PDA

View Full Version : White Sox love on Boston.com

na_na_na_na
10-06-2005, 01:48 PM
This article is more pro-white sox than many of the Chicago media's:

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/2005/10/06/white_flag/

a nice read.

palehozenychicty
10-06-2005, 01:51 PM
i saw that. finally, someone on the east with the cojones to state the obvious. the red cubs lost due to their lack of fundamentals in chicago, plain and simple. offense can only take you so far.

cbone
10-06-2005, 01:56 PM
Great column that say's it like it is. Can we trade him for Heiniebird?

TheOldRoman
10-06-2005, 01:57 PM
i saw that. finally, someone on the east with the cojones to state the obvious. the red cubs lost due to their lack of fundamentals in chicago, plain and simple. offense can only take you so far.
I agree. However, we had some pretty big gaffes that we were luckily able to overcome. The first was obviously Crede's play on the ball Damon hit to lead off. The other huge mistake was Konerko throwing to second base instead of to home when the bases were loaded. That is a basic fundamental play. In a game with two great pitchers facing off, runs are harder to come by. If Konerko threw home, not only would he have saved a run, he probably would have been able to get Nixon out at first. That was a huge mental error for Paulie, but luckily we overcame it. I hope we got that out of our system.

maurice
10-06-2005, 02:03 PM
LMAO at the way he trashes whiney Red Cub players and Red Cub fans:
Not only did we have the Curt Schilling someone-doesn’t-like-me fiasco of a week ago, but now we have the likes of Johnny Damon and David Ortiz basically calling out Matt Clement for his ineffectiveness. . . . Oh, and for those people who thought the Red Sox could win a World Series with a team predominantly built around offense, Boston has been outscored 19-6 thus far in this series. So, yes, New England will blame Clement, blame Francona, blame Theo, blame the mayor for not doing his little cookie curse business on Yawkey Way. . . .

But . . . watch what the White Sox bring to the table. The baseball world has really ignored them long enough, wouldn’t you say? . . . Like it or not, the way they pitch, play defense, and take advantage of opportunities, as dwindling as they may be, is a perfect blueprint for what gets you deep in October. . . . But make no mistake about it. The White Sox are the better team here.

CaptainBallz
10-06-2005, 02:14 PM
Awesome article. Thanks.

Madvora
10-06-2005, 02:26 PM
I've got a good Cosby Show line that Cliff says to Theo that fits the situation between the White Sox and Red Sox.

"I brought you into this world... and I'll take you out"

The Red Sox owe their post season entrance to the White Sox by our sweep of Cleveland. Now they're going to owe their exit to us too.

mjharrison72
10-06-2005, 02:27 PM
I agree. However, we had some pretty big gaffes that we were luckily able to overcome. The first was obviously Crede's play on the ball Damon hit to lead off. The other huge mistake was Konerko throwing to second base instead of to home when the bases were loaded. That is a basic fundamental play. In a game with two great pitchers facing off, runs are harder to come by. If Konerko threw home, not only would he have saved a run, he probably would have been able to get Nixon out at first. That was a huge mental error for Paulie, but luckily we overcame it. I hope we got that out of our system.
I totally agree. If we lose that game 4-2 or 4-3, we're all on here talking about Konerko's bases-loaded throw to second instead of home. The fundamental baseball is key, but a little luck never hurt. :wink:

chaotic8512
10-06-2005, 02:28 PM
My favorite line:

"The best team doesn’t always win. The White Sox respond, 'To hell with that.'"
Sums it up, plain and simple. :bandance:

flo-B-flo
10-06-2005, 08:07 PM
The Red Sox owe their post season entrance to the White Sox by our sweep of Cleveland. Now they're going to owe their exit to us too. The Sox giveth and they taketh away.:smile:

JBJas42
10-06-2005, 10:08 PM
A couple of batters later, Tadahito Iguchi liked what he saw from David Wells and went yard for a 5-4 lead. In turn, the Red Sox responded with less fight than a Swiss pacifist.

That is classic - great article.

batmanZoSo
10-06-2005, 11:10 PM
Some pretty weak writing there, but it's still well-received. Now, ESPN and everyone is going to act all surprised when we win this series--as if it were some big upset--in order to cover for their grossly ill-advised predictions of a Red Sox winner. But this guy has it right, we're just a superior team. I mean, come on, let's break it down...

Starting pitching, check
Bullpen, check
Small ball and fundamentals, check
Speed, check
Long ball, check

The only thing they have on us is runs scored, but our pitching staff has them at a mere three runs per game so far.