PDA

View Full Version : Red Cubs fans REALLY not taking Game 2 loss in stride

cheeses_h_rice
10-05-2005, 11:07 PM
This "BigWowTrump" turd (http://forums.espn.go.com/espn/thread?forumID=62&threadID=2476236&lastPostID=14501219) takes the cake for Biggest Boston Stroke of the Night.

doublem23
10-05-2005, 11:14 PM
Bill Mueller? Kevin Millar? Bronson Arroyo? Whoever relieved Fatass Wells out there?

Yeah, this team is stacked, too. :rolleyes:

Their arrogance and self-importance make this all the more sweet. Of course, had Iguchi let a grounder through the wickets and the Red Cubs capitalized on that, it wouldn't be because the Sawx are lucky, it's just what good teams do.

Finish these ****ing annoy chowderheads on Friday Freddy, and let them wait another 90 years for a championship they don't deserve.

kevin57
10-05-2005, 11:14 PM
No kidding! I think I see where ESPN gets there show prep from.:angry:

dugwood31
10-05-2005, 11:18 PM
That's brutal, but it's just one guy. Every team has a few idiots as fans. At yesterday's game I sat next to a self-proclaimed HUGE White Sox fan who asked me what position Iguchi plays. Maybe it's the 2-0 lead in me, but my advice is to laugh off the morons who don't know the game.

Ol' No. 2
10-05-2005, 11:22 PM
Pitching wins in October and look at this series:

Contreras > Clement
Beuhrle > Wells (in pitching ability, not weight)
Garcia > Wakefield
Garland isn't that much worse than this version of Schilling right now either:roflmao:

Fred Manrique
10-05-2005, 11:27 PM
No kidding! I think I see where ESPN gets there show prep from.:angry:

Truthfully, I think the ESPN guys are doing a good job during the postseason thus far. Maybe that is because we are up 2-0 and they can't cry on air, but I've enjoyed all the comments from Baseball Tonight to the on-air commentary.

Berman gets annoying, but he really just seems to cheer for whoever is doing well... Suttcliffe is hard to like but I'd feel that way whether he was good or not, he's a Cub so I can't stand him... Piazza has been shockingly good

Kruk, of course, took the opportunity on Baseball Tonight to talk about the Red Sox still having a chance, but I guess for ratings sake they can't say it's over.

antitwins13
10-05-2005, 11:27 PM
It's so great watching the Red Cub fans sweat!

Fred Manrique
10-05-2005, 11:28 PM
Kruk, of course, took the opportunity on Baseball Tonight to talk about the Red Sox still having a chance, but I guess for ratings sake they can't say it's over.

Wow a little too much post-game celebrating, I'm even quoting myself now.

I just want everyone to know I'm not jinxing this team, I know the series isn't over.

batmanZoSo
10-05-2005, 11:33 PM
Holy Christ there are some dumb people there.

The White Sox had the best record in the AL, and won 99 games. They have a knack for winning close games. They are very frustrating to play because they stay in the game and grind you down. Every team they beat comes away thinking that the White Sox were just lucky. Even the Royals' fans thought they had a better team. Why don't you give them a little credit, and admit that maybe, just maybe, they might be a decent team. They don't hit like the Red Sox or Yankees or Rangers, but they score enough to win, and you guys have nowhere near the pitching they have. The series isn't over, the White Sox held serve at home, and now it's your turn. This could be a great series before its over. Pitching and defense against overwhelming hitting, should be fun to watch.

This is a great post right here /\

Chips
10-05-2005, 11:34 PM
Boston fans are the most annoying fans I have ever met. They think the whole damn world revolves around them and their East Urinal ballpark. We have a much better and deeper rotation, we have better defense, and we have better situational hitting, we hit more jacks, we play better baseball, and we're up 2-0, so they can all shut the **** up.

CLR01
10-05-2005, 11:35 PM
Same **** new day. When did Cleveland mop the floor with us? Hopefully the "luck" will continue and teams will keep underestimating the Sox all the way to their first WS victory in 89 years.

batmanZoSo
10-05-2005, 11:38 PM
Ha...my god it's great to be beating these @#$%s. What a bunch of whiney losers.

I wonder if they'll make a movie about this. LMAO

soxfanreggie
10-05-2005, 11:41 PM
These Boston fans that are posting that crap are the bums...we were the best team in the AL this regular season, and we are showing that we can get it done in the playoffs too. I don't know how they think Contreras had a huge strike zone...it was their hitters that looked silly trying to hit Jose's pitches. We knocked them around 14-2 and showed that we can capitalize on mistakes. It's not our fault they made an error and then their "ace" gave up a home run. I don't know who I dislike more...these Boston fans of Flubs fans.

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-05-2005, 11:49 PM
You dont win World Series' with a lineup full of bums and a rotation full of decent but unspectacular guys..
I'm sure the Red Sox(and the rest of the MLB) wish that they had a rotation full of "decent but unspectacular guys" like the White Sox do. Hell, I'm sure they would be happy with one "decent but unspectacular guy" after these 2 games. :rolleyes:

Nellie_Fox
10-06-2005, 12:37 AM
...we were the best team in the AL this regular season...See, you just don't understand what's really important. Actual W-L is totally misleading. If you look at Pythagorean W% and third-order W%, you'd understand that the White Sox really didn't win the AL Central at all.
http://www.fantasycostumes.com/Merchant2/images/Propeller-Beanie-F16257-J.jpg

Mr. White Sox
10-06-2005, 12:59 AM
tcHa...my god it's great to be beating these @#$%s. What a bunch of whiney losers.

I wonder if they'll make a movie about this. LMAO

The Dude
10-06-2005, 01:18 AM
I despise Red Cubs fans more than the actual Cubs fans. At least you can have a decent conversation with a Cubs fan occasionally but try those Red Cubs....no chance. I hope we kick the **** out of the Red Flubs friday and put those sorry losers away wet!!!!!!!!!!!!

Optipessimism
10-06-2005, 01:20 AM
Bums huh?

Contreras, Buehrle, Garcia, Garland = all ACES on Boston's staff

El Duque, McCarthy = all No. 2's on Boston's staff

Sox bullpen >>>>>>>>> Boston bullpen

You have to also look at a player's value for what he does both in field and at the plate:
Pods >>> Ramirez on defense, Ramirez >>> Pods on offense
Crede > Mueller in the field, Mueller > Crede on offense
Rowand > Damon in the field, Damon > Rowand offensively
Dye >>>> Nixon both ways
Iguchi >>> Graffanino both ways
Konerko >>>> Millar/Olerud offensively, PK > Millar on the field, PK < Olerud defensively
Uribe I think is pretty much equal with Renteria all around
Varitek and AJ very close, with Varitek being a bit better at the dish

All in all, these 'bums' are a MUCH better team than these bum lickers in Boston. Enjoy sucking on it Boston.

chuckn98229
10-06-2005, 01:55 AM
The Red Cub fans have been fed a steady diet of hyper-crap from ESPN all season and unfortunately they believe it.

spiffie
10-06-2005, 02:09 AM
On http://www.redsoxnation.net (http://www.redsoxnation.net/) I saw this quote in response to everyone who was posting that the season was over after Game 2 ended...it kind of reminded me of certain mods during the very long months of August and September:

You were all right. No reason to believe in anything. Now you can all be self-satisfied that you were right. I'm very happy for you.

Amusing to see the dark clouds are not a local phenomoneon.

ThinWhiteDuque
10-06-2005, 02:11 AM
See, you just don't understand what's really important. Actual W-L is totally misleading. If you look at Pythagorean W% and third-order W%, you'd understand that the White Sox really didn't win the AL Central at all.

My vote for post of the year!!!!

:roflmao: :roflmao:

RockyMtnSoxFan
10-06-2005, 04:23 AM
I watched the game tonight in a sports bar here in Boulder. There was this really loud and obnoxious Red Cubs fan who kept making noise any time his former champions did anything. When Rowand drove in our first run and I and some other real Sox fans were celebrating, he said loudly "Scoreboard." Shortly thereafter, as I was jumping up and down while Gooch circled the bases, he was muttering something about Buckner and curses. As the game progressed, he began insulting the Sox and eventually just referred to them as the "other Chicago team," revealing himself as a true Red Flub fan/bandwagon member (at one point he was raving about future Hall of Famer John Olerud, just before he flied out). When Graffanino doubled in the ninth, he went nuts, yelling and running around the place, high-fiving other Red Cubs fans. He pretended that the umpire was blind as Jenks blew his 95+ mph heaters by the remaining Other Sox hitters. When the game was over, he said "We came back from 0-3 last year, we'll do it again." I just laughed in his face, and another Real Sox fan said "Just wait until 2090 for your next championship." I thought the whole thing was amusing and showed the ignorance and immaturity of the bandwagon-jumping frat boy Red Cubs fans. I suppose they're not all like that, but most of the ones I've encountered are.

schmitty9800
10-06-2005, 06:20 AM
That's brutal, but it's just one guy. Every team has a few idiots as fans. At yesterday's game I sat next to a self-proclaimed HUGE White Sox fan who asked me what position Iguchi plays. Maybe it's the 2-0 lead in me, but my advice is to laugh off the morons who don't know the game.

It looked like he was playing right field yesterday ;)

Law11
10-06-2005, 07:39 AM

I actually heard a guy behind me say where does Ventura Play...
His friend just laughed at him... You could tell he felt stupid...

dividedsk717
10-06-2005, 07:45 AM
If winning 99 games, getting home field advantage and having a 2-0 lead on one of the supposed best teams in baseball is luck, then I'd rather be lucky than good anyday.

For a fan base that prides itself on looking at numbers for a basis on arguments, having intelligent conversations about the game and generally being all knowledgable about the game, they sure don't know how to look at things objectively.

The Sox executed, they didn't. Those are the facts, and they need to deal with it.

And they should really be worried that they need to beat Garcia, Garland AND Contreras consecutively to win the series. But they won't be, because ESPN will say they shouldn't be.

Sure, they've come back before. But a lot of things have happened before, like the Flubs winning a World Series, so I'm not so concerned about that. They need to deal with the present situation, because a lot of things have changed since last year.

Bill Polian, the Indy Colts GM, says luck is what happens when hard work and preparation come together. I hope they're ready for more luck on Friday.

MPlesha
10-06-2005, 07:48 AM
All our little wagon jumpers are going to have to discard their Red Sux gear for Yankee or Angels gear next.........

This is truly a thing of beauty to watch unfold!!!

GO WHITE SOX!

1951Campbell
10-06-2005, 08:10 AM
See, you just don't understand what's really important. Actual W-L is totally misleading. If you look at Pythagorean W% and third-order W%, you'd understand that the White Sox really didn't win the AL Central at all.

My perception of the Red Sox boards I've perused is that they are heavily laden with propellerheads. Lots of VORP and whatnot.

Hendu
10-06-2005, 08:18 AM
How quickly these Red Cubs fans forget. Just last week, they were standing up cheering the score of the Sox-Cleveland games. If it wasn't for our group of bums, the Red Cubs might not even be here.

DAllen15
10-06-2005, 08:31 AM
I actually heard a guy behind me say where does Ventura Play...
His friend just laughed at him... You could tell he felt stupid...

I've been at both games wearing my 1972 Red Pinstrip Dick Allen Sox Jersey and both days no less than six "hard core" white sox fans came up to taunt me because they thought it was a red sox jersey.

It's embarrassing for them when I gracefully explain to them who the jersey belongs to, and when doing so, I know that they have no idea who I am speaking of. Then they get this dejected look on thier face realizing that they really aren't the super white sox fan that they think they are (or are pretending to be), and worse, that I know their dirty little secret.

As much as a full park is nice, I'll always have fond memories sitting in 40 degree weather in april/may with the couple of thousand white sox fans who have the same sickness as all of us on this board!!

A sickness that can only be cured by MORE COWBELL!!!!! Go White Sox!!

skobabe8
10-06-2005, 08:33 AM
Red cubs fans got awful quiet on that board after they were put in their place. :D:

1951Campbell
10-06-2005, 08:36 AM
Amusing to see the dark clouds are not a local phenomoneon.

Looks like the dark clouds rode the jet stream east. :D:

KnightSox
10-06-2005, 09:06 AM
I was lurking at Red Sox nation and couldn't believe my eyes,In response to the series shifting to Boston one poster remarked "we'll be fine at the friendly confines on friday". After reading that,calling them the "Red Cubs" could not be more meaningful. Anybody else ever hear them goofs refer to Fenway as the "friendly confines"?

Cambridge
10-06-2005, 09:07 AM
My perception of the Red Sox boards I've perused is that they are heavily laden with propellerheads. Lots of VORP and whatnot.

That is true to some extent, but it's a question of what you want. People go to different sites for different reasons.

Sons of Sam Horn fits the above description fairly well. One-line posts, gloating over wins, or making fun of fans of other teams are strongly discouraged, because they're more about discussing the game of baseball. A number of SoSH posters are actually involved in the game in different capacities.

Redsoxnation.net is a combination of that quality and the more visceral fan. Do they (I should say "we" because I'm a mod there) allow more "noise"? Yes, but we also delete a lot of posts and ban posters who don't contribue more than adolescent behavior. Overall, we prefer analysis to "Yankees suck."

So, it depends on what you enjoy and what the moderators and core members of a site demand. There are many different kinds of fans, and a variety of styles of message board. It's a matter of joining one that fits your interest, and fortunately the options continue to grow.

Vestigio
10-06-2005, 09:51 AM
http://forums.espn.go.com/espn/thread?forumID=733&threadID=2478041&lastPostID=14509384

Spoken like a True Red Cubs loser...

Fenway
10-06-2005, 10:10 AM
Musings after a terrible 6 AM flight from Midway :?:

Here is a stat for you.

David Wells was 134-0 (15 ND) when staked to a 4 or more run lead

until last night

Honestly the Red Sox can not continue to back themselves into holes like this in the playoffs. Ya they came back in 1999, 2003 and 2004 but a very big part of those comebacks is currently sitting under a mango tree and laughing. ( Hi Pedro )

But I am also convinced if Boston wins a Game 3 there WILL be a Game 5. And if we get the rainout, I will take my chances with David Wells again.

Another sure bet.

The Red Sox ( or Yankees/LAA ) will ask the umpires to inspect balls thrown by Contreras after what happened in Game 1. More than likely nothing will be found. But ya never know.

1951Campbell
10-06-2005, 10:17 AM
That is true to some extent, but it's a question of what you want. People go to different sites for different reasons.

Well, I just come down for more of a scout's analysis, or going by my eyeballs, rather than the kind of analysis that has me reaching for Euclid's Elements and Newton's Principia. :D:

Palehose13
10-06-2005, 10:36 AM
The Red Sox ( or Yankees/LAA ) will ask the umpires to inspect balls thrown by Contreras after what happened in Game 1. More than likely nothing will be found. But ya never know.

:rolleyes: You're kidding, right? How about checking David Wells? He may not lather up his arms with shaving cream anymore, but I have an idea where he might have something...a place NO ONE would want to check.

But instead of looking for another team cheating, why can't the Red Cub fans admit that they have been beaten the last two days by an inferior team.

Fenway
10-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Well, I just come down for more of a scout's analysis, or going by my eyeballs, rather than the kind of analysis that has me reaching for Euclid's Elements and Newton's Principia. :D:

I'm not sure Bill James can get through some of his analysis :?:

CHISOXFAN13
10-06-2005, 10:40 AM
:rolleyes: You're kidding, right? How about checking David Wells? He may not lather up his arms with shaving cream anymore, but I have an idea where he might have something...a place NO ONE would want to check.

But instead of looking for another team cheating, why can't the Red Cub fans admit that they have been beaten the last two days by an inferior team.

I guess it was a matter of time until Fenway started making excuses.

True colors are starting to show.

Fenway
10-06-2005, 10:42 AM
I guess it was a matter of time until Fenway started making excuses.

True colors are starting to show.

I am just reporting back what is being discussed on Boston media.

Look I think everyone on both sides has to concede it was an odd thing for Jose to do.

some pics from The Globe
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Original_Photo/2005/10/05/1128555647_7455.jpg

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2005/10/05/1128555811_4161.jpg
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Original_Photo/2005/10/05/1128555945_0232.jpg
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Original_Photo/2005/10/05/1128556088_4763.jpg
Sheryl A. Swibel admits these games are difficult for her, thus her "Bi-Soxual" proclamation. Swibel was born in Newton, but has lived in Chicago for the past 20 years.

CHISOXFAN13
10-06-2005, 10:44 AM

Look I think everyone on both sides has to concede it was an odd thing for Jose to do.

What's an odd thing to do? Winning?

He dominated the vaunted Red Sox lineup and the entire Northeast cries.

Palehose13
10-06-2005, 10:44 AM

What did he do that was odd?

MushMouth
10-06-2005, 10:45 AM

:whiner::whiner::whiner:

Get over it... he took the ball home. People do it every game, all the time, for all kinds of reasons.

Enjoy getting swept tomorrow, not sure who or what you'll use as an excuse at that point.

Palehose13
10-06-2005, 10:48 AM
What's an odd thing to do? Winning?

He dominated the vaunted Red Sox lineup and the entire Northeast cries.

Exactly. I guess they are forgetting his dominance this second half and a couple key wins over the Yankees. I've heard an interview with Coop about Contreras and they have been working on things like; tipping off pitches, working faster (not walking around the mound after every pitch), arm angle, etc. Credit Jose's change to Don Cooper and himself, not some theory that he is doctoring the ball.

He was fantastic in Cuba. That is why the Yankess wanted him. MLB hitters could hit him though. Is it so far-fetched to think that Coop was able to polish his raw talent and not the Yankees? :rolleyes:

Palehose13
10-06-2005, 10:49 AM
:whiner::whiner::whiner:

Get over it... he took the ball home. People do it every game, all the time, for all kinds of reasons.

Enjoy getting swept tomorrow, not sure who or what you'll use as an excuse at that point.

Is that what was so odd? I thought it was pretty common to take the ball when they did something special.

voodoochile
10-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Is that what was so odd? I thought it was pretty common to take the ball when they did something special.

I thought that was why catchers gave the pitcher the ball after every complete game victory that ends in a K...

I know that didn't happen yesterday, but come on. Sour ****ing grapes...

Fenway
10-06-2005, 10:54 AM
He was fantastic in Cuba. That is why the Yankess wanted him. MLB hitters could hit him though. Is it so far-fetched to think that Coop was able to polish his raw talent and not the Yankees? :rolleyes:

Steinbrenner's people in Tampa are well aware of what Cooper has done. They may come calling with $$$$$$$$$$$$

There is an elephant in Boston's room that may come into focus sooner than later. Epstein becomes a free agent as soon as Boston's season ends and they are far apart over money. Cashman is not going back to NY, he a DC guy.

Theo may well wait and see what happens there. Friends of his say he is unhappy living in the fishbowl of Boston, that it is very hard for him to relax. He loves the job and the city but he is by nature a private person.

CHISOXFAN13
10-06-2005, 10:58 AM
Steinbrenner's people in Tampa are well aware of what Cooper has done. They may come calling with $$$$$$$$$$$$

There is an elephant in Boston's room that may come into focus sooner than later. Epstein becomes a free agent as soon as Boston's season ends and they are far apart over money. Cashman is not going back to NY, he a DC guy.

Theo may well wait and see what happens there. Friends of his say he is unhappy living in the fishbowl of Boston, that it is very hard for him to relax. He loves the job and the city but he is by nature a private person.

:whocares

Cambridge
10-06-2005, 10:59 AM

What was the "something special" he did that merited bringing the ball into the dugout in the middle of the game? I'm not accusing him of anything, I just haven't heard a reason for any significance the ball might have had. Has he been asked and given an explanation?

Iwritecode
10-06-2005, 11:02 AM
What was the "something special" he did that merited bringing the ball into the dugout in the middle of the game? I'm not accusing him of anything, I just haven't heard a reason for any significance the ball might have had. Has he been asked and given an explanation?

No.

Which is funny because if it was a big deal the media would have blown it out of proportion by now.

scottjanssens
10-06-2005, 11:07 AM
I noticed yesterday that the Sox players grabbed the ball after each inning. I saw Paulie grab it as he ran past the mound toward the dugout. At first I thought they were saving them a souvenaires but he tossed it to a fan before entering the dugout. More than anything, I think it's just to be sure the opposing pitcher get a fresh ball that hasn't been worked over yet.

FoulkeFan
10-06-2005, 11:10 AM

I for one hope they inspect Jose Contreras's balls. I think you'll find that they're bigger than some of the Red Sox pitcher's balls. :D:

But seriously, anyone who has watched Contreras pitch from the beginning of the season knows what the difference is since the All-Star break. He's not walking guys anymore! I don't think there's anything Jose could put on the ball that would cause that to happen.

Fenway
10-06-2005, 11:11 AM
No.

Which is funny because if it was a big deal the media would have blown it out of proportion by now.

WEEI harping on it ( with an off day it just make take a life of its own )

Interesting that Michael Holley and Dale Arnold on WEEI are harping on Manny NOT running hard on the single he hit in the first saying he should have had a double.

slavko
10-06-2005, 11:17 AM
The ball doctoring theory requires us to believe that Pierzynski is unaware of any doctoring because he rolled the ball to the mound. HOT FLASH! Your catcher knows if you are doctoring the ball! So he isn't doctoring the ball! Get over it!

voodoochile
10-06-2005, 11:17 AM

Players do that all the time too. Maybe the ball got scuffed while hitting the dirt or when being struck by a bat. Probably 10 of the 18 balls that end an inning in a full game end up going back to the dugout with whatever player it ends up with.

You guys are bordering on trolling right now. I know who you are Cambridge, and thank you for contacting Daver to let him know it, but I won't let this devolve into a fight about whether Contreras cheated with NO proof that he did except for some sour grape beantown reporters whining for their fanbase.

knocko94
10-06-2005, 11:21 AM
The ball doctoring theory requires us to believe that Pierzynski is unaware of any doctoring because he rolled the ball to the mound. HOT FLASH! Your catcher knows if you are doctoring the ball! So he isn't doctoring the ball! Get over it!

Exactly. I've seen El Duque and Contreras both grab the ball after an inning, but AJ would just walk off with the ball in his mitt if they were doing anything.

Flight #24
10-06-2005, 11:23 AM

Jose was quoted in the papers on Wednesday saying that he wanted to keep a ball from the game as a memento.

Cambridge
10-06-2005, 11:33 AM
You guys are bordering on trolling right now. I know who you are Cambridge, and thank you for contacting Daver to let him know it, but I won't let this devolve into a fight about whether Contreras cheated with NO proof that he did except for some sour grape beantown reporters whining for their fanbase.

Please understand that I didn't bring the subject up, and in my post said that I wasn't accusing him of anything. I simply hadn't seen an explanation and asked if one had been offered. I highly doubt that Contreras was doing anything to the ball, and I've never insuated he did.

Just because I'm posting from a Boston perspective doesn't mean I'm trolling. I don't expect everyone to agree with my opinions (this particular issue being a question rather than opinion), but I'm here to talk baseball, not cause trouble.

voodoochile
10-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Please understand that I didn't bring the subject up, and in my post said that I wasn't accusing him of anything. I simply hadn't seen an explanation and asked if one had been offered. I highly doubt that Contreras was doing anything to the ball, and I've never insuated he did.

Just because I'm posting from a Boston perspective doesn't mean I'm trolling. I don't expect everyone to agree with my opinions, but I'm here to talk baseball, not cause trouble.

I didn't suggest you are, but the definition of trolling isn't limited to "you suck" as you know. If someone is posting stuff that continues or escalates a volatile subject without anything to back it up, it's trolling.

If you truly believe that Contreras was NOT cheating as you state, why not just say that and laugh at the idiots who wrote the articles in the first place. Why repeat the nonsense? Reporters are trying to make a buck. They do that by appealing to the fans. Fans in Beantown want to find something to hold on to and here it comes... Contreras is doctoring the balls. :rolleyes:

I don't care what you talk about on your site, but bringing that stuff here or defending it here even by simply asking a question to which you already know the answer is borderline trolling, like I said.

bluestar
10-06-2005, 11:45 AM
This cheating angle is just absurd...and arrogant. The same goes for placing all the blame for the loss on Graffanino for that error.

Cambridge
10-06-2005, 11:51 AM
I don't care what you talk about on your site, but bringing that stuff here or defending it here even by simply asking a question to which you already know the answer is borderline trolling, like I said.

I apologize for not making myself clearer in my initial post on the subject, because I understand that fans of opposing teams are under more scrutiny for obvious reasons.

To clarify, I was responding directly to a poster who said: "I thought it was pretty common to take the ball when they did something special." I didn't know the answer to my question, and it appears as though the answer is that there wasn't anything special about the ball (Contraras's 1,000 MLB K or somesuch thing).

Yes, the media is looking for a story in this, but there isn't one. There are a lot more important things going on in this series.

dividedsk717
10-06-2005, 11:53 AM
If Contreras WERE to doctor a baseball in between innings, what's he gonna say to the ump when he goes out to pitch ... "no thanks, I've got my own ball???"

I can't imagine that any umpire, especially in the playoffs, would allow a pitcher to bring a ball onto the field of play for official use.

Sounds like excuses to me.

scottjanssens
10-06-2005, 11:58 AM
If Contreras WERE to doctor a baseball in between innings, what's he gonna say to the ump when he goes out to pitch ... "no thanks, I've got my own ball???"

No one doctored any balls. That said:

Pitchers doctor the ball on the mound. If a pitcher has doctored a ball they'll certainly take it with to get rid of the evidence.

kevin57
10-06-2005, 11:58 AM
Okay, I propose a complete cessation of the "Contreras Ball Mystery." Complete.

It's all been said, insinuated, rehashed, and vomited up.

Enough! :mad:

JB98
10-06-2005, 12:25 PM
Okay, I propose a complete cessation of the "Contreras Ball Mystery." Complete.

It's all been said, insinuated, rehashed, and vomited up.

Enough! :mad:

I agree.

This just in: THE WHITE SOX SCORED 14 RUNS OFF BOSTON PITCHING IN GAME ONE!!!! I tend to think that was the main reason the Red Sox lost.

Boston may have won the World Series last year, but the fans and the media there are still losers. The excuse-making is really pathetic.

kninchicago
10-06-2005, 12:33 PM
I actually have two positive Red Sox fan stories that I haven't shared yet.

One is I was waiting in line for my cheddarwurst right before the start of the game(best food at the park IMO) and a man in front of me had a Red Sox jersey on. He was making small talk with me and others in line, told us he drove through the night from Nashville to see the Red Sox play. He bought day of game release tickets, they were sweet! Right near the scout seats practically. He was very friendly, didn't say anything nasty, and as he left said "may the best sox win!" with a smile on his face.

The other is my good friend who was raised in Boston but now lives here and follows the White Sox closely. I was thinking he would be super bummed, but he is handling the 2 games down like a champ, and said if any team was going to show the Red Sox up it was the White Sox especially now that they're back to playing April/May/June style games.

So we have some class act fans for both teams.

Vernam
10-06-2005, 12:35 PM
The Red Sox ( or Yankees/LAA ) will ask the umpires to inspect balls thrown by Contreras after what happened in Game 1. More than likely nothing will be found. But ya never know.With the advent of super slo-mo video, it's quite plain that Conteras has the ball jammed between his index and middle fingers. Are you saying he also lubes it up? Just to make extra-sure the fearsome BoSox can't touch his pitches?

Jose, if you're reading this, lay off the K-Y for the next game and see if they can hit a ball that only drops three feet instead of four. Of course, "they" will be the Yanks or Angels.:cool:

Vernam

TaylorStSox
10-06-2005, 12:45 PM

Both him and El Duque keep every ball when they end the inning with a K.

There's never been a question about the quality of his stuff. Check the ball.

maurice
10-06-2005, 01:17 PM
How quickly these Red Cubs fans forget. Just last week, they were standing up cheering the score of the Sox-Cleveland games. If it wasn't for our group of bums, the Red Cubs might not even be here.

:ozzie
"Remember, Red Cubs . . . we brought you into
this playoff world, and we can take you out."

maurice
10-06-2005, 01:23 PM
a very big part of those comebacks is currently sitting under a mango tree and laughing. ( Hi Pedro )

Indeed. Some of your fellow Red Cub fans seem to be unaware of this extremely significant fact.

But I am also convinced if Boston wins a Game 3 there WILL be a Game 5. And if we get the rainout, I will take my chances with David Wells again.

Whatever, dude. Just remember what happened the last time a Sox / Boston game got rained out. You were losing the rain out and you haven't beaten us since then. Heck, we haven't lost a single game in over a week.
:gulp:

The Red Sox ( or Yankees/LAA ) will ask the umpires to inspect balls thrown by Contreras after what happened in Game 1.

Well, the idiot Red Cubs might ask, but the Yanks and the Angels are smart enough to know that Contreras always has had some of the best stuff in the league and doesn't need to cheat. He just needs to throw strikes. Contreras + strikes = a lot of disappointed Red Cub fans. Also, please explain to me how doctoring a ball makes it go 95 MPH and right past a flailing Manny? I guess Jenks must be cheating too.
:rolleyes:

JorgeFabregas
10-06-2005, 03:01 PM
I went to a Cardinals game and a White Sox game with some Red Sox fans this summer. They wanted to play game that involved wagering on whether the ball rolled by the catcher at the end of an inning would stop on the grass or dirt of the pitcher's mound. Is this what the problem is? Jose's introduced a third possibility to their game? :rolleyes: