PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or do Sox hitters still swing at the 1st pitches too much?

johnnybgood
10-06-2005, 11:25 AM
Congrats to the w Sox. Great victory last night. Still nervous, though. Seems like all too often Sox hitters swing at 1st pitch too much w/o getting a read on the pitcher or the ball. Whenever they take their time at the plate, the outcome's usually much better, unless the pitcher's got too much good stuff. Someone calm me down!:(:

Iwritecode
10-06-2005, 11:28 AM
Congrats to the w Sox. Great victory last night. Still nervous, though. Seems like all too often Sox hitters swing at 1st pitch too much w/o getting a read on the pitcher or the ball. Whenever they take their time at the plate, the outcome's usually much better, unless the pitcher's got too much good stuff. Someone calm me down!:(:

I've always thought they take a first-pitch fastball right down the middle of the plate too often and then don't get another good pitch to hit in the entire AB.

palehozenychicty
10-06-2005, 11:28 AM
you are exactly right. i was watching the yanks-angels game 1, and the angels did the same thing at mussina. they just flailed at everything the whole game. i'm telling you, if the white sox use the patient approach tomorrow afternoon, the series is done. boston's pitching can't get us out if we take our time. simple as that.

wdelaney72
10-06-2005, 11:29 AM
If Wakefield pitches game 3 (which I don't think he will), they better make a habit of sitting on the first pitch.

tlebar318
10-06-2005, 11:30 AM
I've always thought they take a first-pitch fastball right down the middle of the plate too often and then don't get another good pitch to hit in the entire AB.

Agreed--all year long I have been talking to my TV screen telling the guys to swing more often at the first pitch--Pods and Crazy Carl in particular..

SOXPHILE
10-06-2005, 11:31 AM
Juan Uribe and Joe Crede were the guys that seemed like they were ALWAYS swinging at the first pitch and either missing, fouling it back, or popping it up just behind 3rd base. In the last couple of months though, they seemed to have gotten better, more patient. Don't forget Uribe's bases loaded walk in San Diego. Now though, it seems like they're doing it again. But, I'm also more tense and living and dying with each pitch even more now, so everything seems magnified.

bluestar
10-06-2005, 11:34 AM
It really depends on the pitcher. Wells, like Buehrle, likes to throw first pitch strikes. When a pitcher is doing that consistently, obviously you want to be ready to swing at the first pitch.

I thought early in last night's game, we took too many first pitch strikes. It seemed like our hitters made an adjustment and started looking for the first pitch later in the game.

Chicken Dinner
10-06-2005, 11:34 AM
If Wakefield pitches game 3 (which I don't think he will), they better make a habit of sitting on the first pitch.

Wakefield WILL be pitching game 3.

PatK
10-06-2005, 11:35 AM
I think there's certain pitchers that you need to take the first pitch against. With others, you CANNOT let them get ahead of you.

IMO, David Wells is one of the former, and I don't think they took enough against him.

ChicagoHoosier
10-06-2005, 11:36 AM
Seemed to me last night they did a lot of both. Lots of first pitch strikes were taken, which frustrated me. AJ was very aggressive, as was Juan as he often is. But I don't the Sox have a team-wide problem of being impatient with that first pitch.

FielderJones
10-06-2005, 11:38 AM

That was especially true of Crede and to a lesser extend Pods earlier this year. Until September, every pitcher in the league was throwing a get-me-over fastball to Crede on pitch 1, because they knew he was going to take it. Finally in September Joe started to swing at those meatballs, and he had a great month.

Pods, I understand, has to try to work for OBP as the leadoff man. Still, I like him to be ready for that meatball as well.

SOX ADDICT '73
10-06-2005, 11:41 AM
I'm with you - I've been saying all season that a pitcher who throws anything but first-pitch strikes to Podsednik, Konerko, Thomas, or Dye is either a fool or just doesn't pay attention to scouting reports. For a while, you could have just saved a lot of time by starting Jermaine with an 0-2 count before the first pitch.

However, frustrating as it is to watch them stare one ball after another right into the catcher's mitt, I'd rather they show a little patience at the plate. I'm reminded of the game Colon pitched against us at USCF. He had just walked three guys in the inning, including walking in our second run. Whether he had lost his control or was getting squeezed is not important - we had him on the ropes. And what does Rowand do? Swings at the first friggin' pitch and pops it into center field. We were still up 2-0, but I knew at that moment that the Sox would lose that game...

Sxy Mofo
10-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Pods job has to be to take as many pitches as possible... but after that, if it's a first pitch cookie, swing at it... if not, then don't.

Pitchers have tendencies, and teams have game plans that revolve around taking pitches, or swinging at first pitches.

MisterB
10-06-2005, 11:49 AM
I think there's certain pitchers that you need to take the first pitch against. With others, you CANNOT let them get ahead of you.

IMO, David Wells is one of the former, and I don't think they took enough against him.

Wells has averaged about 1 walk per 9 ip this season, so it's a fairly safe bet that he'll be around the plate. So why not look for a hittable pitch early in the count?

PatK
10-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Wells has averaged about 1 walk per 9 ip this season, so it's a fairly safe bet that he'll be around the plate. So why not look for a hittable pitch early in the count?

It just seems like he throws a lot of first pitch balls.

kevingrt
10-06-2005, 11:57 AM
I always think everyone swings at too many first pitches. I am in the school of baseball where you almost always take till you get a strike. Even though I know that always doesn't work, I like to think it does. But then again you are like giving yourself a strike. Oh well, we are winning, lets stick with what we are doing right now.

hawkjt
10-06-2005, 12:33 PM
Wells rarely walks anyone and trys to get ahead with his average fastball and then throw that big ass curve once he is ahead. You have to be ready to swing.

johnnybgood
10-06-2005, 01:14 PM
and take or swing accordingly. If Wells is a control pitcher and the 1st pitch is a strike, swing away. But it's not a requirement!

CaptainBallz
10-06-2005, 01:34 PM
Yeah, from my vantage point they seemed to be having over-aggressive AB's early in the game. I was under the impression that the strategy would be to make Wells throw a lot of pitches, get the pitch count up, and get to the bullpen early. To me they seemed to take the approach of hitting him quick and getting on the board right away (Which obviously didn't work). Into the third inning, Wells count was ridiculously low (like 30 lower than Buerhle!?).

So yeah, I don't see a little more patience hurting at all.