PDA

View Full Version : Royce to the Cubs?

Vsahajpal
12-09-2001, 12:25 AM
A day after saying goodbye to Ricky Gutierrez, Cubs officials arrived in Boston for the annual winter meetings with a new priority list.

Their first order of business is to trade for an established shortstop, and team officials are confident they will complete a deal over the next several days.

Their likely target is Kansas City's Neifi Perez, but the Cubs are mulling various options so they won't have to part with a top pitching prospect.

One major-league source said Cincinnati's Pokey Reese has been crossed off the Cubs' list, most likely because of the steep demands of Reds general manager Jim Bowden.

Another source indicated that Montreal's Orlando Cabrera would be all but impossible to acquire this week because of the Expos' unknown status for next season. Commissioner Bud Selig reportedly put a freeze on trades involving Montreal and Minnesota until the contraction issue is settled.

Other possibilities are Milwaukee's Mark Loretta and the White Sox's Royce Clayton. Loretta will be paid $5 million next season in the final year of his contract and Clayton, who has been on the trading block for months, is set to earn $4.5 million.

umm... :gulp:

:D:

bringbackrobin
12-09-2001, 12:38 AM
Everybody keep your fingers crossed. The Cubs have certainly done stupider things.

Wouldn't it be great if the Cubs and Dodgers got into a bidding war? Sorry, I guess I'm getting a little carried away. As long as Clayton's gone, I'm happy.

RedPinStripes
12-09-2001, 02:17 AM
Cubs have nothing to give up that is useful unless we get Lieber.
I wish they would take royce and give us a draft pic of 2.

CLR01
12-09-2001, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Cubs have nothing to give up that is useful unless we get Lieber.
I wish they would take royce and give us a draft pic of 2.

The cubs can give us a couple of paper cups and it would be a fair trade for royce.

MarqSox
12-09-2001, 02:49 AM
Yeah I was gonna say, who cares what we get for Clayton, as long as he's gone. Let's not get picky here. Besides, him sucking for the Cubs is worth it right there -- makes the Sox better by subtraction and makes the Cubs worse by addition. :gulp:

RedPinStripes
12-09-2001, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by CLR01

The cubs can give us a couple of paper cups and it would be a fair trade for royce.

*****!!!!

Sad but true.

oldcomiskey
12-09-2001, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Yeah I was gonna say, who cares what we get for Clayton, as long as he's gone. Let's not get picky here. Besides, him sucking for the Cubs is worth it right there -- makes the Sox better by subtraction and makes the Cubs worse by addition. :gulp:
I like that math equation

duke of dorwood
12-09-2001, 10:51 AM
Something, anything.

:KW

Hey, I'll take 2 bleacher tickets

Pete Ward
12-09-2001, 12:02 PM
I'd take Jeff Fassaro for Royce. We could use a LHP in case Wunch isnt ready.

irish rover
12-09-2001, 12:47 PM
where was that story published at?

Jerry_Manuel
12-09-2001, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by irish rover
where was that story published at?

The Trib (http://www.chicagosports.com/cubs/content/story/0,1984,169590,00.html)

foulkesfan11
12-09-2001, 02:11 PM
The trib list a slew of guys. I think they could get Clayton cheaper than most of those. AND they only have to worry about having him more than a year. Thats what they didnt want with Gutierrez

CubKilla
12-09-2001, 02:23 PM
Clayton for Fassero? I like that trade Ward. Clayton for Lieber? Don't think even the Cubs would green light that one RedPinStripes but wierder things have happened.

irish rover
12-09-2001, 03:36 PM
looks like perez is front runner

http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-cub09.html

czalgosz
12-09-2001, 04:21 PM
I'm sure that Royals fans would be jumping for joy if the Cubs took Perez off their hands - he sucks maybe worse than Clayton does. I still can't believe they gave up Jermaine Dye for that sack of crap.

Mathew
12-10-2001, 04:49 AM
Clayton for some used syringes and rusty nails is a victory.

Paulwny
12-10-2001, 06:51 AM
Maybe Alex Gonzalez to the cubs

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam011210/col_elliott-sun.html

Vsahajpal
12-10-2001, 09:46 AM
would you guys stop talking about the damn Flubs? :D:

Daver
12-10-2001, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
would you guys stop talking about the damn Flubs? :D:

*****!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You tell 'em Vic.

:)

RedPinStripes
12-10-2001, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by CubsF'nBlow
Clayton for Fassero? I like that trade Ward. Clayton for Lieber? Don't think even the Cubs would green light that one RedPinStripes but wierder things have happened.

No doubt that trade will never happen straight up. Lieber is the only thing I would want from the Scrubs.