PDA

View Full Version : Poor Umping in Game 2

na_na_na_na
10-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Maybe I'm the only one who noticed but many of the calls from the home plate ump were brutal last night. His strike zone was about a mile wide for Wells. Specifically I remeber a called third strike that was at least a foot outside. Any body else notice this?

PatK
10-06-2005, 02:37 PM
I agree. He was VERY inconsistent, and that called 3rd strike on Crede would probably hit a left handed batter.

Now I don't know if anyone else caught this, but if you heard when they interviewed Francona early in the game, he said he was talking to the umps about "some camera thing that has to do with you guys (ESPN)".

Many of the strikes he was getting were thrown WAY outside the zone superimposed by ESPN. They were using it practically every pitch before Francona went out there, and used it maybe once or twice an inning after that.

A_ROW33
10-06-2005, 02:37 PM
I didni't get to see much of the game since I had class, from what I hear Buehrle got squeezed, it appeared Jenks should have gotten a few more calls, but this is what makes me appreciate the team so much: they are able to adjust, shut them down after the first innings, pick eachother up and win when a call/play doesn't go their way. *cough Boston cough*

miker
10-06-2005, 02:39 PM
Well if the ump blows it for both sides, there isn't that much to complain about.

peeonwrigley
10-06-2005, 02:41 PM
The zone was generous for Jose in game one. These things tend to balance out (note- I didnt see first 6 innngs of Game 2)

na_na_na_na
10-06-2005, 02:46 PM
I typically don't care about the umping because it usually goes both ways but yesterday was very one sided.

TheOldRoman
10-06-2005, 02:50 PM
I agree. As another poster said, the zone was VERY generous for Jose in game 1, but it was consistant for both teams. However, the strikezone last night was horrible.

I was pretty sure the umpire gave each pitcher a strikezone as wide as their wasteline. Buehrle got squeezed and Wells got strikes called on everything remotely close. At least 5 times they showed a K-zone replay and the strike called on a Sox batter was several inches outside.
I guess the umpire didn't go off girth afterall, because Jenks didn't get several pitches that were on the corners. As for Wells huge strikezone, it was never bigger than during Jermaine's AB after Iguchi's homer. I was busy blasting "Lets Go Go Go White Sox" and high fiving people, so I didn't pay much attention to the AB, but I believe he struck out looking at all pitches, and none of the pitches were even close to the zone. The umpire really wanted that inning to end. Maybe he had to use the john or something.

daveeym
10-06-2005, 03:04 PM
I disagree, when you have a slow big breaking curve like wells the ball is going to be caught well outside the "strike zone" but will actually cross the plate in the zone. There's a always a few bad calls, crede's being one of them but i thought he did alright.

Buerhle got a lot more high strike called because his ball moves more left to right than up to down, and for wells if the ball was caught in the same spot it was a ball.

maurice
10-06-2005, 03:06 PM
It wasn't just his curveball. Wells was getting 4 inches off the outside corner on his fastball. In one sequence, Dye struck out looking on 3 consecutive pitches that were 3 or 4 inches off the plate.

Vernam
10-06-2005, 03:11 PM
I agree. He was VERY inconsistent, and that called 3rd strike on Crede would probably hit a left handed batter.I loved how the ESPN crew replayed that pitch with their high-tech strike zone telestrator, which showed it was roughly a foot outside. Dead silence from Berman et al., though I'd expect nothing more with Commissioner Bud in the next booth to the left.

Vernam

Iwritecode
10-06-2005, 03:26 PM
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed this.

Wells and Burly were throwing pitches in the exact same spot and only one was getting them called as strikes...

oeo
10-06-2005, 03:36 PM
I noticed it as well...Whales had a HUGE strike zone, while Buehrle's was not so big. I also noticed Olerud was getting some definate strikes called as balls.

SOX ADDICT '73
10-06-2005, 03:52 PM
In game 1, Chad "Knuckledragger" Bradford struck out Rowand looking on a pitch that almost hit him. I have a theory about pitchers with an unorthodox throwing motion (like Shingo and Byung-Hyun Kim): if it's anywhere near the plate, the ump's going to call it a strike. I guess he figures "The way this guy throws, that's probably as close as he's gonna get -- STEE-RIKE!!!"

schmitty9800
10-06-2005, 04:08 PM
It did seem like Wells was getting his corner pitches called more often than Buehrle, but I don't think it was intentional or unfair. I do however, think it was bad, inconsistant umpiring.

Plus he has the stupidest strike call ever. We were sitting directly behind him in the upper deck...and we couldn't see if after a pitch he was moving his arm forward to indicate a strike, or just moving his arm forward a little bit to relax after calling a ball.

PatK
10-06-2005, 04:10 PM
anywhere[/u] near the plate, the ump's going to call it a strike. I guess he figures "The way this guy throws, that's probably as close as he's gonna get -- STEE-RIKE!!!"

Shingo's control must have been REALLY bad then, seeing how horrible he pitched his last month here.

mike squires
10-06-2005, 04:21 PM
My brother called after the game and asked me what I noticed throughout the game. I told him the umpiring and he agreed. My dad and I were yelling at the ump frequently. THere was a pitch that A.J completly missed that was straight as an arrow right down the middle. Many balls called strikes were well out of the zone and vice versa. Luckily, this is about all we have to complain about!

Skippy
10-06-2005, 04:23 PM
We ended up winning, so who cares? I'm just focused on Friday. I cannot wait until Friday!

Iwritecode
10-06-2005, 04:27 PM
THere was a pitch that A.J completly missed that was straight as an arrow right down the middle.

I remember that one. I'm not sure how/why AJ didn't catch it but I couldn't figure out why it wasn't a strike either...

Chicken Dinner
10-06-2005, 04:36 PM
This game was ump'd just as good as any other game this year. What do you want.....Quest Tech???

Iwritecode
10-06-2005, 04:40 PM
This game was ump'd just as good as any other game this year. What do you want.....Quest Tech???

I just want the same size strike zone for both pitchers...

Hokiesox
10-06-2005, 06:56 PM
The zone was generous for Jose in game one. These things tend to balance out (note- I didnt see first 6 innngs of Game 2)

You missed the whole game! :D:

SOX ADDICT '73
10-06-2005, 07:04 PM
You missed the whole game! :D:
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_408057.jpg "Ahem."