PDA

View Full Version : I was having a perfectly nice day, then I read Scoop Jackson

MarySwiss
10-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Well, gang, this might just be the textbook example of a guy writing a column that pretends to be positive but is really negative.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/051006

Just in case you think this guy knows what he's talking about:

they can be two games up in a five-game series without the postseason numbers from Carl Everett and Jermaine Dye, their two most important offensive players, who everyone said they'd need to win.

Excuse me? Ever hear of Paul Konerko?

And:
If it goes five, the series will end on Oct. 8.

Er-- wrong again. For two reasons. 1) it's not going to go five, and 2) the game on October 8 would be Game Four. Game 5 would be on October 9. And both games 4 and 5 will be played in Fantasyland.

How do I go about getting a job with ESPN? Don't these guys ever do any research? In this case, all he had to do was go to the "Schedule" section on his own damn Web site.

oldcomiskey
10-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Well, gang, this might just be the textbook example of a guy writing a column that pretends to be positive but is really negative.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/051006

Just in case you think this guy knows what he's talking about:

Excuse me? Ever hear of Paul Konerko?

And:

Er-- wrong again. For two reasons. 1) it's not going to go five, and 2) the game on October 8 would be Game Four. Game 5 would be on October 9. And both games 4 and 5 will be played in Fantasyland.

How do I go about getting a job with ESPN? Don't these guys ever do any research? In this case, all he had to do was go to the "Schedule" section on his own damn Web site.

if youre referring to Fenway as fantasy land maybe you need to check the schedule----game 5 would be back in chicago

MarySwiss
10-06-2005, 05:40 PM
if youre referring to Fenway as fantasy land maybe you need to check the schedule----game 5 would be back in chicago

Sorry, Old Comiskey. Guess I wasn't clear. . .I was referring to Fantasyland as Fantasyland, as in there will be no Games 4 and 5 played anywhere other than there. :smile:

Sxy Mofo
10-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Two things about his article. Carl had two hits, one of them huge last night.

If it goes five, the series will end on Oct. 8.

What he meant by this comment is that if the red sox win the next two games, they're guaranteed the one at the cell. If they win the fourth game, the series is all but over, is what he means.

But I've never like scoop-de-doop, and even if it goes back to the cell, there's no guarantees that the momentum means anythin.

MarySwiss
10-06-2005, 05:57 PM
Two things about his article. Carl had two hits, one of them huge last night.

[If it goes five, the series will end on Oct. 8.]

What he meant by this comment is that if the red sox win the next two games, they're guaranteed the one at the cell. If they win the fourth game, the series is all but over, is what he means.
But I've never like scoop-de-doop, and even if it goes back to the cell, there's no guarantees that the momentum means anythin.

Oh, I get it. He's trying to be clever. He failed. For two reasons again. 1) It's over in three, and 2) Even if they did somehow manage to win games 3 and 4--which they won't--doesn't he get it that the BlowSox would be facing Contreras in Game 5? Maybe he should roll tape of Game 1.

schmitty9800
10-06-2005, 06:14 PM
I really like his stuff 90% of the time, but yeah, this article sucks.

One Tony Graffanino error later, one bad pitch later, it was over. Boston down 4-5.
I hate this kind of crap. Two plays does not a baseball game make. He should also point to the 4-5 balls where the Sox swung for the fences and got a long fly ball in the late innings. Those would've been on the ground finding the holes for hits if the Sox were playing from behind. The whole game would've changed.

fquaye149
10-06-2005, 06:17 PM
I was having a perfectly nice day, then I read Scoop Jackson

That order of events is pretty much stat quo

Sxy Mofo
10-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Oh, I get it. He's trying to be clever. He failed. For two reasons again. 1) It's over in three, and 2) Even if they did somehow manage to win games 3 and 4--which they won't--doesn't he get it that the BlowSox would be facing Contreras in Game 5? Maybe he should roll tape of Game 1.

He's going by momentum, which the blow sox will have all of if they win the next two.

And he's a stereotypical wannabe chicago writer. Trying to make it sound as if everyone always expects... even wants... the worst. That might be true for some of your chicago misers, but it doesn't represent most of us.

Sxy Mofo
10-06-2005, 06:20 PM
I really like his stuff 90% of the time, but yeah, this article sucks.

I'm not a fan of his...

Yes, we get it, you're black, scoop. We don't care.

elrod
10-06-2005, 10:17 PM
I don't see what the beef is with this column. I thought his comments on Ozzie were great. The White Sox will play tough in Boston because Ozzie will convince his players that they are down 0-2 in the series and not the other way around.