast Bias is Natural

delben91
10-07-2005, 05:30 AM
On my way to work, so no time to elaborate, but there's the article (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-051006sherman,1,1906556.column?coll=cs-whitesox-utility).

maurice
10-07-2005, 09:33 AM
The Trib is in no position to complain that ESPN is biased against the White Sox. That would be the all-time biggest case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Besides, the author of this article has been assigned to be a Trib property watchdog. When Boers & Bernstein recently ripped the Trib for its anti-Sox coverage, he immediately went after them for being insensitive to poor, innocent Ronnie Santo while completely ignoring the gist of the B&B coverage.

maurice
10-07-2005, 09:37 AM
BTW, I love the way he applies the Trib standard to ESPN by simply regurgitating the party line without any discernable analysis:
When the Sox clinched the Central, "SportsCenter" recapped the top 10 plays from their season.
If you did any actual research for your story, Ed, you'd know that when the Sox clinched the Central it wasn't even the top story on ESPN and didn't get covered until half-way through Baseball Tonight, only after extensive coverage of the day's Yankees, Red Sox, and Cub games. *****, Ed. You conceded that they didn't even send anybody to cover the Sox clincher!

mjharrison72
10-07-2005, 01:50 PM
I also live the way they justify their "exhaustive" coverage of a rivalry they think so many people care about:

"With the drama and history of the rivalry, we want to exhaust that coverage," Williamson said. "We have a two-pronged obligation. We want to inform the viewer on what he needs to know. We also need to feed on that passionate interest from a national perspective."

What may be "feeding a passionate interest" to one person is unrelenting hype to another. And the circle goes 'round and 'round.

When NY and Boston fans want to "feed their passionate interest," they should do what the rest of us have to do, and seek out in-depth coverage of their team from local sources. The rest of the country shouldn't have to be force-fed tripe just because these AL Least fans are lazy.

mccoydp
10-07-2005, 08:57 PM
I read this article a few minutes ago...what garbage.

I don't care about their reasoning behind pushing the Yankmees and the Blow-Sox, that is no excuse to ignore the rest of the baseball world. Opportunities exist to create new heroes for American baseball fans instead of pushing the same old, tired crap down our throats, day in and day out.

StillMissOzzie
10-08-2005, 01:12 AM
The Trib is in no position to complain that ESPN is biased against the White Sox. That would be the all-time biggest case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Besides, the author of this article has been assigned to be a Trib property watchdog. When Boers & Bernstein recently ripped the Trib for its anti-Sox coverage, he immediately went after them for being insensitive to poor, innocent Ronnie Santo while completely ignoring the gist of the B&B coverage.

DING DING DING DING DING!
We have a winner! :thumbsup: :yup:

I think that the Cubune has regressed to CYA mode to justify their own modus operandi.

SMO
:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

MUsoxfan
10-08-2005, 01:25 AM
DING DING DING DING DING!
We have a winner! :thumbsup: :yup:

I think that the Cubune has regressed to CYA mode to justify their own modus operandi.

SMO

You'd better be careful.....if Ed Sherman finds out you said something bad about something Cubune related, he'll write a column on you. (I'm not sure if teal is needed or not)

SOXSINCE'70
10-08-2005, 08:52 AM
The next thing you know,the Cub-Une will tell us that the terrorists
who destroyed the WTC on 9/11/01 were just misunderstood and love
their parents and America.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

To paraphrase Maurice,"talk about the pot calling the kettle black".:angry:

fusillirob1983
10-09-2005, 02:59 PM
ESPN might argue that the Red Sox and Yankees have the largest national following in all of baseball, but there's probably a much larger group that doesn't give a crap about them and want them to lose.

Fenway
10-09-2005, 03:17 PM
With the new deal ESPN has with MLB, SportsCenter will be able to show hilites from games still being played ( until now only Baseball Tonight was allowed to do so )

The east coast teams are generally done in time for the 11 PM Eastern SportsCenter so they lead. ESPN won't lead with a game that they can't show video from.

That is where a lot of the bias comes from

The real nice thing to say is the impressive rating the White Sox pulled in prime time
The Sox hit it big again Wednesday. Combining ESPN and WGN's numbers, they did an 18.5 rating locally, with 630,852 households tuned into the game

It will only get bigger