PDA

View Full Version : Another failed season for Billy Beane, another manager sent packing

Ol' No. 2
10-05-2005, 04:24 PM
Another one bites the dust.

Linky (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051005&content_id=1238823&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

gf2020
10-05-2005, 04:33 PM
Another one bites the dust.

Linky (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051005&content_id=1238823&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

This is good news for us IMHO. It's not the easiest management situation and Macha was a good fit there. Whoever replaces him most certainly will be a big step back, hopefully allowing us to take the season series from them next year as we attempt to repeat as AL Central and World Series champions.

FarWestChicago
10-05-2005, 04:34 PM
As much as I hate the A's, I've always respected Macha. Wow. :?:

:fobbgod:

I gave him the best lineup in MLB. I can't believe he couldn't get to the playoffs.

Dick Allen
10-05-2005, 04:35 PM
I think Macha wants to go back to the Pirates anyway.

Tragg
10-05-2005, 05:39 PM
It's not the easiest management situation

???? Working for the best, most ingenius general manager in baseball is not an easy situation? (check that; the best gm in baseball history, if not the history of professional sports or for-profit corporations).

D. TODD
10-05-2005, 05:43 PM
This one is a surprise to me. Macha will be a loss for the A's!

ode to veeck
10-05-2005, 06:14 PM
???? Working for the best, most ingenius general manager in baseball is not an easy situation? (check that; the best gm in baseball history, if not the history of professional sports or for-profit corporations).

:tealpolice:

Fuller_Schettman
10-05-2005, 06:30 PM
It kinda makes sense to me. I mean, during one stretch when they seemed very motivated (and relatively injury-free) they went 39-9. So what happened the other 114 games when they went 49-65???

A bad start and a bad finish makes Billy a sad boy....

It's all about Moneybawl! :whiner:

FarWestChicago
10-05-2005, 06:44 PM

I fired that worthless hitting coach, too. Look at all those lead pipe lock, first ballot Hall of Famers I gave him to work with!! :angry:

RKMeibalane
10-05-2005, 06:55 PM
I'm waiting for jeremyb1 to come here and make excuses.

soxfan26
10-05-2005, 10:24 PM

:whoflungpoo

chaerulez
10-05-2005, 10:33 PM
Beane is the one that calls most of the shots on the team anyway.

A. Cavatica
10-05-2005, 10:38 PM
I wonder if the Red Sox job will be opening up on Saturday?

soxfan26
10-05-2005, 10:40 PM
I wonder if the Red Sox job will be opening up on Saturday?

:roflmao:

D. TODD
10-05-2005, 11:06 PM
It sounds like Macha left. He was not shown the door. S0, not exactly another one bites the dust. A loss for the A's in my opinione none the lee.

FloridaSox
10-05-2005, 11:09 PM
It sounds like Macha left. He was not shown the door. S0, not exactly another one bites the dust. A loss for the A's in my opinione none the lee.

You are correct. The two sides could not come to agreement on money. Beane did not want to pay big time bucks for a manager given that the Moneyball strategy dictates all decisions on the bench.

FarWestChicago
10-05-2005, 11:12 PM
You are correct. The two sides could not come to agreement on money. Beane did not want to pay big time bucks for a manager given that the Moneyball strategy dictates all decisions on the bench.:roflmao:

My devoted apologists always have my back!!

SABRSox
10-05-2005, 11:18 PM
The contract they offered him was pretty lame, considering the job he did this year. I understand the moneyball dictates you don't pay the manager big bucks since the GM sets the managerial style, but that doesn't mean you low-ball a loyal employee of your organization. Was a mil a year (which is what I believe Macha would have settled at) really too much to ask?

Well, I'd think Florida or Pittsburgh would love to have him. The Dodgers might be interested too, but I wouldn't want to see Macha head to that trainwreck of an organization.

FarWestChicago
10-05-2005, 11:21 PM
The contract they offered him was pretty lame, considering the job he did this year. I understand the moneyball dictates you don't pay the manager big bucks since the GM sets the managerial style, but that doesn't mean you low-ball a loyal employee of your organization.The new A's owner has money and even gave Beane a piece of the team. There was no reason for this. Perhaps Beane got tired of hearing Macha get so much credit for doing well with the team.

It's all about me!!!!!

Tragg
10-05-2005, 11:32 PM
but I wouldn't want to see Macha head to that trainwreck of an organization.

Isn't Dipodesta a Beane protege?
They must have a terrible owner then; but that can't be, as the owner employed a beane-man as gm. It must be bad luck, like the As playoff teams suffer.

I don't get that philosophy anyway. Baseball strategy has always been overrated - the manager's job is to keep the team playing hard for 6 months and 162 games - the gm can't do that.

soxwon
10-05-2005, 11:39 PM

yea tough working for Kenny Williams right?

ode to veeck
10-05-2005, 11:48 PM
The new A's owner has money and even gave Beane a piece of the team. There was no reason for this. Perhaps Beane got tired of hearing Macha get so much credit for doing well with the team.

ding ding ding ... we have a winner

SouthSide_HitMen
10-06-2005, 09:09 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AibF.wJPh.d5Sj2HHmqi2n8RvLYF?slug=ap-athletics-macha&prov=ap&type=lgns

Athletics part ways with Macha after three seasons as managerBy JANIE McCAULEY, AP Sports Writer
October 6, 2005

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20051005/thumb.fx10310052014.athletics_macha_fx103.jpg (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/photo?slug=fx10310052014.athletics_macha_fx103&prov=ap)
AP - Oct 5, 4:15 pm EDT
More Photos (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/gallery)Ken Macha and Billy Beane certainly had their adversarial moments during Macha's three-year managerial tenure in Oakland. Macha is leaving town on the high road, refusing to dwell on the tension between him and one of baseball's most demanding bosses -- but rather remember the club's winning ways. Neither side could agree on a new contract, and Beane announced Wednesday the A's were moving forward without Macha. Macha called it one of several ``massive disappointments'' in his seven-year tenure with the team. He just hopes what Oakland accomplished this season with young players and an injury-plagued roster might mean something to future employers.

__________________________________________________ ______________________

One day Billy Beane will get axed and unlike Art Howe or Ken Macha nobody will hire that jackass again.

SOXintheBURGH
10-06-2005, 09:16 PM
Macha is going to the Burgh to interview tomorrow. He actually owns a house in Murrysville, PA (the town I lived in for many years) and his wife is from Monroeville, PA (one town over from Murrysville).

FarWestChicago
10-06-2005, 09:16 PM
Macha called it one of several ``massive disappointments'' in his seven-year tenure with the team. He just hopes what Oakland accomplished this season with young players and an injury-plagued roster might mean something to future employers.:fobbgod:

I'm a great man. Just ask me!!

Mohoney
10-07-2005, 02:23 AM
Let me get this straight.

The A's miss the playoffs in '04. They then proceed to trade away the best 2 pitchers in their rotation. They slump badly to end the season 7 games behind the exact same team that dethroned them last year. They fail to win 90 games. The 2 pitchers that they traded are currently starting games this year in the playoffs.

Are YOU going to take a below-market-value offer for your services and lock yourself in for 3 more years of this crap, especially when there is going to be an opening in Florida?

If I'm Ken Macha, I gamble that somebody with a job opening will give me more money than that, and I pray that I get the call to manage Josh Beckett, Dontrelle Willis, and Miguel Cabrera in an organization only 2 years removed from a World Series championship.

Either way, my services are worth way more than what Beane offered me.

wdelaney72
10-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Let me get this straight.

The A's miss the playoffs in '04. They then proceed to trade away the best 2 pitchers in their rotation. They slump badly to end the season 7 games behind the exact same team that dethroned them last year. They fail to win 90 games. The 2 pitchers that they traded are currently starting games this year in the playoffs.

Are YOU going to take a below-market-value offer for your services and lock yourself in for 3 more years of this crap, especially when there is going to be an opening in Florida?

If I'm Ken Macha, I gamble that somebody with a job opening will give me more money than that, and I pray that I get the call to manage Josh Beckett, Dontrelle Willis, and Miguel Cabrera in an organization only 2 years removed from a World Series championship.

Either way, my services are worth way more than what Beane offered me.

Florida, Tampa Bay (with the new owner), and LA Dodgers would all be an upgrade. Pittsburgh is a worse situation than Oakland. Oakland at least has some decent players.

elrod
10-07-2005, 10:13 AM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:Vte5QkUk9YcJ:www.alamedasun.com/images/63005A%27s-manager-Ken-Macha-.jpg

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:G1eCKbWkhbEJ:www.vicepresidents.com/Dick%2520Cheney%2520picture.jpg

Maybe Dick Cheney will replace his twin as the new Oakland manager.

DumpJerry
10-07-2005, 10:20 AM
They should hire the guy who seems to be very helpful to them in the past when it comes to winning:

Hunter Wendelstadt or however the name is spelled......

SouthSide_HitMen
10-07-2005, 12:53 PM
They should hire the guy who seems to be very helpful to them in the past when it comes to winning:

Hunter Wendelstadt or however the name is spelled......

He would no longer be useful in that capacity.

soxfanreggie
10-07-2005, 01:09 PM
I think he signs on in the next two weeks with Pittsburgh or Florida...

dropkick371
10-08-2005, 03:03 AM
He's interviewing with the Pirates GM for Lloyd McClendon's job, but signs there point more strongly toward former Dodgers manager Jim Tracy taking the position. The Marlins have also expressed interest in Macha (but then, why not).

Flight #24
10-08-2005, 11:25 PM
The new A's owner has money and even gave Beane a piece of the team. There was no reason for this. Perhaps Beane got tired of hearing Macha get so much credit for doing well with the team.

It's all about me!!!!!

For all his success, Billy Beane has never built a team that advanced as far as KW's current White Sox team. As good as they were for as long, they never got past the first round.

And for the record, Beans got to the playoffs in his 4th year, IIRC. In KW's 4th year, his team was in first before losing Frank & Maggs. The next year - best record in the AL, ALCS appearance, and possibly more.

But I'm sure that that's just evidence that the postseason is all about luck.....

fquaye149
10-09-2005, 04:13 AM
Florida, Tampa Bay (with the new owner), and LA Dodgers would all be an upgrade. Pittsburgh is a worse situation than Oakland. Oakland at least has some decent players.

There's a few players on the Pirates I wouldn't mind having on the White Sox.

And no, Kip Wells is not one of them.