PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Parking

ElDuque26
10-05-2005, 10:12 PM
The game today was a great one to attend, but parking was terrible for straight cash...i saw a lot of people with green parking coupons...anyone know how to get them???thanks and go sox!!!

Viva Medias B's
10-05-2005, 10:19 PM
The game today was a great one to attend, but parking was terrible for straight cash...i saw a lot of people with green parking coupons...anyone know how to get them???thanks and go sox!!!

Season ticket holders, full and split, get the green coupons at an added cost to their packages. The parking situation was quite an experience for me tonight. I had to work until 3:45 today. After getting home at 4:00 to feed the dog and take her out, I left for the park at 4:15. I took the Stevenson to Damen and Damen to 35th Street. I was on 35th Street for almost an hour! It was basically backed up from west of Morgan all the way to Wallace, where the Chicago Police made everyone turn south on Wallace. Cars were guided all the way to beyond Lot L. I was parked in the parking lot of the Chicago Public School building on Pershing. It turned out to be quite convenient, actually. Being right next to Pershing allowed me to get out of the lot right away after the game.

Law11
10-06-2005, 07:35 AM
Ok regradless of what the website says you can pay at ANY of the lots with cash. We got there yesterday at 3pm when the lots opened and I asked the attendent that even though this lot (Lot B) says coupon parking that Ive used cash there all year, he said Cash works fine here, it works fine everywhere.

So even if you dont have a coupon for parking you can still use those lots for cash. Just getthere early.. In my case 3 hours early but we parked right next to the old Home Plate and we were on the Ryan/Kennedy in 10 minutes after the game.

:bandance:

SoxFan78
10-06-2005, 09:30 AM
Ok regradless of what the website says you can pay at ANY of the lots with cash. We got there yesterday at 3pm when the lots opened and I asked the attendent that even though this lot (Lot B) says coupon parking that Ive used cash there all year, he said Cash works fine here, it works fine everywhere.

So even if you dont have a coupon for parking you can still use those lots for cash. Just getthere early.. In my case 3 hours early but we parked right next to the old Home Plate and we were on the Ryan/Kennedy in 10 minutes after the game.

:bandance:

It seems like there are just a lot of misinformed workers out there. It depends on who you get.

I've heard from some people that the parking situation is the same as the Cubs/Sox game, where all the main lots were just coupon only.

I've heard from some people that all the lots are cash, they need to put something on whitesox.com saying which lots are coupon only, and which are cash. The explaination they have on there right now is too vague.

Glad to hear you got such good parking though!

FielderJones
10-06-2005, 09:38 AM
Season ticket holders, full and split, get the green coupons at an added cost to their packages. The parking situation was quite an experience for me tonight. I had to work until 3:45 today. After getting home at 4:00 to feed the dog and take her out, I left for the park at 4:15. I took the Stevenson to Damen and Damen to 35th Street. I was on 35th Street for almost an hour! It was basically backed up from west of Morgan all the way to Wallace, where the Chicago Police made everyone turn south on Wallace. Cars were guided all the way to beyond Lot L. I was parked in the parking lot of the Chicago Public School building on Pershing. It turned out to be quite convenient, actually. Being right next to Pershing allowed me to get out of the lot right away after the game.

I left home at 3:30 and took the Stevenson to Ashland. There was a lot of truck traffic and it was about 4:30 by the time I got to Lot G. 35th St from Ashland to Normal was not too bad. After reading about cash parking problems the first day I was nervous about getting a spot, but G had lots of space 90 minutes before game time.

Ol' No. 2
10-06-2005, 09:45 AM
It seems like there are just a lot of misinformed workers out there. It depends on who you get.

I've heard from some people that the parking situation is the same as the Cubs/Sox game, where all the main lots were just coupon only.

I've heard from some people that all the lots are cash, they need to put something on whitesox.com saying which lots are coupon only, and which are cash. The explaination they have on there right now is too vague.

Glad to hear you got such good parking though!This is vague?
Fans paying cash may park in lots E, F or L.
Exit I-94 (Dan Ryan Expressway) from either direction at 35th street.And BTW, season ticket holders get RED coupons. Green parking coupons are advance purchase parking. I've never done it, but I assume you can purchase them from the ticket office. The accept cash at all lots for most games, but on days when they expect a full house, the coupon-only lots are supposed to be just that. They can't very well sell someone a coupon only to have the lot full when he gets there.

schmitty9800
10-06-2005, 10:04 AM
Had a conversation with a parking guy about it yesterday...

We were kind of pissed that they were leading around 50 cars in a huge circle around 33rd street and Humbolt Park around 5:25 PM...while we could all see that lot C was only a third full and would be opened to cash withing 20 minutes or so. He said that they did that yesterday, but they actually had to turn away too many people with hangtags. So today they limited A, B, and C to holders only and G, E, F, and L filled up amazingly fast; I had taken the L and met my ride down the and was walking around prior to the game and saw L almosst filled up at 5 PM.

Our ride dropped us off at 5:30 and we headed into the stadium. Amazingly he was in his seat for the start at 6:07. He parked on the street right off of 35th...6 full blocks east of state. Man, he's got to be a fast walker.

There's not really much to do to fix the problem, as there are probably a lot of people not going to the game who parked in the lot to tailgate and then catch the game at a bar or an outdoor TV. I still think there should be a garage where lot A stands (I've been to Bank One Ballpark and they have a great unobtrusive one that makes things a breeze), but oh well.

bennyw41
10-06-2005, 10:11 AM
There is plenty of street parking(free and no permit needed) if you're willing to walk west of Halsted.

Sarah
10-06-2005, 01:11 PM
Game 1, I got there about two hours before game time and parked for cash in Lot E. Fantastic place to park, I got out of the lot quite quickly (although that might have something to do with staying for one last beer, rather than ability to get out of the lot quickly).

Game 2, I got worried, skipped class and got there three hours before game time and parked for cash in Lot F. The lot did not fill up for at least an hour after I got there. I got out of the lot even faster than Game 1.

Law11
10-06-2005, 01:18 PM

Glad to hear you got such good parking though!

I park in Lot A or B all year and I think because we get there when the gates open its not an issue paying cash at the red coupon lots.

But from some of the other posts it does seem like there is discrepency
in what is for coupons and what is cash. I mean to open up 20 minutes later to take cash is just dumb. You either take cash from the start of the opening of the gates or you dont.

For me the trip was like every other game this year. No issues.
Of course getting there 2-3 hours before the game has a lot to do with it.
We made it in from Arlington Hts in 40 minutes on the Kennedy to 31st.

BainesHOF
10-06-2005, 02:10 PM
Traffic and parking were at an all-time worst Wednesday. Private lots down 35th were charging $40, $60 and, yes, $80 to park a half hour before game time.

maurice
10-06-2005, 02:16 PM
Private lots down 35th were charging $40, $60 and, yes, $80 to park a half hour before game time.

Sweet. Wish I had a private lot on 35th St.

Sad
10-06-2005, 02:31 PM
Traffic and parking were at an all-time worst Wednesday. Private lots down 35th were charging $40, $60 and, yes, $80 to park a half hour before game time.

sheesh...

btw-
Lot G is cash parking throughout the playoffs

Hitmen77
10-06-2005, 02:36 PM
Are the Sox providing their "park and ride" option during the playoffs?

You know, that's where commuters can park at the ballpark in the morning and take the el downtown to work and take the el back for the game. Has anyone tried this service at all this year?

putherawaywet
10-06-2005, 03:50 PM
Parking was a mess. I have been paying cash to park in lot B all year - including game 1 of the series. Yesterday, however, it was red coupon only (at 5:15ish). I waited in traffic to get to the lot only to discover that after 163 games they had changed the procedure. Additionallym, the 33rd street entrance to lot C was closed after having been open for 163 games. It does not make any sense. I had to circle the hell out of there and was lucky to find a lot for forty bucks. Even though I was at the lots a full hour before the game, I was not able to get into my upper deck seat until the second pitch.

LauraJ14
10-06-2005, 04:07 PM
This is vague?
And BTW, season ticket holders get RED coupons. Green parking coupons are advance purchase parking. I've never done it, but I assume you can purchase them from the ticket office. The accept cash at all lots for most games, but on days when they expect a full house, the coupon-only lots are supposed to be just that. They can't very well sell someone a coupon only to have the lot full when he gets there.

I am a partial season ticket holder and I have the green coupons, had them for all 27 games plus all the playoff games.
We left at about 3:30 from the western burbs, encountered an accident on the Stevenson which was a pain, we ended up parking in the school parking lot off of 37th by lot E, we got to the park about 4:30ish.
I have a problem with how they handle these games, sometimes cash will get you in the Lot's, sometimes only the coupon will get you in the Lot. If I have a coupon, they should make sure that there is enough space for all the coupon people in the Lot there coupon's are good for.

Ol' No. 2
10-06-2005, 04:32 PM
I am a partial season ticket holder and I have the green coupons, had them for all 27 games plus all the playoff games.
We left at about 3:30 from the western burbs, encountered an accident on the Stevenson which was a pain, we ended up parking in the school parking lot off of 37th by lot E, we got to the park about 4:30ish.
I have a problem with how they handle these games, sometimes cash will get you in the Lot's, sometimes only the coupon will get you in the Lot. If I have a coupon, they should make sure that there is enough space for all the coupon people in the Lot there coupon's are good for.I guess the red coupons are for people on the full season plan. For most regular season games they will accept cash at all lots. But for big crowds and post-season games they only accept coupons at coupon lots for just the reason you stated.

BarbG
10-06-2005, 05:14 PM
It's amazing how many people had totally different experiences yesterday. I panicked after reading here about the parking situation and left about 4:00. Took the Dan Ryan (light traffic) to Pershing and followed the signs and parking people from there across to the IIT parking lots, then jumped on a shuttle bus (there were plenty) to the gate. Very easy to get out as well.