PDA

View Full Version : Love from Berman to Hawk

kevingrt
10-05-2005, 09:11 PM
Even though I dislike Berman a lot, I liked how he mentioned each teams play by play man. Gave some nice love to Hawk and him watching in Florida. But don't you think Hawk is at the game? Who knows but nice by Berman.

Norberto7
10-05-2005, 09:13 PM
Even though I dislike Berman a lot, I liked how he mentioned each teams play by play man. Gave some nice love to Hawk and him watching in Florida. But don't you think Hawk is at the game? Who knows but nice by Berman.

I haven't really minded Berman or the rest of the crew. Maybe because the Sox are up 2-0?

DonkeyKongerko
10-05-2005, 09:13 PM
Hawk is in Orlando with the family. He said he'd come to Chicago for the World Series. :D:

Red Barchetta
10-05-2005, 09:15 PM
I think our peception is through rose-colored glasses. Does he always get that excited over medium-deep flyballs?! :rolleyes:

I sense Sutcliff still has some old time Cubs favortism going. He's a pro, however I think he would be more excited and colorful if the Red Sox were up 2-0.

antitwins13
10-05-2005, 09:15 PM
First, I'm glad Boomer gave Hawk a shout out. Second I hope the Hawk is in the dugout for the World Series.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/team/broadcasters/broadcaster_cws_jackson.jpg Uh Oh! Nobody gave me a shout out.

delben91
10-05-2005, 09:30 PM
I think our peception is through rose-colored glasses. Does he always get that excited over medium-deep flyballs?! :rolleyes:

I sense Sutcliff still has some old time Cubs favortism going. He's a pro, however I think he would be more excited and colorful if the Red Sox were up 2-0.

Although, Sutcliffe was the only one of the three to give credit to Iguchi for his homerun.

Piazza and Berman were lamenting Graff's error, and Sutcliffe said, "but you have to look to Iguchi, he was the man that hit the ball."

oeo
10-05-2005, 09:36 PM
I really wish Hawk got to call these games, it would be so awesome. These last two games would have had "MERCY!" all over them.

Viva Medias B's
10-05-2005, 10:12 PM
How Iguchi's home run would have sounded with Hawk:

:hawk
"That's deep to left field!!! STRETCH!!! YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD!!!! YES!!!!"

DaleJRFan
10-05-2005, 10:20 PM
I haven't really minded Berman or the rest of the crew. Maybe because the Sox are up 2-0?

I agree. I don't understand the Berman bashing. I'm not a fan, but I think he has been really far to both teams and has called good games so far. Sutcliff is really starting to piss me off. Piazza is watching the Sox and seeing USCF thinking "I wanna play here next season." :redneck

SoXPriDe33
10-05-2005, 10:23 PM
I think if the SOX get to the WS then Hawk should throw out the first pitch. Him not being able to call these games must be killing him inside. These past two games would be Hawk Classics.

whtsx1959
10-05-2005, 10:31 PM
Talking about Hawk was a nice touch, but Erin (in the stands lady) kept calling Tadahito "Tahito" which bugged me.

DaleJRFan
10-05-2005, 10:33 PM
Talking about Hawk was a nice touch, but Erin (in the stands lady) kept calling Tadahito "Tahito" which bugged me.

She wasn't bugging me at all, I just don't understand why she was there...

soxwon
10-05-2005, 10:35 PM
i haven't heard berman, ive been at both games, like most sox fans should be. lol

greenpeach
10-05-2005, 10:36 PM

Because she's frickin' hot you mo !!!!

kevingrt
10-05-2005, 10:36 PM

Cauz she's HOT

soxruleEP
10-05-2005, 10:39 PM
Berman and his merry band are awful. They all weigh in three times each in rotation about every play and the last play--no matter how routine--is unbelievable.

The best example is the extended session of odes on the greatness of David Wells because he managed to drag his drooping butt and aching knee over to cover first on Olerood's diving stop.
If WMVP could manage to synchornize their audio a little better with the broadcast--tonight the broadcast was more than five seconds ahead of John & Ed--we would be spared this parade of idiocy.

Cellview22
10-05-2005, 10:43 PM
Anyone know if DJ has been at the games?

I'd love to see Hawk and DJ's reactions in the stands!

HotelWhiteSox
10-05-2005, 10:50 PM
Screw Berman, what a tool

His bias was soooo showing tonight. The 'Oh noooo' Santo moment on the Graffanino error. And the cheering from the booth that came after his hit in the 9th.

And who can forget the idiotic comments in Game 1 about the Cell. :angry: "Let's face it, it will never be near the top of the list as a great place to watch a game, but they've made improvements". Has he ever seen a game from the stands? He sure didn't mind that dessert cart they rolled in.

And then he downplayed the crowds. First, he compared the park to a garbage can "when the team's playing like this, people will be happy in a garbage can". And when the crowd got loud he said "this crowd is making some noise, but you know they'll have no problem matching it in Boston".

Idiot, tool, douche, he's so multidimensional.

StrTrkker
10-05-2005, 11:56 PM

Thats bugged me too. I mean co'mon...get a program and learn to pronounce his name. Its T A D A H I T O...

Oh well...Come World Series time all of America will know ALL the Sox players by name and most importantly their team name: Chicago White Sox 2005 World Champions !!!

ilsox7
10-05-2005, 11:59 PM
Berman and his merry band are awful. They all weigh in three times each in rotation about every play and the last play--no matter how routine--is unbelievable.

The best example is the extended session of odes on the greatness of David Wells because he managed to drag his drooping butt and aching knee over to cover first on Olerood's diving stop.
If WMVP could manage to synchornize their audio a little better with the broadcast--tonight the broadcast was more than five seconds ahead of John & Ed--we would be spared this parade of idiocy.

If the TV broadcast is ahead of the radio, and if you have a DVR, just pause it to sync it up.

elrod
10-06-2005, 12:07 AM
I think Piazza's been great so far. Probably the most pleasant surprise of the whole broadcast side of the series so far. He's been insightful, respectful and easy to listen to. I can take Berman and Sutcliffe or leave them. But Piazza, who I really dreaded at first, has made some really sharp comments.

spongyfungy
10-06-2005, 12:22 AM
If the TV broadcast is ahead of the radio, and if you have a DVR, just pause it to sync it up.

Tv was at first ahead of the radio. Then the radio re-synched. Then it went ahead of the TV. I hate delays.

As for Berman, I don't really care. I just can't forgive him botching Hawk's signature call during the home run derby at the cell. "you can put it on the boooard, gone!"

But some people say the berman tastes better when you're winning. :redneck

getonbckthr
10-06-2005, 12:47 AM
i haven't heard berman, ive been at both games, like most sox fans should be. lol

thats reserved for the first 40,000

The Dude
10-06-2005, 01:28 AM
All I have to say is **** BERMAN!

Optipessimism
10-06-2005, 01:45 AM
First of all, if Hawk was announced Game 1 there would be no way in hell he'd have a voice to announce Game 2.

Secondly, I don't get all the anti-ESPN talk both here and at the Red Sox boards. IMO, although Berman doesn't seem to know the difference between a 420 ft. home run and a pop up, he has done a decent job in making the broadcast fair for both teams. Sure, he compliments the Red Sox when they are ahead, but isn't that what he is supposed to do? He compliments the Sox very well when we are winning just the same. And about the call on Graffy's gaff, the 'oooh noooooo!' just made it more special for me as a Sox fan. In fact, I look forward to many similar calls in a possible Sox-Yanks series as the nation begins to see a shift of power in the AL. Yes, things are changing. I believe 2005 will be the beginning of the fall of AL East dominance and the rise of the AL Central, with the Sox and the Tribe on top, for years to come.

ArkanSox
10-06-2005, 01:48 AM
Boomer's got some game, and where the hell would we be w/o ESPN? And he was the one of the pioneers. It did seem like he was rooting Bosox tonight--course he probably wants it to go five I'd guess. Yesterday he was propping our Sox like a homegrown. Anyway, Soxwon, you sure know how to rub it in--I 'd love to be there live. Oh well, maybe someday. Go Sox!!!

Domeshot17
10-06-2005, 02:31 AM
Was there tonight, so I did not get the "pleasure" of listening to the espn crew. Yesterday though, I think they did a decent job. They obviously did not know more than sportscenter shows about the White Sox, but I did like Piazza. I had a friend say he was ( in mod appropriate terms) On the Red Sox Coconuts by calling Olerud Sweet Swinging Johnny O, but they were ex team mates and friends, and I thought it was classy more than favoritism. No Different then Blum pulling the Padres every series unless the sox are playing them.

All in All, most teams are going through this not names Boston and New York.

thepaulbowski
10-06-2005, 07:35 AM
I think Piazza's been great so far. Probably the most pleasant surprise of the whole broadcast side of the series so far. He's been insightful, respectful and easy to listen to. I can take Berman and Sutcliffe or leave them. But Piazza, who I really dreaded at first, has made some really sharp comments.

I was really suprised with how well Piazza did the broadcast. Sometimes it just seems like former players (or current players) "get it" when they get into broadcasting. Sutcliffe has been OK, but I still think Berman needs to stick to football.

LuvSox
10-06-2005, 07:57 AM

I take it you've got extra tickets at face value to hand out.

1951Campbell
10-06-2005, 08:43 AM
Berman did work in a "good morning, good afternoon, goodnight." I will at least give him credit for that.

fquaye149
10-06-2005, 09:00 AM
I agree. I don't understand the Berman bashing. I'm not a fan, but I think he has been really far to both teams and has called good games so far. Sutcliff is really starting to piss me off. Piazza is watching the Sox and seeing USCF thinking "I wanna play here next season." :redneck

Berman's an idiot. Every ball hit to the warning track was a "BLAST," every routine handling of a ground ball was a "GREAT PICK BY MUELLER." He's been impartial and complimentary of the White Sox, but how could he NOT be after the drubbings we've put on them?

I don't really mind him that much, probably since we've been winning...but during the tense innings when we were losing last night...particularly in the second inning when Paulie hit a WTP shot and Damon fielded it lazy on the run and Berman goes, "DRIVE DDDDDDDEEEEP TO LEFT CENTER AND DAMON HAULS IT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I was literally yelling, shut the hell up Chip Caray.

skobabe8
10-06-2005, 09:03 AM

His bias was soooo showing tonight. The 'Oh noooo' Santo moment on the Graffanino error. And the cheering from the booth that came after his hit in the 9th.

And who can forget the idiotic comments in Game 1 about the Cell. :angry: "Let's face it, it will never be near the top of the list as a great place to watch a game, but they've made improvements". Has he ever seen a game from the stands? He sure didn't mind that dessert cart they rolled in.

And then he downplayed the crowds. First, he compared the park to a garbage can "when the team's playing like this, people will be happy in a garbage can". And when the crowd got loud he said "this crowd is making some noise, but you know they'll have no problem matching it in Boston".

Thats exactly why I hate Chris Berman. Cheap shots like that all the time and his inability to call baseball games without going nuts on every popup and inserting his tired, awful nicknames to everyone.

"Lets face it, I will never be on the top of the list as a decent announcer, but ESPN doesnt seem to care."

wood28
10-06-2005, 09:06 AM
Was I hearing things last night or did Berman actually call Paulie, "KoKo"???

I was ready to mute him, but then I thought he really could not have said that.

Sxy Mofo
10-06-2005, 09:11 AM
I wish the call of that inning went... something like... this:

"Here's a double play slow grounder to graffanino, gonna have to hurry to get two... THE BALL WENT THROUGH HIS LEGS... CREDE TO THIRD! MERCY! He had to hurry to get the double play ball and lost concentration. And the sox have runners on first and third with one out!"

"Here's Scotty Podsednik. We need ya buddy... ...And he pops him up. NO! Golden opportunity."

"Tadahito Iguchi steps in" *couple pitches later* "That ball hit deep! STRETCH! Way back, he looks up! YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOOOOOOOARD! *DJ chimes in* YES!! *hawk out of breath* Tadahito Iguchi with a three run blast and the Sox lead it 5-4! Tadahito.... YES! Mercy!"

thewalkoffshot
10-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Hawk was on the Mike North show this morning and he said that Berman and Sutcliffe are the best announcing team in the majors. Im not sure if he meant on a national level, where the announcers shouldnt pull for a team, or if he meant overall.

Hawk also expressed that he could not be an announcer for nationally televised games anymore because of him having to root for the White Sox, no matter what.

harwar
10-06-2005, 09:52 AM
I haven't actually watched the games that i recorded yet but i've heard that berman,sutcliffe,& piazza(hardrock,coco,& joe) were fairly unbiased and have been more than fair.
I wish that we had the option of watching the White Sox broadcast team at our park and maybe the red sox team at theirs,oh well.
I guess i'll find out when i have the time to view the games but it just doesn't seem so very important right now. .. JUST KEEP WINNING!!!!!!

Sad
10-06-2005, 09:56 AM

I was thinking that blowhole's toned down a notch... didn't hear game #1 broadcast as I was there so not sure...

Sutcliffe sure was talking up Wells :angry:

mjharrison72
10-06-2005, 10:22 AM
How Iguchi's home run would have sounded with Hawk:

:hawk
"That's deep to left field!!! STRETCH!!! RAMIREZ LOOKS UP! YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD!!!! YES!!!!"

I fixed it for you. :D:

ChiWavDave
10-06-2005, 10:30 AM

Um.... Yes.... He Called him KoKo..... I think when he said it, I wanted to puke-puke

bluestar
10-06-2005, 10:38 AM

I sure wish I could be. :(:

kevingrt
10-06-2005, 10:55 AM
I sure wish I could be. :(:

I agree... I damn wish all true Sox fans could be!

hawkjt
10-06-2005, 11:16 AM
My take:

Berman; much more understated than normal. I really think he is playing it down the middle. Appreciated that he shouted out to Hawk , even conceding that Sox fans would definitely prefer Hawk to be doing the game and adding ''I'm doing the best I can''

Obviously he has been on WSI and knows the sentiments of sox fans and acknowledged the obvious. I thought it was a nice touch.

Piazza - He is good with some inside baseball terms I had never heard. Informative but still light and funny. Articulate but not overtalky.

Sutt; he is solid and not stepping on the others toes.

Erin; nice rack.

Garland_IS_God
10-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Piazza is watching the Sox and seeing USCF thinking "I wanna play here next season." :redneck

Thats the impression that Im getting too. They way he was talking about how he loved the Hawk and Mr. Reinsdorf was happy to sign the check for the extra padding on the wall for A-ROW. Then how he talks about MB being a great pitcher.

HITMEN OF 77
10-06-2005, 11:28 AM

I'll second all of that. It really ticked me off on the hit by Graffanino in the 9th. the ball also went under Crede's glove in the first, he didn't excited when Joe got a hit later in the game.

Brian26
10-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Tv was at first ahead of the radio. Then the radio re-synched. Then it went ahead of the TV. I hate delays.

What's weird is that the radio was delayed at the game. I took my headphones for the pregame show...and I noticed when the game started that John and Ed were delayed about 3 seconds.

Vernam
10-06-2005, 12:06 PM
What's weird is that the radio was delayed at the game. I took my headphones for the pregame show...and I noticed when the game started that John and Ed were delayed about 3 seconds.Yeah, that was distracting. They corrected it in time for the Fifth Inning Outburst, though.

Berman's praise of Hawk seemed heartfelt, and Hawk's reciprocation on the Mike North seemed . . . almost heartfelt. The "Ko-Ko" thing made me want to spew, though.

Vernam

JohnBasedowYoda
10-06-2005, 01:30 PM
berman has been ok...but in game 2 he had a habit of making a really long comment and basically talking until his breath ran out. but he'd keep talking so he'd basically be growling his last few words before sucking more air into his fat bald head.

WinOrDyeTrying
10-06-2005, 03:31 PM
I dont know if anyone knowticed, but he mentioned Hawk, saying "I know White Sox fans wish he was calling the game, but I'm trying my best"

It was the best call hes ever made at a game....

CHIsoxNation
10-06-2005, 03:32 PM
I thought it was pretty cool as well.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59118&highlight=boomer

WinOrDyeTrying
10-06-2005, 03:35 PM
Oops, didnt know there was already a thread on this. You guys can delete it.

HotelWhiteSox
10-06-2005, 03:36 PM
I forgot who wrote it, but the funniest comment for me came during the chat, while berman was doing a read for their newest espn movie, someone wrote something like:

"asfsd asdfg fgejf ... roger bannister"

rm0824
10-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Just wait, guys. After this weekend, look forward to hearing Joe Buck. One of the best broadcasters there is right now. If you can tolerate Berman, you most certainly can put up with McCarver.

russ99
10-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Just wait, guys. After this weekend, look forward to hearing Joe Buck. One of the best broadcasters there is right now. If you can tolerate Berman, you most certainly can put up with McCarver.

Joe's pretty good, but I wish I could listen to Jack Buck. (R.I.P.) I really hate the Cards, but he was by far the best announcer I've ever heard - much better than Vin Scully.

jenmcm76
10-06-2005, 09:02 PM

That was the Berman lowlight of so far for me. Plenty of other things he said annoyed me - mis-pronouncing Uribe (as uh-ree-bay instead of your-ree-bay), constantly injecting football-ese, etc - but "Koko" was god-awful.