PDA

View Full Version : Am I just partial, or is this team really special?

Lillian
10-06-2005, 09:32 AM
Am I just partial, or is this team really special. When I saw Mark put his arms around Iguchi, like a guy hugging his kid brother, it gave me goose bumps. What a contrast to the egocentric, "hot dog" type celebrations so commonly on display in other dugouts. There were no "end zone" type antics, either on the field, or in the dugout, after his dramatic homer. I was at the game, so I couldn't see in the dugout, but from what I saw on the TV highlights, there was nothing but sincere affection for a teammate, and equally genuine pride and joy by a humble yet proud athlete, for having made such a significant contribution to his team.
I don't know how all of you feel, but for me, these guys are all not only very likable, but it seems so much easier to relate to them.
There is a wonderful human side to this team. The international flavor of the team was discussed in the Tribune this morning, but for me it is really more about the quality of the people on this team. These guys really seem special, and they are certainly doing something extraordinary together. What a season!!!

1951Campbell
10-06-2005, 09:34 AM
This is heresy for me, but I think this team is even more likable than the '83 Sox.

MsSoxVixen22
10-06-2005, 09:40 AM
Am I just partial, or is this team really special. When I saw Mark put his arms around Iguchi, like a guy hugging his kid brother, it gave me goose bumps. What a contrast to the egocentric, "hot dog" type celebrations so commonly on display in other dugouts. There were no "end zone" type antics, either on the field, or in the dugout, after his dramatic homer. I was at the game, so I couldn't see in the dugout, but from what I saw on the TV highlights, there was nothing but sincere affection for a teammate, and equally genuine pride and joy by a humble yet proud athlete, for having made such a significant contribution to his team.
I don't know how all of you feel, but for me, these guys are all not only very likable, but it seems so much easier to relate to them.
There is a wonderful human side to this team. The international flavor of the team was discussed in the Tribune this morning, but for me it is really more about the quality of the people on this team. These guys really seem special, and they are certainly doing something extraordinary together. What a season!!!

I agree with you Lillian. I felt the same way when Mark hugged Gooch. I got alittle misty eyed and I thought it was sweet. :redface: But that's how Mark is-he's a great guy and along with Paulie I guess, are the "captains" of this team. We have a great bunch of guys on this team-no diva antics from them. They've been winning for a reason-certain people have chemisrty t/g and boy do these guys have it. Each one of them contributes something to this team. I've never been more proud of a bunch of guys! I have faith in you guys to bring home a WS!!!!! :bandance: :tongue:

pythons007
10-06-2005, 10:09 AM
This team is very special. They come in as a team and not as a bunch of individuals playing a team sport. There are no ego's that Ozzie has to deal with on this team like others (Red Sox/Yankees). Which makes his job all about baseball. I love this team and how they play the game. Let's go to Beantown and take the last one!! GO WHITESOX!!:cool:

spiffie
10-06-2005, 10:30 AM
I started to get the feeling like this was a "special" team when MB came out before the All-Star game to rally support for Podsednik to get voted on. That seemed like such a cool, out of the ordinary thing to do.

As I told a friend last night, I am going to miss this team, whether the season ends Sunday or 3 weeks from now. There is something unique, something beautiful about this exact combination of people at this exact time, and I think it has touched me even more than the 1990 Sox did.

Madvora
10-06-2005, 10:40 AM
I do think they are a special team and I've been waiting for KW to put this type of team together for 3 years. Finally when I'm at my last straw, they actually do it and look what happens...

Also, this is a team that you can see yourself looking back at years from now and remembering Jenks and McCarthy on the team as rookies and Iguchi in his first year and Pierzynski in his first year and Dye, Hermanson etc....

harwar
10-06-2005, 10:43 AM
What is "special' is that we are watching this team get better and better with each passing game.

miker
10-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Maybe its because I'm getting older, but I don't remember being this pumped about the Sox in '83, '93 or 2000. All season they pulled victories out of you-know-where and the way they pulled out of their nose dive on the last week of the season...this team IS special!

Let's keep it going all the way!

kevin57
10-06-2005, 12:50 PM
I agree. This season has been magical. That doesn't mean that we haven't earned it, haven't taken our lumps, too.

The 2000 playoffs seemed blah. We actually entered that series in a hitting slump and decided we weren't about to break a good thing! :angry:

'83 and '93 it seemed like Sox management gave/sold seats only to the Suits crowd. Not many average Joe Sox fans in attendance.

whitesoxruleall
10-06-2005, 12:55 PM
Just think guys.. If most of the people come back next year, we may have another great season just like this.. I pray to God Paulie comes back.. I think the chances are good. I hope.

hawkjt
10-06-2005, 01:30 PM
Yes; as the guy wrote in the trib today , this is a conglomeration of nationalities that represents MLB in the new millieum. And America- always. We are an immigrant country at our core and welcoming gooch ,jose, juan ect is second nature. Baseball -the univeral language which extends to the feel good moment when Burls hugged gooch.

There is not an unlikable player on this team including paulie and Carl who inexplicably is one of the most popular guys in the clubhouse.

And for everyone in the media and elsewhere that made so much fun at Kenny for bringing carl back twice- eat some crow. He is back to the nasty looking hitter of the first half. We know that the booing that is coming in Boston will not faze him in the least. he will feed off it and hurt them where it counts; against the green monster.

Do I lov this team- you betcha. The future is never a given- remember the spring training scare on Burls foot? But enjoy the journey- as Phil Jackson would say. And I do like the future of this team as well.

XplodingScorbord
10-06-2005, 02:06 PM
No matter what happens, this is a team that I will remember fondly for a long, long time.

My favorite moment of last nights game was seeing MB hug Gooch. It spoke volumes about the chemistry on this team.

my5thbench
10-06-2005, 02:56 PM
that hug was quite a moment....yea this team seems to have a special feel

Ozzie & the team seem to know it

pudge
10-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Um, we're just figuring out that this team is special? :?:

XplodingScorbord
10-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Um, we're just figuring out that this team is special? :?:

Nope, but it's so great to be reminded time and time again, in this era where we've come to expect our sports "heroes" to basically be jackasses.

Skippy
10-06-2005, 03:41 PM
Maybe its because I'm getting older, but I don't remember being this pumped about the Sox in '83, '93 or 2000. All season they pulled victories out of you-know-where and the way they pulled out of their nose dive on the last week of the season...this team IS special!

My feelings exactly.

Nothing else matters to me right now other than these Sox. I am so proud to be a White Sox fan.

I love these guys!

tstrike2000
10-06-2005, 04:08 PM

One reason we are more pumped is because of the scare the Indians gave us down the stretch. Our array of emotions have been used plus we finally made it back to the playoffs after some heartbreaking years since 2000. I think the culmination of all the above, plus the type of team we have with Ozzie at the healm just makes us hungry for the winner the White Sox organization and fans deserve.

MarySwiss
10-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Nope, but it's so great to be reminded time and time again, in this era where we've come to expect our sports "heroes" to basically be jackasses.

What's even more special, I think, is that despite the attempts by various mediots to make them out to be jackasses, they are so obviously NOT jackasses that none of us are fooled. Sure they have their quirks, but somehow, even those quirks are endearing. Make them seem more human. I don't look upon this bunch of guys as heroes, just as everyday guys doing their jobs--very well!

WSoxFanForever
10-06-2005, 05:25 PM
I can see the fun these guys have when I go to the Cell. It's contagious. Most of the jock jackasses play for the big market teams, and I'm grateful not to have "the best teams money can buy." I couldn't cheer for a team if I couldn't stand the players. Although, since I don't live in SF I can't know for sure, I can NOT imagine cheering for a total ass like Barry Bonds (not to mention probable cheater)

chopperjc
10-06-2005, 05:28 PM
No matter what happens, this is a team that I will remember fondly for a long, long time.

My favorite moment of last nights game was seeing MB hug Gooch. It spoke volumes about the chemistry on this team.

I wrote this in the game thread last night but and I do not remember who they were playing but it was a day game and Gooch had a brain cramp on a grounder and did not turn two he was very embarrased MB turned to him and motioned I got your back and got out of the inning, then in the later innings gooch hit a home run to put us in the lead for good. Picking each other up. The hugs are not a playoff off thing the team has been a "team" all year and yes I have been posting for a while saying this team is very special and I will remember the summer and fall of 05 for the rest of my life. :D:

wassagstdu
10-06-2005, 06:14 PM
Another good shot: AJ clapping for his "productive out" moving the runner to third. Maybe a little bit of self-promotion for the camera, but still he got it done and was happy about it and his teammates appreciated it too.

That's what has made the difference for this team all year, and I think Iguchi deserves a lot of credit for setting that tone.

Sxy Mofo
10-06-2005, 06:44 PM
Another good shot: AJ clapping for his "productive out" moving the runner to third. Maybe a little bit of self-promotion for the camera, but still he got it done and was happy about it and his teammates appreciated it too.

That's what has made the difference for this team all year, and I think Iguchi deserves a lot of credit for setting that tone.

I don't believe that's self-promotion at all. He wanted to get the runner to third with one out, because, in his mind, that was as good as scoring the run. If AJP flies out, crede's hit is not a run run, and that's not an inning like we had. Doing the things that you don't get credit for in the box score is what this team has done all year, and why they've won 101 games.

batmanZoSo
10-06-2005, 07:47 PM
This is heresy for me, but I think this team is even more likable than the '83 Sox.

Eh, screw that team...I mean didn't we match their entire offensive output in the first inning of Game 1 alone?

LongLiveFisk
10-06-2005, 08:28 PM
I think it's both, actually. Yes, we probably are biased (as most fans are towards their own team) but at the same time, these guys really are special. No matter what happens the rest of the postseason I will be proud of them...I mean, just the fact that we don't have to hear over and over again anymore how the "White Sox have not won a postseason home game since 1959" seals the deal for me....these guys rock! :bandance:

Domeshot17
10-07-2005, 01:41 AM
for me, this entire season has been special. Injuries forced me to stop playin college ball, and I went from super fan to complete die hard this year. My fiancee/girlfriend and her family live at 35th and ashland, mile from the park, so needless to say I probally have been to 25-30 games. I watched us blow teams out, be blown out, I saw Crede beat the indians in the 10th in a must win, and I saw Tadahito beat the Bo Sox in the 5th last night. Those 2 home runs, I have never felt a rush like those. I have never seen Chicago Rally the Sox like this, I have never witnessed a team that won when they couldnt,and got the most out of their abilities. No matter what happens in the playoffs, And I am wishing hoping praying for the best, this is and will be a very special team.

Nationally, they are the Rocky of the baseball world. They have been called pretenders all year, told they did not have enough talent, enough hitting, enough left handed power, and they could not succeed. While other player's were crushing the people that grew up idolizing them by testing positive for steroids, or shrinking to size and playing so bad it was obvious, the white sox were stealing bases and bunting and making diving catches, and playing a game we all like to call BASEBALL.