PDA

View Full Version : Quick Top Of The 5th

34 Inch Stick
10-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Buhrle pitched a 5 pitch top of the 5th that I believe was clocked at under 2 minutes. It was hot and the inning before Wells had to run to cover 1st on Pods at bat. I think the lack of rest the corpulent Wells was able to get in his half of the inning played a largely unnoticed role in Wells giving up a 5 run inning.

Flight #24
10-06-2005, 12:21 PM
Buhrle pitched a 5 pitch top of the 5th that I believe was clocked at under 2 minutes. It was hot and the inning before Wells had to run to cover 1st on Pods at bat. I think the lack of rest the corpulent Wells was able to get in his half of the inning played a largely unnoticed role in Wells giving up a 5 run inning.

It really seemed like Wells was never the same after having to race Pods to first on that smash down the line that Olerud saved. Whether his knees acted up or his general fatassedness came into play, it's just another example of Scotty's value and the impact of top-end speed.

The_Floridian
10-06-2005, 12:24 PM
Buehrle tearing through that inning was huge.

The bottom of the 4th was the first time the Sox really got good swings off Wells. Pods ripped that one that Wells covered on, and only fantastic D by Olerud saved a double. Then Iguchi tore one down the line that Mueller knocked down to keep as a single. Konerko then sent one to the warning track. When your team is starting to hit the ball hard, you want to get them back in the dugout as quick as possible. Buehrle did just that, and look what happened.

Excellent post.

seanpmurphy
10-06-2005, 12:26 PM

If I remember correctly both the 4th and 5th, or 5th and 6th, somewhere Buehrle threw less than 10 pitches each inning, meaning Wells had basically 0 recovery time. Either way, once again proves that working fast and being efficient is going to help out.

hawkjt
10-06-2005, 12:28 PM
Burls definitely came up big in that inning. It was a huge factor in the rally. Mark got in a groove those last 4 innings that represented the true burl. He was overhyped and high in the first few innings. Wayyto go Mark.

ode to veeck
10-06-2005, 01:33 PM
It really seemed like Wells was never the same after having to race Pods to first on that smash down the line that Olerud saved. Whether his knees acted up or his general fatassedness came into play, it's just another example of Scotty's value and the impact of top-end speed.

If we see Boomer again (e.g. game 5), we gotta lay bunts down early just to get his fat ass moving off the mound so we can get to him sooner

Chez
10-06-2005, 01:45 PM
If we see Boomer again (e.g. game 5), we gotta lay bunts down early just to get his fat ass moving off the mound so we can get to him sooner

I couldn't agree more. I thought Pods should have laid one down last night with runners on the corners in the 5th. Of course we all know what happened next; but let's make him work/move out there.

elrod
10-06-2005, 02:02 PM
That's exactly what the Red Sox fans are saying. "Why couldn't the hitters work Buehrle more...?"