PDA

View Full Version : Playoff superstitions?

slobes
10-05-2005, 11:14 PM
I was wondering if anyone has some good luck/superstitious stories to share. I got one of my own, explaining how we have won the last two games...

So I left school yesterday right before lunch for Game 1. As I'm leaving, my friend had just come back from the cafeteria line. He gives me a pickle from his lunch, claiming that it will be good luck. I throw it away, thinking it is just a pickle, but a few seconds later I fish it out of the garbage can, thinking that I would regret it my entire life if the sox were to lose that game because I threw away a pickle. So i bring it in the car, and once I get to the cell, I wrap it in a buncha napkins and bring it to my seat with me. Needless to say, we won the game easily. I get home and put the pickle in my freezer.
Next morning, I bring the pickle to school with me. By this time it is all dried up, but I still bring it to Game 2. Never letting go of it the entire game, we pull out on top of this one too. I am convinced the pickle helped us, and I can't wait to bust it out for Game 3.

Anyone else as superstitious as me? or am I just insane

DaleJRFan
10-05-2005, 11:18 PM
I have yet to wash my ARow jersey since I wore it the night they clinched... I also had another jersey returned to me at work that I loaned to a friend. Since the day it was returned and subsequently hung on my coat rack, the Sox have won seven in a row. It's not going anywhere...

Taliesinrk
10-05-2005, 11:19 PM
A couple..

One is that I have to keep my fingers crossed from the 7th inninng on.. sometimes longer.. (tonight's case from the 4th).. anyway, it seems as though that they don't necessarily lose when I have them crossed (this has gone on for 2 years now) but the probability that they win when i cross them increases (no numbers.. just from my recount of the situations)..
Secondly, when I'm at home, I do not wear jersey's/ any team apparel on game (or important game) days. This holds true for any team i like (obviously except the one I play on)... just doesnt turn out well.

SABRSox
10-05-2005, 11:21 PM
I refuse to take off my White Sox hat at work. I'm also wearing my wristband until the season's over.

Muopsies
10-05-2005, 11:23 PM
i have this white sox rubber band and every morning since last wednesday, i've washed it because i wore it jogging the previous night. they havent lost since i've did that. you're goddamn right that i'll wash it tomorrow and the next day and every day after that.

TDog
10-05-2005, 11:24 PM
If I were superstitious, I would suggest that my moving into exile in Alaska has helped. I can't even watch the games on TV. In 2000, I had tickets for all possible postseason home Sox games, and all I did was watch them lose two agonizing games to Seattle.

Some people wouldn't see the point of not watching the Sox so they can win, but, hey, if I'm taking one for the team ....

oeo
10-05-2005, 11:25 PM
There's a recliner and a couch in the living room. The whole game yesterday, I was in the recliner...and boy did we win. From the beginning to about the fourth inning (may have been the fifth), I got up and moved to the recliner. We scored 5 runs and won the game. The bad thing is, I'm going home this weekend...hopefully they can win without me. :redneck

Viva Medias B's
I've been carrying an Our Lady of Guadalupe prayer card in my pocket. She is obviously a White Sox fan because the Sox have done mostly very well since I've been carrying the prayer card. Hopefully, she will lead us to a World Series championship.

I should note, however, she did nothing to stop Penn State when they came back to beat Northwestern a week and a half ago. I guess Our Lady of Guadalupe isn't an NU fan.

chisox56
for today's game I was in another room where I could hear the tv, but wasn't watching and I kept listening to thunderstruck over and over and that was the inning where they scored all their runs. They always seem to do good when i'm not watching the game.

Taliesinrk
my bad.. i forgot.. i never take my wristband off.. ever

chisoxfan83
10-05-2005, 11:29 PM
i have a collection of bobble heads in my room I bobble hawk then dj then my fisk one then the white sox bobble from the 2003 all star game. I almost left for the game today without doing it and had to run back in the house.

whtsx1959
10-05-2005, 11:29 PM
I wore a new sox hat to yesterday's game, I was with someone who wore that hat at the AJ Walkoff game, so i gave it a try. I intended to wear the hat today, but took it off when I ate dinner. Next inning the Sox score 5 runs. Thats when I realized I wasn't wearing the hat. Made the rule that I can now only wear that hat to Sox games.

HebrewHammer
10-05-2005, 11:33 PM
Embarrassed to admit this...but, I have worn the same Karate Kid t-shirt underneath my jersey to each of the last four home games the Sox have played. 4 games wearing the shirt, 4 wins. You think I'm not wearing it on Friday?

CHISOXFAN13
10-05-2005, 11:37 PM
I shaved my head bald last Tuesday.

Monday night, I took the razor to it again. I now do it every night!

whitesoxwilkes
10-05-2005, 11:38 PM
I haven't shaved since Monday, and won't until we lose a game.

antitwins13
10-05-2005, 11:40 PM
In the 2002 season I want to say the Sox were on the verge of making the playoffs and I didn't change my underware when they went on a 7 game win streak.

voodoochile
10-05-2005, 11:41 PM
I was wondering if anyone has some good luck/superstitious stories to share. I got one of my own, explaining how we have won the last two games...

So I left school yesterday right before lunch for Game 1. As I'm leaving, my friend had just come back from the cafeteria line. He gives me a pickle from his lunch, claiming that it will be good luck. I throw it away, thinking it is just a pickle, but a few seconds later I fish it out of the garbage can, thinking that I would regret it my entire life if the sox were to lose that game because I threw away a pickle. So i bring it in the car, and once I get to the cell, I wrap it in a buncha napkins and bring it to my seat with me. Needless to say, we won the game easily. I get home and put the pickle in my freezer.
Next morning, I bring the pickle to school with me. By this time it is all dried up, but I still bring it to Game 2. Never letting go of it the entire game, we pull out on top of this one too. I am convinced the pickle helped us, and I can't wait to bust it out for Game 3.

Anyone else as superstitious as me? or am I just insane

Your friends are laughing at you...:tongue:

I got one superstition left and I ain't giving it up...

I never wear my Sox hat indoors while watching a game yet I keep "him" close by and make sure he is "facing" the TV set/computer so he can watch too. I've taken to taking him to work and putting him on a shelf in the bar so he can watch the game even when I am not with him. I'll touch or pat him for luck, mostly when the Sox are batting. So far so good and I think he's going to be spending a lot more time at Chili's in the next few weeks...:)

WikdChiSoxFan
10-05-2005, 11:48 PM
i wore the same clothes (except boxers and sox), i sat in the same spot at puffers, i wore the same hat until i saw it wasn't working, then i put on a different hat, didn;t work, so than i went hatless...boooyah!!!and then won the traditional blinking sox hat in joyous victory...

oh and "i'm master of my domain"

huskie26
10-05-2005, 11:50 PM
It's funny to see this thread.

I was lucky enough to go to the game yesterday. At the game they handed out those rally towels. Now I really didn't have a place to put the towel so I held onto it in my right hand all game. Except the one half inning I left my seat to get a soda. During that time it was in my back pocket. Boston also scored two runs that half inning.

So I am watching the game tonight and I start wondering what I am doing wrong. In the middle of the forth inning I put on the hat i was wearing yesterday and grabbed my rally towel. The White Sox promptly scored five runs and took the lead. I didn't put the towel down from that point on.

Now I don't consider myself a superstitious person but I am trying to figure out how to do my job on Friday while holding that towel in my right hand. :D:

Parrothead
10-05-2005, 11:53 PM
Must wear my "sunday black bill simas" jersey and black shoes. 9 - 1 in them.

siugrad25
10-05-2005, 11:53 PM
Been wearing my '87 hat since last Thursday and wore my playoff shirt yesterday and obviously today. Also had my 6-month-year-old son in his sox outfit yesterday. My wife washed it last night so he could wear it today. Simple things.

Fuller_Schettman
10-06-2005, 12:01 AM
Superstitions are for geeks. :redneck

So anyway, my new one is to not wear any of my Sox shirts while outside of the Greater Chicagoland TV Viewing Area. It just didn't work out well the last 2 playoffs.

But Friday when I get to my hotel room at around gametime, I am definitely changing shirts!

10-06-2005, 12:07 AM
Shaved my head Sunday after the Cle game....haven't shaved at all this week and I don't plan too until we lose!

doublem23
10-06-2005, 12:09 AM

Same here, I don't remember when I last shaved, but this morning I was gonna, but then I thought about it and now I refuse to until we're eliminated.

SoxRulecubsdrool
10-06-2005, 12:24 AM
I found that drinking excessively during the games keeps us on a roll. I am not going to stop now. If that is what I need to do, I will do it. Wife completely understands! What a gal! Also, I have no fingernails left.

Side note: Anyone with an extra liver, please IM me immediately!

Ekwall
10-06-2005, 01:28 AM
I've taken to tapping/knocking on the wooden table in my house in traditional "knock on wood situations" brought on by ESPN's announcers. This supposedly nullifies any 'jinx' affect which makes an event more or less likely when it is mentioned publicly. This goes from a two-finger tap for fairly innocous statements like "Graffanino will have a chance to redeem himself in the ninth" to a hard pounding when the Sox's record in one-run games was mentioned late in game 2.

getonbckthr
10-06-2005, 01:42 AM
i also with the shaving situation, however mine is a little extreme. all season i had a real nice and somewhat long goatee. on august 10, my bday, a girl who im friends with asked me to shave it cause she forgot what i looked like with out it. not thinking anything of it i shaved it off. from august 10-sept 22 i didnt shave again during that time span the sox went 18-22 and their lead shrinked. on friday sept 23 i went to the sox twins game and decided to shave, i havent shaved since and they are 10-2. i'm getting the feeling i had a bad luck shave, therefor the near choke was my fault.:dtroll:

Sarah
10-06-2005, 01:50 AM
Lucky enough to have been to both the playoff games...

I'm one of the 'I haven't washed my clothes and I'm not planning on it, either' people. So I would recommend avoiding me if you see me. Oh, and I went out to a bar wearing these things last night, so they reek of sweat, beer and cigarettes. Febreeze is just not helping this at all.

Oh, and I wear my White Sox cami to bed every night. But that's for my eyes only.:wink:

tifosiv122
10-06-2005, 02:19 AM
Yup, girl wasn't home the day before game 1 win, and that night...she's back now...but I will not have sex till we lose. Yup, taking the ultimate sacrifice.

Erik

getonbckthr
10-06-2005, 02:26 AM
Yup, girl wasn't home the day before game 1 win, and that night...she's back now...but I will not have sex till we lose. Yup, taking the ultimate sacrifice.

Erik
since that wont be for a couple of weeks tell her i am available, i will be your timo.

Whitesox029
10-06-2005, 02:46 AM
Lucky Jeans. 9-0 in last 9 games during which I wear them. I leave them on the same spot on the floor in my room every day (I didn't wear them the first two games in Detroit--it was hot out and I hadn't noticed the pattern yet).
I have attended three of the nine games--Friday and Sunday vs. the Twinks, Game 2 vs. Boston.

tifosiv122
10-06-2005, 04:33 AM
since that wont be for a couple of weeks tell her i am available, i will be your timo.

Throw in front-row world series tickets (or just one ticket, she can stay home) and I think we can work something out ;)

Erik

TheOldRoman
10-06-2005, 05:26 AM
I hadn't shaved since the day of our loss to the Twins (a thursday).
I was off of work on Friday and Saturday. I worked Sunday through Tuesday, but by then, I looked like I had gone 2 days tops.:redface: Anyway, I was off of work Wednesday through Monday to give me time to study for the LSATs. I didn't shave the whole time.
This past Monday, 11 days after I stopped shaving, I finally started looking like a caveman. I had to shave for work, and I couldn't decide what to do. I wanted to grow some bad ass chops like Crede started in July (during his hot streak - he immediately went cold when he shaved them). I also thought it might be "wise" to grow the chip crap like Crede has now. I couldn't decide which one to keep, so I ended up going with the chin length sideburns AND the chin hair. I am going to keep it like this throughout the playoffs, while shaving the rest of my face regularly.
I am going to dinner for my girlfriend's mother's birthday on Saturday night, and I will pleasantly surprise them with my facial hair. It doesn't matter. I'm not getting rid of it until the season ends.

boiler up
10-06-2005, 07:48 AM
I HAVE A GREAT STORY ABOUT SUPERSTITIOUS FROM YESTERDAY

i've been growing a full beard out for the past month with the plan to trim it up to look like buehrle's for his first start. After winning game 1 i was on the phone with my dad. I told him my plan and he screamed at me,

"DO NOT TOUCH THAT BEARD. YOU LEAVE EVERYTHING THE SAME. WALK THE SAME. DRIVE THE SAME CAR. WEAR THE SAME CLOTHES. DONT' TOUCH ANYTHING."

Once the sox became down 4-0 i knew i'd have to do something. right before the sox half of the 5th i ran to the bath room and shaved off the mustache and trimmed it up on the neck.

My girlfriend called me for the start of the inning and after they scored 1 run, she wanted to hang up to eat dinner. I wouldn't let her. I made her sit on the phone with me during the entire inning. Once iguchi came up i quitely said to her, he's going to hit a home run...

the rest is history

GoGoSox05
10-06-2005, 09:21 AM
I live in Columbus, OH and my family is one of very few who are avid Sox fans. The problem for the ALDS: we don't have cable. Since first two games have been on ESPN, we've gone to the neighboorhood Rooster's bar to watch the game. On Tuesday, we sat in our "lucky booth", the one we sat in when we went over the summer to watch Pierzynski hit the walk-off homer to cap the come from behind win by the Sox against the Dodgers. After we won Tuesday, we went back to watch at the same Rooster's last night... we got the same booth. Since we were down 4-0, my dad, mom, brother and me were starting to get nervous. However, in the middle of the fifth inning, my little brother suggested he and my mom switch seats, since they were sitting in different seats then they were on tuesday. they switched to their lucky seats in our lucky booth, and right after the commercial break.... we're winning 5-4!!!!!!!!

OH!foracold1
10-06-2005, 09:34 AM
My dear departed Dad was a die-hard Sox fan. A fond memory I had growing up was the smell of Old Spice. He always wore Old Spice cologne. After shaving Monday morning I noticed I had an old bottle of Old Spice, which I hardly ever use, and I told myself for good luck, Iím going to splash some on for every game. So far the results are unbelievable. Thanks Dad!
Hereís to ya! :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

whitesoxwilkes
10-06-2005, 10:14 AM
UPDATE: I have client meetings today, so unfortunately I had to shave this morning. I'm not pleased about it.

ChicagoHoosier
10-06-2005, 10:17 AM

I haven't shaved since Sunday of last week, and granted we dropped two to Detroit, but we were 5-2 after that, so I can't shave now!

Any my jersey and cap I wore to the last 2 games will not be washed and my same outfit will be worn for Friday's game, wherever I am (probably on my couch).

ChiSoxKB83
10-06-2005, 10:25 AM
I have a PK bobblehead doll that sits on my desk. When the Sox start loosing, I turn him around to face the wall. This happened after we played the first two games against Detriot. Paulie's still in the corner, facing the wall ...

Also, my dad always yells at me when I wear my sox shirt. I just couldn't resist wearing it yesterday around campus. By the third inning, I had to change clothing ... and the Sox turned it around

ps Did anyone see the segment on Comcast pregame show about how Reinsdorf got the John Wayne statue?

ChiSoxGirl
10-06-2005, 10:47 AM
On Tuesday, I started wearing 2 Sox Pride wristbands, instead of just one, and began wearing an I (heart) Sox pin on my shirt. We've all seen what's happened since Tuesday.... :wink:

SOXPHILE
10-06-2005, 10:48 AM
I go in the yard and blow up a baseball I caught at a game. Then, I pick up the pieces and mix it into some 'sghetti sauce, and serve it to my neighbors. Then I run around the neighborhood with a goat. Oh, wait......

voodoochile
10-06-2005, 11:06 AM
I've taken to tapping/knocking on the wooden table in my house in traditional "knock on wood situations" brought on by ESPN's announcers. This supposedly nullifies any 'jinx' affect which makes an event more or less likely when it is mentioned publicly. This goes from a two-finger tap for fairly innocous statements like "Graffanino will have a chance to redeem himself in the ninth" to a hard pounding when the Sox's record in one-run games was mentioned late in game 2.

Stop yourself now. I used to do this exact same thing. It got to the point where I was knocking on wood everytime anything was said that predicted any future outcome.

Now, whenever they post a stat I say the future outcome most positive for the team I am rooting for. For example if PK comes up with a couple of men on and the Sox down a few runs and they flash his stat line against the pitcher (Konerko is 4/12, 1HR, 5 RBI against Wakefield) I will say, "5 for 13 or nothing at all" (walk doesn't change those stats). Obviously opposing players get the opposite treatment. Last night when they flashed the 1-run stats, I just added one to the win total and said it out loud.

Oh I also have been known to stand and sing during the 7th inning stretch. If it is an away game, I do it before the top of the 7th and I have to be sitting the entire time the other team is batting in their half of the 7th paying extra care not to stand before that half-inning starts. The exception is if I HAVE to be standing like last night when I was working the bar for my bartender. If the other team makes a pitching change during the Sox half of the 7th, I stand and sing again. Nothing like two 7th innning stretches...:tongue:

voodoochile
10-06-2005, 11:11 AM
UPDATE: I have client meetings today, so unfortunately I had to shave this morning. I'm not pleased about it.

It's an off day, you are cool... Just don't shave tomorrow.

SOXintheBURGH
10-06-2005, 11:13 AM
I smoke a cigarette between the 6th and 7th of every game and watch the first batter from outside on the big screen.

Ekwall
10-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Thanks man, although I'm not changing anything now...

My other superstition is not betting on the White Sox, even though Vegas is (or at least was) giving them downright silly odds all year. I generally predict sports pretty well but have had crappy luck as a sports gambler.

TheOldRoman
10-06-2005, 12:28 PM
YOU GAVE IN?!
C'mon, There is nothing more sophisticated than a stubble beard, ask Tom Brady.
If the Sox lose, you are to blame.:cool:

Reminds me of 83
10-06-2005, 12:44 PM
First of all, I am glad to see that I am not completely insane (or perhaps we all are).

I have many little superstitious quirks, but here is my latest. My (formerly) lucky green hat helped the Sox get off to a great start (7-2 in my first nine games at the Cell). Unfortunately, things took a turn and I finished the season going 0-5 with that hat. After watching the Sox lose the first game in the Minnesota series, I began to think it was the hats fault. I walked down to Grandstand and started shopping. I began to sheepishly explain my predicament to an older woman who works there. She gave me a stern look, picked up the garbage can and said "get rid of the G** D*** hat".

I took her advice and am happy to report that I am 3-0 (including those two awesome playoff wins) with my new hat. Who says these are silly superstitions

MillerSoxFan
10-06-2005, 01:40 PM
I have been wearing my sox logo earrings, everywhere.

BNLSox
10-06-2005, 02:06 PM
I broke my sox wristband on Monday at work and was devistated. I feared that it was a symbol.

It was, but it was a symbol that we were finally going to break out of our post season funk and give the other teams a run for their money.

I have ordered a new set for the ALCS. If they advance I will break one next Monday before the series starts.

DannyCaterFan
10-06-2005, 02:26 PM
I guess I am superstitious too. Last Tuesday night after the Sox lost that game in Detroit (their last loss) after I completely destroyed the remote control by throwing it against the family room wall, I placed my Paul Konerko bobblehead doll on top of the TV for good luck. Now since they have not lost since, I won't let anyone move it or touch it. Unfortunately, while pulling in my driveway after returning from last night's game, a black cat darted out of the bushes and ran across my car's path. Let's hope his is not a bad omen of things to come. Go Sox!!!!

Brian26
10-07-2005, 10:29 AM
I guess I am superstitious too. Last Tuesday night after the Sox lost that game in Detroit (their last loss) after I completely destroyed the remote control by throwing it against the family room wall,

Not sure if this has ever been done before, but a great thread would be "what's the most valuable thing you've ever broken in frustration after a Sox lost?"

I've seen people claim to have smashed television sets, but that's pretty over the top. :D:

sox_fan_forever
10-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Wednesday the Sox were losing until my friend signed online. As soon as I started chatting with her the Sox scored. I made her come up to my dorm room and then Iguchi homered! I don't know what I am going to do today though because she can't come over....

voodoochile
10-07-2005, 11:05 AM
I guess I am superstitious too. Last Tuesday night after the Sox lost that game in Detroit (their last loss) after I completely destroyed the remote control by throwing it against the family room wall, I placed my Paul Konerko bobblehead doll on top of the TV for good luck. Now since they have not lost since, I won't let anyone move it or touch it. Unfortunately, while pulling in my driveway after returning from last night's game, a black cat darted out of the bushes and ran across my car's path. Let's hope his is not a bad omen of things to come. Go Sox!!!!

Black cats are GOOD luck for Sox fans - Good Kitties wear Black!

And the number 13 ain't bad either - just ask Ozzie...:cool:

Domeshot17
10-07-2005, 11:09 AM
Girlfriend bought me a half way to st pattys day Konerko Jersey for the playoffs. I wore it to game 2, and we got down early. I got a hot dog, and took the jersey off to not get mustard on it, and we scored 5 and won as the jersey remained off the entire game. I love the Jersey but it will not be put back on until December

voodoochile
10-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Girlfriend bought me a half way to st pattys day Konerko Jersey for the playoffs. I wore it to game 2, and we got down early. I got a hot dog, and took the jersey off to not get mustard on it, and we scored 5 and won as the jersey remained off the entire game. I love the Jersey but it will not be put back on until December

I find a good talking to works in these situations (sometimes). I have had multiple pieces of clothing that were simply lazy. After wearing them with bad results a few times, I've been known to rip them off, throw them in the corner and threaten to burn them the next time I wear them and we lose.

Normally the next game is a close win for the team in question and after that, they are normally unbeatable. You have to scare them sometimes...

"You know what that makes them don't you"

"LOLLYGAGGERS!"

I hage lollygagger clothing...:tongue: