PDA

View Full Version : A Few Stats on the Starters...

The_Floridian
10-05-2005, 12:14 PM
Just looked this up:

Wells in September: 4-1, 4.50 ERA, 45 H, 7 BB, 16 K
Buehrle in September: 2-1, 3.36 ERA, 42 H, 8 BB, 30 K

That's pretty good. Wells clearly got a couple wins from run support. Mark's ERA is a full run lower.

Now this is where it gets interesting:

Wells on the road: 7-6, 5.56 ERA, .327 BAA
Buehrle at home: 10-2, 2.48 ERA, .247 BAA

I know Wells is a big game pitcher, but that's a difference of three runs and 80 average points. This doesn't cinch anything, but it definitely is a good matchup for Buehrle.

Kuzman
10-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Buehrle at home: 10-2, 2.48 ERA, .247 BAA I was there for both of those losses and I'm going tonight.

Anyone want 2 tickets for tonight? :wink:

Cambridge
10-05-2005, 12:30 PM
I don't have this year's numbers, but with the core of the offense intact (Ortiz, Manny, Damon, Nixon, etc) they're likely similar to what they were in 2004. Here is how the Red Sox did last year against control pitchers (CP) vs power pitchers (PP):

ISO vs CP = 192
ISO vs PP = 193

OBP vs CP = .362
OBP vs PP = .357

Almost identical, with the difference being that they drew more walks against power pitchers and singles against control pitchers. Not surprisingly, Contreras not walking anyone yesterday contributed in a huge way to his success.

Info per Baseball Prospectus.

ChicagoHoosier
10-05-2005, 12:47 PM
I think these records can be thrown out the window tonight. It's good to know and be optimistic, but there have been several games where we've had the clear clear clear upper-hand in pitching matchup and come away without a W, so let's just hope MB can step up and have his A game. Wells is much more proven as a big-game pitcher and MB has yet to truly show he's ready to shine over the spotlight, so here's to Buehrle starting tonight with his new "big game pitcher" image!

Randar68
10-05-2005, 12:58 PM
not trying to damped the modd, but Buehrle was shelled in his 2 starts against Boston. Wells wasn't much better, but...

Buehrle:

Jul 21 at home - 6.0IP - 10H - 5R - 3ER - 3BB - 1K
Aug 12 @BOS - 7.0IP - 12H - 6R - 6ER - 2HR - 2BB - 2K

Wells:
Aug 12 - 6.2IP - 9H - 5R - 3ER - 1HR - 0BB - 5K

Ol' No. 2
10-05-2005, 01:07 PM
not trying to damped the modd, but Buehrle was shelled in his 2 starts against Boston. Wells wasn't much better, but...

Buehrle:

Wells:
Aug 12 - 6.2IP - 9H - 5R - 3ER - 1HR - 0BB - 5KPersonally, I don't think that stuff means diddley squat. It's a small sampling. Besides, that July 21 game was the one where the defense let him down pretty badly.

Contreras had a horrible record against the Red Sox, too. Players have good days and bad ones. We just need one good one from Burly-mon and a bad one from Wells.

elrod
10-05-2005, 01:13 PM
For years Buehrle's been our "ace". Now we get to see how he does in the playoffs. We know Wells steps it up in the post-season too. He is 10-3 with a 3.18 ERA overall in the postseason. In the last couple years, he's been a little mixed.

2004: none
2003: ALCS, 1-0, 2.35
2003: ALDS, 1-0, 1.17
2003 WS, 0-1, 3.38
2002 ALDS, 0-1, 15.43

harwar
10-05-2005, 03:00 PM
A guy like Buehrle absolutely can not miss his spots because a team like boston will kill you if you leave it out over the plate.
Of course the umpire has to cooperate.If Buehrle has great control it doesn't mean much if the ump won't call it.
Anyway ,it should be great with Mark facing his mentor in the biggest game of his life to date.

ode to veeck
10-05-2005, 03:08 PM
these numbers don't mean crap at this point ... it's the playoffs, anything can happen ... and it likely will

Deuce
10-05-2005, 03:10 PM

Buehrle:

Wells:
Aug 12 - 6.2IP - 9H - 5R - 3ER - 1HR - 0BB - 5K

The July 21st game is a quality start. 3 earned runs in 6 innings is fine. The unearned runs are what killed us. I don't care so much about hits. After all, Jose gave up a ton yesterday. As long as they don't materialize into runs, it's no big deal.

The August game was in the mist of our slump. The only starter to do well that month was Jose. Still, that was two months ago, so I'm not worried.

Buehrle at home is a tough nut to crack. If he comes to play (which he has for the majority of the year), the Wrong Sox are going to have to figure out a way to mount another comeback.

Deuce

my5thbench
10-05-2005, 03:56 PM
does the fact that Sox fans absolutely hate David Wells count for anything?

let's see...he stole money from the Sox as a member of the team & oh yea

he called out Frank Thomas when Frank was seriously injured.....could Sox

fans posible make fat boomer's life miserable tonight....I hope so

kevin57
10-05-2005, 03:59 PM

fans posible make fat boomer's life miserable tonight....I hope so

I certainly hope there's a "grudge factor" at work. We play better with that motivation, but how many of our current regulars were around for the gentlemanly conduct of Mr. Wells?

Ol' No. 2
10-05-2005, 04:10 PM

fans posible make fat boomer's life miserable tonight....I hope soSpeak for yourself. I can't figure out what people have against David Wells. He "stole money" from the team? Jeez.:rolleyes:

maurice
10-05-2005, 04:25 PM
I can't figure out what people have against David Wells.

I can't speak for others, but for me it's the Frank BS and this extremely annoying factoid:
Wells has started 30+ games and had double-digit wins in each of the last 10 years except for one.
That one year, he only started 16 games and went 5-7.
:angry:

Let's kick his ass.

Jjav829
10-05-2005, 04:28 PM
I think this will be a much closer game. Wells probably won't get rocked like Clement and the Red Sox are probably going to fare a little better against the soft stuff of Buehrle. I can see this being a 7-6 type game.

Ol' No. 2
10-05-2005, 04:28 PM
I can't speak for others, but for me it's the Frank BS and this extremely annoying factoid:
Wells has started 30+ games and had double-digit wins in each of the last 10 years except for one.
That one year, he only started 16 games and went 5-7.
:angry:

Let's kick his ass.He had back problems. Is he the only player ever to be injured? And, IIRC, he pretty much pleaded with KW to resign him at a discount because he felt he owed them something. What a bum.

maurice
10-05-2005, 04:33 PM
He had back problems.

He ALWAYS had back problems. He didn't become injured in 2001 and then get cured. Back injuries don't just go away. They're controlled by conditioning. Yet, during Spring Training with the Sox, he said that conditioning is not an issue and that he stopped working out because it didn't affect his performance. He was wrong. The games he missed were entirely his fault. In the following years, he got in better shape and stayed healthy.

Wells has played for 8 different teams, but the only team he screwed through sheer laziness was the Sox. It's long past time to screw him back. Besides, I'm not so quick to forgive him for his baseless, drunken attack on the best baseball player in Chicago history.

Jjav829
10-05-2005, 04:38 PM
Besides, I'm not so quick to forgive him for his baseless, drunken attack on the best baseball player in Chicago history.

You're way off here.....

....I don't recall Wells ever saying a bad thing about Royce Clayton. :redneck

FarWestChicago
10-05-2005, 04:39 PM
....I don't recall Wells ever saying a bad thing about Royce Clayton. :redneck:rolling:

HotelWhiteSox
10-05-2005, 04:42 PM
From Reifort:

White Sox vs. Wells

Career Batting numbers against Boston's starter today:

Uribe, 2-3, .667

Crede, 4-9, .444

Pods, 2-4, .500

Rowand, 2-6, .333

Dye, 6-28, .214

Everett, 5-23, .217, 1 HR, 4 RBI

Konerko, 3-14, .214, RBI

Iguchi, 0-3

Widger, 3-11, .273, 1 RBI

I'm not sure why he includes Widger when he his lineup for today has AJ (as it should be)

Ol' No. 2
10-05-2005, 05:16 PM
He ALWAYS had back problems. He didn't become injured in 2001 and then get cured. Back injuries don't just go away. They're controlled by conditioning. Yet, during Spring Training with the Sox, he said that conditioning is not an issue and that he stopped working out because it didn't affect his performance. He was wrong. The games he missed were entirely his fault. In the following years, he got in better shape and stayed healthy.

Wells has played for 8 different teams, but the only team he screwed through sheer laziness was the Sox. It's long past time to screw him back. Besides, I'm not so quick to forgive him for his baseless, drunken attack on the best baseball player in Chicago history.IIRC, Wells' back had just deteriorated to the point where he needed surgery, which he had that year. No amount of conditioning would have made any difference. And his subsequent health was due to having the problem fixed, not because of conditioning.

HotelWhiteSox
10-05-2005, 05:21 PM
I wonder how much press the 'shaving cream' thing would get if a White Sox pitcher was accused of this, similar to how the Ozzie 'choke sign' picture was ridiculously blown out of proportion. I haven't even heard radio or TV outlets report it, only saw it on this message board and a Yankee one, since they hate the Red Sox (they got it from rotoworld)

maurice
10-05-2005, 05:32 PM
IIRC . . . his subsequent health was due to having the problem fixed, not because of conditioning.

No, he still has back problems to this day. (Take it from a person with back problems -- you can manage them with diet and exercise, but they never go away, even after surgery.) Wells' post-2001 health was due to him cutting back on alcohol consumption and dropping 30 lbs. after he left the Sox. It was reported (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/2002-02-13/2002-02-13-cover.htm) extensively at the time. For example:

SAFETY HARBOR, Fla. -- Feb. 13, 2002 -- David Wells has given up beer. . . . Wells is sharing this revelation following a one-hour cardiovascular workout that included a heavy dose of abdominal work. Instead of drinking six-packs, he's spent his winter trying to develop one. While no one will confuse the Yankees' left-hander with Gabe Kapler when spring training camps open this week, the 6-4 Wells has dropped 30 pounds and now weighs a solid 245. Until recently, Wells had reveled in being fat, just like his hero, Babe Ruth. For years, Wells scoffed at the fitness trend sweeping baseball, restricted his weightlifting to 12-ounce curls and remained one of the game's most durable pitchers. That changed last year . . . .

Wells knew he had to make drastic changes in his lifestyle if he wanted to return. Doctors told him that in order to take pressure off the back, he had to shed the Michelin Man look up front. So for the first time, Wells wandered into the exercise room of the home he purchased three years ago, took note of how his wife, Nina, had arranged the equipment, and went to work. He hired her trainer, swore off carbohydrates and, in the ultimate sacrifice, gave up beer. . . . "[T]he doctors said that if I can't see through it, I can't drink it."

[F]or the first time ever, Wells speaks with authority and not disgust about diet and exercise. . . . Three years ago, the Yankees traded Wells to Toronto during spring training because some club officials feared it was only a matter of time before his eating habits and nocturnal lifestyle took their toll. . . . Wells says that were it not for the back problems, he might still be showing up to camp looking like he spent the winter subsisting on beer and hot dogs.

Laziness aside, he's still a POS for his comments re. Thomas and deserves a beating.

Ol' No. 2
10-05-2005, 05:39 PM
No, he still has back problems to this day. (Take it from a person with back problems -- you can manage them with diet and exercise, but they never go away, even after surgery.) Wells' post-2001 health was due to him cutting back on alcohol consumption and dropping 30 lbs. after he left the Sox. It was reported (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/2002-02-13/2002-02-13-cover.htm) extensively at the time. For example:

Laziness aside, he's still a POS for his comments re. Thomas and deserves a beating.Perhaps I should have said RELATIVE health. No question that changing lifestyle makes a difference. But he had back problems for years, and it was getting progressively worse. Possibly better conditioning may have delayed the need for surgical repair, but it's likely he would have needed it sooner or later.