PDA

View Full Version : BoSox should be "embarassed" to get swept!

bringfrankback
10-07-2005, 12:10 AM
According to Jeff Brantley (sp?) ESPN baseball "analyst" on i think it was the Dan Patrick show this afternoon said Boston should be embarassed if they get swept by a team that "had a horrible collapse" and "dropped just about every game in September." What is this nonsense? Our good ol' boys in black not only started September on a 7 game winning streak, they ended on a 3 game winning streak, and they ended up 17-12 in the month. What a bunch of garbage especially since the Sox HELPED the bosox get in by sweeping the Indians!

batmanZoSo
10-07-2005, 12:12 AM
According to Jeff Brantley (sp?) ESPN baseball "analyst" on i think it was the Dan Patrick show this afternoon said Boston should be embarassed if they get swept by a team that "had a horrible collapse" and "dropped just about every game in September." What is this nonsense? Our good ol' boys in black not only started September on a 7 game winning streak, they ended on a 3 game winning streak, and they ended up 17-12 in the month. What a bunch of garbage especially since the Sox HELPED the bosox get in by sweeping the Indians!

Jeff Brantley should be embarrassed to make such moronic statements whilst getting paid to analyze baseball.

antitwins13
10-07-2005, 12:13 AM
It's Brantley who should be embarrassed. I'm not crying in my beer Jeff. I'm sorry.

:whiner: :gulp:

Soxfanspcu11
10-07-2005, 12:15 AM
I need this "mans" email address. I searched ESPN for it, does anyone know it? Please let me know. And if not him, perhaps someone at baseball tonite. If anyone knows ANYTHING, please let me know. Thank you.

cheeses_h_rice
10-07-2005, 12:15 AM
On Chicago Tonight, Phil Ponce informed the viewers that the White Sox had a horrible August AND September.

Man, we're lucky to have finished with 99 wins, I guess!

A_ROW33
10-07-2005, 12:16 AM
ESPN should be embarassed for employing this guy.

batmanZoSo
10-07-2005, 12:18 AM
On Chicago Tonight, Phil Ponce informed the viewers that the White Sox had a horrible August AND September.

Yeah, it's so horrible to go 17-12 and win your last 5 games in a row. We tinkled away our lead down to 1.5 games and pushed it back to 6 when it was over. That's called gettin' it done, I don't know what kind of crack these people are smoking.

SOXintheBURGH
10-07-2005, 12:27 AM
Yeah, it's so horrible to go 17-12 and win your last 5 games in a row. We tinkled away our lead down to 1.5 games and pushed it back to 6 when it was over. That's called gettin' it done, I don't know what kind of crack these people are smoking.

CHOKE HOLD

SOX ADDICT '73
10-07-2005, 12:35 AM
The 2005 Chicago White Sox: The "luckiest" team ever to win the World Series.

Nothing will shut these mediots up except a win on Friday, an ALCS sweep of the Yankees, and a WS sweep of St. Louis. Any opponent other than those specific teams, and the Sox will never get the respect they deserve.

I can usually tolerate Mike & Mike in the Morning (mostly because North is a jackass), but today Greenberg said something like, "They nearly choked in the regular season, but if the White Sox collapse now, it will represent the biggest disaster in team history."

***?!? No props for going up 2-0 on America's Darlings, no respect for the very different ways they found to win each game, just an assumption that they will still somehow lose this series.

:boston :whiner: "Somebody tell those White Sox they're not following the script!":whiner:

Chisox003
10-07-2005, 01:01 AM
Guys, it's Jeff Brantley!

Yes, the same Jeff Brantley that had the gem in my signature.

The same Jeff Brantley that called out Freddy "Guzman" and "Chad" Hermanson (and others that I can't remember right now...)

This guy's goal in his sad, lonely life is to piss off White Sox fans. Don't let him ... Hes a greasy old never was, ESPN robot who will be enjoying a nice share of crow in a few weeks ... Unless Kruk steals his plate

You suck Brantley

LuvSox
10-07-2005, 01:07 AM
Eat me Brantley, you douche.

Banix12
10-07-2005, 01:22 AM
Get used to this because if and when the sox make the second round what angle do you think FOX is going to use throughout the rest of this thing?

We're gonna get #1

"The White Sox nearly choked away a 15 game lead in the regular season and now stands on the verge of making the world series, blah, blah, blah."

I know we're gonna get this one #2

"The red sox hadn't won since 1918 but the white sox haven't won since 1917! Will another curse be broken?" (And yes I know there isn't any curse but in an effort to create an angle to sell the mass playoff watching audience one will be created. Expect for the intro graphics on FOX to have a lot of 1919 references with voiceovers referring to a curse. We know there isn't one but the rest of the country will think there is one.)

And when the games start a ton of #3

"Well Ozzie calls it smartball but they don't play smallball but it really is longball." (This one coming from the usual people who think that just because the white sox hit a lot of HR's means that they don't really know how to play little ball. This instead of the idea that maybe they can do both.)

I'm sure there are a bunch more that I'm missing. Maybe when this whole thing starts we can create a big mega thread entitled "Dumb things said on FOX Broadcast" Of course we'd reach a 1000 by the fifth inning of game 1.

HotelWhiteSox
10-07-2005, 01:30 AM
Brantley looked like he was about to cry last night on Sportscenter.

It went 'under the radar' since it was a Sunday morning on ESPN2 about 2 weeks ago, while the other channels were doing NFL pregame, but Brantley basically flat out admitted his bias against the White Sox. He said, and I quote (caps for screaming) "I would LOVE TO SEE THAT SITUATION" (referring to a situation Reynolds layed out of the White Sox going 3-6 and the Red Sox going 7-2 to end the season, the White Sox would be out and the Red Sox would be in. The host of BBTN was confused, and said, "why would you love it?", and Brantley had this BS excuse that the Red Sox were playing much better baseball than the White Sox and deserved the spot, and that it was clear that the Indians were in. After he said that the Red Sox were playing much better, the BBTN host (Buccigrass) made him look like a fool by telling that the White Sox and Red Sox had identical September records at that point, while Brantley went on to yell "3-6 and 6-2! It's gonna happen!" while the next highlight was rolling.

No exaggeration at all, what a tool. To think, this is why they got rid of Dibble? I hope he's gone after this year, at least Phillips admitted he was wrong about the Sox and has been gloating about them since he saw them play live and the ASB, including him being one of the few ESPN guys to pick the Sox to win this series.

LuvSox
10-07-2005, 01:36 AM

It went 'under the radar' since it was a Sunday morning on ESPN2 about 2 weeks ago, while the other channels were doing NFL pregame, but Brantley basically flat out admitted his bias against the White Sox. He said, and I quote (caps for screaming) "I would LOVE TO SEE THAT SITUATION" (referring to a situation Reynolds layed out of the White Sox going 3-6 and the Red Sox going 7-2 to end the season, the White Sox would be out and the Red Sox would be in. The host of BBTN was confused, and said, "why would you love it?", and Brantley had this BS excuse that the Red Sox were playing much better baseball than the White Sox and deserved the spot, and that it was clear that the Indians were in. After he said that the Red Sox were playing much better, the BBTN host (Buccigrass) made him look like a fool by telling that the White Sox and Red Sox had identical September records at that point, while Brantley went on to yell "3-6 and 6-2! It's gonna happen!" while the next highlight was rolling.

No exaggeration at all, what a tool. To think, this is why they got rid of Dibble? I hope he's gone after this year, at least Phillips admitted he was wrong about the Sox and has been gloating about them since he saw them play live and the ASB, including him being one of the few ESPN guys to pick the Sox to win this series.

He said much of the same earlier and predicted Cleveland would over take us. He had this weird look in his eyes and yelled, like you described. This cat is nuts.

Mohoney
10-07-2005, 01:47 AM
News flash...the media wants us to lose.

We had a "White Album" season, and got NOTHING but "Shark Sandwich" reviews on it from ESPN's analysts ALL YEAR LONG!

Why care anymore? Why give any creedence at all to a man that rips off Michael Bolton's shmelby hairstyle AND THINKS THAT IT'S COOL!

Ask yourselves a simple question: is he a baseball analyst, or a candidate to grace the new $100 bill in lieu of Benjamin Franklin, who owned the most famous shmelby in American history?

Why don't we all just enjoy the fact that we have both exploited the weaknesses AND stymied the only strength of an overrated, one-dimensional ballclub?

Second news flash...we have out-homered this team 6-0, and are beating them at their own game.

Banix12
10-07-2005, 02:03 AM

Phillips was a complete tool before the season and for the first half but throughout this second half I have actually been pretty amazed at him because he has not only admitted he was wrong about them but he actually has been one of the White Sox biggest supporters on the network.

He's still a lousy GM though.

I don't know what the deal with Brantley is, or with a few of the other guys. Partly I think many of them were just hoping and wishing that it comes down to Yankees and Red Sox. maybe they're ticked the White Sox ruined a preseason office pool. However some of them I have to wonder if there is some personal grudge against the white sox at play. A lot of the trolls on ESPN are the former players so I have to wonder if something has them frothing at the mouth maybe from the playing days.

Most of the sportswriters, with the exceptions of Paige, Mariotti, and Bayless have been at least reasonable. Not picking the white sox but they've at least been reasonable.

Nellie_Fox
10-07-2005, 02:08 AM
I really don't understand how Brantley still has a job. I really don't. What does he bring to the table?

fquaye149
10-07-2005, 04:06 AM
We had a "White Album" season, and got NOTHING but "Shark Sandwich" reviews on it from ESPN's analysts ALL YEAR LONG!

they cawn't print that!!!:redneck:redneck:redneck

Mohoney
10-07-2005, 04:21 AM
they cawn't print that!!!:redneck:redneck:redneck

Aat's nitpicking, isn't it!

TDog
10-07-2005, 04:23 AM
The 2005 Chicago White Sox: The "luckiest" team ever to win the World Series.

Nothing will shut these mediots up except a win on Friday, an ALCS sweep of the Yankees, and a WS sweep of St. Louis. Any opponent other than those specific teams, and the Sox will never get the respect they deserve.

The Sox won some games in September. The Sox even won in Fenway in September.

Even with a postseason sweep, some writer would insist that if you took away that 16-game winning streak at the end (including the wins in Detroit and Cleveland), and and those 8-game winning streaks earlier in the season, the Sox were playing only about .500 ball.

What part of 99 wins don't they understand?

PeteWard
10-07-2005, 05:57 AM

Well, our British cousins all know what "ponce" means. :cool:

itsnotrequired
10-07-2005, 07:37 AM
Sox did poorly in September? Let's compare their September record to the other playoff teams:

NYY: 19-9
BOS: 17-12
CWS: 17-12
LAA: 19-9

STL: 13-13
ATL: 15-12
SDG: 15-13
HOU: 17-11

Better record than every team in the NL and tied with Boston in the AL. Poor performance indeed...:rolleyes:

But wait! Maybe he was talking about their terrible pitching. Rank in the AL, month of September:

Strikeouts: 1st
Complete games: t-1st
ERA: 2nd
WHIP: 2nd
Runs Allowed: 2nd
Opponent Average: t-2nd
Walks: 4th
Hits: 5th

Brantley = fool.

WSoxFanForever
10-07-2005, 08:48 AM
ESPN should be embarassed for employing this guy.

Almost everyone employed by ESPN is an embarassment. This guy is just a bit worse.

JRIG
10-07-2005, 09:06 AM
I really don't understand how Brantley still has a job. I really don't. What does he bring to the table?

Hot dogs and brats so Kruk doesn't eat Harold Reynolds.

SoxRulecubsdrool
10-07-2005, 09:09 AM

I love Spinal Tap references.
David, Smell the Glove is here!

eriqjaffe
10-07-2005, 09:37 AM
I think they keep Brantley around to make Joe Morgan seem smarter.

Dick Allen
10-07-2005, 11:48 AM
Brantley is too stupid to be embarrassed.

mccoydp
10-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Jeff Brantley? I stopped listening to him a long time ago.

The media is bent against the White Sox; why, I don't know, but they are.

I get less-biased coverage of other teams and more honest coverage of the Sox from this site than I do from ESPN or any other network.

EastCoastSoxFan
10-07-2005, 01:13 PM
Aat's nitpicking, isn't it!
...on what day did God create Jeff Brantley, and couldn't he have rested on that day, too...?

PatK
10-07-2005, 01:42 PM

We had a "horrible collapse"?? How, by never losing 1st place and finishing the seaon with the best record in the league?

As oppposed to the RedSox, who dropped out of first and had to rely on us sweeping the Indians in order for them to make the playoffs?

Jjav829
10-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Well, I don't know that his reasoning it sound, but the Red Sox should be embarrassed if they get swept. Anytime you are the defending World Champs and you go and get swept in the 1st round the next year you should be embarrassed, even if you've lost a big part of your championship team.

Fenway
10-07-2005, 02:02 PM
Well, I don't know that his reasoning it sound, but the Red Sox should be embarrassed if they get swept. Anytime you are the defending World Champs and you go and get swept in the 1st round the next year you should be embarrassed, even if you've lost a big part of your championship team.

We haven't lost 3 in a row since July

look UNTIL the home team loses a game, the series going exactly the way it should

daveeym
10-07-2005, 02:17 PM

look UNTIL the home team loses a game, the series going exactly the way it should Keep talking buddy, you know in your heart that it's OVAH. You've lost too much from last year and you're relying on duct tape and funhouse mirrors at this point.

maurice
10-07-2005, 02:20 PM

We already heard all the BS reasons why the Red Cubs were certain to win Game 2. Your Game 3 reasoning is as sound as your Game 2 reasoning.

As demonstrated throughout this web site, the relevant factors (e.g., Sox winning streak, Red Cub losing streak, Red Cub late-season choke job, Sox v. Wakefield, Garcia on the road during the afternoon, Sox superior road record, Sox recent success at the Urinal East, etc.) point to a Red Cubs loss.

knocko94
10-07-2005, 08:01 PM
:bandance:

"we haven't lost three in a row since October 7."

:gulp:

tlebar318
10-07-2005, 09:08 PM
Sox Win! of the White variety..good luck next year Fenway and go Angels! Yankmees suck!:D:

Stroker Ace
10-07-2005, 09:23 PM
Sox Win! of the White variety..good luck next year Fenway and go Angels! Yankmees suck!:D:Heeeeeyyyy. It's not that I'm cheering for the Yankmees, but I would like to go to the Bronx decked out in full White Sox gear.

SluggersAway
10-07-2005, 09:39 PM
look UNTIL the home team loses a game, the series going exactly the way it should

Has something gone wrong yet?

socko82
10-08-2005, 10:14 AM
It looked like Brantley and Harold Reynolds were both about to break down in tears last night. Didn't see Kruk, guess he was just too tore up to go on camera.

Also during the Yankee game last night the crawl goes across the bottom "Coming up on Sportscenter: What's next for the Red Sox in 2006"
They just can't let it go.

Fredsox
10-08-2005, 12:30 PM

Respectfully disagree. They were the World Champs last year and that's just history. Being embarrassed suggests that they got beat by a team playing over their heads and I don't buy that for a second. They went up against a buzz saw of a pitching staff that shut them down with 9 runs in 3 games. They would have been lucky to win one, and I'm not trying to be arrogant. We have the hottest pitching staff in baseball and that's what a hot pitching staff can do.

JMHO.

TornLabrum
10-08-2005, 12:53 PM
...on what day did God create Jeff Brantley, and couldn't he have rested on that day, too...?

I think he did rest. That's why he came out the way he did.

whtsx1959
10-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Yesterday ESPN mentioned the Curse of the Bambino was broken last year, but can the Curse of Shoeless Joe be broken this year?

Absolutely terrible! We don't have curses. We lost eight of our best players in an era before free agency which means it takes a long to rebuild. Obviously not 88 years, but a good ten or 20, 1932 was the worst sox team I know of.

santo=dorf
10-08-2005, 01:22 PM
Yesterday ESPN mentioned the Curse of the Bambino was broken last year, but can the Curse of Shoeless Joe be broken this year?

Absolutely terrible! We don't have curses. We lost eight of our best players in an era before free agency which means it takes a long to rebuild. Obviously not 88 years, but a good ten or 20, 1932 was the worst sox team I know of.

It really makes me sick to hear that crap and pisses me of even more when I see "Jackson's Black Sox."

Give the "credit" to Gandil, not Jackson. :mad: