PDA

View Full Version : Puffers after Game 2. Awesome

Hangar18
10-06-2005, 11:36 AM
If anyone in the Chicago or National Media wants to know just what its like to be a White Sox fan? They shouldve stepped into Puffers last nite after the ballgame. Walking up 33rd, horns honking, people cheering on their way home (saw the Alohas driving by heh heh) I just felt something special was happening. I was with Salty Pretzel and when we entered Puffers, the whole place gave a standing Curtain Call, complete with walking thru the gauntlet having to High Five everyone til you got to the back. I felt like I just hit the Game Winning Homer in the bottom of the 9th to win a ballgame ......it was Awesome. It was LOUD, and I wondered what 40,000 people doing that would sound like .......... Every fan walking in the bar, got a STanding O/Curtain Call .............all spontaneous, and all South Side.

ewokpelts
10-06-2005, 11:54 AM
i refuse to step inside puffers......

Gene

hold2dibber
10-06-2005, 12:05 PM
i refuse to step inside puffers......

Gene

How cryptic and mysterious. I'll bite - why not?

KarkoFan1
10-06-2005, 12:20 PM
I was also there last night. It was awesome. Everytime someone step into the place the joint erupted. It was funny when the guy with the Wrong Sox jersey entered. We booed the heck out of him. It was a great postgame environment.

Konerkoholic
10-06-2005, 12:27 PM
Sounds like fun - Do they let in people under 21? If so, does anyone have the address and/or food recommendations? I might want to check it out on Friday.

ewokpelts
10-06-2005, 12:54 PM
How cryptic and mysterious. I'll bite - why not?
Two things. One's semi-excusable , and the other isnt.

1. They were welcoming flub fans with open arms in 2003.(not as bad as schaller's was, whose owner stated that he's always been a cubs fan)
2. Gross Mis-treatment of my brother and his friend back in 2003.(Were kicked out minutes after buying thier beers after a game for no reason.)

Gene

maurice
10-06-2005, 12:55 PM
Sounds like fun - Do they let in people under 21? If so, does anyone have the address and/or food recommendations? I might want to check it out on Friday.

Puffers is a bar only. They don't serve food. If you're under 21 but still want to eat at an extremely pro-Sox bar near the park, go to Schallers on 37th & Halsted. Good food, too.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-06-2005, 12:58 PM
Puffers is a bar only. They don't serve food. If you're under 21 but still want to eat at an extremely pro-Sox bar near the park, go to Schallers on 37th & Halsted. Good food, too.

I went there yesterday after the game but the kitchen was closed. When does it usually close? Thanks.

elrod
10-06-2005, 12:58 PM
Where is Puffer's? Is that the best non-Jimbo's bar in the neighborhood?

JohnBasedowYoda
10-06-2005, 01:27 PM
anyone ever been to catchers inn? i've been meaning to check that out.

also how's keegan's for games? it's small and their tvs are nice. never been there for a game though. note... i refuse to go to cork and kerry

kevin57
10-06-2005, 01:52 PM
anyone ever been to catchers inn? i've been meaning to check that out.

also how's keegan's for games? it's small and their tvs are nice. never been there for a game though. note... i refuse to go to cork and kerry

I've been to Keegan's, but mostly as an Irish hang out, not to watch games. Cool environment.

I've never been to Cork & Kerry. What's the matter with that place?

BainesHOF
10-06-2005, 02:07 PM
Catchers is a good place after a game. It's nothing special but it does the job. And the beer is cheap.

JohnBasedowYoda
10-06-2005, 02:13 PM
I've been to Keegan's, but mostly as an Irish hang out, not to watch games. Cool environment.

I've never been to Cork & Kerry. What's the matter with that place?

i just prefer the more low key keegans

santo=dorf
10-06-2005, 03:56 PM
(not as bad as schaller's was, whose owner stated that he's always been a cubs fan)
Gene
NO!

One of his sons, Jay (bartender) is the only Cubs fan in the family.

kninchicago
10-06-2005, 03:59 PM
I've never been to Keegan's or Cork & Kerry, but if you prefer Keegan's for being low-key, the time I went to Catcher's it was definetly not that. So Catcher's might not be your scene. I went on a Sunday after a game, it was packed, and the people were pretty loud.

ewokpelts
10-06-2005, 04:17 PM
NO!

One of his sons, Jay (bartender) is the only Cubs fan in the family.
it was all over the news and papers back in 2003.....right around game 4 of the nlcs

Gene

Old Roman
10-06-2005, 04:21 PM
<<<2. Gross Mis-treatment of my brother and his friend back in 2003.(Were kicked out minutes after buying thier beers after a game for no reason.)>>>

This has me wondering as I've heard basically good things about Puffers. Is there more to this story?

santo=dorf
10-06-2005, 04:24 PM
it was all over the news and papers back in 2003.....right around game 4 of the nlcs

Gene

You're going to have to take my word on this one.

My Grandpa doesn't like the Cubs, only my Uncle.

I recall an article in the Tribune interviewing my uncle, and I think I do recall them screwing up saying my Grandpa was a Cubs fan. They also said the name of the place was named after a beer tapper, but really there used to be a water pump in front of the place.

WikdChiSoxFan
10-06-2005, 05:23 PM
You might call me a Puffer's advocate...but seriously, i've enjoyed both games so far there and I plan on goin back for all the rest. Everybody was pumped!!! Goin crazy!!! It was nuts!!! (Except for the one blow sox fan who made a quiet exit right after the game.)

And the bartenders are great, super nice (Although you really can't get to know them when the place is packed) (i'm not sure about that getting kicked out story, must have been a rough day), and you can bring or order food people! Happiness, Freddies, Georges, San Jose, Phil's, etc., etc.

By the way, the crazy guy close to the front door with the hat that lit up...yeah, that was me.

(I think this is like my sixth puffer's related post in the last couple of days. I may be a bit partial.)

JohnBasedowYoda
10-06-2005, 05:31 PM
I've never been to Keegan's or Cork & Kerry, but if you prefer Keegan's for being low-key, the time I went to Catcher's it was definetly not that. So Catcher's might not be your scene. I went on a Sunday after a game, it was packed, and the people were pretty loud.

if it's loud during or after a game then thats cool

what i meant about keegans being low key as compared to c&k is that c&k is usually jam packed with jerks whereas keegans usually has a more 'chill' atmosphere. again i'm referring to normal days, not gametime stuff

ewokpelts
10-06-2005, 05:50 PM
You're going to have to take my word on this one.

My Grandpa doesn't like the Cubs, only my Uncle.

I recall an article in the Tribune interviewing my uncle, and I think I do recall them screwing up saying my Grandpa was a Cubs fan. They also said the name of the place was named after a beer tapper, but really there used to be a water pump in front of the place.
well...the trib and your uncle ruined it for me....not sure if i'll ever go in there...
Gene

p.s. I do appreciate your setting the record straight

SouthSide_HitMen
10-06-2005, 06:25 PM
well...the trib and your uncle ruined it for me....not sure if i'll ever go in there...
Gene

p.s. I do appreciate your setting the record straight

You are going to let the cubune sway your opinion?

I trust :sahaf before I trust something published in that rag.

Why White Sox fans buy and read that paper contributing to the cubs coffers and propoganda machine I'll never know? :dunno:

JohnBasedowYoda
10-06-2005, 06:30 PM
You are going to let the cubune sway your opinion?

I trust :sahaf before I trust something published in that rag.

Why White Sox fans buy and read that paper contributing to the cubs coffers and propoganda machine I'll never know? :dunno:

:moron

"yes listen to him!!"