PDA

View Full Version : In loving memory of Ursula

LuvSox
10-07-2005, 01:03 AM
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=local&id=3512789

Nellie_Fox
10-07-2005, 01:13 AM
And don't ever make fun of it, or bitch about it, when they say "in loving memory of Ursula."

Here is just a regular, blue collar family, who hit the lottery big time, and all they wanted to do with it is make other people's lives better. I wish I knew them.

Mohoney
10-07-2005, 01:51 AM
Alex Snelius is a White Sox fan personified.

He won the Lotto. He has the financial means to tell the club: "I'll donate a hundred bucks for every homer you guys hit. Please make me bankrupt." On top of it, this money is all going to help people.

If any one of us had this ability, I'm sure we would all be doing it, too. Imagine watching us down by a run with 2 outs in the 9th. Wouldn't you GLADLY pay $100 to see us tie it up?

I would love nothing more than to see us win this World Series this year, because I know that Alex would donate an ungodly sum of money to see that, and I know that it would be bittersweet, but to do it in the name of a loving wife of 47 years would help just a little bit to comfort him in the wake of her passing.

Here's to a World Series win for Alex, Ursula, and the rest of us.

Joosh
10-07-2005, 02:21 AM
That is a wonderful story. :smile: I always had wondered what the background behind this story was, and it made me smile. We need more people like this is the world.

StockdaleForVeep
10-07-2005, 02:50 AM
I finally get to see what the man looks like.

Does hawk or has hawk ever explained the story behind it on tv? Because for the longest time i had no clue who alex and ursula were till i asked around here

Does he have season tix to the park?

kittle545feet
10-07-2005, 03:35 AM
I gotta tell ya, that is awesome. I have heard that name for so long and wondered who they were talking about and now I am glad to know the story. It gets you on so many levels. His love of his wife and family and friends and the White Sox.....what a guy! :smile:

gbergman
10-07-2005, 05:45 AM
great article!!! Go get a win for Ursula and Alex White Sox

RedHeadPaleHoser
10-07-2005, 06:16 AM
I finally get to see what the man looks like.

Does hawk or has hawk ever explained the story behind it on tv? Because for the longest time i had no clue who alex and ursula were till i asked around here

Does he have season tix to the park?

From what I've heard, Hawk touched on it right at the beginning of the season, but then said nothing else. Snellius' used to go to a restaurant over in Bridgeview, and IIRC, they are season ticket holders.

Paxson93
10-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Yeah there was a nice long article on them I think in Sunday's Southtown.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dsnews/021nd1.htm

kninchicago
10-07-2005, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the article. I always just assumed they were some loaded couple who just gave out money to earn their spot in Chicago's upper-crust society (I work in development for a wealthy non-profit, I'm a little jaded) but he's really doing it from his heart. Brought a tear to my eye.

And on another jaded note: Look how much taxes took from their lump sum payment. Sure 18 mil is still more than I'll ever see but that's a huge percentage of their winnings, gone. :rolleyes:

PatK
10-07-2005, 10:41 AM
Wow, reading that made me tear up and I now look like I've been crying like a sissy.

Frankfan4life
10-09-2005, 01:27 PM
God bless the Snelius family. I thank them for their devotion to the White Sox and for making the world a better place in the process. I wish Ursula had lived to see this day. But, the way things have been going for the Sox this year, it's not hard to believe that she truly is "Our Angel in the Outfield."

HotelWhiteSox
10-09-2005, 01:28 PM
There have also been different local news stories (TV) on it, touching story

antitwins13
10-09-2005, 05:54 PM
And don't ever make fun of it, or bitch about it, when they say "in loving memory of Ursula."

Here is just a regular, blue collar family, who hit the lottery big time, and all they wanted to do with it is make other people's lives better. I wish I knew them.
Snelious family rocks!

DenverSock
10-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Snelious family rocks! I can only second the emotion. Thanks for the links to the stories. I had no idea of the background.

TheDarkGundam
10-09-2005, 10:12 PM
Oh man, that's so sad! The sox should do something to honor her memory, like a plaque somewhere in the park.
I'm all choked up:whiner: (great articles btw)