PDA

View Full Version : The iguchi-crede play

Sxy Mofo
10-05-2005, 03:09 PM
That was a huge play at the time of the game, though it doesn't look like it now. It saved a run simply by iguchi making the decision to throw over there, and it saved a game by crede scooping it up.

IMO, that was one of the most important plays of the game, but i haven't seen it talked about on here.

Props to both of them... and guillen's reaction to it: "No, no, no ... atta boy ... good job,"

kninchicago
10-05-2005, 03:11 PM
No kidding! It was a pretty crazy play that saved us God only knows how many runs.

34 Inch Stick
10-05-2005, 03:12 PM
It was important that Crede caught the ball. I don't think it would have been considered as important if Iguichi went to first making it 1 out with a man on third.

skobabe8
10-05-2005, 03:12 PM
HUGE play. Anyone see Ozzies reaction during the play? pretty funny.

harwar
10-05-2005, 03:15 PM
Yea,they have been talking about it on the score today.
I think Tadahito had plenty of time to get millar but the fact that he bounced it is what made it so frightening.I thought my heart would stop when i saw him wield and fire toward 3rd.

Fuller_Schettman
10-05-2005, 03:16 PM
Just another one of those moments in a magical season that you look back on later and say "it was meant to be". Last year, that ball gets by Crede and a run scores.

daveeym
10-05-2005, 03:18 PM
Just another one of those moments in a magical season that you look back on later and say "it was meant to be". Last year, that ball gets by Crede and a run scores. Where? Playing whiffle ball with their sons? Couldn't resist.

1951Campbell
10-05-2005, 03:20 PM
Just another one of those moments in a magical season that you look back on later and say "it was meant to be".

True, but the sphincter tightened nonetheless.

Sxy Mofo
10-05-2005, 03:22 PM
True, but the sphincter tightened nonetheless.

Yea. I believe the tv angles at first didn't signify that the ball was bounced. But after I knew the play was made, and then saw the reverse angle, I knew how great a play it was by big joe stud.

Uncle_Patrick
10-05-2005, 03:25 PM
I think that play killed the momentum that the Red Sox were starting to build. It was definitely important. Thank God Iguchi had the prescence of mind to throw over there and Crede was paying attention to make the play.

Chicken Dinner
10-05-2005, 03:28 PM
It was a Rally Killer

SOXPHILE
10-05-2005, 03:30 PM
Great play. In a split second, I went from "NO ! NO ! NO ! GET THE SURE OUT ! AAAA!!!!" -to- "YEAH ! ALRIGHT ! GREAT PLAY !! THAT'S A MAJOR LEAGUE PLAY RIGHT THERE !" and high fiving eveyone around me.

Iwritecode
10-05-2005, 03:33 PM
I was following the game by gamecast and sat scratching my head for a minute trying to figure out what happened...

Crede said that it's a play they've talked about before.

samram
10-05-2005, 03:33 PM
I thought it was interesting that the Sox had a similar play in game 1 in the 2000 ALDS. ARod was on second and Charles Johnson threw down to second after a pitch and ARod broke for third. Jose Valentin threw a strike to the Milk Man to get him. Unfortunately, that was kind of the highlight of that series.

Edit: Now I don't think it was that interesting. More coincidental.

pudge
10-05-2005, 03:43 PM
I'd be interested to know how many MLB baseball coaches would consider Iguchi's throw a smart play. The score was 6-2, so even if the run eventually scores, it's only 6-3. From a non-pro level, I know my coaches in the past would have thrown a fit over that play. But Crede's scoop was HUGE!

Sxy Mofo
10-05-2005, 03:44 PM
Am I the only one who thought, "if the cubs second baseman had done that, this game would be over in favor of the red sox." .... But we're not that minor league team.

Speaking of that... cubs fan friends text message to mofo when the score was like 12-2:
"what the hell are wrong with these umps? your sox will choke in game 3"

my response:
"they're not the cubs..."

doublem23
10-05-2005, 03:45 PM
HUGE play. Anyone see Ozzies reaction during the play? pretty funny.

That was pretty much my reaction to the play, but Tadahito did it good. No hesitation, showed Crede the ball, let loose and nailed Millar by a good 3 feet at third.

Still, my heart jumped into my throat.

eriqjaffe
10-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Yea. I believe the tv angles at first didn't signify that the ball was bounced. But after I knew the play was made, and then saw the reverse angle, I knew how great a play it was by big joe stud.Yeah, Crede redeemed himself after booting the bunt earlier in the inning. He helped get 'em into trouble, but then helped get 'em back out of it.

hawkjt
10-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Joes scoop was huge just as Paulies scoops at first on some of joes throws. He was tight that was clear. But now we just play.

WikdChiSoxFan
10-05-2005, 04:27 PM
I still give the PotG to Jose Contreras in the 1st. With a man on second, 3-2 to Big Papi, turns him into Big Sloppy. Set the tone.

But I think that throw to third was huge in the sense that we aren't messing around. I think it sends a clear message that we are aggressive and just plain freakin good. I would have thrown to first, (one man on and a definate out vs. the possible two on, nobody out), but obviously tadahito got that feeling. That feeling like, I'm gonna throw this punk out cause I can.

I think a play like that gives me a little confidence when I turn on the TV tonight to watch the game.
But Wells isn't going to gift wrap this one like Clement did.

A_ROW33
10-05-2005, 05:08 PM
The Iguchi also certainly sent a message to the red cubs, we aren't going to give you anything. We know the value of moving the runner over to third as well as anyone in the league and we aren't going to stand by and let them do that. Iguchi's comments to the japanese media are pretty funny he basically said he saw the runner was slow so he decided to go to third "the throw was bad but Joe helped" I know he said that part.

Ol' No. 2
10-05-2005, 05:20 PM
This play may pay dividends through the whole series. The Red Sox are mostly a station-to-station team already. Getting nailed like that has to make them even more conservative. You never know when not taking that extra base is going to cost you.

vafan
10-05-2005, 05:25 PM
I thought the play was huge because it was a bang-bang DEFENSIVE play. Up until that point, we had booted 3 plays defensively.

1. Uribe dropped Dye's throw or Renteria would have been out trying for second in the first inning.

2. Uribe couldn't pick up Papi's oops grounder to SS.

3. Crede couldn't pick up Varitek's bunt and then booted it to allow the runners to second and 3rd.

We were playing uncharacteristically sloppy defense to that point.

Iquchi's play put us right back on track.

gbergman
10-05-2005, 05:37 PM
was in class when this happened wish i could have seen it though! I would of been oh **** when he threw it and then relieved after the tag

Corlose 15
10-05-2005, 05:43 PM
I reacted a little different to that play because I noticed how Tadahito threw the ball with such conviction. He fired it over there and when I saw that I figured they had Millar nailed. Luckily, Joe made a great pick and tag.

Paulwny
10-05-2005, 05:46 PM
After seeing Oz's reaction as the play was developing , I don't think we'll see this play again.

miker
10-05-2005, 06:17 PM
I'll admit that I, and everyone in my section, was fooled on that play. I expected them to take the out at first...and when I finally figured out what was going on, the ump was signalling "out".

Good fundamental baseball? Maybe not, BUT man was it a gutsy play...and we're all happy it worked.

slavko
10-05-2005, 11:08 PM
After seeing Oz's reaction as the play was developing , I don't think we'll see this play again.

In a game ruled by tradition, this one was outside the box. That's why Ozzie reacted the way he did. You're throwing into the runner, it's a tag play, take the sure out, blah, blah, blah. Sometimes tradition is invalid, esp if you've got a slow runner with a bad start. (NOOOOOOOOO, Good play)

TDog
10-05-2005, 11:44 PM
This play may pay dividends through the whole series. The Red Sox are mostly a station-to-station team already. Getting nailed like that has to make them even more conservative. You never know when not taking that extra base is going to cost you.

Exactly what I thought when I read about it. Blow 'em away, come from behind to win by one and even throw out a runner routinely advancing to third on a grounder to the right side.

These Red Sox now know who they're dealing with.