PDA

View Full Version : Bloomington/Normal Call to Arms

FoulTerritory
10-06-2005, 05:13 PM
I just moved back to Bloomington from the East Coast, and have been quickly reminded that there are fewer Sox fans in B/N than in Horsham, PA. Lordy.

So if there are any Sox fans that surf these boards that live in Bloomington/Normal, I ask that we all congregate at Elroys in downtown Bloomington for the game tomorrow. I really don't want to be in that bar with more people (cubs fans mostly) pulling for Boston than for the White Sox.

Anyone on board? We must invade Elroys . . . hopefully if most of us can go to the same place there will be a sense of unity in the bar.

Anyone?

CHIsoxNation
10-06-2005, 05:22 PM
I just moved back to Bloomington from the East Coast, and have been quickly reminded that there are fewer Sox fans in B/N than in Horsham, PA. Lordy.

So if there are any Sox fans that surf these boards that live in Bloomington/Normal, I ask that we all congregate at Elroys in downtown Bloomington for the game tomorrow. I really don't want to be in that bar with more people (cubs fans mostly) pulling for Boston than for the White Sox.

Anyone on board? We must invade Elroys . . . hopefully if most of us can go to the same place there will be a sense of unity in the bar.

Anyone?

Just a little warning...I went to Elroy's a couple years back for lunch and planned on watching the Sox game with a few of my roomates. They didn't have the game on any of the sets so we asked them to put it on for us. The waitress flat out refused and said "This is a Cubs town". We ended up leaving the bar right after.

Things may be different down there now, due to the playoffs and everyone that hopped on the wagon. But I thought I would give you the heads up before something like that happens.

FoulTerritory
10-06-2005, 05:27 PM
Just a little warning...I went to Elroy's a couple years back for lunch and planned on watching the Sox game with a few of my roomates. They didn't have the game on any of the sets so we asked them to put it on for us. The waitress flat out refused and said "This is a Cubs town". We ended up leaving the bar right after.

Things may be different down there now, due to the playoffs and everyone that hopped on the wagon. But I thought I would give you the heads up before something like that happens.

Thanks for the heads up. Of course, the reason I suggest Elroys is because the other primary problem w/ Bloomington (other than being a "cubs town") is that it basically has only 2 sports bars. So, not a lot of choices if you are looking for big screens. And I do agree w/ you about Elroys. I've been gone for a couple years, but had similar experiences there before I left town. However, seeing as though its the playoffs, there is no way they won't have the game on. And they do have good cheeseballs. :gulp:

Madvora
10-06-2005, 05:29 PM
I used to watch Sox games at Damon's when I went to school there. Is that place still in business?
PubII would definitely have it on.

...Yeah, "Cubs town" ... give me a break.

CHIsoxNation
10-06-2005, 05:30 PM
... And they do have good cheeseballs. :gulp:

I thought that was the Pub II?

Either way, I'm sure they will have the game on at both places. That town hops on any wagon when the get the chance. Too bad it's not a Thursday for the $1 bottles!

FoulTerritory
10-06-2005, 05:35 PM
I used to watch Sox games at Damon's when I went to school there. Is that place still in business.

...Yeah, "Cubs town" ... give me a break.

It is still in business. But the only reason I don't suggest Damons is that in order to see the big screens there, you need to get a table in the dining area, as its more of a restaurant w/ big screens, than a bar. Unless I'm in the mood for a ribeye, I prefer the more mobile and mingling atmosphere of a bar.

doublem23
10-06-2005, 06:00 PM
Can't speak for B/N, but last night in Peoria we had a fairly large collection of Sox fans at the Old Chicago on the river. It was good times, there was one douchebag rooting for the Red Sawx but he shut up real quickly after Tadahito put a nail in their coffin.

I'm desperately trying to get rid of my shift tomorrow... I'm probably going to watch the Game again at either Old Chicago, and if not, maybe at Sully's, but that's mostly because I have to be there tomorrow night to see if I win tickets to see Audioslave in Orlando two weeks from now. :cool:

FoulTerritory
10-06-2005, 07:04 PM
Can't speak for B/N, but last night in Peoria we had a fairly large collection of Sox fans at the Old Chicago on the river. It was good times, there was one douchebag rooting for the Red Sawx but he shut up real quickly after Tadahito put a nail in their coffin.

I'm desperately trying to get rid of my shift tomorrow... I'm probably going to watch the Game again at either Old Chicago, and if not, maybe at Sully's, but that's mostly because I have to be there tomorrow night to see if I win tickets to see Audioslave in Orlando two weeks from now. :cool:

Actually, I wouldn't mind going to peoria to watch the game, just to get out of this "cubs town." But damnit, one of my best friends just finished his masters thesis, and there is a dinner in his honor that I am supposed to attend right after the game. So, unfortunately, I'll be observing it here in Bloomington, at Elroys, without or without any of my White Sox bretheren.

peeonwrigley
10-06-2005, 08:06 PM
I lived in Bloomington the previous summer ('04) as an intern, and thus drank a lot, and watched a lot of White Sox.

The Pub will be full of college-aged students, and will probably have a decent amount of Cub fans. However, Cub fans at ISU are pretty well equaled by Cardinals fans - who will cheer for the Sox (or at least, against Boston). I would think it would be a pretty enjoyable place for the game... throw in the decent and very cheap prices for food and drink and that's what I would recommend.

Other recommendations would be maybe the BW3 that's recently opened way out near the airport, and a bar called Gill St. that's also west of Veteran's. Gill St. has decent bar food, probably won't be too crowded, but is more expensive than the Pub.

FoulTerritory
10-06-2005, 08:20 PM
I lived in Bloomington the previous summer ('04) as an intern, and thus drank a lot, and watched a lot of White Sox.

The Pub will be full of college-aged students, and will probably have a decent amount of Cub fans. However, Cub fans at ISU are pretty well equaled by Cardinals fans - who will cheer for the Sox (or at least, against Boston). I would think it would be a pretty enjoyable place for the game... throw in the decent and very cheap prices for food and drink and that's what I would recommend.

Other recommendations would be maybe the BW3 that's recently opened way out near the airport, and a bar called Gill St. that's also west of Veteran's. Gill St. has decent bar food, probably won't be too crowded, but is more expensive than the Pub.

Yes, I am aware of and have partaken at all of these places you mention. Perhaps I should have been more clear. I am stuck going to Elroys cause my best friend lives like 2 blocks from there and we can walk back from there, and don't have to worry about driving -- a necessary concern considering the the importance of tomorrows game. So really, the purpose of this thread is quite selfish. I'm not trying to find a different place to drink and watch the game, but rather, I'm trying to get some sox fans to come to where I am drinking so as to offset the cubness that is intrinsic to central Illinois and will ultimately plague my viewing/drinking experience tomorrow. :rolleyes:

soxfanreggie
10-06-2005, 08:38 PM
I live in Blo-No...have been to Elroy's...would rather go to Damon's. I like that they have much bigger tvs to watch and have better service I think. I have a big test that will run into part of the game, or else I would probably be there watching the game. All the best to those going to a Blo-No get together.

Bluegrass1SOXFAN
10-06-2005, 08:46 PM
Doesn't B-N have a BW3's there now??? (Buffalo Wild Wings). I live in Louisville, KY and that is always a prime place to watch football, and anything to do with college basketball and baseball playoffs!!!

I would recommend going there...plus, the wings are excellent! I lived in BN from '93-'97 and they didn't have a place like that back then.

On a side note, just about half of Louisville seems to be pulling for the White Sox to win it! Everyone was coming over to me during the game, and talking about how they'd love to see our Sox put it to the East Coast "baseball Vitale's".

boiker
10-06-2005, 09:18 PM

I'm desperately trying to get rid of my shift tomorrow... I'm probably going to watch the Game again at either Old Chicago, and if not, maybe at Sully's, but that's mostly because I have to be there tomorrow night to see if I win tickets to see Audioslave in Orlando two weeks from now.

I could have swore I was the lone White Sox fan in Peoria. Too bad the game is a day game. There is no way in hell I'll be able to get tomorrow off.

jehosaphat
10-06-2005, 10:30 PM
There are more Sox frans in BN than you think. I'm one of them. Of course, Cotts is a former Redbird and BMac's sister plays on the ISU volleyball team. So, B/N should be embracing the White Sox.

Unfortunately, I'm on business in San Diego so can't join you. I'm staying at a hotel that is adjacent to the Padres Park - you have an very obstructed view of the field as you ride the escalator. However, if there is a play a 3rd base, you'd see it! The Cardinals play here on Saturday night.

Have fun. Go Sox and Go Birds!

MUsoxfan
10-06-2005, 10:33 PM
My brother goes to school at ISU.....if you guys pick a place, I'm sure he'd be in

FoulTerritory
10-06-2005, 11:21 PM
My brother goes to school at ISU.....if you guys pick a place, I'm sure he'd be in

As said, I'll be at Elroys with fellow sox friend. Gray hooded Central Champs sweatshirt and faded to brown (formerly black) sweat stained sox hat.

feel free to approach.

FoulTerritory
10-06-2005, 11:23 PM
There are more Sox frans in BN than you think. I'm one of them. Of course, Cotts is a former Redbird and BMac's sister plays on the ISU volleyball team. So, B/N should be embracing the White Sox.

Unfortunately, I'm on business in San Diego so can't join you. I'm staying at a hotel that is adjacent to the Padres Park - you have an very obstructed view of the field as you ride the escalator. However, if there is a play a 3rd base, you'd see it! The Cardinals play here on Saturday night.

Have fun. Go Sox and Go Birds!

Are you staying in the Clarion? I stayed there when the stadium was under construction. My room, like the one you describe, looked right down into what would become the field. It was cool.

doublem23
10-06-2005, 11:33 PM
Actually, I wouldn't mind going to peoria to watch the game, just to get out of this "cubs town." But damnit, one of my best friends just finished his masters thesis, and there is a dinner in his honor that I am supposed to attend right after the game. So, unfortunately, I'll be observing it here in Bloomington, at Elroys, without or without any of my White Sox bretheren.

Hey, that's cool, man. With the notable exception of the first game of the ALCS, I will probably be downtown Peoria for the games (depending on specials and what not)... Couple good places downtown to just kick back and watch the games; Old Chicago, like mentioned... Richard's because they have tremendous food, and maybe Tomcats. Also, I could forseeable end up at the Hooters, BWW in East Peoria, Kouri's, Lucky Lady, and Gorman's. Essentially, if you're up for the ride to P-Town, I'm sure we'll put together Sox fans to watch the games. :cool:

peeonwrigley
10-07-2005, 12:20 AM
Hey, that's cool, man. With the notable exception of the first game of the ALCS, I will probably be downtown Peoria for the games (depending on specials and what not)... Couple good places downtown to just kick back and watch the games; Old Chicago, like mentioned... Richard's because they have tremendous food, and maybe Tomcats. Also, I could forseeable end up at the Hooters, BWW in East Peoria, Kouri's, Lucky Lady, and Gorman's. Essentially, if you're up for the ride to P-Town, I'm sure we'll put together Sox fans to watch the games. :cool:

Then, Big Al's to celebrate a Sox victory :o:

I've actually never been there but all my friends from the Peoria area (Morton) always talked about it, so I thought it would sound cool to throw that out there. The only P-town bars I've been to are Old Chicago, Sully's, and some craphole called Cruisen's.

jehosaphat
10-07-2005, 02:30 AM
Are you staying in the Clarion? I stayed there when the stadium was under construction. My room, like the one you describe, looked right down into what would become the field. It was cool.

Actually, the Omni.

BugsMoran
10-07-2005, 04:28 AM
That town hops on any wagon when the get the chance.

No s**t. I grew up there, in 1964 they let school out to watch the Cardinals
play in the Series. The local radio station ran Harry Caray narrating Cards games. The YMCA sponsored field trips to Busch Stadium, which were packed with kids who wanted to see Orlando Cepeda & Lou Brock steal bases.

Why the town turned into a concentration camp of Cubs zombies, I have no idea..OTOH, I do have an idea. They're tourists, not baseball fans. The folks from further downstate (like say, Centralia & Murphysboro) are still die-hard Cards fans, read the Post-Dispatch, and aren't exposed to Cubune propaganda. Many (as I would) would love to see a Cards-White Sox World Series.

bmac5001
10-07-2005, 04:35 AM
I wouldn't really say Bloomington is a "Cubs town". The amount of Cubs "fans" might have grown in the past several years, but i'd say it's still split pretty fairly between the Cubs and Cards. That said, it always saddened my how little sox fans i knew in b-n. luckily i've always had on of my brothers to root for the sox with. anyway, have fun at Elroy's!

FoulTerritory
10-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Well, thanks for all the responses. While it appears that none of the WSI army can make it to Elroys today, its still good to know that we have a contigent in central Illinois, as is evidenced by this thread!

Go Sox!