PDA

View Full Version : Any truth to this? (Konerko)

Jiddy78
10-05-2005, 01:32 PM
Saw this on ESPN BoSox board...Anyone can verify?

After Game 1, there was this kid crying outside the stadium, probably a middle schooler. He was wearing Red Sox gear, Konerko went up to him and asked what's wrong, the kid said he waited outside for the Red Sox so that he can get their autographs, he said the players just said to him sorry, we're in a hurry. Konerko then went on to sign all his stuff and even gave him one of his bats and gloves, at tonights game the kid will sit front row at the game, I think Fox or ESPN(depends on whos doing the game) will talk about this class act by Konerko during the game at some point.

Jiddy78
10-05-2005, 01:33 PM
If it's true....Props to Paulie...My kind of ballplayer.

cheeses_h_rice
10-05-2005, 01:35 PM
Another one of those famed clubhouse cancers, I see.

:wink:

StockdaleForVeep
10-05-2005, 01:37 PM
Saw this on ESPN BoSox board...Anyone can verify?

If it is, im sure espn will vulture this story all day today

sas1974
Wow. Not bad. By "gloves" I assume they mean "batting gloves." There is no way a player would part w/ his gamer just like that. Paulie is a class act. It's a shame he's such a poor teammate and clubhouse guy.

SouthSide_HitMen
Sounds like another $500,000 has been added to next years contract.:smile:

I've been in the minority this season but I hope Paul Konerko retires in a White Sox uniform!!!

One more thing:

:threadrules:

XplodingScorbord
10-05-2005, 01:38 PM
Stuff like this makes me love this team even more.

Attaboy, Paulie! GO WHITE SOX!

tstrike2000
10-05-2005, 01:39 PM
Hopefully it's true. Anytime a player can give back to the fans, especially kids it's always a great thing. With kids too, if something monumental like that happens to them, they will remember it forever.

chisoxfanatic
10-05-2005, 01:44 PM
They HAVE to re-sign him...He's too good to allow to walk, and I personally think he does want to stay.

scottjanssens
10-05-2005, 01:45 PM
I remain skeptical, but that's my nature. I'm not saying it didn't happen, just that I need a bit more than a post on a message board before I start feeling warm and fuzzy. Either that or some well made Manhattans.

ja1022
10-05-2005, 01:46 PM
Yeah, but don't forget he hurt Juan's feelings.....

Nice story if it's true.

soltrain21
10-05-2005, 01:51 PM
That little kid better have changed alliances.

Jiddy78
10-05-2005, 01:52 PM
I remain skeptical, but that's my nature. I'm not saying it didn't happen, just that I need a bit more than a post on a message board before I start feeling warm and fuzzy. Either that or some well made Manhattans.

Yeah...Sorry about that...but it was a good enough story that I decided who better than the boys here to sniff it out and find out if it is a rat or not?

IlliniSox
10-05-2005, 01:52 PM

I'd never be skeptical about ANY person performing a good deed without a reason. Especially a guy who gives so much of his free time to kids.

steff
10-05-2005, 01:54 PM
I'd never be skeptical about ANY person performing a good deed without a reason. Especially a guy who gives so much of his free time to kids.

He does... :?:

I'm skeptical. I don't see Paul doing this at all.

Dan Mega
10-05-2005, 02:04 PM
White Sox player insults young fan with used bat and gloves
Young Red Cubs fan reportedly claims that Konerko was rubbing the loss in, turn to page 2 for the shocking expose' by guest reporter Jay Mariotti

MsSoxVixen22
10-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Wow! That's great to hear! WTG, Paulie! It's so great that we have some class act guys on this team, Paulie, Aaron, Buehrle..makes me damn proud to be a Sox fan! :)

kevingrt
10-05-2005, 02:09 PM
Class act by PK, he keeps getting better on me everyday.

chopperjc
10-05-2005, 03:56 PM
White Sox player insults young fan with used bat and gloves
Young Red Cubs fan reportedly claims that Konerko was rubbing the loss in, turn to page 2 for the shocking expose' by guest reporter Jay Mariotti

:roflmao:

Tekijawa
10-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Lucky he didn't walk by Wrigley yesterday... he'd still be signing for all the Crying people outside of that Stadium!

Chisox003
10-05-2005, 04:04 PM
Wow, that's awesome PK

Berman (gag) was talking about him yesterday, and how Ozzie (when first hired) heard all these terrible things about Paulie, and he turned out to be the exact opposite....Great teammate, team leader...Berman went on to say that since 2000, PK has been "Mr. White Sox"

Well if that's true, I'm sure glad we got a guy like this representing us rather than someone who's resume contains steroids, wife beating, and corked bats

FWIW, the announcer doing the Astros/Braves game was just talking about free agents, and named all the big players, including Konerko, and added "Will all be wearing new uniforms next year" :rolleyes:

I sure hope not

StrTrkker
10-05-2005, 04:11 PM
They HAVE to re-sign him...He's too good to allow to walk, and I personally think he does want to stay.

I agree 100%. Paulie has proven this year that he is the heart and soul of the White Sox. Like Ozzie, Even tho at times he speaks his mind and his quotes may not be the best thing to come out outta his mouth hes just being Paulie.

You know this team reminds me of the 85 Bears. Different personalites lotsa controversy but the team has gels quite well and they all seem like they like each other. And the #1 thing is that their all focused. Its almost a cool calm that they know deep inside that their the best in the American League.

Heres to another win. Go Sox.

hawkjt
10-05-2005, 04:17 PM
At 29 Paulie is really just entering his prime years as a hitter. If anything he needs to slow his bat down as he pulls so many potential homers like the bomb he hit yesterday that I figured was his one shot for the day. I was wrong. Way to go Paulie. Keep it going!!!!

Sxy Mofo
10-05-2005, 04:21 PM
I agree 100%. Paulie has proven this year that he is the heart and soul of the White Sox. Like Ozzie, Even tho at times he speaks his mind and his quotes may not be the best thing to come out outta his mouth hes just being Paulie.

You know this team reminds me of the 85 Bears. Different personalites lotsa controversy but the team has gels quite well and they all seem like they like each other. And the #1 thing is that their all focused. Its almost a cool calm that they know deep inside that their the best in the American League.

Heres to another win. Go Sox.

I think we had a football team comparison earlier in the year. Many people related them to the patriots.
This team plays like the patriots and acts like the '85 bears. What a combination.

Jiddy78
10-05-2005, 04:22 PM
Well boys...It looks like this may be a false story from what I've been reading further at ESPN....It would've popped somewhere by now....and I've seen nothing to the affirmative....

Tricky bastards....

gbergman
10-05-2005, 04:35 PM
I hope this is true! great job Paulie for doing this, but what would you expect from the red cubs. was back in boston for my sisters wedding and went to the sunday white sox game on the 15th of august that got rained out in the fourth and was never more disgusted by there people at the game.

Frank the Tank
10-05-2005, 04:51 PM
This story being true = highly unlikely

miker
10-05-2005, 05:13 PM
Well boys...It looks like this may be a false story from what I've been reading further at ESPN....It would've popped somewhere by now....and I've seen nothing to the affirmative....
White Sox Fans Plant False Story About Konerko and Kid
Another low-brow stunt by insignificant, paradnoid fans

antitwins13
10-05-2005, 05:41 PM
Another one of those famed clubhouse cancers, I see.

:wink:

Way to be a class act Paulie Walnuts!

Chicago
10-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Looks like i'll be hanging outside the next home game crying my eyes out... :whiner:

soxjim
10-05-2005, 09:33 PM
Class act by Konerko. A good deed usually doesn't get the press. As each day that goes by I want this team to win the whole thing.

slavko
10-05-2005, 09:44 PM
I agree 100%.

Anything but the '85 Bears. The offense hated the defense and vice versa. The coaches hated each other. Most of the players were in love with themselves, which might be some of the reasons that the youngest team to win a Super Bowl never got back to the Big One.

Aside from the fact that baseball is a more tradition-bound game, baseball players in general and these Sox in particular have a lot more humility and respect than either football or basketball players. If a player hit an HR and did a touchdown dance, he would be eating a fastball the next at bat. That's why you don't see celebrations in a game except in the cases of jerks like Sammy Steroid.

Frater Perdurabo
10-05-2005, 09:54 PM
Anything but the '85 Bears. The offense hated the defense and vice versa. The coaches hated each other. Most of the players were in love with themselves, which might be some of the reasons that the youngest team to win a Super Bowl never got back to the Big One.

I really think that has more to do with the inability of the Bears to find a backup quarterback when McMahon went down, particularly in 1986. Thankfully, the 2005 White Sox don't rely on one "quarterback." Each player on the Sox - right down to the backup catcher - has played a "clutch" role in winning games, and each and every one of them has done the "little things," like "throwing key blocks" and "making key tackles," that don't show up on the stat sheets, particularly when the Sox win by scoring two touchdowns like they did yesterday! Thankfully a safety and Iguchi's field goal were enough to get it done tonight!
:tongue:

:supernana:

slavko
10-05-2005, 10:40 PM
I really think that has more to do with the inability of the Bears to find a backup quarterback when McMahon went down, particularly in 1986. Thankfully, the 2005 White Sox don't rely on one "quarterback." Each player on the Sox - right down to the backup catcher - has played a "clutch" role in winning games, and each and every one of them has done the "little things," like "throwing key blocks" and "making key tackles," that don't show up on the stat sheets, particularly when the Sox win by scoring two touchdowns like they did yesterday! Thankfully a safety and Iguchi's field goal were enough to get it done tonight!
:tongue:

:supernana:

Mac was part of the problem of the backup himself by trying to turn the team against Flutie. Supports what I said about the '85 Bears being a poor example of a TEAM. I did like your football/baseball analogies, however. And many of the Bears that year were self-centered jerks, from the top down.