PDA

View Full Version : Let's clean it up Sox Fans

Ol' No. 2
10-05-2005, 09:28 AM
At yesterday's game there was an elderly couple wearing Red Sox gear in the section next to me. All game long people were getting in their faces, waving fingers and shouting at them. ***? These people just came to see a game and support their team. That's the kind of behavior I expect from Cubs fans. Let's all try to behave with a little class from here on.

CaptainBallz
10-05-2005, 09:32 AM
There's always gonna be bad apples. Don't be like "them" and paint everybody with the same brush.

BTW, some healthy trash-talkin with opposing fans is fun and part of the crowd experience, so long as it doesn't turn violent or ignorant. Point is, you can't police them all.....

cheeses_h_rice
10-05-2005, 09:37 AM
I saw very little interaction between Chisox and Bosox fans yesterday, except for a little bit of completely good-natured ribbing of the Boston fans when the game turned into a rout. IMO, Sox fans carried themselves with class. Sucks that not everyone acted this way.

wdelaney72
10-05-2005, 09:40 AM
That's the problem with Dave Wills being in Tampa, no more fan etiquette seminars.

That's a real shame, though. People should know better.

CHIsoxNation
10-05-2005, 09:43 AM
I agree. Some fans need to tone it down a bit. I am all for joking around and intellectual baseball conversations but sometimes people take things too far.

There were a couple of older guys, maybe mid 30s, in the section I was sitting in SCREAMING obscene things at a Boston fan sitting near us. Not only with this distracting and annoying for those of us around them watching the game. But there were also little kids around hearing things such as "I'm going to (urinate) on you after the game"......and calling him every sick name in the book. The kid was doing nothing to bring this on, other than wear a Boston jersey.

I actually felt bad for the kid. A few of us asked the guys to tone it down a bit but they wouldn't give up. The kid ended up leaving the game after the 6th inning because he was actually afraid of these men.

I have friends that have been life longs SOX fans that refuse to go to the games because of people like this. It's people like this that give the rest of us SOX fans a bad rep. I'm all for cheering the SOX everynight, but I hate seeing people get treated like I saw this kid get treated.

Mickster
10-05-2005, 09:44 AM
That's the problem with Dave Wills being in Tampa, no more fan etiquette seminars.

That's a real shame, though. People should know better.

Wills happened to be in Row 1 of the LF bleachers yeaterday sporting a nifty Sox polo!!! :gulp:

voodoochile
10-05-2005, 09:58 AM
I agree. Some fans need to tone it down a bit. I am all for joking around and intellectual baseball conversations but sometimes people take things too far.

There were a couple of older guys, maybe mid 30s, in the section I was sitting in SCREAMING obscene things at a Boston fan sitting near us. Not only with this distracting and annoying for those of us around them watching the game. But there were also little kids around hearing things such as "I'm going to (urinate) on you after the game"......and calling him every sick name in the book. The kid was doing nothing to bring this on, other than wear a Boston jersey.

I actually felt bad for the kid. A few of us asked the guys to tone it down a bit but they wouldn't give up. The kid ended up leaving the game after the 6th inning because he was actually afraid of these men.

I have friends that have been life longs SOX fans that refuse to go to the games because of people like this. It's people like this that give the rest of us SOX fans a bad rep. I'm all for cheering the SOX everynight, but I hate seeing people get treated like I saw this kid get treated.

People like that should be reported to the usher. It's called assault and it's illegal. Get 'em kicked out of the game. There's no excuse for that kind of behavior period.

Make a stand and be proud of it.

soxfan1965
10-05-2005, 10:01 AM
I saw the same thing with Twins fans. If this keeps up, it will be hard for the Sox to boost attenance by getting the busload crowds from Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana, or thr rest of Illinois like the Northside gets every summer--plus the die hards from Boston and other cities. You would expect this from New York. Word will get out that the Cell is unsafe for people who are basically already afraid of the big bad city and especially the South Side. They will continue to go to the North side to the friendly safe confines (ironically someone was shot to death last year on Clark). It's bad enough to have the reputation of a place where thugs run out in the field and attack the opposing team, now to have fans of other teams ridiculed in an inappropriate ways. I'd say Sox security has to throw some of these violators out of the park.

IspepAloc
10-05-2005, 10:15 AM
There were a few fans up in our section yesterday that were unruly. There was a 12-14 year old kid sitting in front of us with BoSox gear on and would stand and clap when they got hits. When the good guys scored, people would throw peanuts at him and finally some guy behind me through an empty beer cup at him. We felt bad for the kid, and the people sitting with the beer cup idiot were telling him that he was just a kid and to leave him alone.

DumpJerry
10-05-2005, 10:19 AM
People like that should be reported to the usher. It's called assault and it's illegal. Get 'em kicked out of the game. There's no excuse for that kind of behavior period.

Make a stand and be proud of it.
I was at a game earlier this year (duh, of course it was earlier this year!), we were playing, I think, the Twins or Tribe and in the 8th inning some drunk jerk of a Sox fan jumped up, ran back about 6 rows and got in the face of a woman wearing the visitor's jersey and just let loose two inches from her face. She had been sitting there the whole game quiet as a mouse (the Sox led the whole game, she did not have much to cheer about). A bunch of us told him to knock it off and get back to his seat. Security arrived and sat behind the woman and her friend for the remainder of the game.

As I was walking out after the game ended, the security guy was telling her that getting worked up like that guy did was not worth it because it's "only a game." He was right. The woman was smiling and did not seem disturbed by the situation-it did not hurt that the Sox fans all around took her side and told the guy to get lost.

If you ever see this going on, let the Customer Service people know right away, they'll get security immediately and the situation will end.

Remember everyone, we're not Cub fans. When we sit near someone who is for the other team, we don't talk about their DNA pool, we talk about their pitchers' ERAs and team OBP.:smile:

PatK
10-05-2005, 10:23 AM
There were a few fans up in our section yesterday that were unruly. There was a 12-14 year old kid sitting in front of us with BoSox gear on and would stand and clap when they got hits. When the good guys scored, people would throw peanuts at him and finally some guy behind me through an empty beer cup at him. We felt bad for the kid, and the people sitting with the beer cup idiot were telling him that he was just a kid and to leave him alone.

Seriously, if I saw something like that, I'd be kicking someone's ass.

People need to start reporting that to the ushers.

I'm all for the occasional good natured ribbing of opposing fans, but screaming obscenities and throwing things goes well beyond the line of what's expectable.

People need to remember that having a ticket gives you admission to the game, not a license to be a world-class douchebag.

jdm2662
10-05-2005, 10:23 AM
Unfortunately, every team has their share of moron fans. There are plenty of morons out there, and it makes it tough to enjoy the game. I hope those people are reported to security. It's great to be a fan of a team and cheer, but it's got to be done in the proper way. Everyone is entitiled to enjoy the game if they have a ticket.

Jenks4Pres
10-05-2005, 10:25 AM
I'm sorry but who cares if Boston fans were being harrassed? I say give em' hell!

Furthermore, I think yesterday's crowd was the best I have ever seen!

Pasqua's Posers
10-05-2005, 10:29 AM
My take on this is simple. As long as you don't physically assault anyone (throwing stuff is included), you can berate the fans of the other team when they come into your park. However, if they are minding their own business, be CLASSY. These people have to know that wearing the other teams colors to a playoff game, that they will get a ALOT of crap blown their way.

Let's GO WHite Sox! We need another win tonight in order to avoid Schilling...

cheeses_h_rice
10-05-2005, 10:30 AM
How 'bout this: don't shower CHILDREN with verbal abuse?

Sheesh.

BRDSR
10-05-2005, 10:31 AM
I'm sorry but who cares if Boston fans were being harrassed? I say give em' hell!

After AJPs second homerun of the day, a couple wearing Red Sox gear got up and left. The couple sections I was in starting singing "Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye." All in good fun. Everybody was smiling, including the couple, no one was throwing things, and that was that.

As soon as the heckling becomes illegal(throwing things, verbal insults, violating ones personal space) then it becomes wrong. Don't be the kind of person that puts up with drunken misbehavior from grown men. It's embarassing to themselves, the White Sox, and the city of Chicago. My suggestion is either to knock the person out yourself, or report them to security.

PorkChopExpress
10-05-2005, 10:33 AM

Yesterday's crowd was awesome, but I care if Boston fans were being harrassed. Like many have said here, a little good-natured ribbing is fine, but throwing things at people, especially the elderly or young kids, is way out of line. When I go to watch the White Sox at an opposing team's park, I would like to expect that I can do so without incident, and I would like to expect that other team's fans can come here and do the same. We have a bad enough reputation as it is because of a few idiots, but we do not need to embrace it. Let's be classy people.

tebman
10-05-2005, 10:54 AM
Yesterday's crowd was awesome, but I care if Boston fans were being harrassed. Like many have said here, a little good-natured ribbing is fine, but throwing things at people, especially the elderly or young kids, is way out of line. When I go to watch the White Sox at an opposing team's park, I would like to expect that I can do so without incident, and I would like to expect that other team's fans can come here and do the same. We have a bad enough reputation as it is because of a few idiots, but we do not need to embrace it. Let's be classy people.
Absolutely. A couple of times over the years I've gotten the attention of an usher/security guy to point out some defecatory orifice who's harrassing a visiting team fan or simply being excessively profane. There's some risk in that of course, and discretion is usually the better part of valor, but real baseball fans need to draw the line when somebody goes over the line. We know where that line is, and we need to respect it.

Ahem. Now I feel I can safely say I hope the Red Sox can go back to preening themselves in their phony everyman act after they're soundly beaten by the Real Sox this week. :cool:

Ol' No. 2
10-05-2005, 10:59 AM

Furthermore, I think yesterday's crowd was the best I have ever seen!I would only hope that if your parents or grandparents or children (should you ever have any) were to visit another team's park that they would not run into anyone with this attitude.

Dan Mega
10-05-2005, 11:15 AM
I one and only time I was at Fenway to catch a White Sox game in Boston I:

1)had peanuts thrown at me

2)had beer poured on me

3)cigarettes flicked at me

4)punch thrown at me

5)things shouted at me

Fenway security was reluctant to do anything until the White Sox scored, I clapped (still sitting down, saying nothing) and a guy in front of me turned around and swung.

If you think it gets bad at the Cell or even Wrigley, go to Fenway or Oakland wearing the visitors colors.

wdelaney72
10-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Wills happened to be in Row 1 of the LF bleachers yeaterday sporting a nifty Sox polo!!! :gulp:

While he's in town, maybe he could have a conversation with Mitch Rosen.

Cambridge
10-05-2005, 11:36 AM
some drunk jerk of a Sox fan jumped up, ran back about 6 rows and got in the face of a woman wearing the visitor's jersey and just let loose two inches from her face.

And I'm willing to bet good money that had the person in the visitor's jersey been male and 6-3, 225, this moron doesn't go near him. Or maybe he yells from 6 rows away and starts shouting for security if the guy gets up to confront him.

slavko
10-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Sadly, this used to happen frequently when Comiskey was the place to load up and get rowdy, before that scene shifted to Wrigley. I hope it's not the price of popularity, unless human nature is repealed when you cross Madison St.

woodenleg
10-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Anyone can put on a Sox jersey, go to a Sox game and act like an idiot.

Therefore, the behavior of one is not a reflection of all. You know, reasonable doubt and all that.

Also, I've seen enough - I'll rely on my own eyes and ears for now.

'Cos I was anticipating these sorts of dirty tricks. I mean, it's not as if we haven't seen them before...if this is happening:

1) report them to security
2) collar them and give them a 'Sox fan test'.

woodenleg
10-05-2005, 11:48 AM
Sadly, this used to happen frequently when Comiskey was the place to load up and get rowdy, before that scene shifted to Wrigley. I hope it's not the price of popularity, unless human nature is repealed when you cross Madison St.

Oh yeah...there's always a 'price for everything'...so the sado 'wisdom' back east goes.

mdep524
10-05-2005, 12:07 PM
At yesterday's game there was an elderly couple wearing Red Sox gear in the section next to me. All game long people were getting in their faces, waving fingers and shouting at them. ***? These people just came to see a game and support their team. That's the kind of behavior I expect from Cubs fans. Let's all try to behave with a little class from here on. I think this is a great point and I'm glad you brought it up ON2. First of all, I think some of this can be written off as anecdotal evidence (i.e. one person did it but that's not representative of every Sox fan. woodenleg is right- the behavior of one is not reflective of the behavior of all. (Of course, if 1 person out of 40,000 goes over the line, you can bet the Cubune will be there to report it thoroughly with broad generalizations).

To me the most important thing about all this is: if/when we win the World Series (or even the AL pennant). For some reason, other cities' "fans" have found a championship win to be a good reason to go around looting stores, starting fires, turning over cars, driving wasted, and generally creating a ridiculous amount of crime, injury and even death.

Please, Sox fans- if/when we win this thing let's keep the celebration classy and causality-free. It's going to be wild, and there will be incidents, but I really hope it stays clean.

Ol' No. 2
10-05-2005, 12:12 PM
I think this is a great point and I'm glad you brought it up ON2. First of all, I think some of this can be written off as anecdotal evidence (i.e. one person did it but that's not representative of every Sox fan. woodenleg is right- the behavior of one is not reflective of the behavior of all. (Of course, if 1 person out of 40,000 goes over the line, you can bet the Cubune will be there to report it thoroughly with broad generalizations).

To me the most important thing about all this is: if/when we win the World Series (or even the AL pennant). For some reason, other cities' "fans" have found a championship win to be a good reason to go around looting stores, starting fires, turning over cars, driving wasted, and generally creating a ridiculous amount of crime, injury and even death.

Please, Sox fans- if/when we win this thing let's keep the celebration classy and causality-free. It's going to be wild, and there will be incidents, but I really hope it stays clean.It's definately a small percentage. But even a small percentage of 40,000 people is still a lot of jerks. I was, frankly, embarrassed by their behavior. If someone is talking smack, then go ahead and give it right back. But the golden rule applies here. Treat them the way you would want your parents, grandparents, wives or children to be treated.

DumpJerry
10-05-2005, 12:16 PM
And I'm willing to bet good money that had the person in the visitor's jersey been male and 6-3, 225, this moron doesn't go near him. Or maybe he yells from 6 rows away and starts shouting for security if the guy gets up to confront him.
Quite true! The idiot had one of his hands bandaged up in a gauze. Maybe he lost a fight earlier in another section?

The woman he went after was not a big person. Maybe 5-5, 120.

kittle42
10-05-2005, 12:21 PM
It's definately a small percentage. But even a small percentage of 40,000 people is still a lot of jerks.

It's a small percentage in this thread, too!

Brian26
10-05-2005, 12:35 PM

Please, Sox fans- if/when we win this thing let's keep the celebration classy and causality-free. It's going to be wild, and there will be incidents, but I really hope it stays clean.

This isn't Detroit or LA...and it's not even the west side of Chicago. I don't forsee this as a problem.

Garland_IS_God
10-05-2005, 01:06 PM
How 'bout this: don't shower CHILDREN with verbal abuse?

Sheesh.

Exactly right. I can see talking smack to an adult who can at least talk back and have fun with it, but a little kid is going to feel threatened. Thats just wrong.

slobes
10-05-2005, 01:06 PM
This one BoSox fan was sitting in the row in front of me. He left sometime in the 4th inning and didn't come back...

kevin57
10-05-2005, 01:08 PM
This one BoSox fan was sitting in the row in front of me. He left sometime in the 4th inning and didn't come back...

You don't say if he left because he was getting abusive grief or because the Bosox were hopelessly out of it.

hold2dibber
10-05-2005, 01:20 PM
Exactly right. I can see talking smack to an adult who can at least talk back and have fun with it, but a little kid is going to feel threatened. Thats just wrong.

Talking smack and having fun with it is one thing, screaming, swearing, threatening and insulting is another. I don't care if the other team's fan is a 6 year old kid or a 6'5" weight lifter, being abusive (as opposed to good natured ribbing) to fans of other teams is ignorant and feeds into the b.s. stereo-type of Sox fans as punks. Anybody who crosses that line should be reported and ejected asap.

skobabe8
10-05-2005, 01:22 PM
On a less serious note, it was FANTASTIC to see the morons around me in sec. 507 FAIL MISERABLY at trying to start the wave. Good job upper deck fans! :thumbsup:

scottjanssens
10-05-2005, 01:23 PM
The jerks are most likely bandwagoners. Talking about it here or Wills on the radio isn't likely to do good. As was mentioned the only thing that will change this is to take a stand against it then and there.

A few times this season I've seen security escort idiots throwing peanuts at people. Once security knows what's going on they don't hesitate to take action. Sometimes it's a warning, sometimes it's immediate ejection.

slobes
10-05-2005, 01:26 PM
You don't say if he left because he was getting abusive grief or because the Bosox were hopelessly out of it.

I'd say 75% abusive grief, 25% bosox were hopelessly out of it

mterraza
10-05-2005, 01:27 PM

That's a very horrible thing for a 12-14 year old kid to go thru...but don't you think he should have known better? It's the playoffs and it's a heated atmosphere? If you come to Comiskey in October and start rooting for the opponent, don't expect to be treated with a big thumbs up and happy smile. :welcome:

Red Sox fans in Fenway do the exact same thing if not worse.

kninchicago
10-05-2005, 01:46 PM
As I rode the train in yesterday there was a guy probably early/mid 20s with a BoSox jersey on. He was speaking quite loudly to his friends about how he felt Boston was really lucky to play the White Sox and not the Angels since the Angels are so hot right now. Also about how Contreras wasn't anything special. No one said anything to him, just glared.

I'd love to have seen him by the 4th inning! Hell, by the 2nd!

scottjanssens
10-05-2005, 01:53 PM
As I rode the train in yesterday there was a guy probably early/mid 20s with a BoSox jersey on. He was speaking quite loudly to his friends about how he felt Boston was really lucky to play the White Sox and not the Angels since the Angels are so hot right now. Also about how Contreras wasn't anything special. No one said anything to him, just glared.

I'd have laughed and told my friends, a car load of White Sox fans, what an idiot he was. I believe it was Mark Twain that said "Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

ode to veeck
10-05-2005, 02:14 PM
If you think it gets bad at the Cell or even Wrigley, go to Fenway or Oakland wearing the visitors colors.

West, White Sock, Mrs Ode, and I wear our Sox stuff to the Oakland Colleseum all season long and haven't had any problems. I've done the same at Fenway without any trouble.

Vernam
10-05-2005, 02:23 PM
While headed toward Gate 5, we saw a BoSox fan tailgating with several White Sox fans. The guy was wearing solid red socks that went up past his knees and disappeared under a Boston road jersey that wasn't tucked in. As a matter of fact, there was no evidence he was even wearing shorts -- kind of like a waitress in a sports bar. "Hey, nice tights," I said, good-naturedly. He seemed to take it pretty well, although he then hiked up his shirt to either a.) prove he was actually wearing shorts, b.) pretend he was about to expose himself, or c.) all of the above. My 10-year-old daughter didn't know what to make of it, but I think it was all in fun. :D:

People who abuse other fans verbally or otherwise aren't welcome in the park. If I see it, I give a quick warning that, if it continues, I'll get security. That's always solved the problem, though the loudmouths tend to grumble under their breath a lot. If you think that's the way to prove you're a great fan, you couldn't be more wrong.

Vernam

CLR01
10-05-2005, 02:27 PM
West, White Sock, Mrs Ode, and I wear of Sox stuff to the Oakland Colleseum all season long and haven't had any problems. I've done the same at Fenway without any trouble.

But would you do it during a Raiders game? Besides everyone knows the fans in Boston and Oakland are not passionate.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-05-2005, 02:32 PM
A good rule of thumb - if you wouldn't want to your mother or grandmother to hear it or read it (as far as posts) or see you act that way - it is probably a good idea not to do it (or say it or yell it or type it, etc.).

CLR01
10-05-2005, 02:33 PM
That's a very horrible thing for a 12-14 year old kid to go thru...but don't you think he should have known better? It's the playoffs and it's a heated atmosphere? If you come to Comiskey in October and start rooting for the opponent, don't expect to be treated with a big thumbs up and happy smile. :welcome:

Exactly and thats why he should get his ass kicked along with Ronnie Woo Woo. At 12 years old he should definitely know better. It is a sin to support your team in another city and you should be treated like ****.

:dumbass:

ma-gaga
10-05-2005, 02:41 PM
yep.

Golden Rule applies. We're living in a time where people are polarized against each other for a lot of different reasons, some petty, some not.

Bottom line; Give as much as you can take, keep the tone light, and watch the language in front of kids. This is JUST A GAME.

It really makes me sad to hear about the boorish behaivior of 2 or 3 morons. Because we all know that the negative gets reported and the positive gets buried.

oh. and if you break the 'rules', don't come here and brag about it.

:gulp:

kevin57
10-05-2005, 02:47 PM
Boorish behavior is bad, period. :tsk:

Let's not give the Cubune any possible material. They would love to get ahold of this type of behavior.

fisk4ever
10-05-2005, 05:38 PM

A 12-14 year old shouldn't be able to go to a playoff game and enjoy the game? If they do the wrong thing at Fenway, that excuses it?

Frankfan4life
10-05-2005, 09:56 PM
Wow, I'm really ashamed and embarrassed by that kind of behavior. :redface: I don't like cursing at all in public. Please Sox fans, check yourselves, let everybody enjoy the game or at least not feel threatened or harassed. Geez!!

I'd like to apologize to the Boston fans and the fans of any other visiting team who were subjected to that kind of behavior by some ignorant Sox fans. It's so uncalled for. Sox fans, remember, it's only a game, act civilized. Thank you!

chuckn98229
10-05-2005, 10:12 PM
I attended the Friday and Saturday evening White Sox games in Seattle (Safeco) this past August. The Sox won both of those games. Towards the end of the second game, a couple of Mariners' fans sitting near me got up to leave. They tapped me on the shoulder on their way out and told me how much they appreciated my non-boorish behavior during the Sox win. Made me feel good that their limited experience with a genuine White Sox fan was a good one. We all need to do what we can do in our limited way to reflect positively on the White Sox Army.

ode to veeck
10-05-2005, 10:13 PM
But would you do it during a Raiders game? Of course, the Silver and Black goes a lot better at a Raiders game than those goofy A's colors!

RadioheadRocks
10-05-2005, 10:17 PM
I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments posted on this thread. I do quite a bit of roadtripping and enjoy visiting other Major League parks, and courtesy goes a long way.

CLR01
10-05-2005, 10:53 PM
Of course, the Silver and Black goes a lot better at a Raiders game than those goofy A's colors!

:cuss:

*Insert Bears jersey in place of Sox jersey

jehosaphat
10-06-2005, 12:34 AM

Good natured ribbing is one thing, harassment is another. Where does one draw the line? I guess it is like pornography - I know abuse when I see it.

To answer your question, I care. It is plain ugly when kids or older people or anyone who is minding their own business and trying to support their team gets abused. As long as the opposing team's fan is not detracting from the enjoyment of the game from others, I don't understand why some people (and we've all seen them) get obsessed with the presence of an opposing team's fan at a game. Moreover, what kind of person gets pleasure from simply being meanspirited toward others? I think anyone who goes to a Sox game and spends an inordinate amount of time "giving hell" to fans of other teams is annoying, and most likely has some issues with needing to feel powerful. Sorta like grown up bullies. I wish such people would not come to games.

Sure, all teams have these types of fans and writing on this board is not going to anything to stop them from coming. But the descriptions of the incidents that were observed and posted in this thread should not be dismissed as "no big deal."

putherawaywet
10-06-2005, 03:50 AM
You people are a bunch of light in the loafer sissy boys. I can't believe what I'm hearing. This type of nonsense has been going on since sports were played in home towns. Perhaps we should gather opposing teams' fans and hold hands for a rendition of ring around the roses. I've never heard of a bigger non issue. Think about what you are using this great site for. boo hoo poor babies.

jcw218
10-06-2005, 04:19 AM
You people are a bunch of light in the loafer sissy boys. I can't believe what I'm hearing. This type of nonsense has been going on since sports were played in home towns. Perhaps we should gather opposing teams' fans and hold hands for a rendition of ring around the roses. I've never heard of a bigger non issue. Think about what you are using this great site for. boo hoo poor babies.

Yes good natured ribbing is expected to be tossed around and should be at sporting events, as long as it stays that way - good natured. But when that leads to abusive behavior, that's when it needs to be stopped. What the posters are tryign to say, IMO, is that one should give what one can take and to watch the language that you use. Dropping f-bombs or other cuss words every other word out of your mouth make one look like an ignorant slob who does not know how to speak. In other words, an idiot.

Just my $.02

kaufsox
10-06-2005, 09:45 AM
entirely anecdotal, but I didn't see any bad behavior in section 536. I had a pretty good view, seeing how I was 15 rows up. there was some good ribbing to the Red Sox fans who were around, but nothing too bad. Interestingly, the 3 White Sox fans next to me left for 4 innings (including the 5th!!!) and came back with the most bloodshot eyes I've seen this side of a Phish show. Perhaps my section was so mellow because it was the NORML section. :wink:

Clarkdog
10-06-2005, 10:50 AM
Last night, while watching the Comcast post-game show, there was a White Sox fan displaying a sign behind the live remote that depicted Osama Bin Laden with a Red Sox logo on his turban.

This may have been one the most insensitive and moronic things I have ever seen. It is people like this that give White Sox fans a bad rap. Thankfully a fan or Comcast staffer had the good sense to take it away from him and likely destroy it.

But the fact that he took the time to create the sign without the slightest clue of how absolutely tasteless it was - while probably thinking it was hilarious - speak volumes to this fan's stupidity.

Not only do I want this White Sox fan off the bandwagon, I want to run him over with it.

Idiot.

kittle42
10-06-2005, 11:11 AM
Last night, while watching the Comcast post-game show, there was a White Sox fan displaying a sign behind the live remote that depicted Osama Bin Laden with a Red Sox logo on his turban.

This may have been one the most insensitive and moronic things I have ever seen. It is people like this that give White Sox fans a bad rap. Thankfully a fan or Comcast staffer had the good sense to take it away from him and likely destroy it.

But the fact that he took the time to create the sign without the slightest clue of how absolutely tasteless it was - while probably thinking it was hilarious - speak volumes to this fan's stupidity.

Not only do I want this White Sox fan off the bandwagon, I want to run him over with it.

Idiot.

How true. Everyone knows Bin Laden doesn't follow baseball.

Ekwall
10-06-2005, 11:11 AM
Beyond a little good-natured ribbing, non-obnoxious fans of the opposing team should be left alone. This does not apply to people who wear Cubs jerseys to the Cell and cheer for the opposing team when we're not playing the flubs.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-06-2005, 11:36 AM

Idiot.

You should have saw the shirts they were selling last night. Many anti Cub shirts, some anti Red Sox shirts. I am embarrassed by White Sox fans who buy this crap.

I don't know if you go to bars but EPI has many Sox fans during the games and is a good Oasis from the many anti Sox fan bars in the area. I was in Tommy's last night after the game and there were many fans who came by after the game (came from Schallers Pump room after the game but needed food and their kitchen was closed).

Glad to see another NW Side White Sox fan!!!

Gavin
10-06-2005, 11:41 AM
Some tough talk here on this board. How many of you would really tell a neighboring Sox fan to "lay off it"? Especially if the offender is drunk/bigger than you/has friends?

Clarkdog
10-06-2005, 11:44 AM
I don't know if you go to bars but EPI has many Sox fans during the games and is a good Oasis from the many anti Sox fan bars in the area. I was in Tommy's last night after the game and there were many fans who came by after the game (came from Schallers Pump room after the game but needed food and their kitchen was closed).

Glad to see another NW Side White Sox fan!!!

I really had no idea that EPI was a Sox haven. I go there once in a while but never have been during the baseball season - funny enough. Maybe I'll check it out - hope to see you there! Look for the guy that chain smokes each half inning and stops smoking during the commercials.

FielderJones
10-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Some tough talk here on this board. How many of you would really tell a neighboring Sox fan to "lay off it"? Especially if the offender is drunk/bigger than you/has friends?

If he's bigger, drunk, and has friends I'll just take it to Sox Security and not say a word to the guy. Sox Security is typically bigger, sober, and has even more friends. :tongue:

voodoochile
10-06-2005, 11:49 AM

I have and would again. I actually did this at a Bears game a few years ago. The Bears opened the season on MNF to show off their new stadium and picked the Packers as their opponent... cue nightmare music... Midway through the 2nd quarter the Bears are getting creamed and this one fan is getting so loud across the aisle from our section that even I can hear the swear words. Up the stairs comes some Packer fan and this guy stands up and gets right in their face and screams "**** YOU!" The Packer fan had the good sense to keep walking.

The people in my row were clearly upset and didn't know what to do about it. During a lull in play a few minutes later, I leaned out, called out his jersey number and told him to tone it down. I did it nicely. He replied that he was just upset. I said, "we all are, but maybe you need to watch the language a bit." He got sullen but then the woman he was with told him I was right and he actually got a lot better.

Funny thing is he was sitting in PSL seats and this was the first game ever in the new stadium. If someone had reported him, he might have had his season ticket privleges revoked and I sincerely doubt he would have received a refund for his seat.

It takes guts to do the right thing even when you stand the chance of getting your ass kicked. Doesn't mean you should let it slide. It's how you say it, not what you say.

scottjanssens

I've done it many times and in the right shoes I'm 5'8".

SouthSide_HitMen
I really had no idea that EPI was a Sox haven. I go there once in a while but never have been during the baseball season - funny enough. Maybe I'll check it out - hope to see you there! Look for the guy that chain smokes each half inning and stops smoking during the commercials.

I don't go their to often but when I do everyone is cheering for the White Sox. You don't get the annoying cub fan tools you see at many other places. Even everyday cub fans like Da Coach and others are respectful of the White Sox (though some still bring up the A word "attendance").

Also, the White Sox have never lost a game I have watched at the bar (I think I am 4 - 0 or 5 - 0).

Vernam
10-06-2005, 11:51 AM
Some tough talk here on this board. How many of you would really tell a neighboring Sox fan to "lay off it"? Especially if the offender is drunk/bigger than you/has friends?Come sit in row 2 of 527 sometime and just watch me.:cool:

I'm sorry my dad (born 1911) isn't here to see the current Sox run, but the casual f-bombs by "fans" would have sent him running for the doors. All the people who swear in front of kids should have their own special section in the stands, kind of like on Bring Your Dog day.

Vernam, 6'2", 250

CaptainBallz
10-06-2005, 12:11 PM

Idiot.

Ok. You're just being prudish now. I didn't see the sign, but picturing it is hilarious. Bin Laden? A Red Sox Fan? That's funny. Chill out.

Clarkdog
10-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Ok. You're just being prudish now. I didn't see the sign, but picturing it is hilarious. Bin Laden? A Red Sox Fan? That's funny. Chill out.

What's funny is how short our memories are.

I'm sure the families of the thousands of people who lost their lives on 9/11 are busting a gut. Cuz it's a real knee-slapper.

CaptainBallz
10-06-2005, 12:43 PM
What's funny is how short our memories are.

Speak for yourself.

My point stands that you're a prude. If you even have the time to take offense to something like that, you need more hobbies. Why don't you go to Broadway and shut down "The Producers" while you're at it.

kittle42
10-06-2005, 12:57 PM
Why don't you go to Broadway and shut down "The Producers" while you're at it.

Mel Brooks already tried that when he asked Larry David to play the lead.

maurice
10-06-2005, 01:38 PM

I would and I have . . . at 5'7, 150. Drunk people don't scare me. Booze might make you brave, but it destroys your reflexes. The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

When I'm cheering the Sox at a road game, I wear a Sox hat and clap politely. IMHO, it's rude to go overboard. I really enjoy interaction with the local fans. Occassionally, they try to offend, but then they get some South Side Rhetorical Smackdown (tm) -- the best in the world -- leaving them dumbfounded or mumbling.
:gulp:

miker
10-06-2005, 01:41 PM
I must have been sitting in the right section Tuesday, because I did have some obnoxious drunks in front of me (and screaming and belching pre-teens behind me) but they were polite, obnoxious drunks...and occasionally quite amusing.

flo-B-flo
10-06-2005, 08:39 PM
A 12-14 year old shouldn't be able to go to a playoff game and enjoy the game? If they do the wrong thing at Fenway, that excuses it? This is the exact thing I was gonna write to answer that lame ass post. I once got reemed by a redcub fan at the Boston dump as I was walking back to my seat during a game. A couple of his friends bought me a beer and apologized for the ass clown behaviour of their friend. I was impressed.

LongLiveFisk
10-06-2005, 09:13 PM
West, White Sock, Mrs Ode, and I wear our Sox stuff to the Oakland Colleseum all season long and haven't had any problems. I've done the same at Fenway without any trouble.

I went to 2 White Sox/Red Sox games at Fenway (our Sox lost both of them) and was not subjected to bad treatment at all. Aside from the one smartass who said "haha" after one game and the other guy that yelled "go to Chicago!" when he saw my White Sox shirt while walking around Boston, I had a great time. (I actually think in the latter situation the guy thought I was really a local who wasn't supporting the home team) :tongue:

JBJas42
10-06-2005, 09:25 PM
The worst I saw at the game last night in my section was someone scream "down in front" and laugh as a couple of red sox fans walked out of their row, and that was actually a little funny since it was said in a good natured way. On the el to and from yesterday (in a car that had several Red Sox fans), not a negative word was spoken (although after the game, a Sox fan that had been talking to a Boston fan said "Good luck" as he left, before he said, "Well, not really.") It probably really just depends on the people you are around, but I think we are a pretty civil bunch. :rolleyes:

Soxfanspcu11
10-06-2005, 10:37 PM
You should have saw the shirts they were selling last night. Many anti Cub shirts, some anti Red Sox shirts.

Umm....is this your first sox game? Or did you forget to use teal? This has been going on FOREVER, and it's not just at comiskey, I have been to 17 major league stadiums and I have seen this bootleg style shirts at roughly 90% of them, especially during inter-league play. I don't want to attack what you said because everyone is entitled to their opinion, I just happen to not agree with you when you refer to these shirts as "crap". I hate the cubs and everything they stand for, I am PROUD to have purchased several of these shirts and so are many of my friends, but again just how I feel.

At any rate when my friend and I were at the sox vs angels game on the halfway to st pattys day, some lady, an angels "fan" yelled at us for "cheering to loud". Yes, you heard me correctly, I thought she was joking at first, but no. I looked at my friend and we both started laughing, I then said to her, "Lady, you are at a baseball game, not church, if my cheering for the WHITE SOX is too loud, just leave right now and don't ever bother me with such an idiotic statement again". And from that moment on, not a word.

I do think that people should respect their fellow fans, even if they are cheering for the opposing team. However, if a fan rooting for the visiting team, tells me to "not cheer so loud", they are going to hear about it from me. This lady is actually lucky she was not a man because things could have escalated and turned ugly. There is no need for that and people like that should be removed from the stadium and taken to the library where it's nice and quiet, unreal!

SouthSide_HitMen
10-06-2005, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by SouthSide_HitMen
You should have saw the shirts they were selling last night. Many anti Cub shirts, some anti Red Sox shirts.

Umm....is this your first sox game? Or did you forget to use teal? This has been going on FOREVER, and it's not just at comiskey, I have been to 17 major league stadiums and I have seen this bootleg style shirts at roughly 90% of them, especially during inter-league play. I don't want to attack what you said because everyone is entitled to their opinion, I just happen to not agree with you when you refer to these shirts as "crap". I hate the cubs and everything they stand for, I am PROUD to have purchased several of these shirts and so are many of my friends, but again just how I feel.

I've been attending games for several years before you were born so um no this wasn't my first game. You make the tee shirt sellers happy - they are the same people who peddle White "Sux" shirts at Wrigley and as a consumer with money to burn that is your prerogative.

I am a White Sox fan. I could care less about the Cubs or the Red Sox. The thread is "Let's clean it up Sox Fans". I didn't get into particulars about the shirts because I didn't think it was appropriate on an all ages board but it involved non appropriate graphics that should embarrass the person wearing it.

As I stated earlier in the thread if you wouldn't want your mother or grandmother see you in it or explain it to your 5 year old it is probably not appropriate. It's sad to see the depths of which society is degenerating by the second which the media and these peddlers are all too happy to profit from.

It is one thing to root against the Cubs or Red Sox or any other team we are playing. It is another to conduct yourself without dignity. White Sox fans should be focusing on our great season - not taunting Cub or Red Sox fans. To engage in inappropriate behavior just because the other person does it really sinks you to their level and you become what you hate.

Let me be clear I am not talking about a Cub logo or a Red Sox logo with a circle and slash through it or something similar. While I wouldn't buy one and I think we should focus on supporting our team vs. bashing another the shirt is appropriate in a family setting. What I was referring to were shirts not appropriate in any venue which is the point of this thread.

Soxfanspcu11
10-06-2005, 11:35 PM
Well not everyone gets overly upset for no reason. I know what shirts you are talking about and I happen to think that yes indeed they are classless, but they are also funny as hell and as I said I am proud to own them. I never used to hate the Cubs and their "community" but after constant insults from Cubs fans, I hate them with a passion so I have no problem wearing a shirt with a Cubs fan on his knees. When I was 10 years old and started going to games for the first time, I heard older people, perhaps people my age now cursing at players, wearing inappropriate clothing and stumbling around drunkenly. Did this offend me? Not at all, it's part of the game. Witnessing this behavior did not result in me turning into some crazed person or have any affect on my mental stability. If the shirts bother you, just simply don't pay attention to them. Who are you to say what is offensive? I know the phrase was previously used, " I know offensive when I see it". However what is offensive to you is likely not offensive to the next person. And if you will notice, those shirts sold outside of Comiskey sell very well. Perhaps all of these people, including myself have poor taste. And if that's the case, then so what, I can't worry if one person out of thousands is going to be offended by it.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-06-2005, 11:52 PM
Well not everyone gets overly upset for no reason. I know what shirts you are talking about and I happen to think that yes indeed they are classless, but they are also funny as hell and as I said I am proud to own them. I never used to hate the Cubs and their "community" but after constant insults from Cubs fans, I hate them with a passion so I have no problem wearing a shirt with a Cubs fan on his knees. When I was 10 years old and started going to games for the first time, I heard older people, perhaps people my age now cursing at players, wearing inappropriate clothing and stumbling around drunkenly. Did this offend me? Not at all, it's part of the game. Witnessing this behavior did not result in me turning into some crazed person or have any affect on my mental stability. If the shirts bother you, just simply don't pay attention to them. Who are you to say what is offensive? I know the phrase was previously used, " I know offensive when I see it". However what is offensive to you is likely not offensive to the next person. And if you will notice, those shirts sold outside of Comiskey sell very well. Perhaps all of these people, including myself have poor taste. And if that's the case, then so what, I can't worry if one person out of thousands is going to be offended by it.

Well I am not going to debate this any further with someone who thinks it isn't cheating or shoplifting unless you are caught. I can say I have been to over 20 games this year and though I see those shirts for sale at everyone of them I have yet to see a person wear one at the game or outside of it.

I think you proved my point - When you hate someone for their behavior (constant insults from Cub fans) and then engage in the same behavior you have become what you hate.

FarWestChicago
10-07-2005, 12:00 AM
When you hate someone for their behavior (constant insults from Cub fans) and then engage in the same behavior you have become what you hate.You are correct, but I suspect that is way over the head of the other guy.

kittle42
10-07-2005, 12:15 AM
You are correct, but I suspect that is way over the head of the other guy.

I'll agree with you here, West. Anyone who describes the "Cub fan on his knees" shirt as "funny as hell"... :rolleyes:

Domeshot17
10-07-2005, 12:16 AM
You know, I feel very torn on this issue (the tshirts). Last night I went to the first game with my dad in 4 years, since he moved out and divorced my mom. He loved the worlds largest gay bar t shirt, because he wanted to wear it just for his friends that are cubs fans, the guy went 2 for 20, so I got one to wear around my friends that are cubs fans. I think that is okay, but like this morning, I woke up for class and grabbed for a shirt out of my drawer, happened to be on top, and upon realizing, I changed, as to not insult anyone who might be gay at my college. I think wearing the shirt to bash a few good buddies is no worse than calling them Gay, Homo, or Retarded.

I also agree with the Osama Bin Laden picture being completely wrong. I was seated behind a family of red sox fans in section 155, as they walked by, I told the dad and his 8-10 year old son not all White Sox fans are that tasteless, and he said no problem, The Red Sox have fans like that as well. After the game in the tunnells there was a little girl crying because of the loss, again between 5 and 10. My girlfriend, in her podsednik jersey, gave her a hug when we got outside onto the street and told her dont feel bad, Boston has a great team, and they just won the world series last year, and the little girl said I know, and I hope if we dont win it you do, and not the sticky Yankees. The Tunnell quickly killed the RED SOX SUCK chant, and turned it into our typical LETS GO WHITE SOX.

In line for food, some drunk White Sox Fan tried to cut off a Boston Fan in the row next to me, and told him **** You White Sox Fans first, The entire line of Sox fans told the guy to basically get lost, in a few more words, and the Boston guy thanked everyone and said it was the first mean thing he had heard in both games.

I guess the point of my stories from game 2 are this, ALL teams will have the minority being classless jerks, Lets keep doing our job of keeping it all in spirit, and with class. Lets not get the reputation of Cubs Fans, our REP is and SHOULD always be Fans of the Game who Know the game at the park FOR THE GAME, lets not sink to north side level and become FANS WHO LOVE TO DRINK AND GET ROWDY WITH THE OTHER TEAM. We already got some morons running on the field years ago bringing us down, lets keep winning with class, on and off the field.

FarWestChicago
10-07-2005, 12:19 AM
I'll agree with you here, West. Anyone who describes the "Cub fan on his knees" shirt as "funny as hell"... :rolleyes:You haven't see anything until you've seen his slight misinterpretation of the "observer effect" in quantum mechanics:

Post 19 (http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58824)

:redneck

CLR01
10-07-2005, 12:22 AM
Lets not get the reputation of Cubs Fans, our REP is and SHOULD always be Fans of the Game who Know the game at the park FOR THE GAME, lets not sink to north side level and become FANS WHO LOVE TO DRINK AND GET ROWDY WITH THE OTHER TEAM.

You just described soxfanspcu11 perfectly.

kittle42
10-07-2005, 12:23 AM
However, if a fan rooting for the visiting team, tells me to "not cheer so loud", they are going to hear about it from me. This lady is actually lucky she was not a man because things could have escalated and turned ugly.

Thankfully, she was not a man, because then your *completely* unneccessary "escalation" (which I assume to mean something physical) would have just added to the ridiculous stereotype of Sox fans as drunken, fighting buffoons.

You know, I have one of the biggest mouths of anyone I have ever met. I speak my mind frequently, in public, and probably often embarrass mysrlf or someone I'm with. I have gotten into many verbal altercations over sports, politics, and lord knows what else. But I have *never* gotten into a fight. You know why? Because I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid. :smile:

kittle42
10-07-2005, 12:26 AM
You haven't see anything until you've seen his slight misinterpretation of the "observer effect" in quantum mechanics:

Post 19 (http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58824)

:redneck

That was great. I thought of the murderer argument right before I saw Nellie post it. Just superb.

And, of course, he misused "your." :cool:

Domeshot17
10-07-2005, 12:28 AM
Originally Posted by Soxfanspcu11
However, if a fan rooting for the visiting team, tells me to "not cheer so loud", they are going to hear about it from me. This lady is actually lucky she was not a man because things could have escalated and turned ugly.

The old saying nothing good comes from physical fighting has made me think is SoxFanspcu11 fashion.

IF one good thing has to come from drunken morons fighting, It's that they get banned from the ball park, and we dont have to deal with them anymore. I do not condone Ball Park Brawls. I have had my temper take all it could at twins and cubs games, but you just enjoy the victory, or the loss, tell them to read the standings tommrow, nothing really has changed. Outside of sports, one of the few good things I learned from my dad was if someone throws a punch at you, defend yourself. But the measure of a real man is that he didnt throw the first punch.

!Winning=Fung!
10-07-2005, 12:33 AM
You guys serious? They know what they are getting into. If they didn't know about the south side, now they know and they won't show up again.

You expect to go to Fenway with a White Sox jersey to get Ben Afflack treatment? We might be worse, but what are they thinking as they drive towards the cell?

This is the playoffs, we give it to rival fans in the regular season, and we sure going to give it more now. Maybe it's my 20 year old, monday half price ticket going, bias. It is how it is.

FarWestChicago
10-07-2005, 12:36 AM
Maybe it's my 20 year old, monday half price ticket going, bias. It is how it is. Well, either that or an IQ issue:

:dumbass:

kittle42
10-07-2005, 12:39 AM
You guys serious? They know what they are getting into. If they didn't know about the south side, now they know and they won't show up again.

You expect to go to Fenway with a White Sox jersey to get Ben Afflack treatment? We might be worse, but what are they thinking as they drive towards the cell?

This is the playoffs, we give it to rival fans in the regular season, and we sure going to give it more now. Maybe it's my 20 year old, monday half price ticket going, bias. It is how it is.

Just when I thought this thread couldn't get more ludicrous. "If they didn't know about the south side, now they know and they won't show up again." THE EXACT THING THE MEDIA TRIES TO FEED PEOPLE ALL THE DAMN TIME and you, a "Sox fan," have to perpetuate it?

Genius. I so cannot stand the caveman mentality. Who are these people? Who raised them? Where did they grow up?

FarWestChicago
10-07-2005, 12:41 AM
Just when I thought this thread couldn't get more ludicrous. "If they didn't know about the south side, now they know and they won't show up again." THE EXACT THING THE MEDIA TRIES TO FEED PEOPLE ALL THE DAMN TIME and you, a "Sox fan," have to perpetuate it?

Genius. I so cannot stand the caveman mentality. Who are these people? Who raised them? Where did they grow up?Complete idiots, absolutely unreal. The difference between them and Lique is??? :?:

TaylorStSox
10-07-2005, 12:42 AM

This is coming from a guy who's from Berwyn/Dekalb. Wow. :rolleyes:

Sox fans are tired of the stereotypes associated with Bridgeport. :dtroll:

kittle42
10-07-2005, 12:42 AM
Complete idiots, absolutely unreal. The difference between them and Lique is??? :?:

They attack people and haven't gotten caught, so much like the tree in the forest and the non-shoplifting shoplifters, and unlike William Ligue, they are not assailants.

Domeshot17
10-07-2005, 12:47 AM
You know, I feel like a very old 20 year old after that HEY THEY KNOW WHO WE ARE WE WILL MESS YOU UP FROM BOSTON DONT COME BACK post. I mean no one is saying give them the royal treatment so they come back, the point being made is, you dont have to be a moron about it. Especially in playoff baseball, Dont go nuts with some profanity filled tear on a red sox fan if his 8 year old son or daughter is in the next seat.

I mean I guess people dont really get it. Mark Buehlre Strikes out David Ortiz, and you want to tell Ortiz he sucks and swear a lot. WHY NOT CHEER YOUR BUTT OFF FOR BUEHLRE, AND GET BEHIND YOUR TEAM, AND QUIT WORRYING ABOUT THE RED SOX

Chisox003
10-07-2005, 12:47 AM

Your first post in 5 months, and this is what you come up with?

:thud:

CLR01
10-07-2005, 12:48 AM
Your first post in 5 months, and this is what you come up with?

:thud:

Jail time?

FarWestChicago
10-07-2005, 12:50 AM
I mean I guess people dont really get it. Mark Buehlre Strikes out David Ortiz, and you want to tell Ortiz he sucks and swear a lot. WHY NOT CHEER YOUR BUTT OFF FOR BUEHLRE, AND GET BEHIND YOUR TEAM, AND QUIT WORRYING ABOUT THE RED SOXYou get it, and that's excellent! :thumbsup:

voodoochile
10-07-2005, 01:45 AM
You know, I feel like a very old 20 year old after that HEY THEY KNOW WHO WE ARE WE WILL MESS YOU UP FROM BOSTON DONT COME BACK post. I mean no one is saying give them the royal treatment so they come back, the point being made is, you dont have to be a moron about it. Especially in playoff baseball, Dont go nuts with some profanity filled tear on a red sox fan if his 8 year old son or daughter is in the next seat.

I mean I guess people dont really get it. Mark Buehlre Strikes out David Ortiz, and you want to tell Ortiz he sucks and swear a lot. WHY NOT CHEER YOUR BUTT OFF FOR BUEHLRE, AND GET BEHIND YOUR TEAM, AND QUIT WORRYING ABOUT THE RED SOX

Well, you know Ortiz will surely become afraid if some idiot in the stands is screaming "**** YOU!!!" really loudly. It's sure to throw him off his game and help the Sox win...:rolleyes:

Mohoney
10-07-2005, 02:58 AM
How a team that is up 2-0 does not have the full attention of its fanbase is beyond me.

It's the first playoff series here in 5 years, and the Cubs are still on your minds?

The Cubs are playing golf right now. We're not.

OEO Magglio
10-07-2005, 03:07 AM
The jerks are most likely bandwagoners. Talking about it here or Wills on the radio isn't likely to do good. As was mentioned the only thing that will change this is to take a stand against it then and there.

A few times this season I've seen security escort idiots throwing peanuts at people. Once security knows what's going on they don't hesitate to take action. Sometimes it's a warning, sometimes it's immediate ejection.
Bingo. Most people here are just there to watch the games, I know I personally didn't say one thing to a bosox fan either game, they're here to watch a baseball game, as long as their not causing any trouble let them watch their team in peace.

PeteWard
10-07-2005, 05:26 AM
This is coming from a guy who's from Berwyn/Dekalb. Wow.

Sox fans are tired of the stereotypes associated with Bridgeport.

Damn straight, laddie!

http://img1.travelblog.org/Photos/1067/11379/f/47654-Drunk-Irishman-0.jpg

Milw
10-07-2005, 07:37 AM
I one and only time I was at Fenway to catch a White Sox game in Boston I:

1)had peanuts thrown at me

2)had beer poured on me

3)cigarettes flicked at me

4)punch thrown at me

5)things shouted at me

Fenway security was reluctant to do anything until the White Sox scored, I clapped (still sitting down, saying nothing) and a guy in front of me turned around and swung.

I had a similar experience at Fenway in 2001. Although it didn't turn violent, we had plenty of objects and profanities hurled our way, and my buddy was even plunked in the side of the head with a half-eaten hot dog.

That said, just because our opponents are jackasses doesn't mean we should reciprocate. Sox Fans are passionate, loud and knowledgeable, and we're also classy. If you see anyone wearing Sox gear who is unclassy, it's your duty as part of Sox Army to have that person reprimanded by security.

Vernam
10-07-2005, 08:40 AM
You know, I feel like a very old 20 year old after that HEY THEY KNOW WHO WE ARE WE WILL MESS YOU UP FROM BOSTON DONT COME BACK post. I mean no one is saying give them the royal treatment so they come back, the point being made is, you dont have to be a moron about it. Especially in playoff baseball, Dont go nuts with some profanity filled tear on a red sox fan if his 8 year old son or daughter is in the next seat.Domeshot, I commend you on being a pretty clear-thinking 20-year-old. Just omit the "if his 8 year old son or daughter is in the next seat," and you'll be all the way there. The rules of conduct don't say, "Abusive conduct will not be tolerated if young children are present." Abusive conduct will not be tolerated. Period.

For Winning=Fung, the ratio of sensible to belligerent posts in this thread ought to convince you that your views are way off-base. Go ahead and do what you will, but don't ever think you're acting on behalf of real Sox fans. If you're sitting near me, I'll have security on you before the first inning's over.

To everyone else, please do give people like this one warning when you're at the park, then get security immediately if they keep cursing at or threatening other fans of either team. The Sox will put an end to it. The system works.

Vernam

PatK
10-07-2005, 09:32 AM
Complete idiots, absolutely unreal. The difference between them and Lique is??? :?:

A mullet and a couple of bad tattos.

SweetnesSox
10-07-2005, 09:46 AM
No one should have to pay money (especially lots of it for a playoff ticket, perhaps even a flight over here +hotel, which i hear is less expensive than just a ticket at Fenway) just to get harassed. Especially kids. I'm a psych major, and "little things" like "having fun" with a little kid may make them fearful of ever wanting to come to a Sox game again. it may even make them fearful of all sporting events or anywhere with a large group of people. You may find it as a good time, but these people didn't pay good money to sit down for an hour and leave because they feel humiliated.
ever hear of "be the bigger man"? If you can't be bigger than a child, maybe we can set up some counseling...

spiffie
10-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Just my few thoughts on this:

1. The whole thing really depends on the demeanor of the people involved. I've gone to the crosstown games at Wrigley in my Sox gear and had good-natured ribbing with Cub fans where we got on each other but no one was doing it with any real malice. If everyone involved wants to play along it's all good. But if, like the two late teenage girls in Red Sox gear in my section on Wed, they just are sitting quietly watching the game, cheering when their team scores but otherwise keeping quiet, I leave them be, and think others ought to do the same.

2. Can I be amused by the shirts outside the ballpark if my mother thinks they're funny, and I got my depraved sense of humor from her? Or does the "mother/grandmother" test only apply if you come from more refined parentage than I do? ;)

3. I've been going to baseball games 20 years. I have gotten into one physical altercation that had nothing to do with the game, but rather with 8 innings of sexual harassment of my then girlfriend. Not surprisingly, it was also the one time I was ever in the bleachers at Wrigley. I really can't ever see any reason to get into a fistfight over something as inessential as baseball.

4. My roommate, an absolutely flaming gay guy and converted Sox fan, was compelled to buy the "wrigley: world's largest gay bar" shirt. I don't know what that means, but I thought it was hilarious when I saw it happen.

Sad
10-07-2005, 09:54 AM
A mullet and a couple of bad tattos.

don't forget his 6-toed offspring... :tongue:

maurice
10-07-2005, 10:24 AM
This is coming from a guy who's from Berwyn/Dekalb. Wow. :rolleyes:

I was thinking the same thing. Notice that none of these people actually are from the South Side . . . or even Chicago for that matter? Probably another one of the many people who say they are "from Chicago" or "live on the South Side," whenever they leave the metro area. Heck, the other day I saw an idiot with a t-shirt claiming that Orland Park was on the South Side.
:rolleyes:

rdwj
10-07-2005, 10:37 AM
No one should have to pay money (especially lots of it for a playoff ticket, perhaps even a flight over here +hotel, which i hear is less expensive than just a ticket at Fenway) just to get harassed. Especially kids. I'm a psych major, and "little things" like "having fun" with a little kid may make them fearful of ever wanting to come to a Sox game again. it may even make them fearful of all sporting events or anywhere with a large group of people. You may find it as a good time, but these people didn't pay good money to sit down for an hour and leave because they feel humiliated.
ever hear of "be the bigger man"? If you can't be bigger than a child, maybe we can set up some counseling...

Sorry - you're just taking it too far.

I wouldn't throw anything, or scream profanities at opposing fans, but I'm not above booing them whenever I see them or a loud "how 'bout those White Sox" when opposing fans pass by. I also thought the section that sang the "na na - hey hey - goodbye" song as Boston fans left was nothing short of fantastic.

Ol' No. 2
10-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Sorry - you're just taking it too far.

I wouldn't throw anything, or scream profanities at opposing fans, but I'm not above booing them whenever I see them or a loud "how 'bout those White Sox" when opposing fans pass by. I also thought the section that sang the "na na - hey hey - goodbye" song as Boston fans left was nothing short of fantastic.I think you need to exercise a little discretion as to exactly who the other fans are. The situation is completely different if you're talking about 20-something fans as opposed to kids or elderly people.

If you look back at my original post that started this thread, there were a couple of elderly Red Sox fans who were being harassed. This is beyond the pale as far as I'm concerned.

rdwj
10-07-2005, 10:54 AM
I think you need to exercise a little discretion as to exactly who the other fans are. The situation is completely different if you're talking about 20-something fans as opposed to kids or elderly people.

If you look back at my original post that started this thread, there were a couple of elderly Red Sox fans who were being harassed. This is beyond the pale as far as I'm concerned.

Ya, you're right. I don't think I do anything that could be considered harassing anyway. I booed a bunch of people outside the park that had Boston stuff on, but always smiled afterwards. It's just fun stuff.

I don't think I'd EVER say anything to a little kid even slightly threatening and would be the first guy to tell somebody to lighten up if I saw it happening. I do, however, make sure to include the little guys when the high-fives are flying.

I'm firmly in the razz in moderation crowd (and consider your audience). Stay away from profanities, physical confrontations and verbal abuse and you're just having fun at the old ball park!

voodoochile
10-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Ya, you're right. I don't think I do anything that could be considered harassing anyway. I booed a bunch of people outside the park that had Boston stuff on, but always smiled afterwards. It's just fun stuff.

I don't think I'd EVER say anything to a little kid even slightly threatening and would be the first guy to tell somebody to lighten up if I saw it happening. I do, however, make sure to include the little guys when the high-fives are flying.

I'm firmly in the razz in moderation crowd (and consider your audience). Stay away from profanities, physical confrontations and verbal abuse and you're just having fun at the old ball park!

Exactly. There's a big difference between some friendly trash talking between adults and threatening to pee on a 13 YO kid.

I regularly boo the first jersey of the opposing team I see every game in every sport - The fan in question never gets angry because I don't get in their face or starts swearing/screaming - just a little ribbing.

I also use this line all the time at Chili's - "We don't serve (insert name of team from ballcap/t-shirt guest is wearing here) fans here." I did it last night with some guy who walked into the restaurant in a flubbie cap. He smiled. Later I went back to talk to him and we joked around about baseball and Chicago and talked about the Bears and I found out he graduated from the same HS I did and grew up in Hyde Park just like I did. He's about 10 years younger than me, so I didn't go to school with him but it was still way cool - small world and all that.

Sports shouldn't tear us down, they should bring us together. People who want to fight or pee on strangers because of the jersey they are wearing or any of that just don't get it - and I can name tons of stories from sports history that brought people together. You ain't playing, your intensity means very little to the outcome of the game. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be intense, just don't let it become violent or abusive. They have a word for people like that - soccer hooligans. They are idiots and anyone who acts like them is an idiot too...

TommyJohn
10-07-2005, 11:06 AM
You ain't playing, your intensity means very little to the outcome of the game. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be intense, just don't let it become violent or abusive. They have a word for people like that - soccer hooligans. They are idiots and anyone who acts like them is an idiot too...

Unless, of course, we're talking about a fan who deflects a foul ball. Then fans
who abuse and threaten him and his family, or vow to strangle him with bare
hands are not sociopathic nuts, they are loyal, dedicated, passionate fans
who love their team. Just ask that unbiased journalist Lester Munson.

rdwj
10-07-2005, 11:09 AM
"We don't serve (insert name of team from ballcap/t-shirt guest is wearing here) fans here."

I like that one. My favorite line is reserved for when I'm standing behind someone in the bathroom with an opposing jersey (seems to usually be Cub fans). I use, "Don't <insert team> fans usually sit down when they pee?"

Always good for some laughs.

Vernam
10-07-2005, 11:58 AM
I also use this line all the time at Chili's - "We don't serve (insert name of team from ballcap/t-shirt guest is wearing here) fans here." I did it last night with some guy who walked into the restaurant in a flubbie cap. He smiled. Later I went back to talk to him and we joked around about baseball and Chicago and talked about the Bears and I found out he graduated from the same HS I did and grew up in Hyde Park just like I did. He's about 10 years younger than me, so I didn't go to school with him but it was still way cool - small world and all that. All well and good, but then you did go ahead and kick the guy's ass, right? :redneck

Vernam

SweetnesSox
10-07-2005, 12:37 PM
yeah I'm not talking about booing or even ribbing em a little, but throwing things? Or yelling profanities? Let's all remember that very little seperates a White Sox fan and a Red Sox fan. we all love the game of baseball. IMO, the people who throw things (or even get hammered at a ball game) aren't fans at all. You came to support the white sox as well as represent them. Why don't we prove that we're different than the north siders?